Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,359 members, 7,954,465 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:35 PM

Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba (2555 Views)

The Oba Of Lagos Does Not Speak For Us - APC / Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) / I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 01, 2013
Symphony007: This thrend is very very bad and somebody ought to take the lagos state government to the supreme court. What right does any state have to deport citizens of a country where the state is located? So far as you're a nigerian you're free to live in any city you deam fit. We understand that lagos is populated but so is new york but andrew cuomo does not ship americans back to texas,idaho,wisconsin, iowa,nebraska,etc.. Without there consent, and when they consent, they are flown out in dignified manner.there are sane policies that can be implemented to keep only working people in the city and in conjuction with the federal government a policy on destitutes and beggers will also be formulated...but harsh internal deportation is plain wrong.
God bless you. You said the plain truth!
Re: Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba by Abagworo(m): 8:41am On Aug 01, 2013
ilugunboy: This OP is talking rubbish and shamelessly lying to cover his unjust accusation.

If not for official transfer from offices.....the number of non Igbos living in the Igbo speaking states will be countable in fingers and toes...just to show how intolerant these ingrates can be.

I'm sure of high population of non-Igbos in Abia State. Even Somalis and other non Nigerians do hawk there.
Re: Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 10:42am On Aug 01, 2013
omo-Yoruba:

You can call me a liar but I stand by my statement. I have lived in Lagos, Oyo and Ogun, and in Abia, Imo and Enugu. I speak Yoruba like I speak Igbo. In the course of these times, I have come across millions of Yorubas in Yorubaland and 1000s of them In Igboland. I have not met any Yoruba in Igboland who speaks Igbo fluently. Of course people joke around with smattering of words such as ''nna'', ''kedu'', etc.

I know one yoruba man, Ayo, who speaks not just Igbo but the thick Nsukka Igbo. I was in school then when I walked into the Alumni office to do my final year clearance. This man was discussing with the workers in Nsukka Igbo. I just assumed he was an Nsukka man and never for once thought he was yoruba until I heard them call his name, 'Ayo'. That's when my attention got drawn to his side. He was cracking jokes with them in pure unadulterated Igbo like native speakers telling them of when he got to Nsukka newly 9 years ago how each time he got to an office and knocked and they asked who was knocking he'd reply 'ewu yoruba' which means 'yoruba goat' in igbo but 'yoruba boy/man' in yoruba and how the office people inside will laugh and laugh and ignore him until he gets tired of knocking and enters the office. He said he didn't know Ewu yoruba meant Yoruba goat in Igbo that time and would wonder why they were laughing at him. Within a few years he learnt to speak not just Igbo but the thick Nsukka Igbo which I, myself, an Igbo guy who spent 5 years in Nsukka cannot not speak like him. I was very much impressed to say the least.

I also met another one here in owerri where I am currently who speaks Owerri Igbo very well. He came to buy corn from a corn seller and was pricing in Igbo for like 3 minutes, speaking it well and the woman selling refused until he said jokingly in English 'ah when I go back to my land I'll tell my people what you're doing to me'. The woman asked where he was from and he replied 'yoruba'. He then spoke small yoruba and the woman sold it to him basically because he is a visitor.

Another popular yoruba real estate mogul here in Owerri also speaks perfect Igbo like a native. And because of this, it attracts to him so many clients. The man has made it here in Owerri.

Up until this point I was slighlty giving into the popular notion that Igbo is a hard language until I met these yoruba and so many other people especially ibibio/efik, idoma and Igala who speak fluent Igbo. Its all about the interest and speaking back. Igbo isn't difficult at all. I was raised with English myself by my parents but learnt to speak Igbo (Anambra Igbo cheesy) fluently when I got into the university in just 1 year. Now, I rap it like there's no tomorrow. Its all about the interest.

Notwithstanding, Igbo people are more willing to learn yoruba or any nigerian language more than the Yoruba people are willing to learn Igbo.

However, I must commend the Hausa community in Igboland for their commendable Igbo speaking fluency. Almost all of them speak fluent Igbo, except for the little Hausa accent that still identifies them(you know that Hausa accent that still affects them when they speak English cheesy). Asides their accent, they speak Igbo fluently with the correct pronunciation and accents that come with it. In owerri here, almost every hausa man speaks Igbo. If you're passing the Hausa community, called 'Ama Awusa'(Hausa community in Igbo) along Douglas road, that's where you'll see them speaking fluent Igbo to you to attract you to patronize them. grin
Re: Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba by Carius(m): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
D lawd knws i tried;dis thing na real textbook...
Re: Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 7:55pm On Aug 01, 2013
Carius: D lawd knws i tried;dis thing na real textbook...

Tried what, please?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abia-state Airport-can Governor Orji Deliver? / Letter To President Jonathan, By Al- Mustapha / Why I Did Not Kill President Babangida During The Orkar Coup”- Lt Echendu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.