Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,656 members, 7,862,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:58 AM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23823 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ Dayokanu,

Ronaldo didn't choke. . . . .more like the referee allowed u Nazis to get away with murder.
He kept breezing past players and there was a point one of those Hitler boys hacked him down and the other jumped on his ankle.
By n large, Portugal lost because they could not defend, . . . On the balance of play, they outplayed y'all.
They had more possession and more territorial advantage. If only Ferreira wasn't pasta boned. . . . They were good for the Semis.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2008
Ronaldo didn't choke. . . . .more like the referee allowed u Nazis to get away with murder.
He kept breezing past players and there was a point one of those Hitler boys hacked him down and the other jumped on his ankle.
By n large, Portugal lost because they could not defend, . . . On the balance of play, they outplayed y'all.
They had more possession and more territorial advantage. If only Ferreira wasn't pasta boned. . . . They were good for the Semis.

Can you remember any threatening move he made? He was set up for a one on one with Lahmann and he lost the chance only for Nuno Gomez to bury the rebound.

Did Lehmann save any shot from him? Nani made more contribution in 15 minutes than Ronaldo made in 90+4 minutes

I think that captain's armband is the invisibility cloak from Harry Potter because Ronaldo just disappeared after that.

Portugals specialty is beating England not Germans The refs allowed us Reh, reh, reh What was Ricardo doing with the 3rd goal he was going to make a save with his eyes closed.

If they had roughened Ronaldo that much they would have been red carded. Deco had more input in the whole tournament. Ronaldo? Wait for Derby County not Mannschaft.

Go play somewhere. Next time we will detach him mind from Spirit , Body from soul.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 4:37pm On Jun 20, 2008
I forgot, HEIL HITLER!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 4:51pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ Dayokanu,

As a football fan, u should know better. . . .
Nani played against tired German legs and as at that point, the very disciplined Germans were so efficient, they didn't want foolish freekicks at the edge of their box. They were happy to let Nani run through their defence knowing Simao was a waste-pipe.

Ma question is. . . . .are u saying Nani is now a better player than Ronaldo because of 90 mins against Germany?
If that is your understand then your IQ is lower than i originally thunk and trust me, i didn't give u much initially. grin cheesy
Ronaldo threatened your defence more than anyone. . . . .When he was on the flanks, there was no one to finish his deliveries.
When he drifted in, there was no quality service. . . . .He was the only effective player in the Portugese line-up.

The angle was against him in the build up to the 1st goal. . . . . That he got a shot on goal was a testament to his prodigious talents.
What about Pepe that headed over the bar from 2 yards or Moutinho that used his knee instead of his right foot from a yard in front of goal?
You can slate Ronaldo from now till kingdom come. . . . .He is better than all the German players on show yesterday.
Name me a German player better than Ronaldo in the last 12 months and i would rate your IQ. . .Until u do that, remain a Arrow. grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 5:15pm On Jun 20, 2008
Ronaldo choked yesterday. The quality deliveries came from Bosingwa, See nani's peach of a cross for the 87 minute goal.

Okay Ronaldo did not miss those kind of Pepe or Moutinho but Did you watch the game? How many shots from Ronaldo did Lehmann save apart from the goal, the only one was the Free kick standing like King Kong to make Good deliveries. While Schweini was making quality deliveries with his Free kick. Ronaldo was making his like a Rugby game where the post is 30meteres in the air
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 5:28pm On Jun 20, 2008
ITALY vs SPAIN.

The italians are d ones running their mouths ahead of the match. What they have going for them is their character.and thats all.but i still hope spain can go through.
My only worry for spain is their central defence because d fullbacks seem okay.
If i was aragones,i'd be very confusd right now.
Senna or alonso.
4-5-1 or 4-4-2
villa or torress
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 5:44pm On Jun 20, 2008
Dino Baggio said something that made me shiver.

"If the Spaniards haven't beaten us in a competitive match for 88, years its for some reason"

Truth be said I'm shaking a bit. The Italians are experts at winning without playing exceptionally well. Las rojas on the other had have broken my heart plenty.

I think it has to be Senna. Alonso isn't as strong defensively and the central defense like you said is shaky. I also think Villa and Torres will start. They are without a doubt the strike partnership of the tournament. They both bring different strengths. Aragones should stick with the team that started against Russia. If Spain scores first they have a chance, otherwise they are in trouble.

Thank God for Pirlo's suspension. That guy dey fear me!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ Dayokanu,

Answer my question: Who is the best player on the planet??
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
@Jackal,

Before the tournament it was Ronaldo. After the Tournament? , who knows End of the Year? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2008
@crazylegs,
88 years? I 've started shivering too.
It may be advantageous if spain play a choked midfield. Senna is stronger defensively,Alonso is just d opposite.
I'd choose villa as a lone striker ahead of torres.
A midfield team of:senna,xavi,iniesta,silva and alonso/fabregas.
May GOD help spain.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2008
dayokanu:

@Jackal,

Before the tournament it was Ronaldo. After the Tournament? , who knows End of the Year? Your guess is as good as mine.

Dayokanu is trying to play smart for once.
As of today, who is the best player in the world? That cannot be hard for u as a soccer-buff.
Lemme make it simple. . . .  Lets assume Ballack scores 12 goals against next opponent and anutha 14 goals in the final to take Germany to the European title, would he have become the best player on the back of that?? grin cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 6:30pm On Jun 20, 2008
Jackal:

Dayokanu is trying to play smart for once.
As of today, who is the best player in the world? That cannot be hard for u as a soccer-buff.
Lemme make it simple. . . . Lets assume Ballack scores 12 goals against next opponent and anutha 14 goals in the final to take Germany to the European title, would he have become the best player on the back of that?? grin cheesy

Anutha ofcourse!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2008
If Ballack should inspire germany to win like you assumed then He would be the Undisputed Best player in the World. No questions!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tkb417(m): 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2008
if Ballack likes he scores a record breaking 25 goals in the next 2 games
he cannot be runners up. . .
Holland will deal with them at the finals
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2008
Well according to TKB who is known to be notoriously irrational. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2008
tkb417:

if Ballack likes he scores a record breaking 25 goals in the next 2 games
he cannot be runners up. . .
Holland will deal with them at the finals

good , supporting holland doesnt mean i should ignore or neglect chelsea players, Ballack is good. Has been wonderful in this tournament so far,
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 6:51pm On Jun 20, 2008
crazylegs:

Dino Baggio said something that made me shiver.

"If the Spaniards haven't beaten us in a competitive match for 88, years its for some reason"

Truth be said I'm shaking a bit. The Italians are experts at winning without playing exceptionally well. Las rojas on the other had have broken my heart plenty.

I think it has to be Senna. Alonso isn't as strong defensively and the central defense like you said is shaky. I also think Villa and Torres will start. They are without a doubt the strike partnership of the tournament. They both bring different strengths. Aragones should stick with the team that started against Russia. If Spain scores first they have a chance, otherwise they are in trouble.

Thank God for Pirlo's suspension. That guy dey fear me!

Waiting for dat Italy SPain game too. Truth is Pirlo will be sorely missed in the middle cuz of his intelligent passes whcih would have been helpful against the spaniards.

However, i trust that Aquilani will come in and give a good account of himself. Supported by the ever running Perotta and hard tacklin DDR. I trust he will be confident enuff and his long range shooting is top notch

My starting XI would be

Buffon,Zambrotta,Panucci,Chiellini,Grosso,DDR,Aquilani,Ambrosini,Perotta, Cassano, Toni

I believe Italy's greates weapon will be their physical superiority and aerial superiorrity especially from set pieces but thing is with Pirlo out only Grosso can deliver from set pieces in positions favouring his left foot.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2008
dayokanu:

If Ballack should inspire germany to win like you assumed then He would be the Undisputed Best player in the World. No questions!!

Then u would have been the biggest idiot this forum has ever produced if u believe that. tongue tongue tongue
Michael Ballack will not be in the top ten best player in the world. Fabregas would rank above him as far as this year is concerned.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2008
Jackal:

Then u would have been the biggest idiot this forum has ever produced if u believe that. tongue tongue tongue
Michael Ballack will not be in the top ten best player in the world. Fabregas would rank above him as far as this year is concerned.

we know that sharappppppppppp , big mouth.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by nazzyon(m): 8:46pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ DYABMAN

Do you normally do this to gain recognition?

OR

Is there anything behind your action?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
nazzyon:

@ DYABMAN

Do you normally do this to gain recognition?

OR

Is there anything behind your action?

yes there is, he is retarded. sad grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 9:50pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

grin grin grin grin grin . . . .That was HARSH!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by nazzyon(m): 10:36pm On Jun 20, 2008
Tonight's match will be an unforgettable if not the best to be played in 2008 EURO.

I never knew Croatia were that poor @ penalty.

The referee will be recognised for his performance today. Especially for him to deny Croatia the trick they intend to pull by using substitution to waist time.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 10:50pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ Nazzyon,

They weren't poor!!!

Croatia could have won the shoot-out if the match had ended 0-0 after extra-time.
However, conceding a goal 10 seconds to end the game was a blow to their morale.
Even if it was a group game or a league fixture. . . . .It would have been painful. . . .no one likes to concede in extra time.

The goal Turkey scored gave em the belief that this is for the taking.
Croatia were still in shock of how they failed to keep things tidy at the back.
It was a good game, i rooted for Turkey after Croatia scored cos it would have been unfair to Turkey if Bilic's men had walked away with the goldmine.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 11:45pm On Jun 20, 2008
This is looking more like a Germany vs Italy final cool

well deserved I will say . . . cheesy

when people keep yapping abt Germany I wonder[i] IS IT BECAUSE OF DAYOKANU'S HORRENDOUS YARNS THAT U WILL DENY THE FACT THAT THE GERMANS ARE IN A CLASS OF THEIR OWN ?[/i] undecided

Most of my pals here feel the Dutch will win, but I can bet my last cent, lira, kobo, shilling that the Dutch aint gonna win tongue

all the noise of C Ron died down all of a sudden shocked and of course it leaves room for a true performer to come TAKE HIS CHANCE WHOEVER THE PERSON MIGHT BE wink

see . . . .its f@cking obvious that C Ronaldo just doesnt know how to step up his game when it matters . . .I WILL BE SURPRISED IF HE WINS WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR . . .IF ANY TRUE PERFORMER EMERGES FROM THIS TOURNEY cool

but why should I even be surprised . . .TOO MANY DORKS AT FIFA ! grin grin BLOODY AGBAYAS grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Esss(m): 11:48pm On Jun 20, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

This is looking more like a Germany vs Italy final cool

well deserved I will say . . . cheesy

when people keep yapping about Germany I wonder[i] IS IT BECAUSE OF DAYOKANU'S HORRENDOUS YARNS THAT You WILL DENY THE FACT THAT THE GERMANS ARE IN A CLASS OF THEIR OWN ?[/i] undecided

Most of my pals here feel the Dutch will win, but I can bet my last cent, lira, kobo, shilling that the Dutch aint going to win tongue

all the noise of C Ron died down all of a sudden shocked and of course it leaves room for a true performer to come TAKE HIS CHANCE WHOEVER THE PERSON MIGHT BE wink

see . . . .its f@cking obvious that C Ronaldo just doesnt know how to step up his game when it matters . . .I WILL BE SURPRISED IF HE WINS WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR . . .IF ANY TRUE PERFORMER EMERGES FROM THIS TOURNEY cool

but why should I even be surprised . . .TOO MANY DORKS AT FIFA ! grin grin BLOODY AGBAYAS grin

More like a dannish greman finals, with the danes carrying the day.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 10:12am On Jun 21, 2008
debosky:

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 2:55pm On Jun 21, 2008
Tonights is another action of the super flowing sexy football,

Prediction

Holland 3 Russia 1

first to score

Robin Van persie
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2008
Russia might be very tricky, today

yes! i mean it, the russians are very tricky

but their trickiness can only affect England, Greece and Sweden

no matter how tricky they will be . . . . . . . . . not against the Oranje bois of Holland
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2008
The Dutch are winning tonight no question may God save Spain i dont see them surviving Italy but i might be wrong

@Jackal
Did you see proof that i rep the Oranje boys? Inspector Bediako
On the game against Germany cmon admit it Ronaldo choked he was nowhere to be found throughout the match but those Germans where spot on with their tactics Scolari also shot himself in the foot by playing Ronaldo central all a smart coach has to do is put someone ahead of Ronaldo and behind him as well and he wont sniff the ball

The Germans suprised me i guess i forgot that old saying never write off the Germans i dont see how they wont make the final now the Turks have been battered and bruised in the last game
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Jackal(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2008
@ A-40,

Ronaldo choked against Germany? He didn't.
Apart from Deco who had a stonker of a game, Ronaldo was very effective.
His strike partners let him down. . . . .no good service all day until Nani came in for whoever.
I expected Scolari to have played Quaresma and Nani alongside Ronaldo.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 6:39pm On Jun 21, 2008
@Jackal
Ok Ronaldo had an average game just admit it the guy aint super-human.Quaresma is a showboater he is not needed in such matches if you ask me Portugal's problem was simple they had a poor defence and too many players trying to do too much with the ball thats the downside of having too many skillful players in a team everyone wants to do too much with the ball and Deco was the biggest culprit

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply)

Real Madrid Unveil Luka Jovic After Signing For £62m From Frankfurt / Hope Akpan And Wife Expecting Their First Child (Photos) / Assistant Referee Pushes Manager In Ghana Vs Sudan Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.