Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,677 members, 7,831,101 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1714) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5986407 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1711) (1712) (1713) (1714) (1715) (1716) (1717) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 8:16am On Jul 16, 2018
giles14:
most soldiers been killed are not those been rotated but new Gucci boys fresh from the depot.
My point exactly......you need a ratio of exprienced in the field to non experienced in the field to give the new lads on the job training......else, they are as good as new civilians when baptism of fire begins..... but with the right ratio, there would be a balance to stop the defence or attack crumbling.......lets not forfet BHT is learning on the job, same way any military learns on the job and adapts.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 8:19am On Jul 16, 2018
giles14:
most soldiers been killed are not those been rotated but new Gucci boys fresh from the depot.

Who remembers the colombia army guys versus the farc....that all the army guys couldnt even mount a decent defense.....thats whats happens when you have fresh on the field lads
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:24am On Jul 16, 2018
Stephandeswardt:

Who remembers the colombia army guys versus the farc....that all the army guys couldnt even mount a decent defense.....thats whats happens when you have fresh on the field lads
What then do you learn in Infantry school? I am sure its not anthem & march drills
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 8:34am On Jul 16, 2018
Odunayaw:
What then do you learn in Infantry school? I am sure its not anthem & march drills

When the bullets starts flying.....you will understand what fright can do.......thats why you need a ratio of battle tested; to make the lads function, else almost 800 men, with equipment ran away from what number of BHT? Even if it comes to savage hand to hand...they shouldnt loose.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 8:40am On Jul 16, 2018
This july and august is going to be terrible...because BHT has been hibernating somewhere and just got new stock army equipment.......when we were going weeks without confrontation, i was saying it, something is wrong....the front is too quiet to be a front.....later we started confronting and making seizures...it was 1 ak 47 and den guns.....later more aks and fewer den guns, later more assorted rifles and grenades , later more assorted rifles, grenades and anti aircraft guns.......that is when i started sensing major battles like this are going to be cropping up.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by PrinxArthur1(m): 8:49am On Jul 16, 2018
newafricaken254:
Kenya defence cabinet secretary on board P6129 kenya NAVY KNS Shujaa after its arrival from Netherlands,where it had undergone mid-life refitting
who is the shooter there the man or the woman
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 16, 2018
Kk

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:17am On Jul 16, 2018
Stephandeswardt:

When the bullets starts flying.....you will understand what fright can do.......thats why you need a ratio of battle tested; to make the lads function, else almost 800 men, with equipment ran away from what number of BHT? Even if it comes to savage hand to hand...they shouldnt loose.
Tah
The Chain of Command should take some stick, heck even the plank. Not everyone is "inexperienced", where are the supposedly battle hardened Sgt,SSgt etc even if the Officers are lilies
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 9:43am On Jul 16, 2018
nemesis8u:

Operation ( defensive or otherwise ) inside a base u control and operation inside a hostile territory with which u r not familiar is 2 different things.

One thing I found surprising is that the commander withdrew while majority of his men where left behind.

In CT ops especially in tough conditions NCOs r better suited to lead the men , officers especially senior r not conditioned enough or linked enough with men.

If I were incharge in hostile territory I would rather have groups lead by NCOs who r made responsible for command under fire collectively with delegation of AORs.

Chain of command is important. But longer the chain of command is in a situation requiring immediate response the more prone it is to breakdown or create confusion.

the effectiveness of command varies at different levels.

Under fire the command at the lowest hierarchy is what matters most and inturn most effective.

I don't expect most of u to understand this , one needs to be in such situations to understand how this works.

Basically we saying the samething
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 16, 2018
Sss
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
Stephandeswardt:

Watch the video again.

The Colombian unit that got wiped was a small detachment sent to extract the journalist, they moved to the top of a hill which had less vegetation so a helo could come in... the rest of the Columbian soldiers were fighting in the valley. The commander had to send them up to this exposed and dangerous position to get the journo out.

This is very common in Jungle fighting, read Mattahorn by Carl Marlantes, he was an Rhodes Scholar and USMC 1st Lt in Vietnam, he talks alot about commanders having to make these kinds of decisions in non-linear Jungle warfare. He talks in length about having to issue orders that he knew full well would likely get men killed, but were necessary in order to win the fight or achieve an important objective*

Little to do with experience, it was simply a high risk task and on that occasion they got caught.

*the sad part is that its usually the best soldiers who get ordered to do these suicidal tasks, because officers know they will get the job done.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2018
Stephandeswardt:

Quality training, good equipment and (most important) the correct doctrine will all most always beat experience.

Experience is what the lazy man relies on because building up good training regimes, buying the right equipment and developing and teaching the right doctrine is far harder to do than just throwing guys at the front lines.

It takes one battle to make a "veteran" it takes decades to build a quality army.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2018
nemesis8u:

Operation ( defensive or otherwise ) inside a base u control and operation inside a hostile territory with which u r not familiar is 2 different things.

One thing I found surprising is that the commander withdrew while majority of his men where left behind.

In CT ops especially where immediately response and command is required NCOs r better suited to lead the men , sometimes officers especially senior r not conditioned enough or linked enough with men.

If I were incharge in hostile territory I would rather have groups lead by NCOs who r made responsible for command under fire collectively with delegation of AORs ( they usually r in a way but still need to be drilled in with extra effort etc). They will still take orders from higher up but will function even if the top hierarchy ceases to function.

Chain of command is important. But longer the chain of command is in a situation requiring immediate response the more prone it is to breakdown or create confusion among the men below. This is when the fight or flight kicks in.

What I want to say is that the effectiveness of command varies at different levels especially in time critical situations.

Under fire generally the command at the lowest hierarchy is what matters most and inturn most effective.

Anyways it is my personal opinion and may or may not be correct

I haven't seen a vid or a link so Idk if this was an intel failure where they were overwhelmed by hidden BH thousands or a command failure like El Adde where a massive VBIED was allowed into an unprotected perimeter along with many other blunders. I strongly suggest we ALL hold off the blame game til all facts are in.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 16, 2018
kikuyu1:

I

Who is blaming who ?

Only reference I made was to the commander . And surely I did not blame him only expressed surprise.

Rest was in reference to CT ops based on what I know . Specifically chain of command.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidex111: 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
Odunayaw:

grin grin grin grin

Am laughing In Spanish
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
nemesis8u:

Who is blaming who ?

Only reference I made was to the commander . And surely I did not blame him only expressed surprise.

Rest was in reference to CT ops based on what I know . Specifically chain of command.

I was referring to everyone else,ofc! Even now almost 24 hrs later, I can't find anything solid.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ViceAdmirlAgain: 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2018

Windhoek, 05 July 2018: The MOD bid farewell to Maj Gen (Rtd) Ben Uuyumba Kadhila, the former Chief of Staff Joint Operations. At his farewell ceremony, Lt Gen John Mutwa, Chief of the Namibian Defence Force referred to Gen Kadhila as a professional soldier who possesses valuable skills, knowledge and positive qualities.

At the same ceremony, Hon. Penda Ya Ndakolo, Minister of Defence conferred him with four medals:
1. Army Pioneer Medal in recognition of the role he played and for outstanding meritorious service in the establishment of the Namibian Army in 1990.
2. Mandume Ya Ndemufayo Medal in recognition of the role he played for the bravery participation and exceptionally meritorious service while serving in support of Operation Mandume Ya Ndemufayo.
3. Army Ten Years Medal in recognition for his meritorious achievement during a decade of service in the Namibian Army.
4.Army Twenty Years Medal in recognition for his meritorious achievement during two decades of service in the Namibian Army.

Gen Kadhila is a former combatant of the People's Liberation Army of Namibia and was inducted into the NDF as Captain in 1990. He rose through the rank structure and served the NDF in various capacities including being the Brigade Commander of SADC Allied Operation in DRC and Namibia First Contingent Commander for the same Operations from 1998 to 2001. He is a recipient of Grand Command of the Most Excellent Order of Namibia 2nd Class amongst other medals and awards.#MODNamibia#

@Gottfried any idea on who will replace him at JOps

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2018
Let's all wait till BHTs release their propaganda video...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidex111: 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2018
Stephandeswardt:
This july and august is going to be terrible...because BHT has been hibernating somewhere and just got new stock army equipment.......when we were going weeks without confrontation, i was saying it, something is wrong....the front is too quiet to be a front.....later we started confronting and making seizures...it was 1 ak 47 and den guns.....later more aks and fewer den guns, later more assorted rifles and grenades , later more assorted rifles, grenades and anti aircraft guns.......that is when i started sensing major battles like this are going to be cropping up.

July & August are always worst because of the bad terrain .

You've always mentioned these.. Now they are showing there ugly face.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2018
PRESS RELEASE

UPDATE ON THE ATTACK ON SOLDIERS BY BOKO HARAM IN BAMA

1.The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to news making the round alleging attack on soldiers and capturing of military vehicles by Boko Haram in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

2. The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media.

3. Contrary to the report, the Nigerian Army wishes to put the record straight on the issue and assure members of the public particularly residents of the North East to disregard the report as their safety is guaranteed.

4.The Nigeria Army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram Terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bugged down. The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force.

5. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds. Efforts are being intensified by the troops to get the fleeing members of the Boko Haram terrorists.

6. Unfortunately, one officer and a soldier sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at the military medical facility.

7. While the Nigerian Army would not join issues with the media, certain facts must be reported with caution particularly now that numerous successes have been recorded by the troops in the fight against insurgency.

8. Members of the public are hereby advised to disregard the report and go about their legitimate businesses as the Nigerian Army is on top of the situation.

9. It is my well-thought-out opinion that in future, media practitioners should endeavour to verify facts from the appropriate military authority before rushing to the press.

10. Thank you.

TEXAS CHUKWU
Brigadier General
Director Army Public Relations
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2018
This is the official position of the Nigerian army. Until there is contrary evidence to support the currently trending story, every other thing is just un-verified hearsay.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2018
bidex111:

July & August are always worst because of the bad terrain .

You've always mentioned these.. Now they are showing there ugly face.
I don't agree. Until there is verifiable evidence to support the claims of BHT sacking a base, i don't be the story.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2018
Henry240:
This is the official position of the Nigerian army. Until there is contrary evidence to support the currently trending story, every other thing is just un-verified hearsay.
They are not saying anything about the attack on Jilli,Yobe State.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2018
N.A. NEWS FLASH AS THEY USE TO LET OUT..!!!

The joint task force of the Nigerian 33rd special forces brigade this afternoon neutralize a band of 50 Boko Harams terrorist along the Gomboru Ngala axis, items recovered include 2 Dane guns, 2 catapult, 3 stones, 4 bottle, 2 knock out and a pack of matches...!!!

Me think N.A. always get the wrong men, now that the real BHT showed up they picked race...which kind country be this sef...!!!

We need pray for our dear country...!!!
Peace...!!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2018
Story....When BH releases video of the attack they would now look STUPID!!!!

Henry240:
PRESS RELEASE

UPDATE ON THE ATTACK ON SOLDIERS BY BOKO HARAM IN BAMA

1.The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to news making the round alleging attack on soldiers and capturing of military vehicles by Boko Haram in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

2. The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media.

3. Contrary to the report, the Nigerian Army wishes to put the record straight on the issue and assure members of the public particularly residents of the North East to disregard the report as their safety is guaranteed.

4.The Nigeria Army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram Terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bugged down. The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force.

5. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds. Efforts are being intensified by the troops to get the fleeing members of the Boko Haram terrorists.

6. Unfortunately, one officer and a soldier sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at the military medical facility.

7. While the Nigerian Army would not join issues with the media, certain facts must be reported with caution particularly now that numerous successes have been recorded by the troops in the fight against insurgency.

8. Members of the public are hereby advised to disregard the report and go about their legitimate businesses as the Nigerian Army is on top of the situation.

9. It is my well-thought-out opinion that in future, media practitioners should endeavour to verify facts from the appropriate military authority before rushing to the press.

10. Thank you.

TEXAS CHUKWU
Brigadier General
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2018
Xbee007:

They are not saying anything about the attack on Jilli,Yobe State.

PRESS RELEASE

RE: BOKO HARAM OVERRUN MILITARY BASE IN YOBE, SOLDIERS MISSING

1. The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a publication on the front page of Daily Trust Newspaper of Monday, 16 July 2018 titled “BOKO HARAM OVERRUN MILITARY BASE IN YOBE, SOLDIERS MISSING”. In the said story, the report stated inter alia, that “over six hundred soldiers are still missing after suspected Boko Haram militants overran a military base in Yobe state”.

2. The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but capable of misleading members of the general public.

3. The write-up further alleged that about 100 of the troops that disappeared from the base in Jilli after the clash have reported in Geidam town but very few of them had their weapons with them.

4. Contrary to the report, the Army wishes to state that, although the base was attacked by suspected Boko Haram insurgents, troops reorganised and successfully repelled the attack and normalcy has since returned to the area. Also, all the troops in the base were accounted for contrary to the report.

5. Consequently, the Nigerian Army wishes to state that the fight against Boko Haram Terrorists in the North Eastern parts of the country is yielding positive result that lead to the return of some Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) back to their ancestral homes.

6. The Nigerian Army therefore advised members of the public particularly residents of the affected areas to go about their legitimate businesses and disregard the said report as the Nigerian Army will continue to protect lives and property of citizens at all times.

7. The Nigerian Army also call on the media to always restrain caution, verify facts as well as balance their reports before rushing to the press to avoid misinforming the public on sensitive issues.

8. Thank you.

TEXAS CHUKWU
Brigadier General
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2018
I know its not possible for 670 soldiers to be missing.

We really need to do something about this crazy Media houses that circulate fake news.

The soldiers probably reorganized and launch their own attack to push out the terrorist from the base.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 16, 2018

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 6:33am On Jul 17, 2018
Military Base Attacked By Boko Haram In Yobe

Here are pictures of the military base which was recently attacked by Boko Haram insurgents in Yobe state. Some soldiers were reported missing after Boko Haram insurgents overran a military base in the remote part of the North-East, in the second major assault on the armed forces in two days.

The attack took place just 24 hours after Boko Haram fighters ambushed a military convoy in neighbouring Borno State on Friday.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:03am On Jul 17, 2018
Red Kestrel

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:43pm On Jul 17, 2018
That feeling when your police will never look as good as the Rhode Island state police
cry

feels bad man

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gees9: 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2018
patches689:
That feeling when your police will never look as good as the Rhode Island state police
cry

feels bad man

They'd all get eaten alive in downtown Jozi even the Delta Force looking fella wink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1711) (1712) (1713) (1714) (1715) (1716) (1717) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.