Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) (56940 Views)

10 World’s Oldest Cities (pictures) / 10 Most Popular Non-capital Cities In Nigeria / 10 Most Popular Non-capital Cities/towns In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by seaman007: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
Gbaragbara: all na wash. at the end of the time what matters is how many residents have access to potable water, electricity, good roads, personal security, health care, are employed, are paid livable wages? the rest na wash. grin what is the point in having a fanciful car but can't drive it because some alaye boys are hanging around the corner to collect it from you,huh? grin

Nice point.but knw need for all d insult
We are one family
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Austeenxx: 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
I like Tunis. wink

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Syenite(m): 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
Gbaragbara and co, please no need for all these insults. If you feel your country or capital is not well presented here you can post the best pix u have of it and we will appreciate it.
Note: I saw several views of these cities and decided to pick the best to represent each.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by lovetterrison(m): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Gbaragbara: I wonder what a country like nigeria that suffers from chronic power outages will be doing with tall buildings anyway. holy sh1t! I have my own experience to talk about walahi

can some1 pls knock dis dude the Bleep out.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by boron10(m): 5:23pm On Aug 12, 2013
Syenite: Gbaragbara and co, please no need for all these insults. If you feel your country or capital is not well presented here you can post the best pix u have of it and we will appreciate it.
Note: I saw several views of these cities and decided to pick the best to represent each.
Don't be surprised if the foolish gbaragbara comes back to hurl insult at you.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by chucky234(m): 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Beautiful cities, Algiers,Cape Town and Harare can match many European cities.
Conakry look more like Oshodi skyview while Juba look like army barracks while Abuja and Lagos lack architectural planning,poor Naija.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by dabrake(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
UNILAG > ACCRA

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by boron10(m): 5:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
chucky234: Beautiful cities, Algiers,Cape Town and Harare can match many European cities.
Conakry look more like Oshodi skyview while Juba look like army barracks while Abuja and Lagos lack architectural planning,poor Naija.
oshodi is better
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by NellyGhenghen(m): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abuja- Even though the city doesn't have much tall buildings, it still remains one of Africa's most beautiful cities and undoubtedly the most beautiful city in west Africa...and lets not forget, this city was built from the scratch by Nigerians, unlike other countries which had their cities developed by their colonial masters. (photos shown by the OP are old photos from 2004) here is what abuja looks like now..

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by NellyGhenghen(m): 5:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
more abuja..

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by phil5(m): 6:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nelly Ghenghen: Abuja- Even though the city doesn't have much tall buildings, it still remains one of Africa's most beautiful cities and undoubtedly the most beautiful city in west Africa...and lets not forget, this city was built by Nigerians, unlike other countries which had their cities developed by their colonial masters. (photos shown by the OP are old photos from 2004) here is what abuja looks like now..
dats right but we should have been better, all dis old men talking trash here y can't u guys contribute 1 sky scraper to help,abi na gost go build am 4 una. I never here say any of una give julius berger contract of 200 story building nd them refuse

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by delvinmaya(m): 6:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
@nelly, indeed,na ghengen. thanks for the recent pix. those hurling insults, surprised at you all. na wa ooooo. no constructive critisicm, na just insults and derailing tinz una day
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Sloganz: 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
I think Kenya's Nairobi skyline one of the best. shocked

[img]http://mutuamatheka.files./2010/09/nairobi-skyline_a_mutua-matheka.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by publisher(m): 6:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
Not making excuses but we must realize that most Southern African cities were built to western urban specification as early as the 1600s. The white minority rulers started building these cities when most of Nigeria was still rain forest.
Our British colonial masters did not plan cities like Lagos, Accra or Kano because they had no intention of settling here. The french on the other hand took a chance at Abidjan,cos it was seen as an extension of Paris...a french summer city.
As for Nigeria,i think our cities will get better,we should not allow clusters of fine skyscrapes fool us. Nigeria is a vast land with over 30 potentially great cities.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Syenite(m): 6:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Weldone Nelly Ghenghen. Abuja is one of the most beautiful cities in West Africa (proudly Nigerian from the Scratch). More pix of other cities please.

My brother Gbaragbara, we need more pix of Accra. Tell these Nigerians that Accra is a beautiful City. We are nt competing here though.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Truckpusher(m): 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
collins.123:
[size=18pt]BUSHES[/size]
Yes, but we are still building them ,don't come running to me to sign a petition for justice when your grandchildren get shot at for being blacks tongue cheesy
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Truckpusher(m): 6:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
Rossikk:

You're talking ignorant rubbish. ''Fanciful buildings'', (modern office buildings to the educated) are where the formal economy of any modern nation operate from. Unless you expect banks, insurance houses, accountancy firms, law firms, and other establishments to operate from your backyard or village, I suggest you keep shut.
grin
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by NellyGhenghen(m): 6:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Olumidzti: to be honest, I've not been to Harare before but I don't think it's more beautiful than Abuja..

Exactly, most people talking shit are people that have never been to Abuja before.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
The only skylines worth anything are in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

MAYBE Luanda.

The rest are sandy, sparse hot messes.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by deols(f): 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2013
The pix posted of Abuja isnt representative jorh.

And south Africa has how many capitals?
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by kinkymax: 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Reli ashamed of dis mess called nigeria. See city lik pretoria harare johanersburrg tripoli tunis cairo lik real european cities. See abuja as e dry kai notin to sho. Wh kind dwarf of africa we b sef. We re reli d 3rdworld country
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Arsenate(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abuja is a very beautiful city; serene, "spacious" and devoid of hustles and bustles associated with most cities (anyway, some refer to this feature as boring). I LOVE ABUJA dyeeeee
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by seaman007: 6:38pm On Aug 12, 2013
Syenite: Weldone Nelly Ghenghen. Abuja is one of the most beautiful cities in West Africa (proudly Nigerian from the Scratch). More pix of other cities please.

My brother Gbaragbara, we need more pix of Accra. Tell these Nigerians that Accra is a beautiful City. We are nt competing here though.

Why u like querell pass fight.
Leave d guy alone.everyone is sentiment abt his or her country
As for me ghana still make sence.i stand by my word not wit d pics but seeing it live.
The pixs might be an old pics.

As for the guy that posted abj cities.⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ i never knew abj was
That beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by arewatech(m): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oya OP replace the Abuja pictures with the new version above.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
Three capital cities: Pretoria(Tshwane), Jo'burg and Bloemfontein.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by NellyGhenghen(m): 7:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
seaman007:

Why u like querell pass fight.
Leave d guy alone.everyone is sentiment abt his or her country
As for me ghana still make sence.i stand by my word not wit d pics but seeing it live.
The pixs might be an old pics.

As for the guy that posted abj cities.⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ i never knew abj was
That beautiful.

its even more beautiful on ground!! you should visit wink

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by MrEverest(m): 7:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
Gbaragbara: Poor Ghana? and what is that supposed to mean? explain yourself quick quick
Are you still trying to say that you are not very disappointed and shocked with the Accra skyline? If you are not then you are a mediocre who is blinded by sheer destructive patriotic feeling. gosh I'm so pissed off with Accra, SMH at Ghana, even ordinary Malawi has a far beautiful, far more prosperous and far better planned capital i.e Lilongwe than the shiit hole called Accra yet you guys would always want to compare your poor country with Nigeria when in actual sense other small countries like you are far ahead in development. Ghana my foot!

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by MrEverest(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
Olumidzti: One thing people must note is that the beauty depends on the area of the city you took the pic. There're slums in Abuja. If I take the pic of a slum in Abuja & place it beside the pic of a beautiful area in Niamey, judging from there, you'll say Niamey is more beautiful but you may not be correct. You can't draw accurate conclusions from these pics.
You are wrong, very wrong! The pictures that was shown by op are the skylines of the central business districts of the respective cities i.e the most advanced parts, besides all the cities shown have got slums.

1 Like

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
those pics are not fair on lagos. Some pls put updated pics pls
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by Rossikk(m): 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by THEAMAKA(f): 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
Like someone said, most of the cities in Southern Africa and East Africa were built up by their colonial masters as far back as a couple hundred years ago, because the Europeans actually settled there, and many still live there today! (South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe etc.) So I think it's unfair to compare the two because we know aside from Abidjan, most West African "hubs" were simply hubs for the Europeans to either trade slaves, goods, etc. but not to settle there. The climate in West Africa is also different, which may be a another reason why Europeans preferred to settle in the Eastern or Southern African regions.
The French built Abidjan up to their taste and obviously the effects can still be seen today.
Another thing to note is that many West African countries got their independence long before many Southern African countries, so there was still colonial rule, therefore their governance was still being controlled by the Europeans.
By the time Lekki Free Trade Zone and Eko Atlantic City in Lagos are complete, Nigeria will definitely be known for having a world class city. The only big problem would be how to give the entire mainland a face-lift.

I think we shouldn't be too hard on Ghana and Nigeria and give them their credit where it's due. Nobody knew Lagos would become what it is today. Its just sad that instead of efforts to be made to expand the city as it was growing, funds were being embezzled. SMH.
Re: Skylines Of Africa's Capital Cities (pictures) by MrEverest(m): 7:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
Syenite: Gbaragbara and co, please no need for all these insults. If you feel your country or capital is not well presented here you can post the best pix u have of it and we will appreciate it.
Please do post the skylines of Nigeria's other cities as you promised, it may not be in this thread but do post them so we could know how far we have gone in developing other places, Nigeria does not start with Lagos and end in Abuja, lets see P.harcourt, Kano, Enugu, Ibadan, Onitsha etc. just look at South Africa, there cities show how advanced they are with there millionaire cities, Cape town, Durban, Jo'borg, pretoria etc are all world class cities and we should be comparing ourselves with them and not poor Ghana that is in the class of Afica's banana republics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears / Man's Leg Crushed In An Accident In Ajah, Begs God To Take His Life(Graphic Pix) / Kimberly Anyadike, The Youngest Female Pilot (Black)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.