Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,414 members, 7,836,661 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5995345 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1608) (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 05, 2018
NIGERIAN AIR FORCE GRADUATES FIRST SET OF IN-HOUSE TRAINED UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE PILOTS

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on 2 March 2018 graduated the first set of in-house trained pilots for its Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), as part of the human capacity development initiatives of the current NAF leadership. The 5 newly trained RPA pilots were decorated with their ‘wings’ by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, at the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Base at Maiduguri. The training of the new Pilots commenced in 2016 at the 401 Flying Training School, Kaduna, following which they later converted on the CH-3A RPA. The CH-3A RPA conversion training, which started in May 2017, covered areas such as Ground Academics, General Airmanship, Instruments, Situational Awareness, Radiotelephony, Boldface exercises as well as handling of simulated and real emergencies. The entire programme lasted about 2 years while the CH-3A RPA specifics phase lasted for 10 months, culminating in check rides for each of the 5 new RPA pilots. At the moment, the new pilots each have nearly a hundred hours each on the CH-3A RPA.

The CH-3A RPA, which formed part of the training platforms, is currently deployed in the North East, where the Air Task Force of Operation LAFIYA DOLE is using it against Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs). With several hundreds of flight hours on the CH-3A RPA alone since induction three years ago, the NAF has developed commendable experience in its RPA operations. In the process, the CH-3A RPA, in combat role, has successfully delivered its ordnances against BHTs targets with high degrees of precision and accuracy, both day and night. With the recent feat of being able to train the pilots of the RPA in-house, the NAF is now poised to train additional batches of Student Pilots for its RPAs. This would ensure the availability of the required manpower, at minimal cost, to man the NAF’s RPAs, which are expected to increase in the coming years.

It would be recalled that the NAF recently inducted the first indigenous operational Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), named Tsaigumi, in its resolve to enhance its Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance capabilities. Meanwhile, plans are already underway to mass produce the Tsaigumi UAV as well as develop the nation’s first indigenous Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle, which would be in the league of the CH-3A RPA.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 05, 2018
Tsaigumi UAV in the air

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 05, 2018
Anyone here follows the @MightyRussia instagram handle?

He recently shared a video post on the recent ISIS attack of Green Berets in Niger. As a Nigerian, we have our own problems with terrorism, but the attack on the Americans was quite heart wrenching and disturbing.

@MightyRussia, Instagram.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 05, 2018
61mech:
I'd move the 60mm to the platoon level. Also use a patmor instead of the long range tube. Much more mobile. Problem with having so many mortars in the platoon is the ammo. You can only carry so much and 3 tubes will eat up your stock pretty quick.Although the long range 60mm round is almost as effective as a 81mm HE according to Denel. Cant see why you shouldn't be able to shoot it from a patmor with lower charge.

You'd also find it difficult to find space in your section IFV for a 2 man mortar crew. Thats why they usually ride with the platoon command vehicle. Also, the section leader has his hands full just running the squad and being shouted at over the platoon radio net. Don't think they'll do well with the extra job of directing mortars. 6km range is overkill. The platoon should concentrate on fighting whats in front of them. I like the idea of a dedicated weapons section added to the platoon like what the USMC has. Having them in a dedicated vehicle gives the platoon leader many more options on how to use them for something like over-watch positions and ambushes. I'd have a 60mm mortar, heavy MG (with 338 norma LWMMG machine gun) and may be a ATGM crew in it.

I'd swap out the 60 for the 40mm MGL and have the section 2ic run it. He directs your MG nr1 and 2. The 40mm could be useful for him to mark targets for the gunner, shoot short range illumination at night and lay down short range HE. The ammo is also much more manageable.

As far as the 120mm goes I prefer the Israeli Spear over the auto loaders.
They ad too much complexity to what's supposed to be a simple and reliable weapon. I don't buy the whole "reduced workload" argument. I your crew cant handle 16 rpm of 120mm, they need to go back to the gym, not hire a robot. Grandpa did it in Tobruc so can you. I personally feel these auto loaders are pushed by the manufacturers ,so they can triple the price.

I'd also add some organic direct fire support to the orbat. 76mm and up.
I also don't see a lot of logistics tail in that orbat. Hope they add some supply transport. Seeing things like fuel bunkers, water bowsers and general supply trucks in the orbat can tell you a lot more about how long and at what range that coy can operate. They probably just have it in the Bn. orbat that the coy is part of.

Ran this past a planning mate from Mech. He agrees with every word, except some reservations on the Israeli 120mm connection. He says the Spear is fine as it is, except that in the quest for guided accuracy, and I quote, "The IDF has been seduced by the auto-loading crap and in thrall to tech, might endanger a fine weapon. Fine for SF and Parabats with their ops roles and limitations, but not for Mech Infantry".
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 05, 2018
patches689:

Helmets too, it seems we are still using the old M87 helmet - a big, clunky and ageing design which, most worryingly, seems to poorly fit the SANDFs new demographics (too big). The fact that it needs a separate cover to provide its cammoflauge is another problem - just another thing to worry about and lose.

The changes will eventually filter through. The Recces have relegated the M87 to personal preference and even SF Candidates on the BTC have progressed.
From Recces to Pathfinders, then Parabats/Marines and on to the rest of the military - slower than we'd like - incremental improvements in personal gear drip down.

Pic 1: SF BTC Urban Warfare course.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 9:23am On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

He recently shared a video post on the recent ISIS attack of Green Berets in Niger. As a Nigerian, we have our own problems with terrorism, but the attack on the Americans was quite heart wrenching and disturbing.

Mighty_russia that's the video iam talking about on Bidexiii thread.

The video is heartbreaking.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 05, 2018
4Recce exercising high-speed extraction: 4.1 Commando training a troop (8 pax and equipment) on being extracted from a Hurricane by a chopper, at high speed.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 10:29am On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

Wow just watched the video now: it's heart wrenching and quite disturbing.

The go-pro camera was still on, showing terrorist working by.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 05, 2018
tdayof:

Mighty_russia that's the video iam talking about on Bidexiii thread.

The video is heartbreaking.
The soldiers from Niger that were there with them all fled the scene, leaving the Green Berets to their fate.

I would like to ask a question, do Bulletproof vests actually work, and how does a standard ballistic vest worn by soldiers work?

@Nemesis4u
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 11:07am On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

The soldiers from Niger that were there with them all fled the scene, leaving the Green Berets to their fate.

I would like to ask a question, do Bulletproof vests actually work, and how does a standard ballistic vest worn by soldiers work?

@Nemesis4u

looks like a tactical gear they had on with a radio pack.

Seems their vehicle got disabled. Plus, it was an open field and the guys had limited cover. The war here in Africa is different when compared with the middle east. Nothing stops them from leaving the area with the troops from Niger and call in air strike on the terrorist position.

If they had to fight, they'll exhaust their ammo as I'm sure only a large fighting force can inflict such damage.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 11:10am On Mar 05, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmtn3IlDqE

Here's the full video of ISIS attack on US green Beret in Niger.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

@Nemesis4u
Not true. Some fled, some fought and died. Let us not dishonour their sacrifice.

Vests work, depending on calibre. No vest will stop a .50cal round from a technical. Ours distributed to regulars for example, are burdensome after a while due to weight. That's why for example, Recces in Bangui took multiple hits and survived, cos they have more modern lighter ones and were fighting around their vehicles. The Parabats on the other hand, were fighting dismounted for 72 hours and some took them off to improve mobility. That's why the 15 casualties were all Parabats.
Hence Denel, CSIR and private industry have now been tasked with developing a new light-weight, modern and more effective vest for Paras and regular infantry.
Sad it took Parabats dying in Bangui for something troops have been demanding for a decade now.

CC: patches689 : re your question about Pat 83 and BPVs.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

@Nemesis4u

Bulletproof is a elusive term

It depends on the rating of the armour to which it is designed.

Eg. Hard Armour built to Threat level type rating IIISP ( NIJ 0101.04 ) will stop 7.62x54 , 7.62x51, 7.62x39 bullets that too when used together with soft armour, but even then it will not stop armour piercing and special rounds of the above types.

A bullet proof armour than can actually be bullet proof again all types of ammo including armour piercing and special rounds will be too heavy and very costly.

Armours works by different ways based on the materials used , basically they break up the rounds on impact and dissipate the KE of the round.
Eg
Ceramic based armour breaks up at point of impact this helps to dissipate the KE of the bullet , break up the bullet and deflect it.
Problem is nearby bystanders might get hit with the fragments.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2018
frumentius:

Not true. Some fled, some fought and died. Let us not dishonour their sacrifice.

Vests work, depending on calibre. No vest will stop a .50cal round from a technical. Ours distributed to regulars for example, are burdensome after a while due to weight. That's why for example, Recces in Bangui took multiple hits and survived, cos they have more modern lighter ones and were fighting around their vehicles. The Parabats on the other hand, were fighting dismounted for 72 hours and some took them off to improve mobility. That's why the 15 casualties were all Parabats.
Hence Denel, CSIR and private industry have now been tasked with developing a new light-weight, modern and more effective vest for Paras and regular infantry.
Sad it took Parabats dying in Bangui for something troops have been demanding for a decade now.

CC: patches689 : re your question about Pat 83 and BPVs.
Good for pointing that out.

I'm not talking .50cal rounds or 12.7mm. I'm referring to the 7.62mm round, and specifically that tactical gear American special forces wear. Is that even a BPV or just a webbing?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

Bulletproof is a elusive term

It depends on the rating of the armour to which it is designed.

Eg. Hard Armour built to Threat level type rating IIISP ( NIJ 0101.04 ) will stop 7.62x54 , 7.62x51, 7.62x39 bullets that too when used together with soft armour, but even then it will not stop armour piercing and special rounds of the above types.

A bullet proof armour than can actually be bullet proof again all types of ammo including armour piercing and special rounds will be too heavy and very costly.

Armours works by different ways based on the materials used , basically they break up the rounds on impact and dissipate the KE of the round.
What is that vest American special forces wear?

It's seen in this video, and also seen worn by Green Berets in Syria. Is it a BPV or just a Tactical Webbing?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

What is that vest American special forces wear?

It's seen in this video, and also seen worn by Green Berets in Syria. Is it a BPV or just a Tactical Webbing?

No idea, as far as I know spider webs r one of the best materials to make bulletproof armour , light weight and very effective. Better than kevlar
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

No idea, as far as I know spider webs r one of the best materials to make bulletproof armour , light weight and very effective. Better than kevlar
But you know what i'm referring to right?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

But you know what i'm referring to right?

The guy in the front has a webbing only

The SF I have seen rarely wear body armour , they r to go in and if have to engage in fire fight use the available features of terrain buildings etc plus tactics for the best protection and then come out with out detection with all haste

Try running in a body armour , very exhausting and uncomfortable

Best idea not to get hit at all

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

Good for pointing that out.

I'm not talking .50cal rounds or 12.7mm. I'm referring to the 7.62mm round, and specifically that tactical gear American special forces wear. Is that even a BPV or just a webbing?

In the JSOC videos - AK rounds hit and the better trained Delta Operator, with vests, fight on. Different and similar in that there's more context, you can see the operators taking the fight to the enemy, with guys issuing instructions to the Nigeriens. They'd almost turned the ambush around before the enemy brought his .50cal technical to bear. Nigeriens manning the .50cal vehicles had gapped it - meaning the dismounted troop were on their own.

US/Nato BPV can withstand 7.62 assault rifle, but not Dragunov 7.62 sniper and beyond. Nothing wrong with US tactical vest.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

The SF I have seen rarely wear body armour , they r to go in and if have to engage in fire fight use the available features of terrain buildings etc plus tactics for the best protection and then come out with out detection with all haste

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 05, 2018
Fucckkers kept shooting the dead Soldier , where is amnesty international now ?

Terrorists deserve no mercy , but no point in banging our head with civilized fucckkers

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 05, 2018
frumentius:

In the JSOC videos - AK rounds hit and the better trained Delta Operator, with vests, fight on. Different and similar in that there's more context, you can see the operators taking the fight to the enemy, with guys issuing instructions to the Nigeriens. They'd almost turned the ambush around before the enemy brought his .50cal technical to bear. Nigeriens manning the .50cal vehicles had gapped it - meaning the dismounted troop were on their own.

US/Nato BPV can withstand 7.62 assault rifle, but not Dragunov 7.62 sniper and beyond. Nothing wrong with US tactical vest.

Even armour piercing and special rounds ?, what r the Nato armour ratings specifications do u have info u can post

Here our armour was stopping the 7.62 rounds untill terrorist fucckkers across the border got issued with armour piercing rounds
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

Is the bolded even possible?

Frumentius just confirmed 15 soldiers lost their lives because they removed their BPVs.

In Nigeria members of the AFSF only wear tactical vests, seeing that they are at the tip of the spear, i consider that to be very risky.

How SF units around the world are used have changed. For countries that engage in never ending operations against non-state actors, such as Nigeria, the US, UK,Turkey these units are used not just in the recon role, but as active combat units.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

Is the bolded even possible?

Frumentius just confirmed 15 soldiers lost their lives because they removed their BPVs.

In Nigeria members of the AFSF only wear tactical vests, seeing that they are at the tip of the spear, i consider that to be very risky.

How SF units around the world are used have changed. For countries that engage in never ending operations against non-state actors, such as Nigeria, the US, UK,Turkey these units are used not just in the recon role, but as active combat units.

I cannot speak for other countries , but here SF r embedded with regular troops in CT ops or standalone , sometimes wear armour sometimes don't , depends on the ops being carried out and the risk assessment.
The body armour r always present on site if required.

However for ops into enemy territory , the boys don't wear armour.

Engaging in a firefight is a risk , even with body armour u may go down depends on the types of ammo being used , also no head gear can stop even normal 7.62 rounds except for patka head gear which unfortunately doesn't provide full sphere protection to the head.

So as usual u have to take risks and try hard not to get hit.

Even with armour If u get hit in legs etc in a isolated place boys will be hard pressed to look after for u and u r as good as dead.

I hope u know if a 7.62 round hits u even with full armour and the bullet does not penetrate , still u might get knocked out or incapacitated for some time due the force of the impact. This varies.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

I cannot speak for other countries , but here SF r embedded with regular troops in CT ops or standalone , sometimes wear armour sometimes don't , depends on the ops being carried out and the risk assessment.
The body armour r always present on site if required.

However for ops into enemy territory , the boys don't wear armour.

Engaging in a firefight is a risk , even with body armour u may go down depends on the types of ammo being used , also no head gear can stop even normal 7.62 rounds except for patka head gear which unfortunately doesn't provide full sphere protection to the head.

So as usual u have to take risks and try hard not to get hit.

I hope u know if a 7.62 round hits u even with full armour and the bullet does not penetrate , still u might get knocked out or incapacitated for some time due the force of the impact. This varies.
Soldiering was never meant for the faint hearted, they all new what they were getting into.

In Nigeria, sometimes they wear armour, but the guys in the AFSF unit most times do not. It's not an easy job. From a Nigerian experience, just get a bigger gun, or have a bigger gun by your side at all times. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

Soldiering was never meant for the faint hearted, they all new what they were getting into.

In Nigeria, sometimes they wear armour, but the guys in the AFSF unit most times do not. It's not an easy job. From a Nigerian experience, just get a bigger gun, or have a bigger gun by your side at all times. grin grin

IMO Better tactics and good situational awareness all the time triumphs bigger weaponry especially when it comes to SF

u guys need to invest in thermobaric launchers.

Last month even terrorists from across the border killed were found with thermobaric launchers, the killed terrorists were from a BAT team so maybe the SSG members had bought their gear with them.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2018
Pic from today's encounter killed a top let commander.

2nd guy definitely SF , not wearing body armour. None of them r from the looks of it.

The headgear u can see is known as patka , which can stop even 7.62mm rounds but only at the sides. No other headgear can stop the 7.62 round.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 3:38pm On Mar 05, 2018
What Country is this?

nemesis4u:
Pic from today's encounter killed a top let commander.

2nd guy definitely SF , not wearing body armour. None of them r from the looks of it.

The headgear u can see is known as patka , which can stop even 7.62mm rounds but only at the sides. No other headgear can stop the 7.62 round.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2018
kenpaul0:
What Country is this?

Lolz

Ind...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 4:19pm On Mar 05, 2018
Henry240:

@Nemesis4u
there are parts of you face,head and torso,that aren't protected.i remember an afghanistan soldier was killed,after a bullet entered below his armpit and hit his heart ,thus killing him instantly.we just see the go-pro angle of the four green green beret. separated from the group
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2018
nemesis4u:

you can never outrun a bullet,those green berets had only the vehicle for cover,the bushes offered no protection,also the enemy had a well laid ambush and outflanking them
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 05, 2018
newafricaken254:
you can never outrun a bullet,those green berets had only the vehicle for cover,the bushes offered no protection,also the enemy had a well laid ambush and outflanking them

it sound callous but sometimes there is no out running ur fate/destiny

(1) (2) (3) ... (1608) (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: jl115, GeneralFarouq and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.