Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,670 members, 7,865,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 11:51 PM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23831 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 4:40am On Jun 19, 2008
Karim Benzema was outstanding for France in the qualifiers thus he has shown that he can deliver on the international stage.

Toulalan was the 3rd best player in France's 07/08 player of the season awards and you are claiming he is "ok" because you haven't seen news reports linking him with other clubs.I guess the latter is a more valid of judging a player than actually watching him perform.

Of course, the Boumsong selection was daft but even then,Sagna and Clichy haven't done enough to warrant a selection in the French squad in any case.Sagna is no better than Reveillere who didn't even make it. Which coach will pick Clichy ahead of Abidal and Evra? If those 2(Sagna and Clichy) had actually performed for France when they had the opportunity,they would have had a stronger case.Don't tell me that Clichy's underwhelming performances for France's 2nd string side make him a viable candidate for the 1st side. You are effectively saying that a player should be selected for the national team on the basis of his club form irrespective of his performances for the national side.

Cesc played poorly in '06 when he was selected ahead of Xavi and thus,Aragones reversed his decision.Again,like above,should Aragones pick Cesc merely on the basis of his club form when he has failed to transfer that same form to the national level?That will be like picking Del Piero for the national team on the basis of his club form when he keeps underperforming for the national side.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 4:52am On Jun 19, 2008
I didn't say he is 'ok' all I did say is that he is not as good as Flamini in my estimation.

What has Toulalan done in the national side to merit being there ahead of Flamini or even Diarra?

I am not saying Clichy's underwhelming performances have been the reason, but the truth is LeClerc has been no better and probably worse, and still got taken and is not even first choice at Lyon so what is the basis of that selection? Abidal himself had a very poor season, Ditto Sagnol, but were still taken even with less than sterling performances, so why would the coach 'try out' Toulalan and not give Clichy and Sagna the same opportunity. All I am saying is that one or two games is not enough (for Clichy and Sagna) to judge suitability for France, in some hurriedly assembled friendly game somewhere.

How has Cesc 'failed' to trasmit the form? Has he been given a run in the starting line up since o6 - a whole 2 years ago or has he not markedly improved from the player he was then? Your argument is not really based on as much present reality as much as a coach's mindset - the mindset that would pick a misfiring Abidal over a Clichy, or a poor Boumsong over a Mexes and other examples.

Cesc IS good enough, but the coach has the final say, that is the crux of my position - Xavi is as good, and Cesc can play the same role, the coach simply prefers Xavi now and will stick to a working formation while still bringing in Cesc when needed - wisely managing his resources, in contrast to a France who who fail to blood the youngsters as needed.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by davidif: 6:20am On Jun 19, 2008
Francois Clerc is not the first choice right back at Lyon yet he played and was selected ahead of the best right back in the premiership, B.Sagna. As if that wasn't bad enough, he even selected Eric Abidal who has been out of form in Barca this season. The other bad decisions this man has made was to send Mathieu Flamini home despite the fact that Vieira was injured and finally the mother of all bad decisons, to select Jean Alain Boumsong in the squad, a one man disaster (Calamity Jean), they are only two logical explanations for his selection, Monsieur Domenech is either dating Boumsong's sister or Boumsong has some pictures of Domenech in some really uncompromising situations. To be fair to the guy sha, the poor boy acquitted himself in the game but that still does not justify him playin over Phillipe Mexes or Sebastien Squillaci. Lassana Diarra was on the bench which was another dumb decision because Lassana is a mini-vieira in that he can be a holding midfielder and can launch an attack at the same time. He would have come in very handy considering the fact that the French always play with two defensive midfielders. Unfortunately, Toulalan and Makelele are the same kind of players all they do is defend and they have no attacking talent, so why not take out one of them and put a defensive midifielder like Lassana who can go forward and launch a counter-attack.

This Domenech sef, i don tire for am, man no understand am at all.

In all fairness, lets give credit to the Italian team, what a turnaround from there first game, they are definitely going to beat the spanish, with Chellini absolutely smothering David villa  grin.
They [the italians] played a 4-3-1-2 formation with 3 defensive midfielders  and Perrotta behind Cassano and Toni and they didn't do quiet bad. Unlike Monsieur Domenech did, Donadoni played 3 different defensive midfielders with different capabilities. de Rossi knows how to attack and he has some skill going forward, Andrea Pirlo knows how to attack and he is especially deadly with his crosses and long balls,  and Gattuso, well he is always going to be a Gattuso and nothing more. If it was Domenech in charge, he would have played 3 Gattuso's instead, holding midfielders with absolutely no attacking skill. This Italian formation worked so well for them  that whenever the French even tried there counter attacks they were immediately swallowed by seven white jerseys. Kudos to Chellini especially, he has been wonderful, i must confess i never even heard of the guy until he played the last two games and so far he has been good, he covers ground much faster and reacts quickly plus he has one extra thing Cannavaro didn't have, height.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:57am On Jun 19, 2008
@Dayokanu

Are you saying Marco Van Basten misses the kind of glaring opportunities that Luca Toni misses so casually? Luca Toni and Klose have been embarrassments,the latter doesn't have Saudi Arabia to score against.

Well Is it Klose's fault that Rooney and co can not score against Trinidad, Ecuador, and Sweden? Klose has more goals in 2 world cup than the whole of English national team.

What have you to say about another Bundesliga flop,Mario Gomez?

It happenz. Henry and Trez were Highest goal scorers in EPL and Serie A in 2002 How many goals did he have in the 2002 world cup?

Utd have a lot of English players and at least 3(Rooney,Hargreaves and Rio)would have started for England.That England didn't qualify is not a bad reflection on those 3.

So what does it represent Good Players? When was the last time Wayne Rooney scored for England? 14 gols just 4 more than Klose had in 2 competitions. Those English boys, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carrick and Brown are the weakest in Man Utd. Hargreaves can be exempted cos he was schooled soccer in Munich.

Fergie won the European Winners Cup with Aberdeen,defeating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid on the way.

Hitzfeld won the UCL with Dortmund beating Man Utd Home and away and Juventus emphatically

was Klose ever any good at some point?

10 goals in 2 world cups says it all.

whoever compares Van Basten to Toni is a fool, dork, slowpoke and dolt all rolled in one

Van Basten went to 2 major tournament 1990 and 1992 at his peak and he did not score a single goal can you give me explanations for that? and don't tell me he wasnt supported cos that was the probably the best Dutch side ever of Gullit, Rijkaard and Koeman all at their peak.

It is only Arsenal fans that see Cesc as special, take him to Spain and he would look very ordinary probably no better that De La Red and Granero

You all blame Abidal but when Evra came in for 2 of the games you had ready made excuses for him.

My problem with Domenech are many 1)Domenech's giving the revered number 10 Jersey worn by Zidane to who Sydney Govou. I would have prefered him to Give Gregory Coupet the number 10 Jersey.
Anelka?? While Trez was ommited. Boumsong?? I would rather register one player less.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 8:47am On Jun 19, 2008
dayokanu:

Van Basten went to 2 major tournament 1990 and 1992 at his peak and he did not score a single goal can you give me explanations for that? and don't tell me he wasnt supported because that was the probably the best Dutch side ever of Gullit, Rijkaard and Koeman all at their peak.

@ dayokay

R u the one comparin Toni to the Dutch master, Luca Toni doesnt come close. Luca just started blossomin when he arrived in Serie A with Palermo and he was what like 27 28 yrs old.

The dutch team had a mediocre campaign in 1990 but have u forgotten that Van Basten was highest goal scorer in EUro 88 and was very instrumental in their success there. Toni has proven himself in serie a and bundesliga but i give him 2 or 3 more yrs when age sets in he would dip.

The Dutch master did it all at Ajax and Milan instrumental to numerous serie a and UCL titles and was the top striker for the dutch too internationally. But for injury he could have become the best of all time. The only player that reminds me of Van B presently is Ibra cuz of their similar style and physique but even Ibra still has a whole lot to prove.

@ 4play

Luca Toni is hard to drop given his phenomenal goal record. If i were in Donadoni's shoes he would still be my first choice. Cuz when players like him score, the confidence to get more will arrive. I think he should have dropped Boriello for Pippo as the former just had one lucky season
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 9:10am On Jun 19, 2008
I cant compare Luca and Van Basten but i am giving instances of top players who failed to light up tournaments. That does not however take away their quality. Ditto Henry and trez at Japan Korea.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 9:12am On Jun 19, 2008
ibracadabra to van Basten maybe in physique but not in quality. Ibra is an overhyped waste
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 9:22am On Jun 19, 2008
I really haven't followed Toni's Bayern form but I know he scored a lot of goals. Looking again at the France-Italy match its obvious he should be first-choice striker. He was a threat throughout. For the penalty, he just killed Pirlo's pass. Class. . .

He gets into great positions that other strikers won't but he doesn't finish. Too many near misses. Very confusing undecided

I guess he at least causes the opposition a lot of trouble.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PoDeep(m): 11:06am On Jun 19, 2008
He's the caucasian version of Emmanuel Adebayor! (100 chances make one goal).
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 1:48pm On Jun 19, 2008
Po Deep:

He's the caucasian version of Emmanuel Adebayor! (100 chances make one goal).

hahahahahahaha grin grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tkb417(m): 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2008
@Hustler
haba now? i go vex for uuuu o LOL!!!
see, check 4plays post. SAF got 3 local titles and a winners cup with Aberdeen even b4 he moved to United. where is Aberdeen today in the comity of clubs in europe?

now, SAF has 2 UCL and all u guys are saying is, he should sack himself and take up an appointment with Inter Milan. abeggi now. no dey talk like Dayokanu abeggi

No coach living has won 3, no coach alive has more local titles than SAF so why compare him with someone who will be managing a swiss national side?

Hustler, Capello only has a UCL title, not 2, not 3 so why say hes the best ever?
I'll still prefer Lippi over Capello cos he achieved succes on the two fonts. club footie and also with a national side

@A-40
i saw ur post once when u said up Manshafft. . .can u remember?
i think it was when dayokanu created the England is shyte thread.
Jackal is right, ure a mixed breed. Germany and Holland
hehehehe

Dont mind guys here
Holland is ready to thump and thrash all oppositions in this tourney
they havent been dodgy about der intentions
3 against Italy, 4 against France, 2 against Romania and just one goal conceeded.
heyyy!!! im waiting for the next victim
i pity Hiddink, roadblock is nigh

Oranje bois all the way!!!

@dayokanu
why is Luca Toni not scoring?
hes been beaten by a bug shey? now u see that ur bundesliga is crap
both Toni+Klose are waste products
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 3:18pm On Jun 19, 2008
At least you can tell me how many EPL striker have scored more than Toni, Klose and Podolski
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 3:53pm On Jun 19, 2008
eduardo ,broken leg grin grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 6:40pm On Jun 19, 2008
Are we still on Domenech? i heard that dude is a painter or something i think he picked the wrong job that guy was clueless all through the competition and when i saw their first game i knew their case was a hopeless one

@Jackal
That i said up MANNSCHAFT doesnt make me their fan geddit?I have said Hola Madrid too does that make me a Madrid fan?

@tkb417
Yeah i know the thread you are talking about but compared to Germany England is shyte! but seriously i only admire their history and i really liked a few of their old players but i am not a German fan i am dutch through and through.

That Russian team aint looking bad they would surely give us a run for our money especially that Arshavin dude but i still see us winning
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ A-40,

You love Germany. . . . .
I am willing to let this go if u admit it.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:00pm On Jun 19, 2008
Jackal:

@ A-40,

You love Germany. . . . .
I am willing to let this go if u admit it.
I aint admitting nothing tongue i have explained myself in HD clear English what i admired about Germany that dont make me there fan
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 7:10pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ tkb

Bros na u sabi na my mind i don talk. For ME i still feel Fergie should have challenged himself more like Don Fabio did.

@Topic

Cant wait to see the Spain Italy game. Would like to see how Xavi would cope against the all Roma midfield of Perotta,Aquilani and De Rossi. Ambrosini must also play as he would add that extra power and height needed even though Spain would hardly play long balls. He might come in handy for setpieces.

This is where Italy will cause Spain problems as thay have players like Panucci,Chiellini,Ambro and Toni with height and power sumthin which most spanish players lack. This will be crucial. Nuff talk for now.

@dayokay

How do u see the German defence coping against the portuguese. To be honest the germans have not impressed me defensively. Germany used to be next to Italy in terms of tight dfences b4 in the days of Sammer and the rest.Thot Metzelder was going to be the next best thing in central defence in Europe. Hasnt impressed me so far i must say tho i have really seen all their games from start to finish.

What is RENE ADLER DOING ON THE BENCH? Without a doubt he is the best german goalie presently.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:47pm On Jun 19, 2008
@Jackal
Here is one for you!! Are you satisfied muchacho?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=98291.msg1739894#msg1739894
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:49pm On Jun 19, 2008
@4play
If Toulalan can be the 3rd best player in a league then that league must be a really shitty league indeed even Stevie Wonder would have seen that he was crap
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:54pm On Jun 19, 2008
A-40:

@4play
If Toulalan can be the 3rd best player in a league then that league must be a really shitty league indeed even Stevie Wonder would have seen that he was crap
leave Toulalan out of this topic. angry angry
most useless player i have seen in ages, boy that guy was lost on the field. He should have just went to the stand to watch the team play. I said it to my friends France is useless without Zidane.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by mystikal(m): 8:11pm On Jun 19, 2008
what a beauty for a goal!

schwensteiger has always been portugal's nemesis.

for once portugal chase a game, lets see how they respond
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by mystikal(m): 8:12pm On Jun 19, 2008
screw the arrogant portuguese, 2-0

brazil of europe my foot
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by nazzyon(m): 8:13pm On Jun 19, 2008
A very bad day for Portugal
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:15pm On Jun 19, 2008
Bad day for Ronaldo too - he looked very Malouda-esque letting Klose score like that grin Very similar to Kuyt's goal against the French.

Now lets see if they have any fighting spirit! Scolari says Ronaldo has a desire to win that he's never seen? Here's hoping that desire is seen in the next 65 odd minutes or he'll be sipping Martinis in Chelski before the weekend. cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 8:27pm On Jun 19, 2008
Ronaldo will TRIUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only he's got 2 hardworkers like Wazza and Apache. . . .this would have been a cakewalk for Portugal.
Simao and Nuno Gomes are so ineffective.  . . . . .
Quaresma and Nani should add bite on the flanks and Ronaldo should be left alone with Lehmann.

Nice concept to claw a goal back.

P.S. Chelsea should demand at least 10 million pounds out of the 16 mil they paid Porto,
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:30pm On Jun 19, 2008
So now Ronaldo is not at fault? undecided

your excuse-itis is acting up again dude - he was not paying attention! It was a poor error from the supposed best player in the world letting his man go like that - poor tactical awareness.

Nice goal from Portugal, the second half is going to be a cracker! cheesy Is it not the 'ineffective' Gomes that scored now? grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2008
Which of the goals are u talking about?
The freekick or Eminem's goal?

For Eminem's goal. . . . . . It was largely Bosingwa who couldn't get near Miroslav Klose and Ferreira who clearly lost Eminem.

For the freekick. . . . .Portugal were trying to hold a line to keep those twits offside(It backfired though).
Watch the replay again. . . . They were falling deep then they suddenly stopped. . .
It was a collective responsibility to hold a line(don't slag Ronaldo off).
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2008
I'm talking about the second goal

He lost his man - keeping line or not, stop finding excuses tongue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ Debosky,

This is not an excuse. . . . . .

Look at the replay and tell me he lost his man.
How do u keep a player(s) OFFSIDE without stepping out to keep em OFF.  . . . . . .It backfired!!!!!
Ronaldo couldn;t have stayed with his man when the plan was to keep em OFF in the 1st place.
Gosh. . . . . Gaynners will do anything to discredit Ronaldo.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:56pm On Jun 19, 2008
grin grin

alright mate, I'll let it slide now, I shall study the replay later.

The Germans are hell bent on frustrating Ronaldo, even stepping on him tongue

I have a sneaky feeling this game will end 3-2 in favour of the Germans. cool
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 9:02pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ Debosky,

The game is on a knife-edge.
Portugal have been better this half though but they lack good strikers upfront!!!!
Scolari's men are in ascendancy but Nani and RQ will make a big difference. . . .Simao n Gomes have been shyte.
When Ronaldo stays on the wing. . . . no one to finish off good deliveries. . . . when he drifts to the centre, no quality deliveries.
The Pauleta curse is still hanging on their heads!!!! grin cheesy

It's OFFICIAL. . . . . Portugal cannot defend set-pieces.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 9:09pm On Jun 19, 2008
Set pieces have ruined them today! grin grin

So much for Pepe and Carva being the 'best CB pair in the world' grin grin Pepe must've been high when he said that.

very poor defending I must say. . .but wait, isn't it the same Simao and Gomes that helped Portugal in the first two games? So now its Ronaldo's teammates that aren't good enough, but were good enough in the previous games? grin

Now we shall see what your Nani can actually do. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

Senegal Beats Nigeria 1-0 In AFCON Warm Up Friendly / Assistant Referee Pushes Manager In Ghana Vs Sudan Game / Super Eagles Reject Maduka Okoye Shines On Serie A Debut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.