Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1947) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5975956 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1944) (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) (1949) (1950) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2019
jln115:

[s]Again this is incorrect.... The Mamba only went in to production in 1994....and have been upgraded on serval occasions with the last upgrade taking place in the mid 2000s

The last Casspir upgrade took place in 2006

New equipment that first entered service after border war:
Valour class frigates
Heroine class subs
Gripen fighters
Hawk lift
A109s
Super lynx
Several missile systems
Several anti air systems
G6 howitzer
Mamba apc
Several rifle and pistols
Hornet rdrv
Seeker 400
LinkZA
Chaka c2
Ect
Ect

Equipment that have been upgraded extensively after the border war

Olifant mk2 tank
Oryx mk2
Rooikat 76mm
Casspir
Oerlikon 35mm aa
Several rifle and pistols
G5 howitzer
Bateleur rocket luncher[/s]
Ect ect

You are grasping at straws sir.

Do you know what armour is? I said the bulk of your armour is from 40 years ago. This is a fact.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 16, 2019
kabe1:

You are not deployed in Mali.

MINUSMA mission is the world's most dangerous UN mission. The Nigerian army and police are deployed there.

You had a training mission in the CAR, and if I can remember correctly, it did not go well for you.

Tanzania and Malawi are deployed alongside the South-African army in the DRC. Ukraine also supplies helo support.

Lesotho is a tiny patch of land completed surrounded on all sides by South-Africa.

Mozambique is a humanitarian mission, you sent helicopters there to rescue people from flood.

South-Sudan is a mainly Uganda led mission, at least when the fighting was at it's peak.

You don't get ambushed or bombed by adversaries whose intent is to kill you in a training exercise.

Please don't be disingenuous, you don't have to lie. I am not happy with the insurgency in Nigeria.

To claim that your vehicles are in top notch when you don't field them in large combat operations is a blatant lie.

Nigeria has purchased nearly 500 APCs in the last 9 years, including 47 units from South-Africa.

The fact is for a middle-income country, to deploy only armour in the middle of an insurgency is not possible.

Take the Syrian army as a good example.
- I said HAS been deployed in Mali not "currently deployed in Mali"

- I never said it wasn't...... I said monusco is one of.... Not thee most. And yes I would also say Nigerian forces have been doing a commendable job in Mali!!

- 1.it wasn't a training mission and 2. They were successful in their mission objectives and 3. It went extremely well, 200 lightly armed SANDF soldiers took on 4000 seleka rebels and held their own until seleka raised the white flag and asked for a cease fire, also 13 kia vs 800+ kia..... Do the math.

-And?

-again And? Boko harm is literally holding land in side Nigeria thus totally surrounded by Nigeria.... So what's the difference between that and Lesotho?....... Im not discrediting Nigeria but simply using Boko haram as a comparison

- And? Is our equipment not tested during humanitarian missions?

- Source?

- Training is there to simulate the real thing, and the proof is in the pudding since our convoys are ambushed regularly and the outcome is almost always the same.

- You do know our vehicles are not only used by the SANDF right?? The Mamba and Casspir have been exported all over the world and have seen extensive combat all across the world from Africa to Afghanistan and have proven their worth.

-you do know APCs aren't Armour right? Armour divisions consist out of heavily armed Vehicles like tanks and AFVs not APCs. So to that extent I do agree that its not possible to deploy large amounts of armour given the cost and logistic problems.... Not even the SADF of old were able to deploy huge amounts of armour.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2019
kabe1:

You are grasping at straws sir.

Do you know what armour is? I said the bulk of your armour is from 40 years ago. This is a fact.
Where did you even mention Armour in your quote below??

"The SA army has not purchased any new APCs since 40 years ago. Most of that equipment were purchased when they were fighting in Angola"

Seems like you don't know what Armour is my friend..... Because APCs are certainly not Armour.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 16, 2019
kabe1:

Can you provide evidence that the bulk of the armour of the South-African army is not from 30 - 40 years ago?
SA armour:

Olifant Mk2 entered service/upgraded in 2006
Olifant mk1b entered service in 1991
Rooikat 76mk1d entered service/upgraded in 2006
Ratel Zt3a2 entered service/upgraded in 2006....will be replace by the Badger.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:55pm On Oct 16, 2019
jln115:

Where did you even mention Armour in your quote below??

"The SA army has not purchased any new APCs since 40 years ago. Most of that equipment were purchased when they were fighting in Angola"

Seems like you don't know what Armour is my friend..... Because APCs are certainly not Armour.

I was specifically referring to the APCs.

However armour includes everything from Tanks to APCs. Mechanized infantry.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2019
kabe1:

I was specifically referring to the APCs.

However armour includes everything from Tanks to APCs. Mechanized infantry.
Armour does not include APCs.... IFVs yes, AFVs yes, Tanks Yes..... But not APCs.

But anyway getting back to your question.

The Mamba has only been in production since 94 and was upgraded to mk3 standard in 2006

The Casspir has been around since the mid 80s but has also received upgrades in the mid 2000s
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Sizzorkay: 11:48pm On Oct 16, 2019
Unless someone is paying some of you guys, you sure do have lots of time on your hands lol, the things people debate over, lord

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 17, 2019
Edit
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by blacKDalia: 10:24am On Oct 17, 2019
jln115:
Armour does not include APCs.... IFVs yes, AFVs yes, Tanks Yes..... But not APCs.

But anyway getting back to your question.

The Mamba has only been in production since 94 and was upgraded to mk3 standard in 2006

The Casspir has been around since the mid 80s but has also received upgrades in the mid 2000s

Can you expatiate on the bolded please, at least to understand on what context you are saying this, because the initialism APC is Armoured Personnel Carrier.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu2: 2:20pm On Oct 17, 2019
Algerian1:
Fox 2 algeria

Is it just me or could the WZ-551 be a Chinese Fox? Is there a resemblance?

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hailstorm45(m): 4:02pm On Oct 17, 2019
Algerian land forces T90 , T72

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hailstorm45(m): 4:13pm On Oct 17, 2019
Paratroopers

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 17, 2019
blacKDalia:

Can you expatiate on the bolded please, at least to understand on what context you are saying this, because the initialism APC is Armoured Personnel Carrier.
What I mean is APCs don't form part of military Armour

Armour= Tanks, IFVs, AFVs, Anti Tank ect ecy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2019
Koni II . algerian navy

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by blacKDalia: 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2019
jln115:

What I mean is APCs don't form part of military Armour

Armour= Tanks, IFVs, AFVs, Anti Tank ect ecy

I wouldn't want to go back and forth with you, but my understanding from your answer is that your categorization was based on the heavy weaponry these vehicles use, which is different from the term armor as used in the military.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 7:35pm On Oct 17, 2019
Hailstorm45:
Algerian land forces T90 , T72
Oh boy shocked shocked
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 8:27pm On Oct 17, 2019
SANDF Exercise Ukuthula

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by seankafor(m): 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2019
Nobody dey fear trump again.

Look at Erdogan throwing his letter to the dustbin grin

First north Korea,now Turkey cheesy

Maybe it's time Nigeria and Buhari flex his own muscles on trump face.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gabng(m): 12:52am On Oct 18, 2019
AFSF - Armed Forces Special Forces is a Tri-service unit under the administrative & operational command of Defence Headquarters (DHQ).

Officers & men are drawn from the NA, NN & NAF.

Cannonleo:
my humble understanding of AFSF is Airforce Special Forces Operator

And you have a navy guy.

Do the maths

Correct me if am wrong
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 18, 2019
blacKDalia:

I wouldn't want to go back and forth with you, but my understanding from your answer is that your categorization was based on the heavy weaponry these vehicles use, which is different from the term armor as used in the military.
They are categorised based on role, as simple as that.

Armour is used to penetrate conventional enemy defence lines...... APCs on the other hand are used to ferry troops to and from the battlefield, they are to lightly armed and to lightly protected to be used as Armour.....

However the confusion usually comes when there are platforms that can be used either as IFVs or APCs depending on configuration for example The Patria, Piranha, Boomerang ect ect.

But luckily in this case we are talking about the Casspir and Mamba which are strictly APCs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by blacKDalia: 12:46pm On Oct 18, 2019
jln115:

They are categorised based on role, as simple as that.

Armour is used to penetrate conventional enemy defence lines...... APCs on the other hand are used to ferry troops to and from the battlefield, they are to lightly armed and to lightly protected to be used as Armour.....

However the confusion usually comes when there are platforms that can be used either as IFVs or APCs depending on configuration for example The Patria, Piranha, Boomerang ect ect.

But luckily in this case we are talking about the Casspir and Mamba which are strictly APCs.

"In your great and unmatched wisdom" grin and for educational purposes can I've a link where this categorization was made excluding an ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER as armour?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 18, 2019
blacKDalia:

"In your great and unmatched wisdom" grin and for educational purposes can I've a link where this categorization was made excluding an ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER as armour?
now now......no need to get sarcastic with me.

How about a screen shot:

As you can see our APCs don't fall under Armour.

Instead our APCs are part of our motorised infantry battalions......

Pic 3: Also here is our Armoured formation structure:

1 special service battalion operate Ratel IFVs and Rooikat AFVs

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 18, 2019
@BlacKDalia

And in our Mechanized infantry structure, APC only form part of the support vehicles, where as the Alpha vehicles constitute out of Ratel 20,60, 80, 90 and ratel command IFVs.

Our Motorised infantry thus constute the bulk of our APCs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by blacKDalia: 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2019
jln115:
now now......no need to get sarcastic with me.

How about a screen shot:

As you can see our APCs don't fall under Armour.

Instead our APCs are part of our motorised infantry battalions......

Pic 3: Also here is our Armoured formation structure:

1 special service battalion operate Ratel IFVs and Rooikat AFVs

You seem to be prudish, if offended, my apologies. Well, now I get your drift. Your explanation is from how SA's military is structured with its hardware which is different from the norm. When you wrote an APC isn't "armour", I thought you were referring to the protective covering on military vehicles.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Cannonleo(m): 5:28pm On Oct 18, 2019
Shaytun:

ARMED FORCES SPECIAL FORCES not Airforce Special Forces Operator.

Notice the emphasis on armed forces.
noted
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 18, 2019
blacKDalia:

You seem to be prudish, if offended, my apologies. Well, now I get your drift. Your explanation is from how SA's military is structured with its hardware which is different from the norm. When you wrote an APC isn't "armour", I thought you were referring to the protective covering on military vehicles.
Prudish?? Not at all, however I know sarcasm when I see it wink

Anyway back to the point:

The SAn army structure is in fact not different from the norm at all........ in fact its very similar to the structure of the British army which in tern is similar to most NATO structures.

And when I said that APCs aren't "armour" I meant they are not "Armour" by role they certainly are armoured wink

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Chidexter(m): 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2019
pls How do u guys know so much about weapons, military vehicles e.t.c. mehn, each word leads me to opening different tabs on google. i commot cap for una
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by blacKDalia: 8:19pm On Oct 18, 2019
jln115:

Prudish?? Not at all, however I know sarcasm when I see it wink

Anyway back to the point:

The SAn army structure is in fact not different from the norm at all........ in fact its very similar to the structure of the British army which in tern is similar to most NATO structures.

And when I said that APCs aren't "armour" I meant they are not "Armour" by role they certainly are armoured wink

I would've loved to continue this discourse but I think it has dragged on for too long. As always its a pleasure.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 18, 2019
blacKDalia:

I would've loved to continue this discourse but I think it has dragged on for too long. As always its a pleasure.
Fair enough...... you're always welcome to respond in the discussion thread if you have a different opinion on this matter
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Abohboy: 12:26am On Oct 19, 2019
seankafor:
Nobody dey fear trump again.

Look at Erdogan throwing his letter to the dustbin grin

First north Korea,now Turkey cheesy

Maybe it's time Nigeria and Buhari flex his own muscles on trump face.. cheesy

Calm down let us become trillion dollar economy with best military in Africa with nuclear weapon technology from Russia then we can start talking okay

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 19, 2019
Abohboy:

Calm down let us become trillion dollar economy with best military in Africa with nuclear weapon technology from Russia then we can start talking okay
Why would you want nuclear weapons??

And isn't Nigeria already a trillion dollar economy?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 8:38am On Oct 19, 2019
Nigeria’s CSTP Completes Three Successful Experimental Rocket Launches

The Lagos-based Centre For Space Transport And Propulsion (CSTP), a technical arm of the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) focused on space transport and rocketry, has completed three successful experimental rocket launches in the past nine months, recording varying degrees of success.

Established on 19 February 2003, as one of the six activity Centres of NASRDA, CSTP is charged with the responsibility of conducting fundamental research and development (R & D ) of space transport vehicles and propulsion system.

Managed by Nigerian scientists and engineers, the goal of the program is to enable Nigeria to operate a spaceport with the capability to launch commercial satellites into Low Earth Orbit (LEO), Geosynchronous Equatorial Orbit (GEO), and interplanetary space by 2030.

The Centre is strategically situated along the Lagos lagoon in Epe, and near the Lagos State University (LASU), Epe Engineering campus.

According to an official document from the Centre obtained by Space in Africa, CSTP carried three successful rocket test flights: CSTP_TL_1 launched on the 24 April 2019 while CSTP_TL_2 and CSTP_TL_3 were launched on the same day, 25 June 2019.

The document did not disclose the altitude achieved by the experimental flights. However, Space in Africa, in a previous site visit to the Centre, gathered that the Centre has carried out over 30 experimental rocket launches before 2019 with record altitude below 10km.

The recent test launches were conducted to demonstrate an extensive research effort carried out by the Centre to formulate a hybrid of sucrose and sorbitol-based propellants and to ascertain the integrity of its newly developed rocket recovery system.

“In the past CSTP has used sucrose-based or sorbitol-based rocket fuel which is of low energy for its test flights. It is pertinent to note that from 2019, extensive research effort has been carried out to formulate a hybrid of sucrose and sorbitol to obtain a solid rocket fuel of a higher specific impulse than the previous solid rocket fuels. This new fuel will be a game-changer for CSTP and hopefully, it will ensure the retirement of heavier Solid Rocket Motors for lighter ones,” CSTP told Space in Africa.

CSTP made some progress in the past 9 months in developing innovative propulsion systems and new propellants including the “design of a new nozzle and its integration with a bulkhead and chamber for Solid Rocket Motor (SRM) application”. The Centre said it designed and fabricated several SRMs with sorbitol propellants which recorded static test results ranging from 1.2KN-6.2KN. Its SRMs using sucrose and sorbitol-based hybrid propellants recorded 5.13KN with free volume and 7.12KN without free volume. The Centre also developed a 20KN load-cell with integrated data acquisition system (DAQ) for static test of SRM.

In the area of software development, the Centre boasts of developing “advanced in-house software platforms for analysis, evaluation, prediction and estimation of various datasets for optimization of the rocket structure, SMR and rocket test flights”.

On 25 June 2019, the then Director-General of NASRDA, Prof S.O Mohammed commissioned two modern facilities at the Centre: a mechanical workshop and advanced propulsion complex to support the Centre’s research and development activities.

According to Nigeria’s 25-year strategic roadmap for space, CSTP is expected to develop fully functional propulsion systems and sounding rockets to launch Nigerian-made satellites into space from a Nigerian spaceport by 2030.

Although the Centre has fallen short of its development timeline, CSTP officials believe they can still achieve the goal of launching satellites from Nigeria by 2030 if the government prioritizes funding for the project.

The Nigerian government is reportedly considering to set up a new launch site on a remote island in the Atlantic, to accommodate full-sized space launch programme. Space in Africa is yet to confirm the status of the report as most government officials either decline to comment on the plan or deny knowledge of such report.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1944) (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) (1949) (1950) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.