Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,382 members, 7,853,697 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:54 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2772) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6020251 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2769) (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) ... (2851) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 8:23pm On Mar 08, 2023
QuietMynd:

If someone snap the background alone and caption it south african, I will surely argue blindly.

Believe it or not, my great-grandfather (on my mother's side) lived in this place... back in the 90s we would visit as kids. It has a very strong Mozambican influence. Ethnically, Swazi, Thonga (Tsonga) and the Zulu populations overlap and have intermarried each other.

..and yes, those fish traps (kraals) are legit, as kids we never ventured close to them as they also have a tendency of trapping Zambezi sharks.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 8:37pm On Mar 08, 2023
Lurker4Long:
Ghana’s police get Marauder APCs, helicopters

The Ghana Police Service has taken delivery of a vast quantity of new equipment, including Marauder armoured personnel carriers, and helicopters.

It seems like there's a market for helicopters with rockets in Africa. I'm starting to think the Rooivalk was an overkill, maybe engineered for the Cold War. Maybe we should start looking into cheaper solutions for external deployment.

I like what they did with the Kudu back in the 80s... they were on the right track..

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:41pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:

Actually, you have a point... I mean a Casspir (or Mfezi) is a huge target to miss with an RPG should the main convoy get itself ambushed, even an amateur militia could take out a minimum of 2 Casspirs in this convoy... so yep, a pair of our "GE Techs" should be deployed on a 5-15km ahead scout mission as suggested.
A recon section is 12 pax in 2 Mambas, though in Moz it is rumoured they sometimes add a Casspir from which their tactical gizmos are controlled, with a 20mm for additional dakka. An interesting fact I just picked up in an old manual from Angolan ops: optimally, normal distance between recon section and the rest of the company on patrol is usually 10km; if the terrain is difficult, this is shortened to 5km to enable quicker response for backup if caught in an ambush; if terrain is permissible, this is stretched out to 15km.

So, our 30mm with the recon section 5-15km ahead; and the 90mm with the main body of the convoy.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:53pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:

Believe it or not, my great-grandfather (on my mother's side) lived in this place... back in the 90s we would visit as kids. It has a very strong Mozambican influence. Ethnically, Swazi, Thonga (Tsonga) and the Zulu populations overlap and have intermarried each other.

..and yes, those fish traps (kraals) are legit, as kids we never ventured close to them as they also have a tendency of trapping Zambezi sharks.

I was about to mention the traditional fish traps, which are the only allowed method of fishing all along that Kosi Bay UNESCO World Heritage Site. Stupendously beautiful piece of earth.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2023
Lurker4Long:

A recon section is 12 pax in 2 Mambas, though in Moz it is rumoured they sometimes add a Casspir from which their tactical gizmos are controlled, with a 20mm for additional dakka. An interesting fact I just picked up in an old manual from Angolan ops: optimally, normal distance between recon section and the rest of the company on patrol is usually 10km; if the terrain is difficult, this is shortened to 5km to enable quicker response for backup if caught in an ambush; if terrain is permissible, this is stretched out to 15km.

So, our 30mm with the recon section 5-15km ahead; and the 90mm with the main body of the convoy.

I know a dude who wanted to join the military, but only got discouraged by the salary .... he's the guy who wrote the above grin

But don't you think a 90mm shell will make a logistical nightmare.. I mean, you already have:

- 5.56×45mm NATO
- 7.62x51mm NATO (R1 and SS 77)
- 7.62 x 39mm (AK47 for the SF)
- 7.62×54mmR (KPM for the SF)
- 12.7×99mm NATO (for the Hornet and Casspirs)

I think planners and generals would avoid having such a large shell with foreign deployment, a mortar attack hitting the 90mm storeroom would set the whole base on explosive fire.

(Ukrain ammo storage exploding)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:31pm On Mar 08, 2023
Lurker4Long:

I was about to mention the traditional fish traps, which are the only allowed method of fishing all along that Kosi Bay UNESCO World Heritage Site. Stupendously beautiful piece of earth.

2 of my uncles learnt to set them up and maintained them, grandma sent them to stay there in the 80s...One of the uncles would later join the SADF, then transferred to a paramilitary security company guiding the Kriel Power station from ANC sabotage infiltration.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:44pm On Mar 08, 2023
....to add: He (the uncle) always told us interesting stories about his deployment, including deployment in Angola and how he was they were never told about the Bush War, the SADF authorities would always say they were on foreign "border patrol" and never told it was actually an ongoing war... He never actually faced combat.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 9:56pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:
I wonder who is funding ISIS Mozas.. I would like to read some conspiracy theories at this point and filter out the most plausible ones (and kill my last brain cells while at it).. That's the part where I miss some Kikuyi1 deep philosophy smiley
Funded by J/Uke and the Zionist Saudis grin

Really miss that dude.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:06pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:

I know a dude who wanted to join the military, but only got discouraged by the salary .... he's the guy who wrote the above grin

But don't you think a 90mm shell will make a logistical nightmare.. I mean, you already have:

- 5.56×45mm NATO
- 7.62x51mm NATO (R1 and SS 77)
- 7.62 x 39mm (AK47 for the SF)
- 7.62×54mmR (KPM for the SF)
- 12.7×99mm NATO (for the Hornet and Casspirs)

I think planners and generals would avoid having such a large shell with foreign deployment, a mortar attack hitting the 90mm storeroom would set the whole base on explosive fire.

(Ukraina ammo storage exploding)

grin grin grin I heard that guy was keen on the airforce when they came to his university, but his eyes let him down. grin grin grin
You forgot the 20mm for the SF Hornets and Casspirs; 35mm anti-air for drone defence around the main Mihluri Base in Macomia; 40mm grenades for MGL and AGL; and our beloved 60mm, 81mm and 120mm mortar bombs (what's a Saffer deployment without mortars?).
Already, so many things things to go boom. But we maintain a 15km cordon sanitaire radius around Mihluri Base, meaning many things would have to go catastrophically pear-shaped for that battalion HQ to come under fire. And remember, unlike Bangui, we chose the area and built the base from scratch, with a maximalist approach towards defence. So storing 90mm shells does not significantly alter the risk profile.

And as Patches used to say, one can never have too much dakka dakka!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:06pm On Mar 08, 2023
Faithful007:

Really miss that dude.

I would feel my brain cells exploding when reading the conspiracies.. grin

With Mozambican ISIS, he would probably say: It's funded by Zionists via the Saudis so that Kagame would deploy his troops in Moza to undermine both Tanzania and South Africa in SADC. Then go on to post pictures from the dark parts of the internet as proof... to be honest, I was always outmatched, I was never ready for his responses on any given day.

Damn, he lived in his own world grin

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:08pm On Mar 08, 2023
Faithful007:

Really miss that dude.
Don't forget the Tutsi Supremacists!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:14pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:

With Mozambican ISIS, he would probably say: It's funded by Zionists via the Saudis so that Kagame would deploy his troops in Moza to undermine both Tanzania and South Africa in SADC. Then go on to post pictures from the dark parts of the internet as proof... to be honest, I was always outmatched, I was never ready for his responses on any given day.

He wasn't wrong about Kagame's megalomania though. I would part ways with him when he went all primitive/tribalist and ascribed to it some grand Tutsi conspiracy spanning east and some parts of southern Africa.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:16pm On Mar 08, 2023
Lurker4Long:

grin grin grin I heard that guy was keen on the airforce when they came to his university, but his eyes let him down. grin grin grin
You forgot the 20mm for the SF Hornets and Casspirs; 35mm anti-air for drone defence around the main Mihluri Base in Macomia; 40mm grenades for MGL and AGL; and our beloved 60mm, 81mm and 120mm mortar bombs (what's a Saffer deployment without mortars?).
Already, so many things things to go boom. But we maintain a 15km cordon sanitaire radius around Mihluri so many things would have to go catastrophically pear-shaped for that battalion HQ to come under fire. And remember, unlike Bangui, we chose the area and built the base from scratch, with a maximalist approach towards defence. So storing 90mm shells does not significantly alter the risk profile.

And as Patches used to say, one can never have too much dakka dakka!

Damn, how do I forget the mortar shells, that's our bread and butter... in fact when I was reading the M23 article you posted, I was like "oh so now the Rwanda-M23 has seen how effective mortar is and now they are trying to copy the legends of the game".

of course, you can never have too much dakka-dakka... even Micheal Bay figured he should bring in some South African dakka-dakka to kill to kill some Transformers grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:35pm On Mar 08, 2023
GreenandGold:

Damn, how do I forget the mortar shells, that's our bread and butter... in fact when I was reading the M23 article you posted, I was like "oh so now the Rwanda-M23 has seen how effective mortar is and now they are trying to copy the legends of the game".

According to someone who was there during FIB1 in 2013, when Rwanda DF crossed the border to re-supply M23 at night, it was SF small teams behind the lines that called in mortar fire and obliterated them. Incriminating evidence was collected on the scene and this resulted in that famous week when M23 calls to Kigali went unanswered and Rooivalke did their thing.
Alas, the remnants made it across to Rwanda, were not imprisoned as happened to those who fled to Uganda - the RDF put them up in their barracks and the leaders in hotels -and 10 years later they're back to inflict more mayhem!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:41pm On Mar 08, 2023
Hiya Nemesis4you cheesy
Met someone today at Africa Energy Indaba 2023 who said she worked at CSIR.
Assumed our CSIR and asked her if we could have "more discussions" next I'm in her neck of the woods.
Her reply: "You come up to Delhi often?"
grin grin grin
Moral of the story: accent is no reliable indicator of anything!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:54pm On Mar 08, 2023
Lurker4Long:

According to someone who was there during FIB1 in 2013, when Rwanda DF crossed the border to re-supply M23 at night, it was SF small teams behind the lines that called in mortar fire and obliterated them. Incriminating evidence was collected on the scene and this resulted in that famous week when M23 calls to Kigali went unanswered and Rooivalke did their thing.
Alas, the remnants made it across to Rwanda, were not imprisoned as happened to those who fled to Uganda - the RDF put them up in their barracks and the leaders in hotels -and 10 years later they're back to inflict more mayhem!

I guess whatever Kagame is mining in the eastern DRC is making him super rich... of course, the Israelis and French are on it as well.

Another of my theories is that the Congolese leadership is deliberately making FARDC (National military) very weak. I mean, logic would say you would train and equip your troops accordingly if you live in a country that has neighbours who are constantly invading and have countless in-country militia groups. What is stopping the government from paying troops proper salaries for their region and equip the whole force accordingly?

In Pic: Congolese troops seen without body protection

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 11:09pm On Mar 08, 2023
Looking at this now, its has become an eyesore grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 11:10pm On Mar 08, 2023
This looks much easier on the eye grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:18am On Mar 09, 2023
GreenandGold:

Lol. Sad I never got to ask him what J/Uke actually meant.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:22am On Mar 09, 2023
Lurker4Long:

Don't forget the Tutsi Supremacists!
Lol. grin

Kagame wouldn't sponsor IS though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:24am On Mar 09, 2023
GreenandGold:

I guess whatever Kagame is mining in the eastern DRC is making him super rich... of course, the Israelis and French are on it as well.

Another of my theories is that the Congolese leadership is deliberately making FARDC (National military) very weak. I mean, logic would say you would train and equip your troops accordingly if you live in a country that has neighbours who are constantly invading and countless militia. What is stopping the government from paying troops proper salaries for their region and equip the whole force accordingly?

In Pic: Congolese troops seen without body protection
Your first point: not a single one of Rwanda's mineral exports is found on Rwandan soil. The French not so much, since they supported the wrong side during the civil war/genocide. Israel, UK and to a lesser extent Kenya are the main conduits for Rwandan exports of stolen DRC minerals.

Your 2nd point: the DRC has over 40 armed groups supported by both the Congolese govt and all its neighbours. So for example, after M23, the FIB wanted to go after the FDLR, the 2nd biggest group. These are the remnants of the guys who perpetrated the genocide in Rwanda, and fled to DRC when Kagame won the war. This would have removed Kagame's justification to meddle. The DRC govt instructed the FARDC not to co-operate with the FIB ops against the FDLR. And according to UN rules, if the host country is not involved, MONUSCO cannot conduct operations. That's just 1 out of over 40 groups, with many state sponsors.
That's why the East African Community thought they should have a crack at it, outside the UN red tape.
I doubt they'll succeed, because the main spoiler, Rwanda, is a member and there's no appetite, for a myriad reasons, to forcefully confront Kagame.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:40am On Mar 09, 2023
Faithful007:
Lol. grin

Kagame wouldn't sponsor IS though.

I wouldn't be so sure. When he was fighting with Uganda over pillaging the DRC, he funded and armed the ADF, which is a DRC-based Ugandan anti-Museveni movement. They pledged bayat to ISIS only when the US/EU forced him to stop support. Indirectly, he's responsible for their resurgence and current depravity.
Nobody has clean hands in the DRC imbroglio, and that includes SA.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:44am On Mar 09, 2023
GreenandGold:
No doubt. But I remain convinced there's a role for 90mm in this world. With infantry out in the open and no mortars or artillery, 30mm or 90mm?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 2:32am On Mar 09, 2023
Faithful007:
Lol. Sad I never got to ask him what J/Uke actually meant.
Probably a good thing. Spared us a long lecture on the Khazarian roots of European Jewry.

BTW, haven't had an interesting joust here since my last one with you. This time I want to pronounce on a subject superficially, and it must be something on which we disagree. Haven't found one yet, but get your intellectual dukes up!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 2:37am On Mar 09, 2023
And with that, the Hang Seng action for which I was waiting, begins. Outta here!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 6:24am On Mar 09, 2023
GreenandGold:
maybe a stripped/lighter version of the Rg35 could also work?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:04am On Mar 09, 2023
Lurker4Long:

No doubt. But I remain convinced there's a role for 90mm in this world. With infantry out in the open and no mortars or artillery, 30mm or 90mm?

There are a lot of things that are not in favour for the 90mm... here's some:

- Based on the size of the Eland 90, you need to deploy multiple vehicles at once to have enough 90mm shells on the field.... now we know how much of a problem that is with our air-lift abilities.
- You'll need an additional LMG attached to the turret, the reload speed of the 90mm is not fast enough for a mobile enemy contact

Meanwhile the 30mm:

- Fit in a whole lot of shells in an Eland 90-sized vehicle ✔
- Can pierce all technical vehicles, all Soviet-built IFVs and APCs which are likely to be used by African insurgents ✔
- 30mm HE shells act as mini grenades against personnel and you can fire plenty in a short time ✔
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:28am On Mar 09, 2023
jl115:
maybe a stripped/lighter version of the Rg35 could also work?

It would work if it was smaller, way smaller, as it stands the vehicle's height is 2.5m without the turret. That's already a house ceiling height... again, we cannot airlift it with the C-130.

I was thinking something with the height of the German Fennek vehicle

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2023
@jl115 and Lurker4Long

Is it possible to convince Aunt Zille to make the Castle of Good Hope like this? grin

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 2:57pm On Mar 09, 2023
Lurker4Long:

Probably a good thing. Spared us a long lecture on the Khazarian roots of European Jewry.

BTW, haven't had an interesting joust here since my last one with you. This time I want to pronounce on a subject superficially, and it must be something on which we disagree. Haven't found one yet, but get your intellectual dukes up!
Lol. Maybe

As for the bolded.....

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 8:03am On Mar 10, 2023
GreenandGold:
@jl115 and Lurker4Long

Is it possible to convince Aunt Zille to make the Castle of Good Hope like this? grin
Madam Zille can build all the castles she likes..... After she's taken me off the Eskom grid
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:09am On Mar 10, 2023
Faithful007:
Lol. Maybe

As for the bolded.....

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (2769) (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) ... (2851) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.