Stats: 3,152,012 members, 7,814,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1685) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5961126 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1682) (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) (1687) (1688) ... (2842) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2018
Watch Nigerian Air Force helicopter provide CAS for ground troops.

Beauty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrbdVs3lOvE

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
ssaengine:
R10 bet that Henry is an only child. Attention seeking traits.

I missed this.

I asked you hypocritical South-Africans to say congrats to him, and you are here shedding crocodile tears.

Do i look like i need your acceptance or have i ever hidden my disgust for most of you hypocritical South-Africans?

Patches689 was well comfortable posting pictures of fighter cockpits, but feels saying "congratulations" to a man making real life thread related achievements is spamming.

come on, don't be stupid or delusional..................at least not on this.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2018
Henry240:

I missed this.

I asked you hypocritical South-Africans to say congrats to him, and you are here shedding crocodile tears.

Do i look like i need your acceptance or have i ever hidden my disgust for most of you hypocritical South-Africans?

Patches689 was well comfortable posting pictures of fighter cockpits, but feels saying "congratulations" to a man making real life thread related achievements is spamming.

Wow you're still on this? No you don't look like you need acceptance, although you do sound particularly stupid. If you had made a group announcement asking why people are silent, fine. But you were basically focusing on Patches & covering it up to pretend as if you're trying to make a valid point. This argument ended as soon as it began.

You're free to reply to yourself from here on. I'm done. Cheers.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 1:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
South African artillery

Denel 155mm

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 1:40pm On Jun 10, 2018
Badger missile variant

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 2:12pm On Jun 10, 2018
US military: 4 US Special forces soldiers wounded in Somalia, treated in Kenya

MOGADISHU, Somalia — Four U.S. service members who were wounded in an extremist attack in Somalia that killed one special operations soldier have been treated and discharged, the U.S. military said Saturday.

A U.S. Africa Command statement said the four were in the care of the U.S. Embassy medical team in neighboring Kenya. They were awaiting transport “for additional medical evaluation.”

The Pentagon said Staff Sgt. Alexander W. Conrad, 26, of Chandler, Arizona, died Friday of injuries sustained from what it called enemy indirect fire. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The names of those wounded were not released.

This was the first public announcement of a U.S. military combat death in Africa since four U.S. service members were killed in a militant ambush in the West African nation of Niger in October.

Friday’s attack in Jubaland is likely to put renewed scrutiny on America’s counterterror operations in Africa.

U.S. troops with Somali and Kenyan forces came under mortar and small-arms fire and one “partner force member” also was wounded in the attack about 350 kilometers (217 miles) southwest of the capital, Mogadishu, the U.S. military said. link https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/us-military-4-soldiers-wounded-in-somalia-treated-in-kenya/2018/06/09/a62926f8-6c5b-11e8-a335-c4503d041eaf_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f57a8774521f
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
Henry240:

I missed this.

Chicken-Stew gate continues.

More on this developing controversy at 10!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
Interesting thing people often miss... The importance of "bush-trials". After complete, the Badger re-appeared featuring:
- a branch deflector on the turret
- re-configured commanders-periscope (it can now move to a position that protects the glass)
- removal of front tow-ropes
- protection for road lights
- massively improved suspension (see vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VRk75lu1pE

Running the same track in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwQiroaZLI

See pics too

Apart from some strategic disagreements (my civilian opinions - would prefer to have seen a Ratel Mk2, cheaper) I must say I am quite pleased with how the project has come along. Although it would have been nice to see the ingwe 30mm CAMGUN combo as standard, as well as a dedicated direct-fire fire-support option included in the program (maybe one of the solutions from Cockrill as an off-the-self option) instead of the IMO undergunned 60mm (we have been down this road before)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 7:06pm On Jun 10, 2018
Added to that, they need a 120mm mortar variant in the mix as well. I suspect that the Ratel 81 will be in service for the duration of the Badger service live.

An interesting idea would have been to develop a 81mm turret instead of the 60. Would have been a 80% solution to both the indirect fire and fire support missions. Ad a couple of vehicles to the 81mm battery, so you could swap some in and out of the fire support and Bn. indirect fire roles. As a bonus you have 1 less ammo type in you log. train.
Then again, they will probably just use the Rooikat in this role. In that case the SANDF should look at some more midlife upgrades to the ones held in surplus and dedicate them to fire support leaving the rest of the Kat fleet dedicated to the recon/cavalry mission. I'd have fire support Rooikats organic to mech infantry units.

IMHO they should have stuck with the 35mm Emak and developed a 50mm supershot round for a fire support vehicle along with Ingwe's mounted to the turret. That would just have required a barrel change. The AP version of the 50mm supershot will take care of any future IFV's and it also has space for guidance electronics as a AA option to take care of drones etc. I've actually never heard a good reason why the SANDF chose to go down the 30mm route when they already had the 35mm ammo in production/inventory. Suspect it was pushed by Denel so they could export 30mm ammo to the miraid of militaries that now use that cal.

patches689:
Interesting thing people often miss... The importance of "bush-trials". After complete, the Badger re-appeared featuring:
- a branch deflector on the turret
- re-configured commanders-periscope (it can now move to a position that protects the glass)
- removal of front tow-ropes
- protection for road lights
- massively improved suspension (see vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VRk75lu1pE

Running the same track in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwQiroaZLI

See pics too

Apart from some strategic disagreements (my civilian opinions - would prefer to have seen a Ratel Mk2, cheaper) I must say I am quite pleased with how the project has come along. Although it would have been nice to see the ingwe 30mm CAMGUN combo as standard, as well as a dedicated direct-fire fire-support option included in the program (maybe one of the solutions from Cockrill as an off-the-self option) instead of the IMO undergunned 60mm (we have been down this road before)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 11, 2018
Nigerian Air Force MI-35p which recently completed in-country LEP (Life Extension Programme).

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 10:21am On Jun 11, 2018
Sudan army designated marksman/sniper

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
61mech:
Added to that, they need a 120mm mortar variant in the mix as well. I suspect that the Ratel 81 will be in service for the duration of the Badger service live.

An interesting idea would have been to develop a 81mm turret instead of the 60. Would have been a 80% solution to both the indirect fire and fire support missions. Ad a couple of vehicles to the 81mm battery, so you could swap some in and out of the fire support and Bn. indirect fire roles. As a bonus you have 1 less ammo type in you log. train.
Then again, they will probably just use the Rooikat in this role. In that case the SANDF should look at some more midlife upgrades to the ones held in surplus and dedicate them to fire support leaving the rest of the Kat fleet dedicated to the recon/cavalry mission. I'd have fire support Rooikats organic to mech infantry units.

IMHO they should have stuck with the 35mm Emak and developed a 50mm supershot round for a fire support vehicle along with Ingwe's mounted to the turret. That would just have required a barrel change. The AP version of the 50mm supershot will take care of any future IFV's and it also has space for guidance electronics as a AA option to take care of drones etc. I've actually never heard a good reason why the SANDF chose to go down the 30mm route when they already had the 35mm ammo in production/inventory. Suspect it was pushed by Denel so they could export 30mm ammo to the miraid of militaries that now use that cal.

wait, is that a Rooikat with the 40mm bofors from the CV90?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 11, 2018
[quote author=kikuyu1 post=68294241][/quote]

The Inkunzi (PAW20) has been supplied to the Recces, with plans for the Parabats, but I'm not aware of any immediate plans to supply it to sections in the regulars. A colleague on doctrine development called it a weapon in search of a role, for motorised/regular infantry.
The Kurds (fell off the back of a truck grin) have been using it well as counter VBIED. On COIN and peace-keeping ops I can see it as a section weapon.

I'm far more interested in the Inkunzi Strike - 20mm auto for ground, vehicle, aero, with .50 calibre change for training and exercise.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 3:06am On Jun 12, 2018
for those who don't know ... i only author at African Military Blog and NO OTHER...

you can check out our latest articles
------------
Proforce Limited: A Nigerian Premier Defense Company at Eurosatory 2018

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/06/proforce-limited-a-nigerian-company-at-eurosatory-2018

--------------------

AFRICAN RELATIONS & GEOPOLITICS JUNE 10, 2018

Operation Barkhane: French War in Africa’s Sahel.

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/06/operation-barkhane-french-war-in-africas-sahel

----------------------
EXCLUSIVES, SECURITY JUNE 10, 2018

[Exclusive] Demfas Aerosystems signs MoU with Chinese firm on AI System

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/06/exclusive-demfas-aerosystems-signs-mou-with-chinese-firm-on-ai-system
----------------------

CYBER/SPACE, EVENT, SECURITY JUNE 9, 2018
This year’s Africa Cyber Defense Summit to hold in Kenya

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/06/this-years-africa-cyber-defense-summit-to-hold-in-kenya

--------------
AEROSPACE JUNE 7, 2018

Ethiopian Air Force receives C-130 Hercules aircraft from US

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/06/ethiopian-air-force-receives-c-130-hercules-aircraft-from-us
--------------------------

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 12, 2018
Nigeria's Proforce Defence Booth at Eurosatory 2018

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 8:26am On Jun 12, 2018
frumentius:

The Inkunzi (PAW20) has been supplied to the Recces, with plans for the Parabats, but I'm not aware of any immediate plans to supply it to sections in the regulars. A colleague on doctrine development called it a weapon in search of a role, for motorised/regular infantry.
The Kurds (fell off the back of a truck grin) have been using it well as counter VBIED. On COIN and peace-keeping ops I can see it as a section weapon.

I'm far more interested in the Inkunzi Strike - 20mm auto for ground, vehicle, aero, with .50 calibre change for training and exercise.

I agree 100% with that.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 12:23pm On Jun 12, 2018
i do not like Buhari's government very much but can you see how he was recieved in Morrocco?

apart from Mandela, no other African leader is received with this much respect anywhere else either in Africa, or the entire world.

this shows our place in the grand scheme of things.

i heard it was broadcast live on 8 ot their national channels.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:49pm On Jun 12, 2018
MiddleDimension:
i do not like Buhari's government very much but can you see how he was recieved in Morrocco?

apart from Mandela, no other African leader is received with this much respect anywhere else either in Africa, or the entire world.

Sorry, but what are we to do with this info
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 12:52pm On Jun 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
Sorry, but what are we to do with this info

everything! cant you see SECURITY ALL AROUND HIM?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Sizzorkay: 1:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Lol, security all around him? Well, he's a visiting head of state, Morocco is responsible for his security, and why are you surprised Morocco showed him such love? We aren't a tiny country, there was a time Washington DC was littered with the Nigerian flag when Shagari visited ( i think it was Shagari) , with Americans waving Nigerian flag and lined up the street just to see him.
Our fall in prestige is our fault, no one else's

MiddleDimension:

everything! cant you see SECURITY ALL AROUND HIM?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
I've hear that it can convert to .50.
Not to sure if its 12.7x99 NATO as the Inkunzi is 20X42mm. Don't know how they got the action working with a cartridge thats that much longer.
It might be a cut down .50cal. The one vid they have on youtube shows what looks like at most 338 brass case ejecting.
12.7mm would make a pretty big fireball coming out out that short barrel.
The 20x42 Practice round should be used for training. The more they buy in that cal., the more the unit price goes down. For some reason we only used HE and AP in the Ratels 20mm's for training even though Prac ammo is much less expensive.

Forgotten weapons on youtube is working on a vid covering a lot of SA infantry weapons. They did a piece on the Inkuzi that should clear up some of the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lf8dfVgJgg

frumentius:

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
Also check out the vid they did on the Vector CR-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4M7RVOEm0

61mech:
I've hear that it can convert to .50.
Not to sure if its 12.7x99 NATO as the Inkunzi is 20X42mm. Don't know how they got the action working with a cartridge thats that much longer.
It might be a cut down .50cal. The one vid they have on youtube shows what looks like at most 338 brass case ejecting.
12.7mm would make a pretty big fireball coming out out that short barrel.
The 20x42 Practice round should be used for training. The more they buy in that cal., the more the unit price goes down. For some reason we only used HE and AP in the Ratels 20mm's for training even though Prac ammo is much less expensive.

Forgotten weapons on youtube is working on a vid covering a lot of SA infantry weapons. They did a piece on the Inkuzi that should clear up some of the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lf8dfVgJgg

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2018
MiddleDimension:

Comon man, President of the Richest, most populous, and most influential black nation on earth come visiting... and u expect it to be boring undecided? For real ?

Plus the fact that Morocco is doing everything possible just to become a member of ECOWAS! And I guess you know who call the shots in ECOWAS wink

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Ibrahimanees: 3:23pm On Jun 12, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Common man, President of the Richest, most populous, and most influential black nation on earth come visiting... and u expect it to be boring undecided? For real ?
*Sighs* (shakes head)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2018
Ibrahimanees:

*Sighs* (shakes head)

Sorry if the facts spooked wink

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2018
Libyan National Army Air Forces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lziSdfUWww
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
na who get this defensenigeria blog
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Very old pic, but I like it.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:05pm On Jun 12, 2018

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2018
giles14:
na who get this defensenigeria blog
SSBN why you asking?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:32pm On Jun 12, 2018
lionel4power:
SSBN why you asking?
was just reading how oga beeg flogged and tutored him on twitter,was laughing and pitying the guy

(1) (2) (3) ... (1682) (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) (1687) (1688) ... (2842) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80