Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,839 members, 7,838,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23762 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 10:17pm On Jun 15, 2008
akinalabi:

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I've got a question for you guys
living in the UK.

Which station is showing the Euros?

I'm asking because there is one dodgy station on HITV where I
saw Richard Keys anchoring the studios and the guests were
Peter Reid and Trveor Francis.

That's a SKY SPORTS crew.

Jackal and other. What do you think?

The stations showing Euros are BBC and ITV(1 and 4).
Matter of fact, they alternate it. . . . . The 2 of em have not shown the same match LIVE.
The station you are talking about could be SKY PREMIER. I have it on ma dodgy satellite.
It's beamed to Non-UK viewers. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by akinalabi(m): 10:27pm On Jun 15, 2008
Jackal:

Matter of fact, they alternate it. . . . . The 2 of em have not shown the same match LIVE.
The station you are talking about could be SKY PREMIER. I have it on ma dodgy satellite.

Thanks for that mate.

I was wondering how a SKY SPORTS lifer cheesy like Richard Keys
could anchor a non SKY SPORTS channel.

I'll take a closer look on the channel from now on.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 10:38pm On Jun 15, 2008
akinalabi:

Thanks for that mate.

I was wondering how a SKY SPORTS lifer cheesy like Richard Keys
could anchor a non SKY SPORTS channel.

I'll take a closer look on the channel from now on.

I am not quite sure BSKYB owns that channel. . . .
People like Richard Keys & Andy Gray must be bored these days. . .
Once England got knocked out of Euros, SKY withdrew their rights to broadcast the tournament.
It became a field day for useless stations like BBC and ITV(Their analysis of the game has been shambolic so far.)
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by eldee(m): 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2008
Jackal:

U've got that dodgy satellite too? shocked shocked
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 11:27pm On Jun 15, 2008
eldee:

You've got that dodgy satellite too? shocked shocked

I have had it for years now. . . .
It's ma best friend. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by eldee(m): 11:30pm On Jun 15, 2008
Jackal:

I have had it for years now. . . .
It's ma best friend. grin cheesy
I'm getting it soon
What free channels do you get?
And does it have HD Channels too?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 11:56pm On Jun 15, 2008
European channels.

All premiership games SKY don't show.
Non-English commentaries.
350 pounds(one payment for LIFE).
Channels like Viva, Viva+, Onyx, Chai TV, Nile TV, JSTV, CFI and MTV.
Please, mount it at the back of your house if u are residing in London. I wont be held accountable if the pigs come calling.
Sky mini-dish in the front, Dodgy dish at the back. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 7:47am On Jun 16, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

I just don't see the Dutch winning this at all tongue

yes, they are playing so beautifully well at the moment but arent they known to have lost their steam in like manner hitherto ?

what of their defence ? PATHETIC !

u don't win the Euro with a pathetic defence, does anyone still wonder what difference Greece had that made it win the last Euro ? the FACT THAT THEIR DEFENDERS WERE SO DISCIPLINED AND COMPOSED !

if the average Dutch defender is run at, just watch how jittery he gets, clearing the ball into safety grin grin

The FRENCH havent surprised me in any manner ! Domenech is the biggest dolts of all time - - -what was Gomis doing on that field ? MALOUDA ? what was Nasri and Benzema doing on the bench ? shocked

well, u reap what u sow . . .left to me HENRY tried his best and Ribery was way too much on top his game plus he is now being saddled with too much responsibility since the exit of Zizou, no one to complement him especially as that fool called Malouda is just a[i] malu [/i] grin grin

Well said Kit, It would be a miracle if the dutch were to win it with that defence of theirs. Ooijer and Khalid look jittery most of the time only impressive guy has been Giovani van B. However, so far the dutch have employed the best attacking system. A blend of Fleet footed (RObben,Van P) and creative (Sneijder,Van der Vaart) midfielders. RVN upfront gives them an option aerially too unlike Spain (tho they have a Guiza on the bench). Nijel de Jong has been impressive too snappin on the heels of opposing midfielders.

Their counter attacking is sumtimes out of this world and can murder any team ask the Azzuri. Now who said they were goin to miss Seedorf??

Meanwhile my Azzuri "compatriots" have it all to do as i know they cant lose to France but even if they win and roMANIa win they r out, However i dont see Romania getting more than a draw against Holland. So they just have to win against France. Donadoni blew it tactically in the first game as the 4-3-3 left em loose against a brilliant attacking side. However luck was against them in the Romania game but they attacked brilliantly sumtimes especially with Grosso from the left.

Cassano and Camo to support Toni against France while the rest of the team should remain the same. I see em winning France. But Hollland Romaniaaaa.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tkb417(m): 9:44am On Jun 16, 2008
See analysis paralysis
How can you guys say the dutch defence has been shambolic?
where are the facts?
those that are supposed to have the good defence with the good goalkeepers are conceeding in tons!!!

The Dutch have concerted just one goal no thanks to the sublime skills of Thiery Henry.
The French got 4 goals in the net, the Italians got 3 goals!! so based on this, who has got the best defence?
Are you guys seeing VDS? hes gunning for the best goalie this year!!
Pirlo wouldnt want to see him anytime soon.

The Dutch for the finals!!!
I'll prefer Holland vs Portugal or Holland vs Spain but i doubt if the spaniards can hold their own.
Go go the oranje bois

who saw cech yesterday? he needs an helmet on his head not that thing he has.
he needs to take a sabbatical for few months. hes done the same mistake like thrice this season!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 11:12am On Jun 16, 2008
@ tkb417,

Don't be too sure of Holland, Spain and Portugal.
I still think the Dutch side have peaked TOO EARLY in thos tournament to be considered favourites.
Same thing happened to Argentina and when it got to the crunch, they lost the gas to fire on.
Sides that improve considerably as the tournament wears on are always the most DANGEORUS.
Write off Italy, Germany and France at your own peril. . . . . Italy and Germany are the best at starting slow and finishing superbly.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by djcrucifix(m): 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2008
i can't shout, UP HOLLAND!!! cool cool cool
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 3:05pm On Jun 16, 2008
Jackal:

@ tkb417,

Don't be too sure of Holland, Spain and Portugal.
I still think the Dutch side have peaked TOO EARLY in thos tournament to be considered favourites.
Same thing happened to Argentina and when it got to the crunch, they lost the gas to fire on.
Sides that improve considerably as the tournament wears on are always the most DANGEORUS.
Write off Italy, Germany and France at your own peril. . . . . Italy and France are the best at starting slow and finishing superbly.

wa sere padi mi !!! wink

exactly what I have been saying cheesy

@Loyika

I was conferred my doctorate by the one and only Le Chac . . . u don forget those days of wimps and cretins invasion of the Sports section ? undecided cool
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Fadajasi(m): 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2008
Up turkey! E go be like greece 2004
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 5:41pm On Jun 16, 2008
so what if the dutch impressed too early?

the dutch are playing great football. for the fact that they rained goals on the french immediately after henry's goal tells u that they are a team with character.

they knew the worst could happen after henry scored, and what did they do? they got scared and wary and upped their game and destroyed france.

the oranje boys are just too mean.the only team i see beating them is portugal. but they have van der Sar who can always help them.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2008
bgees:

so what if the dutch impressed too early?

the dutch are playing great football. for the fact that they rained goals on the french immediately after henry's goal tells u that they are a team with character.

they knew the worst could happen after henry scored, and what did they do? they got scared and wary and upped their game and destroyed france.

the oranje boys are just too mean.the only team i see beating them is portugal. but they have van der Sar who can always help them.

Have u thunk of what would happen if the Dutch are chasing a game?
Can they maintain their discipline at the back if they are losing by a goal or two?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 5:48pm On Jun 16, 2008
jackal,

that remains to be seen.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 6:00pm On Jun 16, 2008
bgees:

jackal,

that remains to be seen.

My wealth of experience in competitions like this have told me early bloomers like this always come short in the knock-out stages.
A freaky goal against em will really test their mental strength and discipline. I wouldn't be bovvered if they have had to claw back victories like Turkey did last night.

Argentina had the same boost of energy at the last world cup. Beating teams up and down cos they always got the 1st decisive goal.
When the crunch time came, they got leggy and couldn't deliver when it mattered the most.
Anyways, letz wait and see.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 6:27pm On Jun 16, 2008
I am very confused at what some people are posting here.The DUTCH have a dodgy defence etc conceding just one goal against superpowers like France and Italy i mean how else do you define a watertight defence?And no one watching that game will tell me that the Dutch where not tested especially the France game and even against Italy when Del Piero and Grosso came on if they could demolish those teams who in these Euros should they fear?There is also something i have noted in this Dutch side they go for every tackle every ball they are playing with some grit damnit

@Jackal
Argentina thrashed a woeful Serbia and Montenegro not Italy and France.The best form of defence is attack and when you look at Robben and RVP on the bench you begin to wonder.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 6:31pm On Jun 16, 2008
Petr Cech i think his first step to recovery is doing away with that helmet it seems to be impairing his vision
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2008
A-40:

@Jackal
Argentina thrashed a woeful Serbia and Montenegro not Italy and France.The best form of defence is attack and when you look at Robben and RVP on the bench you begin to wonder.

Woeful Serbia n Montenegro? A team that qualified for the world cup conceding just 1 goal in more than 12 qualifying games was woeful?
Blimey. . . . . . U guys make me laugh.
Anyways, i would be waiting to see your excuses if the Dutch team gets beaten.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:16pm On Jun 16, 2008
@Jackal
Where France and Italy in their qualifying group? How did they perform in the tournament proper didnt they lose even to Ivory Coast they lost all 3 group games it doesnt get any more woeful than that!

Blimey, You are the one making yourself laugh
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Jun 16, 2008
Comrades,

We all have to thank God that England is not around to spoil this wonderful spectacle. They should actually be banned for the next 20 years. Worst set of coaches in Europe none of them is good enough to coach the top clubs, Worst referees: no one has surpassed graham Poll's record of 3 yellows to one player at a tournament.
Worst set of players: one controversial cup win in over 100 years.

Back to the Euro's . of all the teams that have impressed to date; Spain, Croatia, Portugal and holland. i would say the Spaniard are the least likely to win and portugal has the highest chance amongst the 4 of them because of Scolari experience. He knows how to play dirty if need be. Anyone remember Portugal vs Holland at the last world cup?

If the italians and the germans make it to the Q-finals I figure they would be difficult to knock out and might go all the way.

N.B: I told some people months ago that Fabregas can never start for Spain but those Gayyners think he is the best thing after sliced bread. But Aragones does not think so.

Also in tournaments the most attractive teams dont win i.e Who got out of the blocks fastest It is a marathon, . Who remembers czech in 2004, Argentina in 2006, Portugal in 2000, Holland in 1998, England in 1996 e.t.c they might burn out and the Grtit of the German, Italians/French might come to play.

Straight to the stadium to see the mannschaft
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:34pm On Jun 16, 2008
@dayokanu
How about the Brazil of Korea/Japan 2002? Germany hmm their defence is weak so i wont take them serious their game against Belarus before the Euros is a pointer to that.I wont rate France either Zizou is gone so i expect no magic from them either the only team i fear are the Italians
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 7:39pm On Jun 16, 2008
A whacked defence got Germany to the 2nd and 3rd place at the last 2 world cups Brazil had it rough in their first game against Turkey, They had to resort to theatrics a la Rivaldo
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2008
This Dayokanu will never change with his shallow mentality.
England is not around and reh reh reh. . . . what has Germany done in the tournament?
They have been so disappointing. Croatia tamed em and made em look like poofs.

When was the last time any German club played in the finals of UCL?
Even Bayern Munich were humbled by a Russian club? It's pathetic.
Shit country, shit managers, shit people, shit fans.
Dig out ur head from ur ass, poofie!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2008
@dayokanu
I used to like Germany too but after the likes of Klinsmann,Moller,Sammer,Ziege,Hassler,Mathaeus etc retired they have been shyte.

The World cup can be a misleading barometer to judge a good team sometimes if not tell me why the Germans didnt win a single game in Euro 2000 and 2004 they are only improving a bit now because they are in a soft group if you ask me.In Korea/Japan did they face any decent team?Saudi Arabia,Ireland,Cameroun,USA,South Korea the only good team they met was Brazil and we all know what happened
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2008
@ A-40,

God bless you.

2002 World cup will always be noted as the worst in terms of quality and disappointments.
The only big team Brazil played was Germany(in the final). Brazil met Turkey(TWICE), Costa, Rica, China, and Belgium.
When u have a competition that allowed TURKEY and Korea to play in the S/finals then you know the world cup was shambolic.
Germany is not what it used to be again after England raped em in 5-1 in 2001. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by mystikal(m): 9:16pm On Jun 16, 2008
Jackal:

2002 World cup will always be noted as the worst in terms of quality and disappointments.

what if Italy, France, Spain, Argentina were dissappointing at the 2002 WC? it doesnt make tht WC any less brilliant.
Skorea and Turkey played the semi finals because they deserved it.
Its like saying USA 94 was crap because Sweden and Bulgaria played 3rd place instead of france, argentina or spain.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:24am On Jun 17, 2008
Mystical,
May God Bless you. France and Argentina were sent out in the Groups. Korea Eliminated Spain and Italy. It required a German team to dislodge the Korean menace.
If those 4 had kept up their game

Shit country-With 3 World Cup and 3 Euro cups. Compare that with England 1 world cup 0 Euro cup.,

shit managers- They never use a foreign coach, The coach of the Euro defending Champion is German,

shit people - They most industrialised country in Europe,

shit fans- Supported by Kaiser Beckenbauer, Rumminege, Gerd Muller Dayokanu and other legends;
England, Supported by Gazza-A Drug addict, Folahann, Jackal and other nobodies need I say more.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:46am On Jun 17, 2008
Sorry to stray from the topic. I saw this post in the earlier part of this thread
So this pederast is still alive? You have become a foreign body since United won the holy grail. Do u still think Hitzfeld is better than Ferguson?

@ Hucarson,
Congrats Fergie has joined the league of two UCL winners joining Ancelloti, Del Bosque, and Hitzfeld.

Make the judgement yourself. A coach won 2 UCL within 10 years another won 2 in 22 years which one is better. A student solved a question in 2 hours another in 2 weeks Yes they both solved the question but their level of intelligence cant be the same. If you leave folahan,toba and Jackal (who without any doubt are the most moronic people alive) for 100years they would win the UCL with Arsenal (When other clubs Boycott)
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 7:48am On Jun 17, 2008
dayokanu:

Sorry to stray from the topic. I saw this post in the earlier part of this thread
@ Hucarson,
Congrats Fergie has joined the league of two UCL winners joining Ancelloti, Del Bosque, and Hitzfeld.

Make the judgement yourself. A coach won 2 UCL within 10 years another won 2 in 22 years which one is better. A student solved a question in 2 hours another in 2 weeks Yes they both solved the question but their level of intelligence can't be the same. If you leave folahan,toba and Jackal (who without any doubt are the most moronic people alive) for 100years they would win the UCL with Arsenal (When other clubs Boycott)

LOLZ

Hilarious but well said.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by akinalabi(m): 9:30am On Jun 17, 2008
@ dayokanu,

You've come again with this Fergie Hitzfield thing.

You used to say that simply because Hitzfield won more UCL than
Fergie, that makes him better and that the UEFA cups and the
winners cups of this world and every other thing else do not matter.

Now Fergie has won 2 UCL and you've turned it to the time frame.

That won't cut it with me buddy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Secures Syinix Electronics Endorsement Deal / Stars Who Missed Out On World Cup / Oshoala Scores Another Brace As Barcelona Defeat Huelva In The Queen's Cup.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.