Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,778 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? (1151 Views)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / ''journey Of No Return'' A Fiction Centered On The Nigerian Civil War. / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? by Slimfitgen(m): 9:38am On Jul 31, 2013
To me and to most of Nigerians, Chinua Achebe is known as a Nigerian novelist, poet, professor, critic and author of Things Fall Apart, a work that in part led to his being called the "patriarch of the African novel." But in another case he is also known as a self centered Igbo man by a Kenyan man, I was so amazed but when I start reading what he said and backing it up with points I come realized that its true in my opinion after reading a long analyses but I will like to know what do you think....

Chinua Achebe is a great writer, with well thought out and concise work that is well presented and easy to read. However while his writing talent is unquestioned, I really feel his views in this book are biased and will result in the increase of tribalism, hence corruption and suffering of his beloved Igbo ethnic group as well as all Nigerians. Therefore he fails in his attempt to create unity and reduce tribalism and corruption which he so loathes.

In the Chapter "The Role of the Writer in Africa", he says that a writer should align himself with the weak and powerless against the strong. This is an agreeable point. However, he tries to cast his Igbo people as the victims in Nigeria while ignoring the sufferings of other ethnic groups brought upon by the Igbos. This is not a recipe for national reconciliation.

In the Chapter "Cradle of Nigerian Nationalism", he tries to cast the Yoruba Leader, Chief Awolowo as a tribal leader who reunited his ancient Yoruba people "with a powerful glue of resuscitated ethnic pride, hence creating the "Action Group" political party that reduced the dominance of the Igbo dominated NCDC. The irony here is that Achebe sees no problem with the NCDC being Igbo dominated while he complains about the Action Group being Yoruba dominated. This double standards is not a recipe for national reconciliation.

You can continue reading at the link below....

http://richsourceentertainment..com/2013/07/chinua-achibe-kenyans-perspective.html

Re: Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? by Mynd44: 9:52am On Jul 31, 2013
Ain't nobody gonna follow that link

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? by Slimfitgen(m): 10:06am On Jul 31, 2013
But the information there is true bro. grin cheesy
Re: Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? by zubike01(m): 12:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
BULL...

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe - A Patriotic, Tribalist Or A Self Centered Igbo Man? by Slimfitgen(m): 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2013
I'm sure if you check it out you will be amazed about what the Kenyan man said about Achibe
zubike01: BULL...

(1) (Reply)

••The Girl At The Sea•• — ×[A Short Story]× —Petunia Holly / The Better Mirror (short Piece) / The Player's Handbook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.