Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,583 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears (56925 Views)

Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar / Sheikh Abdulganiyu Nuraini & His Aides Drown In Kwara Flood (Video) / Pastor Shedrack Bako, 4 Others Drown As Boat Capsizes In Taraba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Enculer2: 6:58pm On Mar 15
Brother and sister, 16 and nine, and their church minister father, 52, drowned in swimming pool at Spanish hotel in front of their family as inquest hears there was 'no proof' they could swim

Coroner added that there were 'slightly conflicting versions' of the tragic events
There was 'no proof' two children and their church minister father who drowned on holiday in front of the rest of their family could swim, an inquest heard.

Comfort Diya, nine, her brother, Praise-Emmanuel, 16, and their father, Gabriel, 52, all died after Comfort 'got into difficulty' in a pool at the Club La Costa World resort in Spain.

Praise-Emmanuel and Gabriel jumped in to help, while Comfort's other sister, Favour, 14, threw a lifebuoy into the water in a bid to save them, Croydon Coroner's Court heard.

Tragically, the bodies of all three family members ended up at the bottom of the pool and, despite receiving CPR, they all died 'within minutes of each other', the court was told.

Favour and heartbroken mother Olubumni Diya both witnessed the horror from the side of the pool.

Coroner John Taylor has told the court that there were 'slightly conflicting versions' of the tragic events that unfolded in the resort (pictured) around 20 miles from Malaga in southern Spain

He said: 'Some say that Comfort was in the pool and got into difficulty; some say she had difficulty getting out of the pool.

'There is no dispute that a lifebuoy was thrown to her and no dispute that her brother and father jumped in to help her.

'Mrs Diya was not able to categorically say that any of the three deceased could swim.

'She said she assumed her husband could swim because he had told stories of swimming in lakes in Nigeria and said the children were taking swimming lessons at the resort.

'But there was no proof of them being able to swim independently.

He later added in his conclusion: 'It seems clear they were not accomplished swimmers and there were references to not being able to swim - but I cannot confirm this for sure.'

The court also heard that Mrs Diya believed that there had been a fault with the pool and contacted an investigative reporter from ITN to talk about her suspicions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13201649/Girl-boy-father-drowned-swimming-pool-Spanish-hotel-no-proof-swim.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:14pm On Mar 15
A) didnt the "pastor" get a holy vision from his god that this was gonna happen?
B) pastor was so busy wasting church money going on holiday in Spain, rather than use that money to get his children/father SWIMMING LESSONS!

84 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Mindlog: 7:21pm On Mar 15
Swimming lessons are life savers.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by ednut1(m): 8:10pm On Mar 15
This happened in 2019. Seems they just concluded investigation. Sad

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Jewessgratitud3: 9:24pm On Mar 15
Why go near big water bodies when you can't swim?

The first and last time I swam in a pool was at ikeja airport hotel in the morning of that day bomb blast happened in Lagos at Oke afa. I made sure I stayed in the shallow part tlll My friends finished swimming. Even when they tried to drag me to the middle of the pool I screamed until they left me undecided

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Houseofglam7(f): 9:38pm On Mar 15
Sad 😔

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by thesicilian: 9:39pm On Mar 15
It is smarter and more helpful to shout for help than to jump into the pool when you don't know how to swim.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by R0LL0N(m): 9:58pm On Mar 15
2019 verdict

8 Likes

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by tobenuel(m): 9:59pm On Mar 15
nnv
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Regardless: 10:00pm On Mar 15
Nigerians don't take swimming lessons seriously.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Newyorkitis(m): 10:01pm On Mar 15
Wow! This is shocking! Painful to watch your loved ones di.eing and there's nothing you can do about it.
May their souls rest in perfect peace. Amen.

26 Likes

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Chikel20000(m): 10:03pm On Mar 15
MrBrownJay1:
A) didnt the "pastor" get a holy vision from his god that this was gonna happen?
B) pastor was so busy wasting church money going on holiday in Spain, rather than use that money to get his children/father SWIMMING LESSONS!
just shut up

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by NoSmoking: 10:06pm On Mar 15
I don't swim
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Reelmii: 10:06pm On Mar 15
Wow..if you cant swim,, avoid any water bodies....except ur bucket of water in the bathroom...

Dont even try to fill a bath tub and say u want to soak ur body in it..like some people do

People still get drowned in bath tub..

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Eniolohunda: 10:07pm On Mar 15
God have mercy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Pastoshizzy(m): 10:08pm On Mar 15
satan get power sha (always on guard 🥊). But then all power belongs JESUS.
Don't mess with the lucifer.
Pastor wey go flex with hin family, satan don arrange demons.
Pastors dey and 'men of God' dem dey. If you go Bible School graduate you be Pastor but if God has warned against events to happen to a 'beloved' through the regular communication channel... na that one be 'man of God' konfam.

May the departed souls rest in peace.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by kelvincoke(m): 10:09pm On Mar 15
So painful

2 Likes

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by TheRealOwner(m): 10:11pm On Mar 15
I remember this case. It's so sad watching your family member die right in front of you, talk less of 3 at once. Ah.

Message to the men.

Please don't let "masculinity" and societal expectations push you into making decisions you are not ready for or try to do things you know you can't do or do well enough. In this case, the other sister was the one who that did the second most sensible thing, throwing a life buoy into the pool.

The best decision would have been to get a security guard or pool assistant quickly. Now 3 people are dead because 2 tried to save one that is already drowning.

I'm not blaming anyone for their deaths but this outcome was preventable. I don't know what I'll have done if I was in the same situation as the father or brother sha.

The entire world has moved on and the lives of the mum and other sister have been changed forever in so many ways. May the dead rest in peace

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by fuck419: 10:12pm On Mar 15
MrBrownJay1:

If that man and his kids make it to Heaven, they're better than the living.

15 Likes

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by PaulH07: 10:12pm On Mar 15
Mindlog:
Swimming lessons are life savers.

abeg where pesin fit even learn swimming for this Lagos sef?

4 Likes

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by bassdow: 10:14pm On Mar 15
f
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by bassdow: 10:14pm On Mar 15
[quote author=bassdow post=128950627][/quote]
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Offpoint1: 10:14pm On Mar 15
No life guard at the pool?

90% of Nigerians can't swim, the 10% are those who grew up in riverine area, almost impossible to see any Nigerian who grew up in a city who can swim.

I love the Americans for one thing, bike riding and swimming is something they don't play with. Most of their kids learn those within their 1-5 years of age.

Lesson: Whether you can swim or not, never jumped into any water body to rescue anyone unless you've been trained for it. A drowning person is naturally desperate and will go down with you. Swimming is no jokes, energy you burn while running for 30 minutes, is what you burned for just 30 seconds of swimming

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by youngrhosy(m): 10:14pm On Mar 15
RIP
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Enemyofpeace: 10:15pm On Mar 15
Another georgement day
Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by Raylight2(m): 10:16pm On Mar 15
If you don't know how to swim, your only business with water is to bath, wash and drink. Never test its depth. The first time I got on a boat was my last time except it becomes absolutely necessary. Not without a live jacket.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by LordIsaac(m): 10:16pm On Mar 15
I pray a time wouldn’t come in your life when you would wish you were poor! I don’t know why I dislike pool. I pass by it daily bereft of the temptation to dive in.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by FILEBE(m): 10:18pm On Mar 15
The dance of a mad Man is fun to watch by non relatives.

I seldom wonder how people read about the misfortunes and tragedies of their loved ones online and the comments that follow.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by 2mch(m): 10:19pm On Mar 15
Even an expert swimmer can drown rescuing someone who is panicked.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears by ZombiePUNISHER: 10:20pm On Mar 15
undecided

No pastor can come from that side

what they have are pulpit bandits and business men

look at Adeboye for instance
A man who protested severally against Jonathan..

today he's no where to be found because the president is from his tribe...

RIP to the dead

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man's Leg Crushed In An Accident In Ajah, Begs God To Take His Life(Graphic Pix) / Couple On Power Bike Killed With One Other After Fatal Accident. Graphic Photos / Kimberly Anyadike, The Youngest Female Pilot (Black)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.