Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike (9481 Views)

Okorocha Embarks On Economic Mission To Vietnam And Other Asian Countries - PICS / Ogun Workers Commence Three-day Strike / Tanker Drivers Begin 7-day Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by anonimi: 10:19am On Jul 29, 2013
Does ACN/APC's clamour for true fiscal federalism extend to the LGAs autonomy?
If yes, how have the ACN lawmakers ensured their quest for fiscal federalism is reflected and incorporated in the ongoing constitution amendment

2 Likes

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Vicjay1(m): 10:19am On Jul 29, 2013
*dhtml:
I must go on strike too with my boys, as soon as I get back to town
better for us all.@ least no more arm robbery and bombing. Say because u dey important or what?
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 29, 2013
We won't miss them at all. . .

Local government officials are almost completely useless. The only thing they do is to share revenue amongst themselves. The state government itselt handles most of the tasks!

In Alimosho Local Government for example, you can hardly point to anything useful they've done. For them to map out areas with inaccessible roads & handle its construction is a big deal to them.

Most of them are illiterates who can't even handle the jobs they're supposed to do. . . Abeg make dem gerrout!

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by point5: 10:24am On Jul 29, 2013
The Association Of Unemployd Graduates of Nigeria (AOUGN) hereby use dis medium 2 announce 2 it membas da dia own STRIk wil start on THURSDAY 1st of AUGUST 2013 so as 2 anable GEJ 2 fulfil his promisis 2011..sign Mgnt

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Izontubo(m): 10:26am On Jul 29, 2013
NIGERIA:::

The striking NATION
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Dannylux: 10:30am On Jul 29, 2013
Everybody is embarking on strike. lol
Good job, Nigeria!!
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by buoye1(m): 10:32am On Jul 29, 2013
God ll help naija ooooo
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by 3ace(m): 10:43am On Jul 29, 2013
What's the difference? Before wetin dem dey do sef? Everyday is like going on strike, so e no go too make any difference. That's life at civil service. Little work, plenty money.

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by MAYOWAAK: 10:45am On Jul 29, 2013
anonimi: Does ACN/APC's clamour for true fiscal federalism extend to the LGAs autonomy?
If yes, how have the ACN lawmakers ensured their quest for fiscal federalism is reflected and incorporated in the ongoing constitution amendment

Senator Sola Adeyeye and Oluremi Tinubu of the ACN voted against the constitution amendment bill on 'Local Government Autonomy'.
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by greyman: 10:49am On Jul 29, 2013
What the FG is asking for is LGA independence and not autonomy.The FG wants to be the ones in control of the LGAs and its purely for political purpose.Am sure the bill will be defeated at the various state houses of assembly.LGAs are just administrative units and should remain so and whatever autonomy they need should still be under the state govts and not under the almighty federal govt.All the FG seeks to do is to undermine the authority of state govts,even with the lopsided nature of the exclusive list, it is still not satisfied.

LGA independence means freedom from control of state assembly, but under control from the national assembly .... and I say no to that ... .. the major issue with LGAs as they are presently constituted is the power most state assemblies have assumed to undemocratically sack elected councils ... and for me, the best way to determine if they have such powers is to approach the supreme court for a clear determination ... with this brand of LGA autonomy, will the LGAs be given a judicial arm too, like the two federating units recognized by the constitution ... so maybe each LGA will hav a chief judge too ... and some judges ... lets spend our time in a more productive way, not this pdp concoction and abracadabra of LGA autonomy ...

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by MAYOWAAK: 10:53am On Jul 29, 2013
Hear what Lai. Mohammed of ACN said about scrapping of SIECs by house of Rep

"Why will they scrap SIECs? What is the guarantee that if local government elections are conducted by INEC it will not be worse than the ones that have been organised by the state governments?...It is very dangerous to allow INEC which is controlled by the Federal Government to conduct local government elections..."
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by moscobabs(m): 10:54am On Jul 29, 2013
which day Nairalanders will strike at least we suppose to help our brothers and sisters that are on strike
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by MAYOWAAK: 10:54am On Jul 29, 2013
The functions of Local Governments, as spelt out in the Nigeria Constitution, are as follows:

• Collection of tax and rates
• Issuance of licenses for vehicle, hawkers, television, bicycles and naming of streets.
• Provision and maintenance of local markets
• Registration of death, birth and marriages that occur with area of jurisdiction
• Provision of libraries and schools
• Provision and maintenance of healthcare facilities
• Provision of customary courts that handle issues that pertain minor disputes, divorce, minor traffic offences, disagreement over any piece of land

My take: It is in Nigeria here you ll see State Govs, after rendering local govt useless, taking glory of local Govt's works. Building of local market and roads, provision of healthcare facilities and construction of local roads are works of LG not State Govt but here you state Govs running jingles on Radio and Tvs claiming all of local govt works as its achievements. Granting total autonomy to local govt, they won't support but found pleasure in spending their money!

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Jglad(f): 10:59am On Jul 29, 2013
jassie: We won't miss them at all. . .

Local government officials are almost completely useless. The only thing they do is to share revenue amongst themselves. The state government itselt handles most of the tasks!

In Alimosho Local Government for example, you can hardly point to anything useful they've done. For them to map out areas with inaccessible roads & handle its construction is a big deal to them.

Most of them are illiterates who can't even handle the jobs they're supposed to do. . . Abeg make dem gerrout!
3ace: What's the difference? Before wetin dem dey do sef? Everyday is like going on strike, so e no go too make any difference. That's life at civil service. Little work, plenty money.
they cant do anytin until dey stand alone so dnt blame dem

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by size38: 10:59am On Jul 29, 2013
The whole problems will be resolved by adopting true federalism
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 29, 2013
there is no hope for 9ja
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by DisGuy: 11:56am On Jul 29, 2013
anonimi: Does ACN/APC's clamour for true fiscal federalism extend to the LGAs autonomy?

PDP is the majority if i rememmber correctly... apart from rushing through anti gay bills and citizenship laws how well are they doing with regards to LG autonomy?
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by DisGuy: 12:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
What do they even do? apart from commissioning ceremonies with FG/SG ?
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by tonypat(m): 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
enyice:

First to comment - FTC
tongue
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
Why do we have so many strikes in Nigeria? Btw, when will Nairaland go on strike?
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Rawpidgin(m): 12:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
[b][/b][color=#006600][/color]NAWA 4 THIS COUNTRY WITH STRIKE, SO WE GET PEOPLE WEN SABI STRIKE LIKE THESE & WE DEY FIND STRIKERS 4 NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by 4Play(m): 12:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
I twice went to the Awka South LGA office recently. The "workers" were away from their desks for the 2 hours I waited for them.
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
MAYOWAAK: The functions of Local Governments, as spelt out in the Nigeria Constitution, are as follows:

• Collection of tax and rates
• Issuance of licenses for vehicle, hawkers, television, bicycles and naming of streets.
• Provision and maintenance of local markets
• Registration of death, birth and marriages that occur with area of jurisdiction
• Provision of libraries and schools
• Provision and maintenance of healthcare facilities
• Provision of customary courts that handle issues that pertain minor disputes, divorce, minor traffic offences, disagreement over any piece of land

My take: It is in Nigeria here you ll see State Govs, after rendering local govt useless, taking glory of local Govt's works. Building of local market and roads, provision of healthcare facilities and construction of local roads are works of LG not State Govt but here you state Govs running jingles on Radio and Tvs claiming all of local govt works as its achievements. Granting total autonomy to local govt, they won't support but found pleasure in spending their money!

Noted! But that doesn't change the fact that they're still not doing their jobs properly.

Although the constitution clearly defines their duties, it's not really practical. We see the LGAs grade our untarred roads just before elections & after they assume office, it's back to Marriage ceremonies @ the registry & looting as usual. . .

How many Public Libraries & Schools have the LGAs been able to provide & manage well?

Forget those guys abeg. . . dem no dey try @ all. . .
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by nmagirl(f): 12:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
what are they waiting for? Go on strike for 100yrs!! nobody will miss you; i don't even know their relevance in the society; they r of no use. But wait ooo, hv u heard of EFCC probing any LG chairman before? Grassroot corruption is killing our country, they don't do anything in the office than sharing money (allocation).

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by delors(m): 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
Wetin dem dey do before self? Redundant people...
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by slimyem: 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
These useless LG workers wey be say na gossip and trading be their job at work dey strike? Wonders!!!

I hope they are kept on a veeery long thing. Nonsense!!
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by bknight: 12:44pm On Jul 29, 2013
It is ridiculous that elected public office holders will go on strike undecided
Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by duality(m): 12:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
greyman: What the FG is asking for is LGA independence and not autonomy.The FG wants to be the ones in control of the LGAs and its purely for political purpose.Am sure the bill will be defeated at the various state houses of assembly.LGAs are just administrative units and should remain so and whatever autonomy they need should still be under the state govts and not under the almighty federal govt.All the FG seeks to do is to undermine the authority of state govts,even with the lopsided nature of the exclusive list, it is still not satisfied.

LGA independence means freedom from control of state assembly, but under control from the national assembly .... and I say no to that ... .. the major issue with LGAs as they are presently constituted is the power most state assemblies have assumed to undemocratically sack elected councils ... and for me, the best way to determine if they have such powers is to approach the supreme court for a clear determination ... with this brand of LGA autonomy, will the LGAs be given a judicial arm too, like the two federating units recognized by the constitution ... so maybe each LGA will hav a chief judge too ... and some judges ... lets spend our time in a more productive way, not this pdp concoction and abracadabra of LGA autonomy ...

You are looking at it from the eyes of a politician. What party do you belong to? ACN I think?
We are talking about making LGAs effective. LGA autonomy is a way to make them really effective. Are they not government? shouldn't they be independent? don't they also have their legislative arm? Please Please LGAs should have autonomy so that we know exactly what they are doing. Here in Lagos even waste disposal is still under the state government management.

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by Florblu(f): 12:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
nerodenero: Do they really work?I don't see their relevance joo.
you don't see there relevance?i wil pretend i didnt read that.Local govt is the closest government to the people.i wil take my time and tel you there relevant;i mean there purpose and see if truly you are right.
1.Local govt serves as a training ground for national political leaders.
2.Local govt relief especially central govt of certain burden
now this are there functions:
1.Local govt councils maintain recognized traditional rulers by payin there salaries.
2.They also make bye laws
3.They build and maintain motor parks,public roads,culverts and sidewalks.e.t.c.

1 Like

Re: Local Government Workers Embarks On A 3-day Strike by MAYOWAAK: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
Just in:

The On going warning Strike by 774 Local Governments is hereby called off. Work resume tomorrow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DPR: 32 Refinery Licences Now Invalid Between 2018 And 2021 / Name Ebonyi Airport after Senator Offia Wali, Ebonyi ex-Govs tell Nwifuru / Amb. Chikwe Joins Barr. Mora On Condolence Visit To Prof. Effah-Attoe's Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.