Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Challenges Of The First Born. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Challenges Of The First Born. (3944 Views)

Challenges Of A Single Mother / Which Is Better: Boy Or Girl As First-born? / Why Do People Like To Have Male Child As First Born? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of The First Born. by nobilie: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2013
Have you ever asked why you are the first in your family? Being the first in a family have lots of trouble to deal with.
As the first in a family of seven, I've lived a life of sacrifice as I hadly consider myself. I had to delay my marriage for 3yrs just for two of my siblings to be out of school. Life at a time was very hard for me, not that I couldn't take care of myself, but because of the responsibilities I inherited as a first born.
I have noticed a lot of first borns pass through stress. The painful thing is that the younger once become more successful and don't consider the efforts of the first.
So, at what time is the first born meant to hands off and face himself? .

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by Kanwulia: 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2013
Absolutely none! kiss
Efry barrrrrry for einsef o! cool
I don't come from that kind of 'family network' where stoopid responsibilities are dumped on first-born children, ONLY BECAUSE THE OPEN-NYANSH-BORN-HIARANDIA-LAZZZY-PARENTS love to give up their parental obligations!

Daddy and mommy mi, I LOVVVVVVE YOU TONS! cool
Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by Pampers: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2013
Not in all families is there a lot of burden on first borns. Burdens are usually on first borns if the parents are late or they have financial issues and he or she is the only source of livelihood for the younger siblings. In many families, first borns even enjoy most coz d parents are eager to support him to achieve in time so that he will serve as a legacy to d younger ones. Firstborns burden is not general atall. Situations are always different.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by EfemenaXY: 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2013
Being a first born has it's positives and negatives.

Positives: You get to choose first, you get a lot of attention from both parents (a hands on approach from them), very involved in all aspects of your life, and so on.

Negatives: You become the "experiment" or guinea pig of your parents. They've not had kids before and they're trying their hands out on parenting. They're usually stricter on you and less flexible. Lord help you if you're female.

~ All your friends get scrutinized.
~ You dare not bring home the opposite gender, not even to borrow / lend your SSCE Physics text books
~ Whenever you go out, you MUST be home before sunset. angry angry
~ You must be a domestic goddess. Before hitting your teenage years, you'll be well versed with cooking, cleaning, looking after babies, and maintaining the home.
~ You must do well at school. It's non-negotiable

Having said all that, the onus is on first-borns to set a good example for the younger siblings to emulate.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by Krisben4343: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
Efemena xy is right. Being first has come with lots of challenges positives and negatives. But everything bores down to the family you came from. May God help all the first born to be able to meet up with what it takes to be a leader
Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by EfemenaXY: 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2013
^^ Amen o! smiley
Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by biolabee(m): 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
Good points efe..

OP.. You have to focus on getting your siblings on their own feet or else they will still hang on your neck till later in life

On them not being grateful of your effeorts, you have to leave it to God

Even children have been known to abandon their own parents

It is well
Re: Challenges Of The First Born. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: Being a first born has it's positives and negatives.

Positives: You get to choose first, you get a lot of attention from both parents (a hands on approach from them), very involved in all aspects of your life, and so on.

Negatives: You become the "experiment" or guinea pig of your parents. They've not had kids before and they're trying their hands out on parenting. They're usually stricter on you and less flexible. Lord help you if you're female.

~ All your friends get scrutinized.
~ You dare not bring home the opposite gender, not even to borrow / lend your SSCE Physics text books
~ Whenever you go out, you MUST be home before sunset. angry angry
~ You must be a domestic goddess. Before hitting your teenage years, you'll be well versed with cooking, cleaning, looking after babies, and maintaining the home.
~ You must do well at school. It's non-negotiable

Having said all that, the onus is on first-borns to set a good example for the younger siblings to emulate.

Story of my life !!

Hard times undecided

(1) (Reply)

The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law / My Husband Wants To Kill Me With Sex / My Parent Is Having Too Much Sex...help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.