Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,723 members, 7,851,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:09 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2659) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6016747 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2656) (2657) (2658) (2659) (2660) (2661) (2662) ... (2850) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 11:11am On Sep 28, 2022
This week 77 yrs ago the first of the almost 60,000 US servicemen was KIA in Vietnam. Lt Col Peter Dewey was part of a 7 man OSS team,the CIA predecessor observing the post war French/Viet Minh situation and actually supported the latter. Jean-Fraude had been jailed by the Japanese army:after they surrendered he was eager to get back his colony and ofc Ho Chi Minh had other ideas.

It was during this time of chaos that Lt. Col. Peter Dewey, a U.S. Army officer with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in Vietnam, is shot and killed in Saigon. Dewey was the head of a seven-man team sent to Vietnam to search for missing American pilots and to gather information on the situation in the country after the surrender of the Japanese.
https://www.veteranstoday.com/2022/09/26/on-this-day-in-1945-the-first-u-s-soldier-is-killed-during-vietnams-august-revolution/

Imo,his death was very suspicious-he was in a jeep and his colleague didn't get a scratch?

In fact:
Some will be shocked to find out that the United States and Ho Chi Minh, our nemesis for much of the Vietnam War, were once allies. Indeed, during the last year of World War II, American spies in Indochina found themselves working closely with Ho Chi Minh and other anti-colonial factions—compelled by circumstances to fight together against the Japanese. Dixee Bartholomew-Feis reveals how this relationship emerged and operated and how it impacted Vietnam's struggle for independence.
https://kansaspress.ku.edu/978-0-7006-1652-7.html

What might have been?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 11:25am On Sep 28, 2022
jl115:
...my bru Boko Haram are raiding your bases left right and center...also MONUSCO is un led... So even if your argument was even remotely true its 100% irrelevant

which of the base did Boko haram raid
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 11:38am On Sep 28, 2022
jl115:
don't mind them my bru wink they have very low self-esteem....in fact locally they are called the self-esteem brigade cool

You are actually describing you bro, and you know that.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:39am On Sep 28, 2022
ItooWorWor:

which of the base did Boko haram raid
I would absolutely love to get into it but my bros asked nicely to let you muppets be wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:40am On Sep 28, 2022
ItooWorWor:

You are actually describing you bro, and you know that.
cool story bro wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 11:44am On Sep 28, 2022
jl115:
I would absolutely love to get into it but my bros asked nicely to let you muppets be wink

And that defines self esteem

Akuco grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ItooWorWor(m): 11:47am On Sep 28, 2022
Fourpockets:

Why are you so hostile towards my comments cry
I meant it's only one or two that they operate in, am I wrong for saying that?

No one is hostile to your comment bro you are the one dishing out BS.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fourpockets: 12:22pm On Sep 28, 2022
ItooWorWor:

No one is hostile to your comment bro you are the one dishing out BS.
Ok, I'll just stick to reading for now then
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2022
Sherq Engineering setting its sights on turrets

A Pretoria based engineering firm is designing and producing custom built turrets for customers as far afield as Azerbaijan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the UAE as well as numerous African countries.

Sherq, which is based in Pretoria but has decentralised manufacturing operations with its partners across the world, has been in operation for the last seven years. It has designed turrets that are uniquely South African in IP, but totally platform and weapons systems agnostic.

“We pride ourselves on working very closely with our customers,” explained technical director Rolf Dieterich, “we have developed unique features on our turrets that we can customise to their specifications or put into production immediately if they are standard.”

Three of the turrets were on display at Africa Aerospace and Defence 2022 last week. The KS1 is the basic gunner protection turret capable of being scaled up in size and ballistic protection to mount anything from a 5.56 mm weapon all the way to the much heavier .50 calibre machine gun or Russian KPVT 14.5 x 114 mm.

Then there is the KS2 one-man turret, which can handle 5.56 mm all the way to the 30 x 133 mm cannon as used on the Apache attack helicopter or mount the Russian 14.5 x 114 mm, while maintaining 200 rounds per minute in controlled fire.

The KS3 is a low profile turret with a very high rate of fire, carrying 500 rounds for the main weapon and 1 000 rounds for the co-axial machine gun, while the KS4 is a low profile, fully electric, stabilised high tech turret that is a rival for the current turret being produced for the SANDF’s long overdue Project Hoefyster IFV fleet replenishment project.

“We have learnt a lot in the development of these turrets that goes much further the engineering of them,” Dieterich told defenceWeb. “We have developed unique building blocks which have allowed us in many cases to actually improve the weapons systems that are mounted in them, adding features to them that they were not designed with and extending their life of service because our firing platforms are much smoother and gentler.”

Some of Sherq’s building blocks include improving muzzle breaks and buffering to allow for the KS3 and the advanced KS4 turret to be fully stabilised, meaning that the accuracy of the main weapon and its rate of fire is unaffected by the behaviour of the vehicle, which in turn does not need to slow down or come to a complete stop for effective accurate fire to be laid down.

The turrets are electric with manual back-ups should the electric circuity become disabled in combat situations. They can also be fitted with a wide range of options should the customer desire them, from the entire range of external sensors from thermal cameras to laser pointers and blue force trackers to automatic grenade launchers.

Sherq’s hallmark innovation and agility was necessitated by the nature of the market, said Dieterich. Most defence procurement deals are government to government negotiations, but increasingly there is a need not to be behlden to a single supplier in an ever changing and increasingly contested geo-political situation.

“Our business model throughout has been to foster a close working relationship with the customer. We support them to empower themselves to take charge of the product. We want to partner with them for years to come, not just chase on a once off deal.”

Just as the turrets can be fitted to carry western or eastern European systems and fitted to either kind of hull, so too is the pricing highly adjustable – and the level of localisation.

“We can make the turrets anywhere in the world, we comply with whatever level of localisation they want and we can either design a custom solution for them or go straight into production the very next day if it is something we designed.

“To make sure the client is absolutely certain of what they want, we give them the turret and the weapon system to test themselves and then we start modifying from there.”

The KS4 is a case in point, as there three different versions in Azerbaijan, Italy, the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/sherq-engineering-setting-its-sights-on-turrets/

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 3:36pm On Sep 28, 2022
Fourpockets:

Ok, I'll just stick to reading for now then
Yh, boko have basically been neutralised but keep your comments coming. I like your inputs too; we learn from corrections.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:16pm On Sep 28, 2022
Nigerian Air Force JF-17 Aircrafts

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 9:43pm On Sep 28, 2022
O/T BUT A NECESSARY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
Over the years I've noticed a definite universal tendency among the under 40s that increases with the youth. A propensity to ishyttalk thanks to NEVER being checked even once. Imo, it's a direct outgrowth of cyber anonymity: you can not only pose as an expert on forums but escape consequences of a beat down as you verbally assault others.
IRL there are very very real immediate consequences. 3 people died in less than 3 mns in this video cause a guy and his wife committed the cardinal sin of the 11th commandment; they didn't know who they were fkn with!?
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9pd8zfQcs]

At 2.02 as the first shots ring out getting the husband the byatch is STILL talking ishyt!

He screams "call the cops!", abandoning his wife who takes 2 rounds at contact range to the face but survives.

The shooter returns from his house where he maybe reloaded or got even more heat at 3.15 and before sending the harridan to hell with another double tap to the face says " you should have kept your fkn mouth shut!"

He'd recently lost his wife and killed himself soon after. I know you've all been told to avoid urban Black America but this is Pennsylvania,goddammit!?

Stand your ground by all means but don't instigate useless f'ery. These are just a few incidents of bloodletting induced by verbal f'tardation I've witnesses. A pal of mine once put a fork in someone's face after several jokes about his weight in a DC apartment in 92.
In 2000 an acquaintance died from a single punch to the head after accusing someone of murder. Post mortem showed his brain shifted when his head slammed into the wall causing instant massive brain damage.
7 yrs later a guy I know shot another dude in the leg during a Nairobi nightclub altercation.
Learn to avoid aholes and their arseholia.

Rmbr the first lines of the Desiderata.
Carry on!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by IGpro1(m): 10:01pm On Sep 28, 2022
Fourpockets:

Why are you so hostile towards my comments cry
I meant it's only one or two that they operate in, am I wrong for saying that?
my G, operate and occupy are two different words, very different in this contest.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:07pm On Sep 28, 2022
Nigeria is preparing for a big Independence Anniversary parade on the 1st of October.

1 of 2 NAF Cessna CJ3 (NAF956) was spotted on FR24 making the trip to Abuja.

The list of aircrafts likely to participate in the Oct 1st Independence Day celebrations continues to grow.

Cc: Jake

Army Paratroopers also seen practicing jumps.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2022
kabe1:
Nigeria is preparing for a big Independence Anniversary parade on the 1st of October.

1 of 2 NAF Cessna CJ3 (NAF956) was spotted on FR24 making the trip to Abuja.

The list of aircrafts likely to participate in the Oct 1st Independence Day celebrations continues to grow.

Cc: Jake

Army Paratroopers also seen practicing jumps.
Can't wait cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fourpockets: 10:17pm On Sep 28, 2022
IGpro1:
my G, operate and occupy are two different words, very different in this contest.
I should have worded it better

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:29pm On Sep 28, 2022
davefurn:

Can't wait cool

It's going to be a big parade from all indications.

We deserve to see a big military parade in Nigeria, especially with the fact that the military has been retooled, re-gigged and re-energized.

The improvement of security especially in the North East is something to worth celebrating also. Irrespective of the challenges that still persists, no government since the dawn of democracy has procured more hardware and made more concerted effort to arm the Nigerian military as this government has done.

I just hope we get to see new land systems, especially Tanks, IFVs and Artillery.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 11:46pm On Sep 28, 2022
kabe1:

It's going to be a big parade from all indications.

We deserve to see a big military parade in Nigeria, especially with the fact that the military has been retooled, re-gigged and re-energized.

The improvement of security especially in the North East is something to worth celebrating also. Irrespective of the challenges that still persists, no government since the dawn of democracy has procured more hardware and made more concerted effort to arm the Nigerian military as this government has done.

I just hope we get to see new land systems, especially Tanks, IFVs and Artillery.
You stated facts bro, a nice parade will go a long way to build confidence and excitement. Set a standard for the next elected president to surpass
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by QuietMynd: 1:58am On Sep 29, 2022
kikuyu1:
O/T BUT A NECESSARY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
Over the years I've noticed a definite universal tendency among the under 40s that increases with the youth. A propensity to ishyttalk thanks to NEVER being checked even once. Imo, it's a direct outgrowth of cyber anonymity: you can not only pose as an expert on forums but escape consequences of a beat down as you verbally assault others.
IRL there are very very real immediate consequences. 3 people died in less than 3 mns in this video cause a guy and his wife committed the cardinal sin of the 11th commandment; they didn't know who they were fkn with!?
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9pd8zfQcs]

At 2.02 as the first shots ring out getting the husband the byatch is STILL talking ishyt!

He screams "call the cops!", abandoning his wife who takes 2 rounds at contact range to the face but survives.

The shooter returns from his house where he maybe reloaded or got even more heat at 3.15 and before sending the harridan to hell with another double tap to the face says " you should have kept your fkn mouth shut!"

He'd recently lost his wife and killed himself soon after. I know you've all been told to avoid urban Black America but this is Pennsylvania,goddammit!?

Stand your ground by all means but don't instigate useless f'ery. These are just a few incidents of bloodletting induced by verbal f'tardation I've witnesses. A pal of mine once put a fork in someone's face after several jokes about his weight in a DC apartment in 92.
In 2000 an acquaintance died from a single punch to the head after accusing someone of murder. Post mortem showed his brain shifted when his head slammed into the wall causing instant massive brain damage.
7 yrs later a guy I know shot another dude in the leg during a Nairobi nightclub altercation.
Learn to avoid aholes and their arseholia.

Rmbr the first lines of the Desiderata.
Carry on!
The second 2 shot to the woman head missed tho, if not it will have put her to sleep instantly.
But wat of people that get killed for looking at someone the wrong way.
America is like Russian roulette, so unpredictable.
And not all murder victim get into an argument with someone. Death is just walking all over America.
Anyone can be a victim.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:22am On Sep 29, 2022
Rooivalk pilot at AAD2022: "I can do anything the jetties do."
grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:22am On Sep 29, 2022
Nigeria air force Pilot

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:30am On Sep 29, 2022
Nigerian Air Force upgraded L-39s preparing for parade.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:49am On Sep 29, 2022
Hensoldt launches new EO system, laser range finders

Hensoldt South Africa launched a new light-weight electro optical system and laser range finders for use on small unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) platforms at the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) exhibition.

The Argos-8 is an 8-inch-class electro-optical system weighing less than 6 kg. It offers day and night capabilities for intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance (ISTAR) missions.

The MP10-1 laser range finder can fit into the palm of a hand and can be mounted on light weight UAVs or used with multi-sensor land-based imaging systems.

The Argos-8 airborne surveillance and targeting system was jointly developed with Estonian company Threod Systems, which focuses on UAV systems. Hensoldt and Threod have a development and co-production agreement for the Argos-8.

The MP10-1 laser range finder can be used for targets up to 15 kilometres away, with an accuracy better than a metre. It is a self-contained unit consisting of laser transmitter, laser receiver and power and control electronics needed to operate the laser range finger. Hensoldt plans to begin production in South Africa in the first quarter of next year.

For shorter ranging requirements and mounting in a smaller space, Hensoldt unveiled the NP1 laser range finder on the first day of AAD 2022 (21 September). It can reach a vehicle size target over three kilometres away (maximym range is up to 6 km). Production of the NP1 for international customers began in South Africa a few months ago.

ASTUS UAV

These electro optical systems and laser range finders can be integrated into Hensoldt’s ASTUs unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). ASTUS has an endurance of eight hours and is certified to fly up to 16 000 feet.

The UAV is designed to meet the requirements of African and other countries that lack budgets for high-end solutions. The ASTUS UAV is the result of the capability Hensoldt obtained from the purchase of local defence company, Tellumat.

Hensoldt South Africa is the German defence company’s largest industrial footprint outside its home country. It produces solutions for electronic warfare and optronics, spectrum monitoring and security solutions, including radar, identification friend or foe and datalinks.

Hensoldt South Africa developed a wide range of products over the years. Its location in South Africa means local products are not subject to US and European export regulations.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/hensoldt-launches-new-eo-system-laser-range-finders/

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:56am On Sep 29, 2022
Aselsan and Denel cooperating on MEROPS gimbal

On the Turkish Pavilion at Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) 2022 Aselsan is showing its ‘MEROPS’ next generation air surveillance and targeting gimbal sight. The MEROPS (Multi-spectral Extended Range Optical Sight) system was displayed for the first time in June at the Eurosatory exhibition in Paris, France.

Aselsan Chairman, President and CEO, Haluk Görgün witnessed the live demonstration at Air Force Base Waterkloof of the MEROPS system designed and developed entirely by the company’s Aselsan South Africa (ASA) branch. It is intended for large-scale series production in Turkey for both the Turkish Armed Forces and export customers around the world.

The South African branch supports the Turkey based company with design and development services. “We aim to establish long-term relationships and local partnerships here,” ASA general manager Sencer Sahin stated. “To date our design facility has provided advanced camera systems to Denel’s OTR test range and other local customers, including the Institute of Maritime Technology, Paramount Technologies, and Reutech Radar Systems.”

This is testimony to the company’s aim to continue its active role in establishing strategic partnerships with local entities for both South Africa’s and third-country requirements in the African region.

The MEROPS system is the latest product in the family of reconnaissance and surveillance systems from Aselsan.

South Africa’s state-owned Denel Group and Aselsan reached an agreement this week at AAD 2022 to work towards integration of the MEROPS system on Denel’s flagship aerospace systems, the Rooivalk attack helicopter and possibly on the Seeker 400 drone. A MEROPS gimbal is being displayed alongside the Rooivalk in the static area.

Aselsan SA is a wholly owned branch of Ankara headquartered Aselsan Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret AS, a global defence and advanced electronics company established more than 50 years ago. The local branch, staffed with a pool of highly trained and experienced South African engineers and technicians, serves as a centre of excellence for the mother company in Turkey.

Thanks to its significant investment in ASA since 2011, the branch not only provides design and development, but also acts as the hub for Aselsan’s business development strategy in markets in sub-Saharan Africa and the establishment of long-term relationships.

The MEROPS system was specifically designed for extreme combat situations, particularly in low light and the difficult light encountered at dawn and dusk. Among the roles envisaged for MEROPS are medium to long range observation and reconnaissance, pointing, area illumination and target designation at medium altitude.

The sight incorporates the latest in image processing technologies, including traditional image enhancement, as well as the latest in machine vision and AI based algorithms. Its mission enhancement capabilities include moving target identification, isotherms, false colour identification and threat identification.

The MEROPS is a self-contained single LRU (line-replacement unit) with quick-release connections. Payloads can be exchanged without calibration. Electronic bore-sighting is done before a mission, and it boasts an embedded web server for setup, control, and maintenance. According to Kobus Coetzee, ASA’s Engineering Manager, the MEROPS is easy to maintain.

Its next-generation software functionality includes multi-target auto-tracking with target re-acquisition, artificial intelligence (AI) threat detection classification and background automatic see-spot detection. The MEROPS operates at temperatures from -40°C to 70°C.

Aselsan as a global company operates in a wide range of disciplines, from communication and information technologies (ICT), micro-electronics, guidance and electro-optics to radar, electronic warfare, and defence systems technologies. It is also active in transportation, security, energy, and automation systems.

AAD 2022 is giving the company the opportunity to show a wide range of systems in South Africa. Among the field proven solutions are military and professional radios, the KALKAN mobile medium altitude 3D air defence radar, ALKAR 120 mm mortar weapon system, border security solutions, laser guidance kit, the FOPRAD foliage penetration radar, electro-optic solutions, and anti-drone RF jammer system.

Earlier this year, Aselsan South Africa revealed a range of its life support and medical imaging solutions. Whilst these innovative products were designed primarily for use in healthcare facilities in the commercial and civil environments, they would be equally useful in the military field.

The company’s personnel now total over 7 000 with a high proportion of these being engineers and technicians. It invests substantially in R&grin, allocating more than 7% of its annual revenue towards these activities.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/aselsan-and-denel-cooperating-on-merops-gimbal/

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:59am On Sep 29, 2022
Avior Labs unveils new VTOL UAV

Centurion-based unmanned aerial system designer Avior Labs unveiled a prototype of its new Elevation VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle).

Elevation is a versatile, multi-role VTOL fixed-wing drone allowing for optimal utilisation and reduced fleet requirements, the company said. Fully electric with 90 minutes useful flight time in standard configuration, it is well suited for surveying areas of land parcels of larger than 200 ha as typically found in sub-Saharan Africa. At these larger areas the endurance of a VTOL drone is increasingly beneficial.

With a 2.54 metre wingspan, the drone is typical quadcopter configuration for a VTOL design, unusually using a novel single pitching motor (tilting propeller) on the nose for flight efficiency, creating a low noise footprint.

“The reduced noise of a single tractor configuration is a big plus, especially in some conservation applications, but there is also significant performance advantage in terms of endurance for given battery capacity,” Dr Bennie Broughton, Managing Director of Avior Labs said.

The maximum take-off weight is 4.6 kg, allowing a payload of up to 750 g while meeting all applicable safety standards for legal operations.

Outer wings are detachable for transport and ease of assembly, allowing the drone to be packaged in a convenient box that fits in the boot of a car.

Multiple payload options are available, such as the Basler Ace Visual HD camera, FLIR Vue Pro thermal camera, MicaSense RedEdge multispectral camera, a SONY RXR II digital camera and the Basler Ace and FLIR Vue Pro combination.

Avior Labs said typical applications include the mining, energy, construction, agriculture and conservation industries.

Established in 2019, Avior Labs specialises in development and manufacture of efficient commercial unmanned aerial vehicles, associated technologies and software.

The company has designed and built aerial vehicles to develop and validate technologies, these have also been used in support of computational modelling on behalf of its clients. Elevation is the first drone designed by Avior Labs for commercial drone operators and service providers.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/avior-labs-unveils-new-vtol-uav/

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:01am On Sep 29, 2022
Paramount launches Maatla light vehicle

Paramount Group subsidiary Paramount Land Systems is for the first time unveiling its new Maatla 4×4 Light Protected Vehicle (LPV), which is aimed at the rapidly growing lightweight and more affordable segment of the armoured vehicle market.

The Maatla (meaning Power in Setswana) has already received orders for 50 vehicles from two customers, Paramount said.

“The latest addition to Paramount’s family of protected vehicles is already in production for an African country with one of the most challenging, rugged and remote environments for land forces to operate in,” the company stated.

Eric Ichikowitz, Senior Vice President, Paramount International, stated: “Our customers can now take full advantage of three decades of armoured vehicle innovation, engineering excellence and market leadership, but in a lighter class vehicle designed in response to changing customer requirements. We are very excited to offer border patrol, gendarmerie, police units and armed forces in Africa and around the world with best-in-class technologies and capability. The vehicle’s lighter weight and commercial components ultimately enables greater customer affordability and faster production rates.”

The Maatla has been manufactured on a commercial vehicle chassis for proven reliability and low cost. It features “Smart Floor” technology, enabling the seating to be quickly removed and the vehicle to be configured as either an ambulance, command vehicle or customisable for other mission requirements, such as border patrol, military support, policing, or peacekeeping missions. Day/night vision devices and extra sensors can also be fitted to provide 24/7 operability.

The Maatla provides ballistic and blast protections to STANAG 4569 Level 1, and can protect against handguns and other small calibre ball rounds. It also provides underbelly protection against M26 hand grenades or a blast equivalent.

Mobility and agility

The Maatla can reach a road speed of up to 100 km/h, with a cruising range of up to 600 km when traveling at 80 km/h, and a fording depth of up to 750 mm without preparation. The vehicle is fitted with a 2-speed transfer case and 3 differential locks for difficult terrain. The vehicle can be operated in environments with temperatures ranging from -10°C to + 55°C.

Deon Grobler, CEO of Paramount Land Systems, stated that, “We are very excited to diversify our product range, compete in this new class of Light Protected Vehicles, and introduce customers with these requirements into our world beating family of protected vehicles. The Maatla is a light armour, multi-purpose vehicle, offering excellent cross-country performance and reliability. Designed to handle a two-tonne payload, the Maatla offers near infinite-configurability in terms of onboarding mission specific equipment, weapons, and armour scalability.”

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/paramount-launches-maatla-light-vehicle/

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 8:13am On Sep 29, 2022
Lurker4Long:
Paramount launches Maatla light vehicle

Paramount Group subsidiary Paramount Land Systems is for the first time unveiling its new Maatla 4×4 Light Protected Vehicle (LPV), which is aimed at the rapidly growing lightweight and more affordable segment of the armoured vehicle market.

The Maatla (meaning Power in Setswana) has already received orders for 50 vehicles from two customers, Paramount said.

“The latest addition to Paramount’s family of protected vehicles is already in production for an African country with one of the most challenging, rugged and remote environments for land forces to operate in,” the company stated.

Eric Ichikowitz, Senior Vice President, Paramount International, stated: “Our customers can now take full advantage of three decades of armoured vehicle innovation, engineering excellence and market leadership, but in a lighter class vehicle designed in response to changing customer requirements. We are very excited to offer border patrol, gendarmerie, police units and armed forces in Africa and around the world with best-in-class technologies and capability. The vehicle’s lighter weight and commercial components ultimately enables greater customer affordability and faster production rates.”

The Maatla has been manufactured on a commercial vehicle chassis for proven reliability and low cost. It features “Smart Floor” technology, enabling the seating to be quickly removed and the vehicle to be configured as either an ambulance, command vehicle or customisable for other mission requirements, such as border patrol, military support, policing, or peacekeeping missions. Day/night vision devices and extra sensors can also be fitted to provide 24/7 operability.

The Maatla provides ballistic and blast protections to STANAG 4569 Level 1, and can protect against handguns and other small calibre ball rounds. It also provides underbelly protection against M26 hand grenades or a blast equivalent.

Mobility and agility

The Maatla can reach a road speed of up to 100 km/h, with a cruising range of up to 600 km when traveling at 80 km/h, and a fording depth of up to 750 mm without preparation. The vehicle is fitted with a 2-speed transfer case and 3 differential locks for difficult terrain. The vehicle can be operated in environments with temperatures ranging from -10°C to + 55°C.

Deon Grobler, CEO of Paramount Land Systems, stated that, “We are very excited to diversify our product range, compete in this new class of Light Protected Vehicles, and introduce customers with these requirements into our world beating family of protected vehicles. The Maatla is a light armour, multi-purpose vehicle, offering excellent cross-country performance and reliability. Designed to handle a two-tonne payload, the Maatla offers near infinite-configurability in terms of onboarding mission specific equipment, weapons, and armour scalability.”

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/paramount-launches-maatla-light-vehicle/
Kudos mehn, that's a lot.... Southies are really innovative

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:17am On Sep 29, 2022
Evotex turrets emerge from the shadows

Although having supplied numerous South African defence companies with design and manufacturing solutions in the weapons systems area for many years, Pretoria-based Evotex is a first-time exhibitor at the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) 2022 exhibition this week.

On display at Air Force Base (AFB) Waterkloof is the company’s flagship Thebe (‘Spear’) dual-axis gyro-stabilised remote controlled weapon station. According to Gert Rossouw, chief executive, Thebe can be fired from land vehicles or patrol boats on static or mobile platforms.

“The recoil mitigating cradle can be configured to fit a range of weapons, such as 12.7 mm BMG and 14.5 mm KPV, and we have even fitted a 30 mm machine gun,” he explained. “The cradle also features a mounting mechanism to enhance accuracy and to allow for quick change of weapons.”

He said the weapon, with a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute, can be operated for single or automatic firing, with an auto-tracking system ensuring high hit probabilities. It has an electric trigger and cocking mechanism.

The compact turret weighs 175 kg, which makes well suited for even a fairly light vehicle or boat platform. It traverses through 360°, with elevation from -20° to +55°.

Grenade launcher solution

Also on display is the Vikela, a 40 mm multi-barrel grenade launcher system designated RMB-40. Like the Thebe system, it is a dual-axis remote control weapon. The Vikela system at AAD 2022 is the six-shot variant, with Evotex also offering it in a three-shot variant. The RMB-40 can fire low, medium and high velocity rounds, as well as less lethal grenades and is designed to fire single shots or bursts.

Grenades are chambered into the barrel and can be reloaded in seconds.

Evotex offers an optical payload and sensor pack for its weapon systems configured to client requirements. In the case of the RMB-40, the optical pack operates independently from the turret due to the higher launch angle required for grenades. While the Vikela system can be fired from land vehicles and patrol boats, it is also suitable for mounting on a drone.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:21am On Sep 29, 2022
Also from Evotex Engineering...

66-EGL

The 66mm EGL is a grenade launcher designed and developed for the British MOD (special forces). The product was developed from design brief into production units.

The EGL66 enable a soldier to fire the range of electrically primed 66mm grenades from the shoulder. These grenades are typically fired from a vehicle mount, making the 66-EGL a unique infantry weapon.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 8:26am On Sep 29, 2022

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 8:40am On Sep 29, 2022
Tinfoil:
Tank v Tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWK1pUP17Ws

Wow..... shocked
That was a close call !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:06am On Sep 29, 2022
SVI unveils six-wheeled Max 3

SVI Engineering has unveiled a new addition to its growing range of armour-protected vehicles, the MAX 3 six-wheel vehicle.

Displayed for the first time at AAD 2022 at Air Force Base (AFB) Waterkloof this week, the MAX 3 six-wheeler is based on Toyota’s proven Land Cruiser 79 chassis, as with the 4×4 MAX 3. Both are powered by a 4.5-litre V8 turbodiesel powertrain.

The six-wheel concept unveiled at AAD 2022 is based on the MAX 3 double cab body style, with the new axle configuration also available on the company’s MAX 3 single cab and MAX 3 troopy armoured personnel carrier.

The addition of a third axle means MAX 3’s Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) can be safely increased to 5 500 kg, opening the door to military and security applications, including the fitment of various weapon systems, cargo carrying options and even field ambulance concepts. Although the drivetrain is standard, the MAX 3 gains wheels and tyres with an improved load rating as well as upgraded suspension and an additional rear anti-roll bar.

To keep cost and complexity of the system in check, the additional axle is non-driven. “Even so, the already impressive go-anywhere ability of the standard vehicle is enhanced as the extra axle provides increased flotation over soft surfaces. The proven, highly capable powertrain remains untouched, simplifying servicing requirements and sourcing of spare mechanical parts,” SVI said.

The six-wheel modification includes a track width correction to align the track of the rear wheels with that of the front (a Land Cruiser 79 anomaly) as well as an upgrade to disc brakes on the twoback axles (in addition to the standard items at the front) to improve the stopping performance at full GVM.

Counter-drone solution

The six-wheeler version of the MAX 3 double cab at AAD 2022 is fitted with a counter-drone solution offered by SVI and manufactured by Reutech. This employs radar to locate, identify and track hostile incoming drones. Information is relayed to the battle management system (BMS) connected to an automated grenade launcher (AGL). The BMS determines trajectory and distance to the drone, intercepting and disabling the pilotless device via close-proximity grenade explosions. The vehicle at AAD also has an off-road motorcycle for personnel to speedy retrieval of evidence from downed drones.

SVI explained the conversion process to create a MAX 3 entails removing the soft-skin body of the donor Land Cruiser 79 and replacing it with a hull designed in-house and manufactured from armoured steel plate. The construction of the multi-role vehicle provides a minimum protection level of EN1063 BR6 (assault rifles) with additional protection against anti-personnel grenades. The vehicle is furthermore upgradeable to BR7.

SVI has a prominent display at AAD 2022, and Benny Jiyane, Chairman of SVI Engineering, said the sheer size of the company’s stand at this year’s show is indicative of how SVI has grown – locally and internationally – over the past few years.

“SVI has long been the leading the way in South Africa when it comes to providing class-leading armouring solutions to the civilian, security and military industries. We’ve ramped up operations significantly over the past few years and our massive stand at AAD2022 – the largest defence and aviation exhibition in Africa – is a showcase of how far we’ve come and where we’re going.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSP8xPyfeCQ

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2656) (2657) (2658) (2659) (2660) (2661) (2662) ... (2850) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.