Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) (33681 Views)

Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / What Does The Bible Say About Drinking Alcohol/wine? Is It A Sin For A Christian / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol / Wine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by LagosShia: 12:30pm On Aug 11, 2013
Condemnation of Drinking altogether:

Proverbs 23:31-32
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Luke 1:15
15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit [a]while yet in his mother’s womb.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank.

Habakkuk 2:15
Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken.

Hosea 4:11
11*w*h*o*r*e*d*o*m and wine and new wine take away the heart

Judges 13:4
Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean

Judges 13:7
She must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, nor drink any wine or other fermented drink nor eat anything unclean. She must do everything I have commanded her.”

============================================

Condemnation of Alcohol and Drunkenness:

Deuteronomy 29:6
You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God.”

Isaiah 5:11
11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.

Drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing.

Proverbs 31:4
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink,

Jeremiah 35:14
Jonadab ... commanded his sons not to drink wine ... unto this day they drink none, but obey their father's commandment.

Galatians 5:21
Drunkenness ... and such like ... they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by raeez(m): 12:31pm On Aug 11, 2013
Ms_Steph: Dis tin too long I no read am finish. D tin with most of our religious books both bible nd koran dey can give u reasons why sumtin is wrong nd another reason y shld shld do it. To me wine is not bad but wen u over drink it nd get drunk dats wen it is bad.
Don't get it twisted Qur'an categorically stated that u shouldn't drink alcohol

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by driand(m): 12:32pm On Aug 11, 2013
taiocol: No 4 states 'What you need to
remember ...
And do not get drunk with
wine,
for that is debauchery, but be
filled with the Spirit. ―
Ephesians 5:18'
don't forget it was also written, 'man must not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from God '......... hypocrites.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by sylve11: 12:35pm On Aug 11, 2013
Even knights i knw consume alcohol and bazz cigerate like no man's business. So why wont i? cool
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by tshegs19: 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
lanrexlan: Yeah,but proverbs gives the full authority
When you forget your poverty, does it mean you're now rich ? Read the same Proverbs 31 frm verse 1. & understnd wot yu're really referred to. (Slaves, common men) Not Kings or Princes (Child of God).

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by plasgidy: 12:40pm On Aug 11, 2013
NO problem make una dey shayoo but dont forget to carry your guage.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Horo(m): 12:41pm On Aug 11, 2013
Is like drinking beer is part of Christianity even though some bad Muslims drink but majority of high drinkers are xtian

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by oliidell(m): 12:41pm On Aug 11, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

I find it amusing that you guys decide to quote a version of the bible that suits your logic. What you quoted up there is an adulterated version of the bible.

The original King James version of Eph 5: 18 states " And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.

Keyword being "where in excess".

Stop quoting Queen Elizabeth version of the bible.
taiocol: No 4 states 'What you need to
remember ...
And do not get drunk with
wine,
for that is debauchery, but be
filled with the Spirit. ―
Ephesians 5:18'

Maazi, even without the 'in excess', the above post stil butresses ur point. 'Do not drink' is different from 'Do not get drunk.' I don't work for Nigerian Breweries but pls let's not misquote the bible.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by BlazeBuenos(m): 12:44pm On Aug 11, 2013
Biblically, The Bible Is Voluminous and Mysterious. Without De Holy Spirit U Can Never Read De Bible & Understand It because Its Complicated & Compound; In Taking Reference To Drinking Of Alcohol. According To My Assertions, I Hate Alcohol & Will Neva Take Part In It No Matter What. PERIOD !!!
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by naijathings(m): 12:44pm On Aug 11, 2013
[size=14pt]i went to a wedding yesterday and turned water into wine and i came back with an extra bottle and drank it before going to church then it turned into urine after church... praise the Lord.[/size]

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by LagosShia: 12:45pm On Aug 11, 2013
oliidell:

Maazi, even without the 'in excess', the above post stil butresses ur point. 'Do not drink' is different from 'Do not get drunk.' I don't work for Nigerian Breweries but pls let's not misquote the bible.

on the issue of alcohol consumption the bible is at best contradictory if not confusing.there are verses (see my post above) that prohibit drinking alcohol.there are verses which only speak against drunkenness.there are verses which allow alcohol.and we can also understand that there is a verse which promotes drunkenness (proverbs 31:6-9).

3 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by omotayokay: 12:48pm On Aug 11, 2013
You can drink wine but not to be drunk by it! Being drunk does not cos you to sin against yourself but to the Almighty!
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by xtremely9ja: 12:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
lanrexlan: The bible advise christians to drink wine and beer to forget their sorrows.
Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)- Give beer to those who are perishing,wine to those who are in anguish;let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.
The bible also recommends wine in preference to water.
1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV) -Stop drinking only water,and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
From the first scripture you quoted,I will like to ask; are you perishing or do you want to perish? Are you in anguish or do you want to be in anguish? Then from the second scripture, are you sick or do you want to be sick frequently? Because the scriptures quoted never justifies drinking. Except you are perishing and you are averse to redemption or you are permanently sick and need little for you sickness from time to time.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by anonimi: 12:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
sseunth: well,to me drinking is not the sin.....geting drunk is the sin

And that is what the Bible says.
QED!

Even under the OT laws, Jews were EXPECTED to convert their farm harvest tithes to money, which could be used to buy alcohol at the place where God is. However the coming and death of Christ has FULFILLED THE law.

The Law of the Tithe
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always. 24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, 27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. 28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: 29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Deuteronomy+14%3A+22-29&ver=kjv

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by eriegua83: 12:59pm On Aug 11, 2013
Maclatunji nor see this terrorist? Product ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥Ơ̴̴̴͡F⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥ Α̅ phedophile prophet Ŋa̶̲̥̅̊ MMW own Ŋa̶̲̥̅̊i he see.
azeezlateefah: in ISLAM anything that will intoxicate you is forbiden....Christianity is Man made joor...gbagbe Oshi...
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Chynx(m): 1:01pm On Aug 11, 2013
taiocol: We do not need the Bible to be
telling us this, most of us have
tried and tested ways to claim
the same. Alcohol, in whatever
form, has at some point of time
caused us to do things
differently. In the very essence of
it, the Scripture does not
encourage you to sin against
your conscience, thus, forbidding
you from doing anything that will
offend yourself and your fellow
beings, in particular.
Consuming alcohol, on the whole,
is not really condemned but
letting yourself give in to
drunkenness, which will lead to a
loss in sobriety, is definitely
looked down upon. Finally, what
matters is not allowing anything
to overpower the mind and the
body, for that which is
overpowered is enslaved.
Well spoken and so on-point!
No more blabs on this matter pls.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by irokop(m): 1:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
plasgidy: guys pls which bible quotation said, not that that gowet into a mans mouth defilet a man but that that comet out of a mans mouth, for what gos in to the mouth enters the belly and comes out trough the botom

pls some body shld answer this man now i like the saying its in the bible but i forgot where it is. thanks
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by MaziOmenuko: 1:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
LagosShia:

on the issue of alcohol consumption the bible is at best contradictory if not confusing.there are verses (see my post above) that prohibit drinking alcohol.there are verses which only speak against drunkenness.there are verses which allow alcohol.and we can also understand that there is a verse which promotes drunkenness (proverbs 31:6-9).

Then we can summarize the argument with these two verses:

1) 1Corinth 10:23 "All things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient (beneficial): all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

[For the sake of the liberty in Christ name, the above verse was written by Paul to the Corinthians. Alcohol may not help in edifying your body, but it is not sinful as you you speculated]

2) 1Corinth 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Do you know why I quoted the 2 verses above, because "For the earth is the Lords and the fulness thereof." (Vs 26 of same chapter).

I think the chapter 10 of 1Corinth, when studied well, will answer most of the controversial questions we ask today.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by lanrexlan(m): 1:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
wolajumoke: @lanrexlan
You are harmering on Proverbs 31:6-7 & 1 Timothy 5:23
The 2 verses NEVER support drinking. If you are looking for bible verse to support your action, sorry none of the 2 support it. here is the analysis.
Oops,do I look like a christian? I said the bible gives christians authority to drink wine in some cases.

1. Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)- Give beer to those who are perishing,wine to those who are in anguish;let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Here, Proverb said give wine to those PERISHING or in ANGUISH. Are you experiencing any of the two? Then how will you say the bible ask EVERYONE to drink?
You are reading my posts upside down.I am not experiencing any one

2) 1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV) -Stop drinking only water,and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
He was asked to drink wine for his ILLNESS not pleasure
I know,my religion prohibits beer even for illness.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by olumaxi(m): 1:03pm On Aug 11, 2013
Perfect way to start a perfect drinkin week
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by eriegua83: 1:04pm On Aug 11, 2013
Do you eat meat/ flesh? If you do you aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ Α̅ hypocrite according to your bible quotes.
LagosShia: Condemnation of Drinking altogether:

Proverbs 23:31-32
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Luke 1:15
15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit [a]while yet in his mother’s womb.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank.

Habakkuk 2:15
Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken.

Hosea 4:11
11*w*h*o*r*e*d*o*m and wine and new wine take away the heart

Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean

Judges 13:7
She must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, nor drink any wine or other fermented drink nor eat anything unclean. She must do everything I have commanded her.”

============================================

Condemnation of Alcohol and Drunkenness:

Deuteronomy 29:6
You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God.”

Isaiah 5:11
11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.

Drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing.

Proverbs 31:4
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink,

Jeremiah 35:14
Jonadab ... commanded his sons not to drink wine ... unto this day they drink none, but obey their father's commandment.

Galatians 5:21
Drunkenness ... and such like ... they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 11, 2013
pafestula: He who drinks get drunk,
He who get drunk fall asleep,
He who fall asleep don't sin,
He who don't sin goes to heaven,
So what's your point?
Wats dis one saying undecided

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by maxw726gmailc: 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2013
To really know what the Bible says about drinking, we ought to be clear what it meant by the word wine. Wine, for instance, was the common drink in ancient times, and Biblical scholars are of the view that, the water available for drinking contained pollutants and harmful microbes, which made it unfit for consumption. From what is believed, the alcohol content in wine was needed to kill these microbes, and also to keep ailments and infections at bay.

You analysis is very poor if you think man has lived without drinking water because it was unfit for human consumption. Do you think NAFDAC was around in those days ? If you think slaves were given wine when they were thirsty then you better go have a strong drink and rewrite your post.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by rooney07: 1:11pm On Aug 11, 2013
If u say that proverbs gives u the go ahead to drink, let me ask you a question. Are u in sorrow,are u depressed&are u sick to the point that you believe alchol is the solution?
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Ofeakwu(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
Pls can someone read deuteronomy 14:26 for us τ̲̅☺ see W̶̲̥̅̊ђε̲̣̣̣̥rε̲̣̣̣̥ we askd τ̲̅☺ drink b4  Lord
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Danieltskaa: 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
Those who d spirit of God leads re called sons of God. If u tink its d spirit of God dat leads 2 drink alkohol,go ahead. Bt knw ye that a day is comin when all shall give account of dea deeds...
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Jiteshell(f): 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2013
spongeback: Jesus turned water to wine=====>Not fruit juice
not all wines are alchoholic
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by bosun11(m): 1:27pm On Aug 11, 2013
Rexnegro: Whether beer or anytin , drink but don't be drunk...that's the ultimate tin abt drinking Jare.

U have spoken well my man! That's All
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by franchizy(m): 1:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
Let us hear d conclusion of d whole matter, fear God and keep His commandments
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by bosun11(m): 1:30pm On Aug 11, 2013
DEIFIED: me i dont even drink water.

Ok na palmwine u dey drink abi
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by pafestula(m): 1:33pm On Aug 11, 2013
ighoosagie: Wats dis one saying undecided
And what is not clear in my speech? Jesus christ himself talked in parables, are you a learner?
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Zamoni: 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2013
hmmm,people jst dy teach wrong teaching this days,if u be drunkards go change oooo,abeg go read 1cor 6vs9-10.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Types Of People Who Wouldn't Like Adeboye's Words Recently / Atiku: Tunde Bakare's Prophecy About Messiah From Adamawa In 2002 / LASG Backs Deeper Life Flyover In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.