Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,995 members, 7,828,513 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food (2194 Views)

Abeg, How Do You Fix Oversalted Stew / If You Hate Beans, Abeg Report Here. / Abeg O! I Don Tire For Yanki Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by davidif: 6:19am On May 29, 2008
The food is so annoying and monotonous. In fact, i take that back, they don't have any food at all, all they do is make some concortion. Majority of them eat out and all they do is eat Mickey D's which is the mother of all bad food or subway and those other pathetic restaurants. Gosh i miss mr. Biggs.

WARNING: In this era of globalization, please make them no bring mickey d's come naija.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:19pm On May 29, 2008
lol. . . for real the only thing them sabi na burger, mac & cheese and mashed potatoes. lipsrsealed

but why not learn how to cook nigerian/african food so that you can chop correct? instead of american food which is usually very unhealthy and tasteless. I especially hate the way they add so much sugar to dishes to give it "taste" becos they don't know how to use spices.
anyways recipies are aplenty online and even here on Nairaland, it's real easy to cook for yourself[b] and cheaper and healthier too[/b].
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:24pm On May 29, 2008
dont play yourself

Nigerian food isnt that healthy either

maggi and co are pretty bad for you as well
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:31pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

don't play yourself

Nigerian food isnt that healthy either

maggi and co are pretty bad for you as well
it is way healthier than the macdonalds menu.
Plus it all depends on portion size and using less fatty/sodium filled ingredients or regulating amounts such as half a teaspoon of salt instead of a full one etc. . .it is possible to eat healthy since you're the one cooking the food!
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 8:31pm On May 29, 2008
how about palm oil that'll clog your arteries and arterioles even before you pass the gas from the food sef
someone is yet to do research on the polysaturated fat in Egusi.
Goat meat nko?
our foods are not any healthier especially those soups in parties with gallons on palm oil on top and jellof rice that leaves you with "lip gloss"

fried akara
fried plaintain
fried meat
fried rice
goat peppersoup with goat lard all over the place
fried kpoff kpoff
meat pies with red meat
garri can even kill sef if processed poorly
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 8:38pm On May 29, 2008
JeSoul:

it is way healthier than the macdonalds menu.
Plus it all depends on portion size and using less fatty/sodium filled ingredients or regulating amounts such as half a teaspoon of salt instead of a full one etc. . .it is possible to eat healthy since you're the one cooking the food!

Is there now low fat palm oil or low carb pounded yam?
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:39pm On May 29, 2008
Lmao exactly osisi

Palm Oil all over the place. I wasnt raised eating it though because my dad hates palm oil thankfully so it wasnt allowed in the house. Now I just try to avoid it
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:41pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

how about palm oil that'll clog your arteries and arterioles even before you pass the gas from the food sef
someone is yet to do research on the polysaturated fat in Egusi.
Goat meat nko?
our foods are not any healthier especially those soups in parties with gallons on palm oil on top and jellof rice that leaves you with "lip gloss"

fried akara
fried plaintain
fried meat
fried rice
goat peppersoup with goat lard all over the place
fried kpoff kpoff
meat pies with red meat
garri can even kill sef if processed poorly
  what a list! is it not mama sunday's buka all those pot bellies go to chop and end up fat?
Me I think if you cook it urself and control what you put in and cut out, thou shalt be fine.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:42pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

lol, not that I have seen, but even if I do see it I'm sure it will taste like cardboard - just like all those 2% percent nonsense milk they sell here.

Portion control sista, portion control. It's all about moderation.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:43pm On May 29, 2008
how do you control not frying stuff?

How would akara be without it being fried? fried rice nko? puff puff

Abi you want boiled akara? Might as well call it moinmoin  tongue
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:44pm On May 29, 2008
I drink 1% milk

Now skim/fat free will never reach my lips
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by debosky(m): 8:46pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

grin grin grin

That one will win Nobel Prize for food cheesy

But seriously, if you observe portion sizes as JeSoul says and use stuff like Canola oil or sunflower oil (with less trans fat) or use spray - oil to fry your stuff, then maybe you won't get as much artery clogging problems. Besides not everything we eat is oily or fattening.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:48pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

I drink 1% milk

Now skim/fat free will never reach my lips

1% ke? ha me I cannot drink those things oh. . .  lipsrsealed  even the whole milk, those poor cows have undergone so much genetic 'modification' the milk is not even real anymore.

TOH:

me I like my puffpuff smiley
& you're right you can't control it BUT you can control the type of oil and how much of it you eat! especially when you're not the one that cooked it. our people are not familiar with the word moderation.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 8:48pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

exactly
what else can be do to akara and buns besides deep frying.
even the steamed moin moin sef,don't we put corned beef in it.
This is the fattiest canned meat in the market but without it moin moin is useless basically.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 8:53pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

exactly
what else can be do to akara and buns besides deep frying.
even the steamed moin moin sef,don't we put corned beef in it.
This is the fattiest canned meat in the market but without it moin moin is useless basically.
  so you sef how do you cook your naija food? no be the same way?

My entire family grew up on naija food, yet none of them are fat, and are all healthy. It wasn't until we moved here my sis put on some extras.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:53pm On May 29, 2008
I disagree osisi

I absolutely loathe cornbeef in my moinmoin. Only thing I accept is sliced boiled eggs. Everything else(sardine, crayfish, etc) is unnecessary garbage

Cornbeef is the saltiest glob of crap ever. I dont understand how people enjoy it

Yuck  angry
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 8:54pm On May 29, 2008
debo and jesoul you are right.
Portion control for both Western food and our food is the only way.
Ours is not healthier than theirs.
Ours is actually worse.
In Nigeria for instance people use groundnut oil and vegetable oil with cholesterol
all that canola and pam spray if for those in obodo oyibo.
Is the woman in Fegge Onitsha spraying her pan before frying an egg?
she uses palm oil sef

I since have become accustomed to using tomatoes to redden my soups and add just a spoon of palmoil and it tastes just right as long as okporoko (stockfish) dey
I don't put salt in my rice and yam and have become used to it and find other people's food too salty for me.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 8:58pm On May 29, 2008
Lmao ok I hate too much salt but no salt in yam or rice?

Lol when you did become an Illorin person osisi

Seriously I believe the black race has some sort of cursed obsession with salt, take American southern food as werll, so damn salty. I don't get it

which explains why we are the race of high blood pressure, hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes, etc
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 9:00pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

I disagree osisi

I absolutely loathe cornbeef in my moinmoin. Only thing I accept is sliced boiled eggs. Everything else(sardine, crayfish, etc) is unnecessary garbage

Cornbeef is the saltiest glob of crap ever. I don't understand how people enjoy it

Yuck  angry

I hardly make moin moin.
There's a yoruba lady in my city that I pay to make them and I freeze them and I've ordered with or without corned beef and beleive me the corned beef one is tastier.
JeSoul:

so you sef how do you cook your naija food? no be the same way?

My entire family grew up on naija food, yet none of them are fat, and are all healthy. It wasn't until we moved here my sis put on some extras.

I cook them the same way but with less fat.
I was only responding to the notion that our foods are healthier and I'm saying they aren't.
Putting on extra weight is not just because she moved here,it part of it, lack of walking around like we did back home and larger quantities are the main culprits.
It'll be wrong for anyone to assume our foods are healthier and gulp them down in larger quantities,they'll end up just as fat.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 9:02pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

debo and jesoul you are right.
Portion control for both Western food and our food is the only way.
Ours is not healthier than theirs.
Ours is actually worse.
In Nigeria for instance people use groundnut oil and vegetable oil with cholesterol
all that canola and pam spray if for those in obodo oyibo.
Is the woman in Fegge Onitsha spraying her pan before frying an egg?
she uses palm oil sef
LOL. . . even with their olive and canola oil, more and more millions of people still have high cholesterol here cos they still don't control their diets.

I since have become accustomed to using tomatoes to redden my soups and add just a spoon of palmoil and it tastes just right as long as okporoko (stockfish) dey
I don't put salt in my rice and yam and have become used to it and find other people's food too salty for me.
 Rice without salt? I cannot boast of that yet. . . I still like my salt. I tried using that accent low sodium whatever instead and could not eat the food. I just watch how much I eat to offset it.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 9:02pm On May 29, 2008
Lol who wont gain weight when you go from running after molue to driving everywhere  tongue
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 9:04pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

Lmao ok I hate too much salt but no salt in yam or rice?

Lol when you did become an Illorin person osisi

Seriously I believe the black race has some sort of cursed obsession with salt, take American southern food as werll, so damn salty. I don't get it

which explains why we are the race of high blood pressure, hypertensive, Type 2 Diabetes, etc

Try it,you'll get accustomed to it,I've done it for over a decade now and my husband is adjusting to it too.
I only have salt in my stew and I don't miss it.
But I see my guests sprinkle table salt on their foods
we can train our tastebuds you know.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 9:04pm On May 29, 2008
TOH:

Lol who wont gain weight when you go from running after molue to driving everywhere  tongue

ROTFL.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 9:05pm On May 29, 2008
I meant white rice people
not jollof.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by JeSoul(f): 9:06pm On May 29, 2008
sheniqua:

I hardly make moin moin.
There's a yoruba lady in my city that I pay to make them and I freeze them and I've ordered with or without corned beef and beleive me the corned beef one is tastier.
I cook them the same way but with less fat.[/b]I was only responding to the notion that our foods are healthier and I'm saying they aren't.
Putting on extra weight is not just because she moved here,it part of it, lack of walking around like we did back home and larger quantities are the main culprits.
It'll be wrong for anyone to assume our foods are healthier and gulp them down in larger quantities,they'll end up just as fat.
 ehen now. . .that's my point. It's the way[b] you cook it, not the way mama jide does it.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 9:17pm On May 29, 2008
TOH like you said blacks don't only have the highest rate of High blood pressure,we also have a higher morbidity from it and that's irrespective of your size.
Artherosclerosis which is the hardening of arteries affects both the big and small and is more prevalent in black people so we all have to take care of ourselves esp those with a family history which is most of us.
Most if not all of us have a grandparent ,aunt or uncle or even parent that had a stroke.
This is usu from undiagnosed and uncontrolled high blood pressure.
and people are on nairaland worrying about how to maintain an erection for 3 hours nonstop.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by TOH(f): 9:29pm On May 29, 2008
Lmao osisi you are sick. let them enjoy their 3 hrs with their palms

and I cant believe you dont even add salt to the food you make for outsiders. Lol do you warn them before hand or do you leave them to believe that you forgot the salt due to a cooking mistake tongue
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 29, 2008
@poster

Not only you. Each time I go out for a function, I just wait for dessert to have my fill of cakes, cookies etc. The most annoying thing is how deceiving the food looks. A very beautiful presentation, well garnished and all that but practically tastes like sawdust in my mouth.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by 4Him1(m): 11:45pm On May 29, 2008
African foods may have a lot of fat but we generally burn most of it off.

Blacks are more susceptible to high blood pressure and atherosclerosis but that is predominantly among blacks in advanced nations who live sedentary lifestyles.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by sheniqua: 3:37am On May 30, 2008
4 Him:

African foods may have a lot of fat but we generally burn most of it off.

Blacks are more susceptible to high blood pressure and atherosclerosis but that is predominantly among blacks in advanced nations who live sedentary lifestyles.

says who?
do you know how common strokes are in Nigeria?
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by elizabetta(f): 3:43pm On May 30, 2008
I prefer yanki food to our food.
Re: Abeg O I Don Tire For Yanki Food by chika98: 8:16am On May 31, 2008
Why wont you get tired of it when you only limit yourself to mickkyDs and stuff.
There are tons of "yankee" foods out there. Eg Steak, pasta etc and these you can make yourself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cake Box / Cabukim Peanut Snack (new Product) / 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.