Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2453) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5981362 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2450) (2451) (2452) (2453) (2454) (2455) (2456) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2022
Lurker4Long:

Have you read this?
https://actualcontrol.substack.com/p/a-french-convoys-very-bad-weeks

Since then ishyt has only gotten worse for Jean-Fraude. I wonder how they can support their Mali ops without the Burkina Faso/Niger land route?
NATO nations could chip in their own heavy lifters to fly directly from Europe, BUT for how long?
I see the Algerians have banned French overflights which makes logistical resupply def problematic.
Seen this?
Algeria closes its airspace to French military planes
Algeria has banned French military aircraft from crossing its airspace, the spokesperson for the French General Staff of the Armed Forces told AFP.
[url]https://www.aerotime.aero/29078-algeria-closes-its-airspace-to-french-military-planes/url]

France-Mali distance is 3200 km, manageable with a 130 J at 75% payload. A C17 or 5 though will carry 70 and 140 tons respectively that distance. 4 of the former make up the NATO strategic airlift capability.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Mzal3ndo(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
Tanzania paraded the Chinese VT-2 main battle tank on her 60th Independence celebration. A lot on military analysts where actually surprised that Tanzania had such a system in the first place. This reminds me 10 years ago when Tanzania also displayed the A-100 heavy rocket system, the reaction was the same as people didn't know in the first place that she had such a system. Make me wonder what else she has up her sleeves...
1.Tanzanian VT-2 MBT
2.Chinese VT-2 MBT
3. Tanzanian A-100 HRT

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 9:37pm On Feb 05, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

Meine Gott!! grin
You mean Nigeria doesn't have paved airports and airbases or what? grin

I hope you're aware that the Y-20 is comparable to the American C-17 III Globe master, so it needs expanded runways and it might not be able to land on remote tiny airstrips on the front lines. Currently, the Kanji airbase is being expanded to accommodate those kinda aircraft. Yola airbase, Makurdi airbase and a host of airbases can accommodate these kinda aircrafts.

Military exigency may demand the NA deploys a forward regimental base anywhere within the region I mentioned.

The single dust airstrip at FOB Salerno in A'stan hosted spec ops sub units and regiments of the 82nd and 101.

Over the years, the base eventually grew to house a population of nearly 5,000 servicemen, servicewomen, civilians, and contractors. Salerno grew to the size of a small city and included features such as a combat support hospital, large gymnasium, post exchange, chapel, large chow hall, aviation hangars, maintenance facilities, billets, 5,000 ft dirt and gravel runway, forward refueling and arming point, and sub-camps for U.S. Special Operations Command units.
https://www.airports-worldwide.com/afghanistan/forward_operating_base_salerno_afghanistan.php

You CAN use a jet engine transport with filters to avoid gravel abrading turbine blades but they affect aircraft performance. The C 17 though is built with thrust reversers directing air up and forward. The first pic shows sand in the engine of a C 5 after ingestion on takeoff.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lebuhsi(m): 4:00am On Feb 06, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

Meine Gott!! grin
You mean Nigeria doesn't have paved airports and airbases or what? grin

I hope you're aware that the Y-20 is comparable to the American C-17 III Globe master, so it needs expanded runways and it might not be able to land on remote tiny airstrips on the front lines. Currently, the Kanji airbase is being expanded to accommodate those kinda aircraft. Yola airbase, Makurdi airbase and a host of airbases can accommodate these kinda aircrafts.

All NAF airbases are paved, they might be shocked to know this.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:56am On Feb 06, 2022
lebuhsi:

All NAF airbases are paved, they might be shocked to know this.

Who would be shocked to know this?
You do realise Stormtrooper completely misunderstood kikuyu1, right?

Here's what kikuyu1 said:

Hmmm...I've heard it said jet turbines don't handle unimproved airstrips well. Dust is sucked into the engine eroding the blades: given the nature of W Africa and the Sahel,both likely operational areas I'm curious to see if this is true.

More likely, "they" will be shocked the quote above has morphed into a riff about NAF airbases.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 1:09pm On Feb 06, 2022
Tunisian army participation in WWII along side Nazi Germany

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 2:19pm On Feb 06, 2022
fachfouch:
There was no Tunisian army during WW2, as Tunisia was a French protectorate. Ordinary Tunisians may have fought alongside the Nazis, but not as Tunisian army.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 4:10pm On Feb 06, 2022
Lurker4Long:

There was no Tunisian army during WW2, as Tunisia was a French protectorate. Ordinary Tunisians may have fought alongside the Nazis, but not as Tunisian army.
actually there was as the pics shows clearly the HQ of the Tunisian army... the French did dismantle the army in 1883 keeping only the Bey guard but it was slowly reconstructed under their supervision post WW1...
Tunisia had great autonomy compared to other French colonies it retained its king, constitution and even government (still the final word is of France).
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2022
Lurker4Long:

Who would be shocked to know this?
You do realise Stormtrooper completely misunderstood kikuyu1, right?

Here's what kikuyu1 said:

More likely, "they" will be shocked the quote above has morphed into a riff about NAF airbases.

I was halfway into posting when I realised he'd taken things the wrong way. I just said "eff it" and continued!
Someone may just learn smth from that post

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 5:22pm On Feb 06, 2022
kikuyu1:

I was halfway into posting when I realised he'd taken things the wrong way. I just said "eff it" and continued!
Someone may just learn smth from that post

Hell, you even went on to say this:

Military exigency may demand the NA deploys a forward regimental base anywhere within the region I mentioned.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stormtrooper11(m): 7:38pm On Feb 06, 2022
kikuyu1:

The single dust airstrip at FOB Salerno in A'stan hosted spec ops sub units and regiments of the 82nd and 101.

https://www.airports-worldwide.com/afghanistan/forward_operating_base_salerno_afghanistan.php

You CAN use a jet engine transport with filters to avoid gravel abrading turbine blades but they affect aircraft performance. The C 17 though is built with thrust reversers directing air up and forward. The first pic shows sand in the engine of a C 5 after ingestion on takeoff.

I understand your perspective. I do believe when aircrafts are being acquired, it's being configured to the tastes of the customer. E.g the F-7ni purchased by the federal Republic of Nigeria had their warming systems replaced with cooling systems due to the climate.
Your concerns about dust are genuine,but those incidents of desert storms are only popular in the extreme North-East and North-West regions of the country. Since the beginning of this conflict, the Nigerian Airforce has never landed a fixed-wing airlifter on an airstrip outside the maiduguri airbase. Operations similar to those situations are rare in this part of the world.
In the case that the Nigerian Airforce eventually purchases the Y-20, I don't think it will be landed on tiny airstrips. Their are smaller airlifters that will be fit for the job.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

I understand your perspective. I do believe when aircrafts are being acquired, it's being configured to the tastes of the customer. E.g the F-7ni purchased by the federal Republic of Nigeria had their warming systems replaced with cooling systems due to the climate.

I get your point bro but its is cold up there in 30,000 feet (-20 C and colder) - they will always need heaters in their jets. wink

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 7:27am On Feb 09, 2022
SA exercise

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 7:28am On Feb 09, 2022
Raeblack:
SA exercise

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 7:31am On Feb 09, 2022
[quote author=Raeblack post=110079815][/quote]

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 8:06am On Feb 09, 2022
zambia flood victims evacuation

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 8:07am On Feb 09, 2022
Raeblack:
zambia flood victims evacuation

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:34am On Feb 09, 2022
Raeblack:
SA exercise

Old photos, mate. Been extensively covered here.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:19am On Feb 09, 2022

Five soldiers from 302 GS of the Nigeria Army Onitsha lost their live due MRAP failure.

RIP to the soldiers!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:47am On Feb 09, 2022
Lurker4Long:

RIP to the soldiers!
looks like a road accident unfortunately....rip to the soldiers

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2022
Lurker4Long:

RIP to the soldiers!

WT entire EFF happened!? How could the chassis have separated from the body? It's not lying far away suggesting an accident at speed wasn't the issue.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:12pm On Feb 09, 2022
kikuyu1:

WT entire EFF happened!? How could the chassis have separated from the body? It's not lying far away suggesting an accident at speed wasn't the issue.
I think it rolled...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GeneralFarouq: 7:09pm On Feb 09, 2022
jl115:

I think it rolled...
Seatbelts may have mitigated casualties
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by mekussa(m): 9:51pm On Feb 09, 2022
kikuyu1:

The official line is that its an ACCIDENT while on the way to respond to an incident.

The only reason for this in my book is: THE MANUFACTURERS DID A SHODDY JOB. I also think the Nigerian armed forces got scammed and bought a RUBBISH vehicle without comprehensive field tests as they seem to be one of the first to use this version of the phantom.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:13pm On Feb 09, 2022
mekussa:

The official line is that its an ACCIDENT while on the way to respond to an incident.

The only reason for this in my book is: THE MANUFACTURERS DID A SHODDY JOB. I also think the Nigerian armed forces got scammed and bought a RUBBISH vehicle without comprehensive field tests as they seem to be one of the first to use this version of the phantom.
or it just rolled
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Buschlaid: 12:21pm On Feb 10, 2022
Hello lads, does anyone have some pictures of Zimbabwean Army vehicles? Could be anything from tanks, IFVs to cars and trucks from around 2010 till present.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 1:13pm On Feb 10, 2022
Kenya Shipyard Limited (KSL) has received six orders from Tanzania and Uganda for the construction of ships, raising the business prospects of the newly formed entity.

The firm’s deputy director, Peter Muthungu, added that it had another 11 orders from local firms for the construction of the ships.

“In total, we have got 17 orders from different companies that want us to construct ships for them,” said Col Muthungu.

https://www.monitor.co.ug/uganda/news/national/tanzania-uganda-order-ships-from-kenyan-military-firm-3711858

Also on the same note:

KSL Shipyard today hosted a delegation from Egypt led by Brig Mustafa Jubaili pursuant to implementation of KEN - EGY Joint Military Cooperation activities with intent to exchange expertise and experience.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stormtrooper11(m): 8:55pm On Feb 10, 2022
mekussa:

That's the Isotrex legion MRAP specifically. Isotrex Phantom 2 is an APC.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Raeblack: 8:11am On Feb 11, 2022
the Zambia Air Force (ZAF) has deployed an aircraft at Mozambique’s . “The C-27 ZAF aircraft is scheduled to airlift over 50,000 kilogrammes of cargo for the South African Defence Force from Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria to Mozambique, among other SAMIM assigned tasks,

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 10:11am On Feb 11, 2022
fachfouch:

Thank you for this! I've always said forumers have no idea about the Nazis true intentions or actual history. They still believe in Swindlers List fairy tales after all this time! I provided evidence to the contrary for someone here but he never thanked me.

https://www.nairaland.com/6698384/hennynitanlets-continue-holohoax-discussion-here
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:43am On Feb 11, 2022
Raeblack:
the Zambia Air Force (ZAF) has deployed an aircraft at Mozambique’s . “The C-27 ZAF aircraft is scheduled to airlift over 50,000 kilogrammes of cargo for the South African Defence Force from Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria to Mozambique, among other SAMIM assigned tasks,

Not forgetting the Angolans who are doing the heavy lift duties. Here is an Angolan Air Force Il-76 landing at Waterkloof AFB yesterday, Thursday 11 Feb 22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC39bUMffeM

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:58am On Feb 11, 2022
The first of 3 new IPVs for the SA Navy, going on sea trials.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2450) (2451) (2452) (2453) (2454) (2455) (2456) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: kabe1, samuelgodson(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.