Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,898 members, 7,814,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? (8574 Views)

My Horrible Experiences With Food Sellers In Lagos / How To Prepare Chin-chin For Your Festive Period / If You Are Given This Type Of Food By Your Inlaws (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

Back in the days as a child, my mother threw away the whole food that were brought by the neighbors and I am here to report that she has not changed. As a kid, I could never grasp why she did that but I certainly understand now that I am a full fledged adult.
you must not eat any food of the unbelivers
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by ajasa4link: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
my mum gives it out to Hausa beggars asap...
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by LovelyAmy(f): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
hmmm, my family never participated in such festival talk more of eating the unclean food.
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Walexz02(m): 3:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
Uhm
I just dey observe
it is gross stupidity to throw away food that has not expired, what happens to rejecting the food?
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by trustdanalhaji(m): 3:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
If u are responsible u will not collect food and throw it away, because is extravagant. And u have 2 think critically about wat I said, because u are a cristain dat is why u will no eat muslims food? Am a muslim but on cristmast day or new year if my cristain friend give m food I used 2 eat because we are all nigerians

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
These are food carefully prepared...i eat them with joy and hapiness...and pray to God dat d day should neva end...
praise dae lord.....
Tekbir....
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by lolop(m): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
That why Nigeria as a country will never develop

we never for once trust ourselves

talk less of our neighbor given us food.

what I observe is that most respondent threw away this food

what I pray for Nigeria should not go to war that is when u will know the importance of food

U can ask people in Somalia ,Syria they will tell you the importance of food

why not REJECT THE FOOD IF U DONT WANT RATHER THAN THROWING IT AWAY

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
I dont care if the food is from idolators.....what I ate was food not religion service.

Im not a christian but eat and dine with christians.
Im not a muslim but eat and merry with muslims.
I dont worship idols but can flex with dogs after Ogun festival in Ondo town

Religion has really turn some people apart. Imagine when you cant eat food giving to you because of religion differences......thats why I love most pagan people, if you belief in what they belief, you worship with them but if you dont belief in what they belief, you dine with them.

Even though I dont want to eat, I will eat just a little to show respect to those that provide money for making it and those that put energy for making it.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Dygeasy(m): 3:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
tjskii: cheesy this ur que brings bak memories,growing up,my mum used to throw out any food brot to us by neighbors,I used to hunger after those meals,jollof rice,fried meat by our muslim neighbors,puffpuff from d neigbors doin 8days remembrance*sigh*
You Banned Me In The Fashion Section. I Didn't Do Anything Wrong.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by dokunbam(m): 3:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Simple
I eat it
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by opeyemitee(m): 3:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
you must not eat food of the unbeliever. It is haram in islam. Anything other than that, you can eat it. There is nothing wrong in it so far you mention God's name before eating it. This promotes unity and love. Once we love oneanother, God will be happy with us and vice versa.
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by SELFWORTH: 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
I remember my mum taking some nice rice and food from our neighbours. The aroma from the meal was just awesome. She told us not to touch it as God had ministered to her about the person who brought it .

The next day when we went to clean out the food so we can return the plates. The whole food had turned into the foot of a goat. I will never forget it. Till this day, none of us will eat from outsiders. My sister fainted from the sight of the foot. It was like a nollywoood movie.

Even now, when I visit friends, I don't eat unless am allowed to cook it myself.

Anyone who eats anyhow in Nigeria is playing with 'wahala'. The heart of man is desperately wicked.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by laughinggal(f): 3:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
Well sometimes it depend on the type of festival, so sometimes i trow them away because i don't know if it was sacrifice to their god's

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by SELFWORTH: 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
laughinggal: Well sometimes it depend on the type of festival, so sometimes i trow them away because i don't know if it was sacrifice to their god's

Absolutely!

85% of the time, its for ' Sahara'.
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
aminho: u threw it out while kids in Somalia are dieing of hunger so good of u

SO HE SHOULD SHIP IT TO SOMALIA because THEY ARE HUNGRY
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Shinelle(f): 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
In my house, we eat whatever given to us from ppl, muslims or christians, during festivities so long as its edible n not damagin to. Our health... Last Salah tho, we dint eat d rice brot to us cos it was Toooooooo salty! Damn >:
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Gen2jaynee: 4:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
i dont eat it, its either i gave it to anybody who cares or i tro it away
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by hotbabe001(f): 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2013
Am a christian I do eat any food given to me during festive period even dis past sallah I eat correct rice & meat. Anybody way put juju insider d food go take him head carry am because my mind dey clean
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by hotbabe001(f): 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
U guys dat said u normally throw d food away u are all pretenders y can't u just tell dem u don't want dan to pretend dat u want. Nigerians always speak ur minds so dat we can move forward

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Paretomaster(m): 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
Its a peculiar thng among Xtians, dnt kw y dey do dat, bt wateva na dem sabi, me dey chop Xmas food wella.
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by usbcable(m): 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
while growing up we used to joyfully give to our neighbors during eid festivals and likewise recive joyfully during easter and xmas.
but d day we found out dat some of them actually threw the food away, we simply agreed to stop giving out to them unless when requested.
when i joined my present office and eid festival arrived(out of over sabi and I no sabi who is who) I gave meat to all my team members. Lo and behold a week after I discovered rotten meat in our locker and one in d thrash.
So I reversed back to old policy.
the following year I didnt give zilch to nobody. It was now a case of ask and you shall be given. and to all those that asked I gave dem and sorta checked if their requests were genuine so dat they dont WASTE the precious Meat I bought with my HARD EARNED SALARY.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Lilimax(f): 4:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
SELFWORTH: I remember my mum taking some nice rice and food from our neighbours. The aroma from the meal was just awesome. She told us not to touch it as God had ministered to her about the person who brought it .

The next day when we went to clean out the food so we can return the plates. The whole food had turned into the foot of a goat. I will never forget it. Till this day, none of us will eat from outsiders. My sister fainted from the sight of the foot. It was like a nollywoood movie.

Even now, when I visit friends, I don't eat unless am allowed to cook it myself.

Anyone who eats anyhow in Nigeria is playing with 'wahala'.

what is the title of this movie

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by DAZZLINGM(f): 4:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
Depends on who brings the food during the festive period. i won't because it's a festive period just take and consume whatever it is that was brought, my mum did not do that either.

It's beyond religion. i can never forget the alhaja i grew up to know who gave me and my brother a plate of food one afternoon when we came back from school (pry sch), prior to that day, my mum told us she had a dream that someone gave us food and it was poisoned, she said she did not see who it was in d dream but we should as usual not eat or take anything without her knowledge. Alhaja gave me the food and said it was for me and my brother, i took it in and showed my elder sis cos my mum was not yet back, my sister threw it away and told my mum when she came back much later in the evening. the following morning on our way to the car, going to schl alhaja came out, saw me and my brother and the first thing she said phrased as a question was ' chidi tola, nothing happened to you? (she asked in yoruba as she is not good in english), i ran back inside to tell my mum. Yet her husband, an alhaji, is such a good man so also is the second wife and they are also muslims, alhaji neber hesitates to apologize for her actions cos she is just a wicked person. that's y i said its beyond religion. Most of the time, our nature (character, attitude etc) that defines us comes to play a lot in our daily lives which will surely be attributed to our religion.

sorry for the long essay smiley and also for digressing a little kiss

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by usbcable(m): 4:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
and just to enlighten all you throway inclined peps.
the meat we prepare are not sacrifices to "Allah".
cos I knowdats ur ultimate fear.
and since its not for Allah it definately is not for Muhammad(aka Muhammed in xtiandom).
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by DAZZLINGM(f): 4:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
DAZZLING M: Depends on who brings the food during the festive period. i won't because it's a festive period just take and consume whatever it is that was brought, my mum did not do that either.

It's beyond religion. i can never forget the alhaja i grew up to know who gave me and my brother a plate of food one afternoon when we came back from school (pry sch), prior to that day, my mum told us she had a dream that someone gave us food and it was poisoned, she said she did not see who it was in d dream but we should as usual not eat or take anything without her knowledge. Alhaja gave me the food and said it was for me and my brother, i took it in and showed my elder sis cos my mum was not yet back, my sister threw it away and told my mum when she came back much later in the evening. the following morning on our way to the car, going to schl alhaja came out, saw me and my brother and the first thing she said phrased as a question was ' chidi tola, nothing happened to you? (she asked in yoruba as she is not good in english), i ran back inside to tell my mum. Yet her husband, an alhaji, is such a good man so also is the second wife and they are also muslims, alhaji never hesitates to apologize for her actions cos she is just a wicked person. that's y i said its beyond religion. Most of the time, our nature (character, attitude etc) that defines us comes to play a lot in our daily lives which will surely be attributed to our religion.

sorry for the long essay smiley and also for digressing a little kiss

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Mark 6: 42-44 Jesus took 5 loaves and some fish and fed a multitude. When they had finished eating, His disciples gathered up the scraps and there were 12 baskets full. If you had fed a multitude, you would not "need" to gather up the scraps but they did. That tells me all food is important even though we don't know what happened to the leftover undecided.

Personally I don't like the idea of throwing food away when millions of people are going without! What I do is lock my gate and no matter how hard neighbours knock we don't open the gate so I don't reject the food and come across as rude or arrogant and I don't waste scarce resources! If we have to go out, we either go out very early in the morning or go out when they are no longer carrying food about. Some neighbours took the cue and didn't bother to bring food this year. As for me, I don't distribute food during Christmas, I only entertain my guests and distribute season's greeting cards and to the close muslim friends, colleagues and neighbours, I buy original cheap wines like veleta and give with the cards.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Daddybee: 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2013
I don't see anything bad in eating it. As a Muslim back then we do follow my father's tenants to church when they invite us even though my father was a Muslim leader. I think in the Southwest, the Muslims are more tolerant than the Christians.
Re: What Do You Do With Food Given To You During Festive Period? by Emmyk(m): 5:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
We dont collect moslems food. They know it my area.

I remember one day that my parents were away, my sister collected it and we waited till they returned. They told her to return it kpakpakpa..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Crowns Milk Celebrates Mother’s Day With ‘cook For Mum’ Campaign / Green Coffee And Roast Coffee For Sale / Do You Steal Baby Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.