Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (591) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5979268 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 10:03am On Aug 18, 2016
oga henry u get any spec about d new SD boat launched yesterday by d navy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 18, 2016
Egyptian Mig-29 Fighter Jets to Carry Cutting-Edge IRST, EW System
By ITARTASS -August 17, 2016

The Mikoyan MiG-29 (NATO reporting name: Fulcrum) fighter jets to be exported to Egypt will be fitted out with advanced infrared search-and-track (IRST) stations and electronic warfare (EW) pods, according to the Izvestia daily.

According to representatives of the defense contractors taking part in executing the contract, Egypt’s MiG-29s will feature the latest OLS-UE IRST capable of not only detecting enemy aircraft by their infrared signature, but also acquiring surface threats, getting their coordinates and showing the imagery on a display in the cockpit.

In addition to the IRST, the MiG-29s ordered by Egypt will be equipped with the PPK targeting pod comprising thermal imager/TV systems and laser rangefinders allowing the employment of not only precision-guided munitions (PGM), e.g. bombs and missiles carrying TV or laser homing heads, but also ‘dumb’ munitions with a circular error probable (CEP) of tens of centimeters.

The OLS-UE and PPK have been developed and manufactured by the same company – Precision Instrument Systems, a subsidiary of the Roscosmos State Corporation.

The Russian Aerospace Force’s (RusAF) fleet of MiG-29s is equipped with IRSTs too, but the latter are rather a means of dogfighting, a RusAF officer says. According to the source, the IRST designed for the Egyptian MiG-29s both feeds TV and IR imagery to a display in the cockpit and, if need be, ‘paints’ the target using the integral laser rangefinder that creates a laser spot invisible to the naked eye but quite visible to homing PGMs.

Another novelty to be supplied to Egypt is the MSP small-size electronic countermeasures (ECM) system from the Axel Berg Central Research Institute. The MSP spoofs the homing heads of guided missiles, e.g. the US-made AIM-130 AMRAAM and AIM-7 Sparrow and French-manufactured MICA-EM. Dang!

The work on the MSP has been under way long enough. MiG Corp. has displayed MiG-29s sporting MSPs on their hard-points at MAKS international air shows in the Moscow Region. The RusAF is yet to order the MSP, however.

According to expert Anton Lavrov, the Egyptian version of the MiG-29 turns the old Soviet-built fighter into an up-to-date multirole aircraft capable of standing its ground against the US-made F-16 Fighting Falcon and Swedish-built JAS 39 Gripen. The most radical increase in its capabilities will be that in ground target acquisition and engagement. Carrying the PPK podded sight, the MiG-29M will even surpass the overwhelming majority of the RusAF’s in-service fighters in this respect.

At the same time, according to expert Andrei Frolov, the Russian-Egypt contract is similar to the agreement signed earlier with India for the Sukhoi Su-30MKI (Flanker-H) and MiG-29K/KUB (Fulcrum-D) fighters. At the time, India agreed to fund numerous research and development efforts intended to refine the Russian aircraft that New Delhi was going to acquire. At the time, the Indian money came in really handy for Sukhoi to improve the Su-30 heavily and introduce the then-latest solutions.

After the MiG-29K/KUB carrier-borne fighter had been developed for the Indian Navy, a modified version of the fighter has been bought by the Russian Defense Ministry. Like New Delhi, Cairo is interested in a fighter with maximized capabilities even though some of its systems is not ready yet.

According to Frolov, the IRST and EW equipment implemented in the Egypt-ordered MiG-29Ms may be used in the RusAF’s fighter jets in the future.

The Egypt-placed contract for MiG-29s stipulates at least 50 advanced fighters to the tune of more than $2 billion. MiG Corp. Deputy Director General Alexei Beskibalov said on February 6 this year that the corporation would deliver two MiG-29Ms to the North African country before year-end 2016, while it planned to fulfil the contract before the end of 2020, according to the Izvestia daily.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:
oga henry u get any spec about d new SD boat launched yesterday by d navy
Have they finally launched it, any video?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:16am On Aug 18, 2016
chkil:

but d Indian are complaining about their recently delivered mig 29 just hope Egypt don't experience same
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:18am On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:

Have they finally launched it, any video?
nothing o.only saw it on silverbirdtv news flash.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:

Ok, I'll check online and see if i find any. Oga Fynline could also assist with videos if he can.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:

I can now say, I am very very happy. It's NNS Andoni II. The second 40 meters Coastal Patrol Vessel. It is beautiful!!!

..... Although, it hasn't been launched yet, the Navy commissioned into service 39 boats yesterday. 30 from Epenal, plus the 9 imported from Sri-Lanka.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:49am On Aug 18, 2016
Compare

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:
Compare
dis is very good.
need to now focus on reduced time spent on development n production
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:
dis is very good.

need to now focus on reduced time spent on development n production

The production length is unacceptable. It took the Nigerian navy 4 years individually to build 3 boats. NNS Ugwu (Tug boat), NNS Andoni another 4 years, SDBII which was to be delivered in 2013, another 4 years.

We need to cut production time to within months, maximum 10 months for vessels such as NNS Andoni and SDB II. The Navy is also projected to a Landing Ship, and a Hydrographic ship soon. With the length of delivery, i can't even imagine when they would be launched when finally approved.

On the plus side, Epenal has so far delivered 60 boats to the Nigerian Navy, with 20 more on order. 80 boats in 7 months, yes they are 8.2 meters boats, but you can see why i advocate private manufacturing instead of government bureaucracy.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2016
chkil:

Egypt is playing in a different league, i bet they have a better Air Force than the Germans. There's Egypt....................................................................... Then the rest of the Continent.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:

The production length is unacceptable. It took the Nigerian navy 4 years individually to build 3 boats. NNS Ugwu (Tug boat), NNS Andoni another 4 years, SDBII which was to be delivered in 2013, another 4 years.

We need to cut production time to within months, maximum 10 months for vessels such as NNS Andoni and SDB II. The Navy is also projected to a Landing Ship, and a Hydrographic ship soon. With the length of delivery, i can't even imagine when they would be launched when finally approved.

On the plus side, Epenal has so far delivered 60 boats to the Nigerian Navy, with 20 more on order. 80 boats in 7 months, yes they are 8.2 meters boats, but you can see why i advocate private manufacturing instead of government bureaucracy.
I total agree with you let d navy design n outsource d construction to a private company here in Nigeria
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:
I total agree with you let d navy design n outsource d construction to a private company here in Nigeria

Going forward, i hope we get to see improvements in design and size. We have a requirement for 13 vessels like these SDB II. This would enable us better patrol our coastline, while the smaller boats patrol the creeks.

Much larger vessels such as our OPVs, offshore.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Uganda calls for regional efforts to fight ADF rebels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12RQXNBTIs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:

I can now say, I am very very happy. It's NNS Andoni II. The second 40 meters Coastal Patrol Vessel. It is beautiful!!!

..... Although, it hasn't been launched yet, the Navy commissioned into service 39 boats yesterday. 30 from Epenal, plus the 9 imported from Sri-Lanka.
oluwa oo!!!cute!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 18, 2016
i couldn't find a better video, but a little portion of the launching was captured by channels tv, watch between 3:58 - 5:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSifVjgAPZY
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
africaken254:

httpsoutube.com/watch?v=E12RQXNBTIs
Who are ADF?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 18, 2016
Odunayaw:
oluwa oo!!!cute!!
I wonder why the photographer did not take different angles of the vessel.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
Odunayaw:
oluwa oo!!!cute!!
I wonder why the photographer did not take different angles of the vessel.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
i couldn't find a better video, but a little portion of the launching was captured by channels tv, watch between 3:58 - 5:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSifVjgAPZY

Channelstv messed up the report. The Vessel is very cute, larger than what i initially thought, very nice.

Nice to see the Navy is also refurbishing 4 more boats at the docks. I can spot NNS Damisa, NNS Agu and NNS Ekpe. It does seem like the job done on NNS Siri and NNS Ayam are complete.

I hope we get better images when SDBII is finally launched by President Buhari. I disappointed they mounted a 12.7mm at the rear of SDBII, i was hoping we'll get a 30mm both in front and rear.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Deway75: 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2016
Private sector manufacturing is the right step for ship building. The government can make concessionary loans and other forms of financing options available to investors. Since Ajaokuta and Delta steel companies have become the moribund donkeys, government can allow private defense (and automobile) sector investors to import steel with very low duty. prioritize electricity supply to key sector manufacturers.

Henry240:

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Deway75: 3:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
Correction: The Jonathan government wasn't hostile to the west. The British have always been and continue to be engaged with the NN SBS.
We were in the middle of a hot and deadly insurgency at the time, and the so called US trainers wanted the army to withdraw equipment being used in the war for training. Where does that even begin happen? How is that even possible? Of course the western media wouldn't mention this. The army had no choice but to reach out to the president to send them packing. They donated some run down Casspir MRAPs to the army this year, they could have done same back then if they wanted to.
US foreign policy is positive only where they can derive benefit and if one administration doesn't favor them, then it gets the butt of the US.

MikeCZA:
The Jonathan administration was hostile to the west.

It is only now that western forces are coming back to Nigeria to provide training to some units.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nigerian navy locally built vessel and boat

- SDBII

- SDBII

- Arrow Boats (Sri-Lanka)

- Epenal Gun Boats, armed with AGL

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nigeria

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:

Channelstv messed up the report. The Vessel is very cute, larger than what i initially thought, very nice.

Nice to see the Navy is also refurbishing 4 more boats at the docks. I can spot NNS Damisa, NNS Agu and NNS Ekpe. It does seem like the job done on NNS Siri and NNS Ayam are complete.

I hope we get better images when SDBII is finally launched by President Buhari. I disappointed they mounted a 12.7mm at the rear of SDBII, i was hoping we'll get a 30mm both in front and rear.

These reporters always prioritize the wrong things, instead of then to focus on the platforms being launched, i could only catch a glimpse of the ships and it lasted only a few seconds.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
What navy ship is this ? It's seems like it is also being brought back into service

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 4:33pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:
Nigeria
which ship is dat d one in dry dock
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2016
africaken254:
off topic :Chinese Type 96B loses a wheel during the Tank Biathlon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEBDeSVEb0
but i did see the tank in another tank ,finish the race even though it lost the wheel
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 18, 2016
Henry240:

Who are ADF?
The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) is a rebel group opposed to the Ugandan government and is considered a terrorist organisation.[2][3] It was originally based in western Uganda with bases also in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

Since the late 1990s, the ADF has operated in the DRC's North Kivu province near the border with Uganda. While repeated military offensives against the ADF have severely affected it, the ADF has been able to regenerate because its recruitment and financial networks have remained intact.[4]
link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Democratic_Forces
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
africaken254:
but i did see the tank in another tank ,finish the race even though it lost the wheel

The Type-96B was drifting like crazy in the Tank Biathlon competition. I was ecstatic, beautiful Tank. It goes to show how grueling Tank biathlon is.

I noticed for an MBT, the Type-96 is quite small, when compared to the T-72B3.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 18, 2016
jakeporeshenko:

These reporters always prioritize the wrong things, instead of then to focus on the platforms being launched, i could only catch a glimpse of the ships and it lasted only a few seconds.

These reporters need shellacking, they keep on, and on, filming and photographing the Top-Brass instead of the equipment they came there to commission.

From the footage, i keep wondering why the Navy even bothered to purchase those arrow boats. You can see them struggling against the boats from Epenal, who were flying.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
giles14:
which ship is dat d one in dry dock

-NNS Damisa

- NNS Ayam

- NNS Ekun.

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56