Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,799 members, 7,837,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23761 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 8:21pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Hustler,

You are still an idiot with your long meaningless epistle of drivel.
How can u write so much and make no sense at all? The army of graduates Nigeria produce these days are highly spastic.
The most annoying thing is a gibbon like u will beat his chest and say he is well seasoned to talk about football.
Your case has strengthen the fact that your generation, i am afraid, is a sheer waste. grin cheesy

@ Topic,

Don Fabio at Real Madrid won the league and reh reh reh after Luxembargo and Queiroz's experiment. Why stop there.
Lets compare him to Vincente Del Bosque at Madrid and watch how your Don Fabio pales like a bleached garment.
He has only won 7 league titles(Italy and Spain) compared to Fergie's 10 league titles in the Premiership alone. . . . .
How many UCL titles did he win as a club manager compared to Fergie. . . Are u this spineless?

Your idiocy reeks humungously because u fail to see the English league is the best in the world.
How many good managers(without being sacked) would leave England to manage in Italy or Spain? Are u this foolish?
So u expect Ferguson(manager of the richest football club in the world) to leave Man Utd and go to Roma. . . .
The same club he built from his own panache, business and tactical acumen. . . . .At this terminal, i must say you are stupendously insane.

An idiot like u does not even know Ferguson won league titles and one European cup and Supercup at Aberdeen . . .
You even have the spastic audacity to mention Amodu and Le Guen?? To a pillock like u, the French league and the EPL are the same??
Bozo, your level of foolishness is even worse than Dayokanu's and i used to think he was the most ignorant plastic fan on this forum.
Anyways, let me say this because i won't regret it. . . .You are the most miserable sod i have ever met(virtually). grin grin grin
BUT. . . . .hey, cheeer up. . . . .I might still meet anutha of your autistic species. grin

@ A-40,

Busted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i know u are a defaulter. tongue tongue tongue
Few months ago, u were an ardent German supporter!! grin cheesy I can dig out facts to support ma schitzo. wink wink wink
Guilty or NOT GUILTY??
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 8:31pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Jackal
You must have gone loco?The Dutch is my team even on my facebook profile you would proudly find their flag on my profile

I can also dig up my past posts to show that i have always supported the Dutch so bring em out!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 8:40pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Jackal
I am sure you are talking about the England Euro disaster thread
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2008
I can vouch for A-40.Hez been a Dutchman from the beginning  grin

I knew the first thing any Arse would notice about the French team yesterday would be Evra.That guy worked yesterday,twaz the rest of 'em Arsene's boyz and Grant's boyz that messed up last night. tongue

What's happening to Spain?  undecided  I know Greece is out already,but still,they shouldn't get whooped by 'em.

and dudes,could we pls not turn this thread into some kinda war zone?these insultive arguments are steering way clear off Euro '08 !
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:46pm On Jun 18, 2008
How many of Arsene's boys were there last night?

I daresay if Clichy, Sagna and erstwhile AW boy Flamini were taken and played, things would've turned out differently. tongue

Or if Toulalan or Maka were taken off instead of Samri, he might have produced something with Benzema.

Nice game by Evra though, and he had the balls to admit that France messed up, T14 on the other hand was saying if we got penalty and red card against Holland. if if if - Domenech should've known that Henry is NOT captain material after his poor performances for arsenal with the arm band. tongue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2008
Hello debo  grin  My bad,but i still see Henry as Arsene's boy  tongue And of course,our dear captain Gallas  tongue

But thx for being honest about Evra tho. wink
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:58pm On Jun 18, 2008
Gallas did no wrong - Abidal caused the red card all on his own, and Henry deflected the kick in.

I blame mumunech for his wack selection - how can you take off a creative player like Samri and leave Toulalan and Makalele who has never scored for France? Where would creativity come from?

Evra tried, but didn't do much offensively. tongue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 9:00pm On Jun 18, 2008
The Spaniards are only resting for the Azzuris they need it lol of what use is 9 pts if they get knocked out at the quarters once again.

On the France issue Domenech should be banned from coaching i was watching that game yesterday and laughing as he kept making dumb substitutions that guy should go and work as a chef as fottie is nto his forte
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 9:03pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Cristalz,

Babes, i am telling u A-40 is more Jens Lehmann than Van Persie.
I have seen him display the UP MANNSCHAFT in various threads in the past.
Don't be deceived. . . . .A-40 is from Berlin.

@ Debosky,

I don't really think Sagna, Clichy and Nasri would have made any difference last night.
Ray Domenech is a gutless, spineless lizard. He is not a fan of attacking football.
He pinned his central midfielders and instructed his full backs never to cross the half-way line.

Even after France was a goal down. . . . . .He took out an enterprising Nasri for Boumsong.
Faced with a possible elimination . . . . i expected an astute manager to GO for it as there was nuthing to lose at that stage.
God bless Ferguson. . . . . He woulda taken out Van Der Sar and Brown for Saha and Danny Welbeck. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 9:06pm On Jun 18, 2008
@debo
Evra worked even more than Henry,who waz actually stationed where he waz to get goals  tongue You just want to fault Evra in some way.Not saying he waz perfect,but the dude tried,considering the wacky state the French team waz in.

Domenech contributed 80 percent to France's downfall,honestly.He should be shot and sacked.

Goall for Spain!!!! Lovely strike!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 9:23pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Cristalz,

You are a meanie.
Ray Domenech should be shot and sacked??
How do u sack a dead man? Are u aware this man is a family man with wife and kids??
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Jackal
I didn't say shoot to kill.A shot in the knee should do grin Just bust his left kneecap,then fire his butt grin
u sef,after insulting the man,you're calling me a meanie undecided

Yayyy!!! Anutha goal for Spain!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Cristalz,

I criticised him. . . . . .i didn't ask for his head or kneecap!!!!

Anyways, now we have the final EIGHT.
Portugal meets Germany tomorrow. . . . . . Lehmann has been shooting his mouth off as usual saying he knws how to cage Ronaldo.
I would like to see who triumphs. grin grin grin

Are u watching Bolivia vs Paraguay?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 10:27pm On Jun 18, 2008
Bolivia- Paraguay? Naah. Not interested.I'll see the highlights tho.

Can't wait to see Ronaldo make a mess of Lehmann grin Its tomorrow right?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 10:43pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Cristalz,

Tomorrow is the D-day. . . . . . .
Ronaldo versus Ballack again. . . . Lets hope Michael Ballack will not try his rugby, homosexual and WWF tackles. grin grin
What do u reckon?   Can Portugal's 4-3-3 upset the efficient, unpretty and the gritty German machine?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Cristalz(f): 10:50pm On Jun 18, 2008
Portugal's 4-3-3 will hold up against those Germans,so long as its Ronaldo and friends that are up front,not the team that lost 2-0. Only area where i worry a lil for Portugal is the defense.Sometimes there are holes.And those Germans have got real wicked shots sometimes.

Anyway,their defense has got the same problem too,especially with Lehmann in charge.So i guess its gonna be a matter of which side can capitalize most effectively on the other's weakness.I just hope Portugal doesn't give away too many free-kicks tho.Ballack seems to get all pumped-up when it comes to those.

I expect a gory battle. grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 11:04pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ Cristalz,

Portugal have been ma fave even before the competition kicked off. . . . .
Ronaldo is just on anutha level the way he plays these days. . . . .He seems to hang on a thread when drifting from left to right. . .
He will be the difference. . . . . Granted, Ballack is a handful but Ronnie's rockets can be dangerous too.
Lehmann is not very reliable as well . . . .  Still cannot forget what Fletcher and Nani did to him at Old Trafford!! grin grin

Brazil Vs Argentina will kick off around 1.50 am tonight. . . . .Gosh, let me go grab some beer.

P.S.   Bolivia just spanked Paraguay 4-2. What a game!!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 1:43am On Jun 19, 2008
@Hustler

Fergie won domestic titles with one club only? You mean Aberdeen(3 league titles) and Man Utd(10 league titles) are the same club? Thanks for clarifying that. . . .I never knew Scotland and England were one and the same.

Fergie won the European Winners Cup with Aberdeen,defeating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid on the way.4 European trophies(2 UCLs and 2 Euro Winners Cups).What have Aberdeen achieved since then?

PS:Isn't it funny that many of Arsenal's top players last season are bench warmers-RVP is behind Dirk Kuyt for Holland and Cesc Fabregas is a bench warmer for Spain.Flamini,Clichy,Almunia and Sagna didn't even make the French squad
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 1:54am On Jun 19, 2008
The French squad that went out below Romania? I think that gives you a sensible chunk of your answers - leave out your best performers and suffer.

Almunia will never get in, too much quality in the Spanish goalkeeping area.

RVP may have been starting if he was fit pre-competition, so you can't necessarily say he's being benched. And how can a player who played barely 15 games all season be regarded as one of our 'top players' last season? undecided

What of MU's players? Oh wait. . .most of them are at home grin Apart from Van Der Sar and Ronaldo, who else? Evra benched for Abidal, Nani of course on the bench where he belongs cheesy

PS : This one is for you dolphin head Diarra - sacrificed the chance to build a career at a world class team like Arsenal to join Domenech's squad and warm the bench for the tournament grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 2:04am On Jun 19, 2008
Evra benched for Abidal? Maybe the Evra that played 2 of the 3 games for France was another Evra.I wonder where Clichy who should be fighting for the same position is. . . .surely he isn't watching Euro 08 on TV?

Utd have a lot of English players and at least 3(Rooney,Hargreaves and Rio)would have started for England.That England didn't qualify is not a bad reflection on those 3.

Please,in what way are the likes of Sagna and Clichy France's best performers? When have they ever performed for France or you just plucked that claim from the ether? Your latest signing-Samir Nasir-supposedly the New Zidane,according to rubes who haven't got a clue-barely managed 20 minutes for France against Italy.

Your best player-Cesc Fabregas-can't even win a starting place for his country.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 2:40am On Jun 19, 2008
@Dayokanu

Are you saying Marco Van Basten misses the kind of glaring opportunities that Luca Toni misses so casually? Luca Toni and Klose have been embarrassments,the latter doesn't have Saudi Arabia to score against.

What have you to say about another Bundesliga flop,Mario Gomez? grin

@Hustler
What is Luca Toni doing in that team that Pippo Inzaghi couldn't have done?

On the other hand,Panucci has done better than I expected.Many thought his presence was solely down to Donadoni not having the balls to drop his ex-Milan teammate.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 2:46am On Jun 19, 2008
Clichy, Sagna and Flamini had outstanding performances in their positions for their clubs - Abidal himself admitted he was woeful, Sagna had an injury ravaged season for Bayern, Leclerc was not even first choice at Lyon. . .so based on that Evra, Clichy and Sagna were the best full backs for France.

Domenech's calamitous decisions in leaving high performing players out for his 'old faithfuls' has played itself out with their woeful performance.

Flamini was fitter and had a better season than Toulalan, Maka had a better season, but was aging badly.

20 mins for France by Nasri is as a result of Domenech's incompetence, not a reflection on the player - or was Ribery's poor showing for his high standards now an indication of how good a player he is?

Cesc can't win a starting place yes, but he excels whenever he comes on, the coach plays according to his desired tactics and no player can insist on starting if the coach wants a different formation.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 19, 2008
4 Play:

Your best player-Cesc Fabregas-can't even win a starting place for his country.

not when you've got the experience of Xavi and Iniesta.

4 Play:

@Dayokanu

Are you saying Marco Van Basten misses the kind of glaring opportunities that Luca Toni misses so casually? Luca Toni and Klose have been embarrassments,the latter doesn't have Saudi Arabia to score against.

grin grin was Klose ever any good at some point?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Nobody: 2:51am On Jun 19, 2008
Portugal have been relatively poor, Ronaldo has done nothing and Nani has been a passenger. If that is the quaresma then i'm glad we arent buying him. Another Nani, plenty of showboating no end product.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 2:54am On Jun 19, 2008

Cesc can't win a starting place yes, but he excels whenever he comes on, the coach plays according to his desired tactics and no player can insist on starting if the coach wants a different formation.

Unless that player is Cristiano Ronaldo. . . . .
If Fab4 is really a superstar like Arsenal fans make him to be. . . .He would start in every game except today's game which was technically a dead rubber game.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Nobody: 2:56am On Jun 19, 2008
Jackal:

Unless that player is Cristiano Ronaldo. . . . .
If Fab4 is really a superstar like Arsenal fans make him to be. . . .He would start in every game except today's game which was technically a dead rubber game.

i dont think so. Spain unlike Portugal is awash with fantastic midfield players. Take out Ronaldo and you have a relatively poor Portuguese side.
Take out Fabregas and Spain is still as potent as ever.

Would you say Raul was not as good as Torres or David Villa? Competition for places however means he misses out on Euro 2008.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 3:01am On Jun 19, 2008
@Debosky

I think you are missing the most important point.Sagna and Clichy have played for France before and were crap.Both have never performed for France.

As for Nasri,is his mediocre performances over the last few months for Marseille also a reflection of Domenech's incompetence?

Flaimini had a better season than Toulalan ? grin That's a nice way of saying you haven't got a clue regarding Toulalan.

Cesc excels whenever he comes on? Its precisely because he hasn't always performed for Spain that he lost his starting shirt in the 1st place.You may not have realised it but these nations actually had games before the Euros in which each player's suitability was assessed.

Spain plays 4-4-2,are you saying it doesn't fit Cesc?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 3:12am On Jun 19, 2008
see guys . . . .the major reason France is out is just plainly Dummyneck's fault ; simple !

like Debosky has said , , ,I bet I dont have to go over his posts except of course any of y'all is blind  tongue

Abidal is wack, was and will never be a legend  tongue Nasri had little time to play for France because of course u don't expect him to start ahead of the so many experienced players in the team, especially when such coach that is in charge of the team drops someone like Trzegol, what do ya expect ? I would have expected someone like Henry to speak up about TREZ but greed must have been another factor that came into play . . .na wao  angry

whoever compares Van Basten to Toni is a fool, dork, slowpoke and dolt all rolled in one . . .plus am sure HUSTLER WILL NEVER COMPARE THEM ? WHO IS LUCA TONI ?  

@dAVID

was it Klose's fault that he has had a bad competition ? NEGATIVE SIR ! isnt so obvious that the stupid Gomez and Klose formation upfront aint working? me feels Lowe is saving the best for last ! he is going to most likely end up using Kuranyi with Klose in the 1/8 stage, and please who are the nincompoops playing in d midfield for Germany ?  undecided Fritz ? Frngs ? well Frings haas been mangeable but Fritz ? who was that idiot Hansen ? JESUS IS LORD ! these Germans could be very funny ! YET THEY MIGHT WIN THIS COMPETITION !  cool

. . . .I DONT SEE THE PORTUGESE WINNING THIS . . .You GUYS WOULD BE ASTONISHED TO SEE THAT ITALY AND GERMANY WOULD BE SO STRONG AT THIS STAGE WHEREAS You WILL SEE TEAMS LIKE HOLLAND FADING OFF !

DAMN ! AM SURE OF THIS THAT I KNOW I WILL RECEIVE FLAKS RIGHT LEFT AND CENTER, BUT WHAT GIVES ?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 3:12am On Jun 19, 2008
in a 4-4-2 Xavi (more experienced and more accomplished) plays Cesc's role, so he doesn't get a look in. Coaches always have their preferred players in positions, you won't play two exact same players just to accommodate them - you pick your preference and move on. unless of course you're saying Cesc was so poor he was not good enough to start.

I do know about Toulalan, he was ok in Lyon, but if I compare their form individually, I'd still rate Flamini better in terms of overall contribution, Lyon's titles not withstanding.

Of course coaches have games before Euros - but if we were to say that was a basis, what games did Clichy play in? He hasn't even been capped fully yet, Bakari has had a few appearances at most - but on the back of last season, arguably their best seasons respectively, they should have been given a chance.

Nasri's mediocre performances? Well that is debatable, but when you barely give him a chance to perform, then there isn't much that can be said. Benzema for all his excellent club form was poor in this championships - my point being, a LOT was wrong with the French set up.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 3:22am On Jun 19, 2008
@ Debosky,

Valid point!!!

The whole French set up stunk from the word go!!!!
Players were not hungry enough, Domenech's selection and formations were wrong throughout the competiton.
On top of this all, we should also admit he was very unfortunate.
He lost Ribery in the 16th minute and Abidal the slowpoke got a RED CARD 16 minutes later. . . . .That would rock any team scrapping for their lives.
However, the $64 million question is how did they get themselves to that desperate situation in the first place?

I hope to God they have learnt their lessons.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 3:23am On Jun 19, 2008
debosky:

in a 4-4-2 Xavi (more experienced and more accomplished) plays Cesc's role, so he doesn't get a look in.

Cesc doesn't get a look in?Cesc was benching Xavi for the starting place but after his poor performances,Spanish media outcries prompted Aragones to reinstate Xavi and bench Cesc.

Your statement about Toulalan should have stopped at "I do not know about Toulalan".Toulalan is not "ok" for Lyon,Toulalan has been sublime for them.

Clichy and Sagna have had a few games to impress for France and they failed woefully so I can't blame Domenech for dumping them.Of course,you can always argue that they should have been given more opportunities-Gomis did impress in his 1st game and turned into a disaster-but when you consider that outstanding defenders like Mexes and Escude didn't even make it,you have to take every opportunity you get in the French squad.

As for Nasri,again,if you didn't get to see Toulalan's perofrmances in Ligue 1,I dout you have seen Nsri that much.Ever since his injury,he hasn't been the same and I'm not surprised he didn't perform for France.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 3:41am On Jun 19, 2008
on the basis of 20mins against Italy and a few mins against the other teams he did not perform? I don't think that is an accurate judgment

I see you subtly side-stepped the Benzema case - did he not perform for Lyon and flop for France in two games he started?

Toulalan was 'superb'; ok I hear you - this same player was not even selected to start a single friendly all year and now automatically walks into the team? He only started or played because Vieira was absent - if he is so 'superb' why is there little or no mention of him in transfer circles? or are Benzema and Ben Arfa not playing in the same Lyon side? A superb season with no goals eh? Well not that sublime if you ask me.

So going by your analysis, Boumsong was so excellent all season that he got taken over Mexes? For France or anyone else for that matter, he has been useless - it just shows you the sometimes crazy selections of some national team managers based on their own odd preferences, not necessarily on the players form. Clichy has NOT played for the full team, he had two caps in France B, hardly much to be judged on, ditto for Sagna - their sterling club form should have played a significant role in selecting them.

How long ago was this 'outcry' for Cesc to be replaced by Xavi? was it reflected in Cesc's recent performances or something from way back in '06 that had simply become the norm and would not be changed unless in radically exceptional circumstances? Was it really Cesc's poor form or was it something else? I'm not so sure.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Secures Syinix Electronics Endorsement Deal / Stars Who Missed Out On World Cup / Oshoala Scores Another Brace As Barcelona Defeat Huelva In The Queen's Cup.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.