Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2560) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5994985 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2557) (2558) (2559) (2560) (2561) (2562) (2563) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 5:23pm On Jun 14, 2022
Nemesis4you:

ISR element has always been part of artillery since WW1 ( same with armour )

Artillery batteries have had aviation units allocated to them for spotting, fire direction, fire correction, BDA etc

What the drones bring into play when deployed in support of artillery is - reduced cost, high volume of ISR and elimination of risk to pilots

So with time drones will more or less replace the manned platforms in support of ISR for artillery

Cant comment of bayraktar , no info with me regarding same
Alright thanks for the correction
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 5:23pm On Jun 14, 2022
Odunayow:
Nah he won't. He'd make inference from what a distant cousin, an uncle on the maternal side, a 4th generation son, to tell us another story

Me? No, nigga!

a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.
"researchers are entrusted with drawing inferences from the data"

I'm a logical person. In everything I do observe and apply logic. Fyi, 2 different substance abuse counsellors independently told me the same as I recently staged an intervention for a nephew -loooon story!
Applying logic, we'll see how the budget breaks
down per capita into acquisitions, pay, welfare, pension ,base construction & maintenance and other defence budget line items.

Country Budget Personnel per capita spend

Algeria 9.1 bn $ 130000 70000 $

Morocco 5.3 bn $ 200000 26500 $

Egypt 5.1 bn $ 450000 IMPOSSIBLE!

They must have extrabudgetary support. Hmmmm...I thought so. They've been getting 1.5 bn $ annually since 87 from the US to be spent strictly on their own platforms. Where do all their MI A1s, F 16s, Apaches, 130s and even E 2s come from?

GASSSPP!? Look at this:
Informed Egyptian sources have revealed specific information and exclusive details about vast secret funds controlled by the Egyptian military institution as part of its financial assets, which are not subject to any sort of supervision. These funds are not included in the general budget of the state or even the armed forces' budget, not least because a large part is kept outside Egypt.
[urlhttps://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210625-egyptian-army-controls-secret-funds-report-finds//url]

Makes sense when you see the secret armed forces account was worth almost 20 bn $ a decade ago.

Nigeria 4.46 bn $ 223000 20000 $

South Africa 3.2 bn $ 73000 43000$

Kenya 1.1 bn $ 30000 370000 $

These are the facts!

For your own sake outgrow this homotional attitude that makes you cry and throw things when confronted with reality. You're still young and it'll bite you in the arse as you screech, "Oyinbos, Chinese, Arabs are finishing me!"

Think:
- whose army does divisional level live firexes every couple of months?
- whose ordinary infantry guys are so well kitted Naijjans themselves ask if they're specops?
ITS THE BUDGET! Don't get mad.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:31pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

Funny how spending works in South-Africa. The sort of spending that grounds more than 80% of your Gripen fleet, kills of your Patria IFV and can afford to get you one small boat in 10 years.
New SAAB contract has been signed including a new Gripen simulator, the Badger is a Denel failure not a SANDF one. Our IPVs are nearly as big as your OPVs and we purchased 3 of them plus a new Hydrographic survey ship of 95m.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:34pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
New SAAB contract has been signed including a new Gripen simulator, the Badger is a Denel failure not a SANDF one. Our IPVs are nearly as big as your OPVs and we purchased 3 of them plus a new Hydrographic survey ship of 95m.

The sharp end of the SA Air Force (SAAF) – Air Force Base (AFB) Makhado-based 2 Squadron and its Saab Gripen fighters – has been dormant for more than six months with, as yet, no date known or set for the Swedish-built jet fighters to take to the sky with South Africans in the cockpit.

Making matters worse is the Gripen simulator is part and parcel of the not renewed maintenance and support contracts that Department of Defence (DoD) Head of Communication (HOC) Siphiwe Dlamini omitted to mention in his December statement advising the temporary grounding of South Africa’s Gripen fleet.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/saaf-gripens-still-on-the-ground/

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:37pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

The sharp end of the SA Air Force (SAAF) – Air Force Base (AFB) Makhado-based 2 Squadron and its Saab Gripen fighters – has been dormant for more than six months with, as yet, no date known or set for the Swedish-built jet fighters to take to the sky with South Africans in the cockpit.

Making matters worse is the Gripen simulator is part and parcel of the not renewed maintenance and support contracts that Department of Defence (DoD) Head of Communication (HOC) Siphiwe Dlamini omitted to mention in his December statement advising the temporary grounding of South Africa’s Gripen fleet.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/saaf-gripens-still-on-the-ground/
Same article

The one-star added “negotiation has been concluded” with “the process” in “the final phase awaiting final contract placement”.

the Swedish-built jets, according to Kweta, have been maintained “even during times of not having a contract”.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:39pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:

You have 1 IPV in service for a contract signed in 2018.

5 years for 1 IPV.

Your Project Hotel is nearly 30 years old, yet no Hydrographic ship to show for it.

You are hopelessly delusional.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:39pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:

Same article

The one-star added “negotiation has been concluded” with “the process” in “the final phase awaiting final contract placement”.

the Swedish-built jets, according to Kweta, have been maintained “even during times of not having a contract”.

Maintained and still gounded.

You are moronic.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:45pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

5 years for 1 IPV.

Your Project Hotel is nearly 30 years old, yet no Hydrographic ship to show for it.

What is this:

The first MMIPV, SAS Sekukhune (P1571) will be handed over to the SA Navy on 18 May in Simon’s Town. Damen Shipyards Cape Town was contracted in January 2018 to deliver three Biro vessels, with the second (P1572) to be handed over in June 2023 and P1573 in September 2024.

Project Hotel:
Project Hotel survey vessel to be delivered in 2023
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

Maintained and still gounded.

You are moronic.
Certain parts can only be ordered from the OEM

Also if you can actually read then you'll realise those are not my words wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MAN1960: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
those Budgets are not correct my bru.... They are different to the ones presented by each countries own treasury... I would like to know the source of that infographic

I know your problem with this report, it's because south Africa has the lowest budget among the top 5.

Tell me do you think South Africa in the past three years spends more than Nigeria in defense budget? If you say yes to this question then you will have to explain how Nigeria buy weapons every year and South Africa don't and you still have to explain how many brigades are in the south Africa army and the total number of military personnel's in but Nations so that we can understand you better
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

5 years for 1 IPV.

How long did we wait for 3 JF 17s?? 7 years?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:50pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:

What is this:

The first MMIPV, SAS Sekukhune (P1571) will be handed over to the SA Navy on 18 May in Simon’s Town. Damen Shipyards Cape Town was contracted in January 2018 to deliver three Biro vessels, with the second (P1572) to be handed over in June 2023 and P1573 in September 2024.

Project Hotel:
Project Hotel survey vessel to be delivered in 2023

The Armscor announcement, to which SAS had not responded at the time of publication, ends a process that started in July 2014 when Armscor issued a tender for a new hydrographic platform for the Navy.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 6:05pm On Jun 14, 2022
GreenandGold:

Please behave Henry, I still have your picture hey. grin grin

You really do owe Henry an apology. He was many things, but he wasn't thick!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MAN1960: 6:14pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
According to the Nigerian parliament N1.2 Trillion was allocated to defence(including capital expenditure) that would equal around $2.8 billion

So this year Nigeria has 2.8 billion dollars to spend on recruitment, military infrastructure, arms purchase and recurrent expenditures AND WE ALREADY SPENT ABOUT 1 BILLION Dollars ON 12 ATTACK HELICOPTERS AND STILL ORDERED 2 SHIPS

Nigeria spend money on defense from two sources

1 Frome the national budget
2 from the executive covers( money giving to the president or to the executive arm of government to enable it carry out it's duties)

Go make some research and you see that the Nigerian armed forces always spends more than it's defense budget.

Thank you sir ( the only man that knows the defense budget of every country in the world) grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:39pm On Jun 14, 2022
kikuyu1:

Me? No, nigga!

I'm a logical person. In everything I do observe and apply logic. Fyi, 2 different substance abuse counsellors independently told me the same as I recently staged an intervention for a nephew -loooon story!
Applying logic, we'll see how the budget breaks
down per capita into acquisitions, pay, welfare, pension ,base construction & maintenance and other defence budget line items.

They must have extrabudgetary support. Hmmmm...I thought so. They've been getting 1.5 bn $ annually since 87 from the US to be spent strictly on their own platforms. Where do all their MI A1s, F 16s, Apaches, 130s and even E 2s come from?

GASSSPP!? Look at this:
[urlhttps://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210625-egyptian-army-controls-secret-funds-report-finds//url]

Makes sense when you see the secret armed forces account was worth almost 20 bn $ a decade ago.

These are the facts!

For your own sake outgrow this homotional attitude that makes you cry and throw things when confronted with reality. You're still young and it'll bite you in the arse as you screech, "Oyinbos, Chinese, Arabs are finishing me!"

Think:
- whose ordinary infantry guys are so well kitted Naijjans themselves ask if they're specops?
grin Stop screeching. That was a light hearted comment

Infact you still even talked about a nephew as I was expecting grin

Put your tampon on now

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:40pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
According to the Nigerian parliament N1.2 Trillion was allocated to defence(including capital expenditure) that would equal around $2.8 billion
How many times do we have to tell you we run Extra budgetary allocations over here?

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:44pm On Jun 14, 2022
kikuyu1:

GASSSPP!? Look at this:

These are the facts!

Think:
When did Nigeria's Armed Forces grow to 223k?

Where do you guys usually pull these numbers from? Wikipedia?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:

Unrelated to your back and forth with Kate

But what OPV is it nearly as big as? The P18Ns or the coming one from Dearsan
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:12pm On Jun 14, 2022
NAF A29 pilot

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:13pm On Jun 14, 2022
NAF MI17 pilots
Operation in the LC

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:13pm On Jun 14, 2022
Odunayaw:
Unrelated to your back and forth with Kate

But what OPV is it nearly as big as? The P18Ns or the coming one from Dearsan
the ones from Dearsan
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:14pm On Jun 14, 2022
Odunayaw:
How many times do we have to tell you we run Extra budgetary allocations over here?
... Yes as do all other countries
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:16pm On Jun 14, 2022
MAN1960:

So this year Nigeria has 2.8 billion dollars to spend on recruitment, military infrastructure, arms purchase and recurrent expenditures AND WE ALREADY SPENT ABOUT 1 BILLION Dollars ON 12 ATTACK HELICOPTERS AND STILL ORDERED 2 SHIPS

Nigeria spend money on defense from two sources

1 Frome the national budget
2 from the executive covers( money giving to the president or to the executive arm of government to enable it carry out it's duties)

Go make some research and you see that the Nigerian armed forces always spends more than it's defense budget.

Thank you sir ( the only man that knows the defense budget of every country in the world) grin grin grin
cool story bro
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:19pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

The Armscor announcement, to which SAS had not responded at the time of publication, ends a process that started in July 2014 when Armscor issued a tender for a new hydrographic platform for the Navy.
point being what exactly?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 7:21pm On Jun 14, 2022
kabe1:

To each his own, you asked for a source, and i provided.

You'll be delusional to believe South-Africa spends above Nigeria. At least in the past 4 years.
That is why they hate convert1 cheesy this southies always find a way to twist the truth when it against them grin

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2022
Odunayaw:
grin Stop screeching. That was a light hearted comment

Infact you still even talked about a nephew as I was expecting grin

Put your tampon on now
grin grin I have a cousin, nephew, uncle, granddad etc grin

Even jl5 is good at that cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Omofaye99: 7:43pm On Jun 14, 2022
Odunayaw:
When did Nigeria's Armed Forces grow to 223k?

Where do you guys usually pull these numbers from? Wikipedia?
You wonder grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Omofaye99: 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
Now answer the question. Does South Africa spend more than Nigeria in the past 4 years? cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NTSA: 7:59pm On Jun 14, 2022
The Kenya Sports Shooting Federation, in conjunction with the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) has organized a two-day shooting championship that will see about 100 countries participate.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NTSA: 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2022
NTSA:
The Kenya Sports Shooting Federation, in conjunction with the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) has organized a two-day shooting championship that will see about 100 countries participate.
Shaba Shooting range has 22 bays the event will have a mix of professional shooters and fun lovers as it will be open to the public..Handguns manufactured at Kenya’s Chalbi Industries in will be used

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:53pm On Jun 14, 2022
jl115:
Factor it into other countries then

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 12:02am On Jun 15, 2022
Covert1:

Classification varies in Navies. Performance relative between Corvette and OPV is subjective as the latter, permit me to say is more "sea friendly" for lack of a better word, more cost effective especially in peace time making it a darling of Navies. Here again I repeat its modular design makes it in Nigerian strategic Naval plans a "Light Frigate" or if you must a "Missile Vessel" (they are all vessels anyway) - nomenclature which varies is based mostly on speed, size, armaments, weapons systems & technology etc) primarily dedicated to Anti-Surface Warfare & Anti-Air Warfare.

As per current official NN Naval plans we haven't seen clear need for Corvettes rather OPVs, Frigates, LSTs, H-vessels & submarines.

The incoming new vessels is not the only new modular designed ship been ordered. Strategically military planners in Abuja plan for a hybrid warfare & decision advantages where Hard Assets can be game changing multiplier effects in critical performance areas hence as you would read in this purchase not all information about its systems are divulged both from manufacturer and the end user.

And I must state your intellectual aplomb is a welcome development on a platform with majority myopi.c, i.ll-mannere.d ignorant.s. I will never dignify i.llteracy rather eradicate it.

Covert1 does not respond to nonsens.e so I don't even see it. There are moniker.s I'm sworn never to read again and have never again so those writing nonsens.e humor me.

Please note: I repeat again, manufacturers produce to meet specific requirements of the customer and being weapons most guidance informations are kept under wraps because surprise is an element of warfare anyday.

Many of us have been in this thread long enough, and I thought some of us are actually learning something.

How many times have we been enlightened here that being modular doesn't automatically mean it can easily be outfitted with anti-ship missile in time for conflict?

The navy can't just wake up on morning and decide to outfit missiles on an unarmed OPV, the OPV in question will have to be fitted with the specific fire control system which in turn will be tied to an overall combat management system. which in turn will be connected to sensors, radars, sonars and then the weapons system for it to work.

All this must be done with the OEM consent and requires expertise assistance beyond regular shipbuilding. In naval ships, modularity does not equate plug and play. This has been said here many times than I count. When they say something is modular, it means it can adapt to different scenarios and can change it's mission set over time, it does not necessarily mean that it's easy to do or quick.

Secondly, to outfit a ship with anti-ship missiles even though modular would require sophisticated equipment which I doubt Nigeria possesses. Even if Nigeria has such, outfitting a ship would take at least six to eight months.

Just upgrading a ships hardware and software takes north of eight months. Most take at least a year. Judging from the USN annual deployment routine.

Dearsan OPV modular yes! fitted for but no missile acquired or paid for. One question, where would the navy get the missiles to fit the OPV from? Will they conjure them from thin air?

Now lastly, Even if a vessel is modular, you'll need to train the crew, technicians, and senior officers to outfit, man, and fire the missiles in time of war.

This requires specific training on missile firing process, guidance systems, and general warfare on the said vessel. Now it begs the question. Is Dearsan training Nigerians on how to man and FIRE missiles from the OPV?

The answer is likely NO.

In summary, to refit a modular vessel to fire missiles in time of crises will take upward of a year because you must first buy the missiles (with all the International bureaucracy involved), train the crew to man and fire the missile (at least 6 months) and the actual outfitting process. (at least 8 months)

By that time you'll have been thoroughly beaten by your opponent. A ship in maintenance or not in the fight at the start of war is as good as irrelevant. Ask the Ukrainian navy for their lesson notes.

Even the NN doesn't envision an aggressive role for the OPV as the naval admiral was clearly quoted “ The Admiral also emphasized the importance of these vessels to carry out maritime interdiction operations, surveillance and special forces operations as well as provide naval fire support to land forces, saying:

The OPVs will also be capable of conducting search and rescue operations, anti-piracy, anti-smuggling and anti-drug trafficking operations and disaster relief operations among others.”

Nowhere did he mention anti-ship or surface warfare operations.

Some time ago, some one mentioned that our Chinese OPVs has enough deck space for a VLS missile system between the bridge and the main 72 mm gun. I remember that person was schooled thoroughly here.

Tomorrow someone will say our Nigerian made seaward defence boats are modular therefore, they're light destroyers.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2557) (2558) (2559) (2560) (2561) (2562) (2563) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.