Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment (29833 Views)

Mavin’s Korede Bello Lied About His Age - Clem Ogus / Mario Balotelli Banned And Fined For Racist Comment / Burnaboy Allegedly Assaults A Salesgirl In Port-Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by slinkman(m): 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
The sales assistant who refused to show U.S. talkshow billionaire Oprah Winfrey a luxuryhandbag costing nearly £25,000 claims the superstar lied about what happened in the luxury Swiss boutique where she works.

Winfrey was in Switzerland in July when she walked into the Trois Pommes boutique in Zurich looking for a handbag to match the outfit she was going to wear to old friend Tina Turner’s wedding.She claims the sales assistant refused to show
her the black crocodile leather bag because – seeing a black woman – she automatically assumed she would not be able
to afford it.

Now the saleslady has hit back, speaking anonymously to Sunday newspaper SonntagsBlick, she said ‘I wasn’t sure what I should present to her she came in on the afternoon of Saturday July 20 so I showed her some bags from the Jennifer Aniston collection.
‘I explained to her the bags came in different sizes and materials, like I always do. ‘She looked at a frame behind me. Far above there was the 35,000 Swiss franccrocodile leather bag. ‘I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags.

The black bag Oprah wanted to (store owner) ‘It is absolutely not true that I declined to show her the bag on racist grounds. I even asked her if she wanted to look at the bag. ’She looked around the store again but didn’t say anything
else. Then she went with her companion to the lower floor. My colleague saw them to the door. They were not even in the
store for five minutes.’ She emphatically denied ever saying to Winfrey: ‘You don’t want to see this bag. It is too
expensive. You cannot afford it.’ ’This is not true. This is absurd. I would never say something like that to a customer. Really never. Good manners and politeness are the Alpha and the Omega in this business. ‘I don’t know why she is making these accusations. She is so powerful and I am just a shop girl.

‘I didn’t hurt anyone. I don’t know why someone as great as her must cannibalize me on TV. ‘If it had all taken place as she claimed, why has she not complained the next day at the wedding of Tina Turner with Trudie Goetz, my boss? She was there also at the Turner wedding as a guest. I don’t understand it.

‘I spoke to Oprah Winfrey in English. My English is okay but not excellent, unfortunately. ‘I didn’t know who she was
when she came into the store. That wouldn’t have made any difference if I had. ‘We work really hard to greet all the people who come into the store with the same level of respect and treat them all equally. ‘If someone asks me whether he
or she can see an article, I always present these. Because that person is a potential buyer. And my job is to sell it.
‘I’m glad if I can sell an article. It is a reward for me, if I can sell a nice piece. This means that I’m good at my job.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389798/Oprah-Winfrey-branded-liar-Swiss-sales-assistant-racist-handbag-row.html

Who do we believe now?

4 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by slinkman(m): 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
i think i believe d sales gal...

16 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Arosa(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
So Oprah is now a liar. while the sales girl from a racist country is telling the truth.

18 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Marytess(f): 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
i think oprah wanna make noise.

6 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by skales(m): 8:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Booked

1 Like

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
why do we blacks always play the racist card?How is this racist? Not really sure why race always has to be the issue. Did she say, "No, it is too expensive because you aren't white?" That word is used waaaay too often when certain people don't get what they want. Perhaps Oprah was acting like she was "all that" and got offended that this employee had no clue who she is.

Oprah has obviously never watched the film Pretty Woman. One scene is of Julia Roberts trying to buy her first set of expensive clothes; On walking into a Beverley Hills store the two haughty saleswomen refuse to tell her the price of dresses and say they are too expensive for her. They assume by her dress she has little money. I wonder what Oprah was wearing when she went into the shop she is complaining about. Not all insults are down to racism Oprah.

14 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by gramci: 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
Marytess: i think oprah wanna make noise.

so you fell for this "white lye"

25 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by gramci: 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
ROSYL: why do we blacks always play the racist card?

pray you don't fall victim

22 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by obowunmi(m): 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oprah wants everyone to watch the movie... Operah, she's a business woman. She doesn't care about black folks like that, woman want you to watch her movie, the Butler.

2 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by HezronLorraine(m): 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oprah obviously blew her horns for sure.the sales-girl is only being sympathetic.both added cream and butter to their stories,but tell me how can the sales-girl beat the media queen on this.she aint stand a chance.

1 Like

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
The lady looks racist. No offense.

By their looks you shall know them angry

If not, wy did she emphasize on the price while telling her about the *** crocodile piece.

24 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Joycelyntee366(f): 10:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
There is more to dis TORY!

2 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by demelza: 10:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
Pls dont tell me that black bag she is holding is the cause of all this hullabaloo?
What a hideous and ugly bag!

13 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Afam4eva(m): 11:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
It's only people who are insecure that see racism in every action. If i'm white, i can't quarrel with my black friend in order not to be called a racist. If i'm white i can't make fun of my black friend cos i don't wanna be called racists, so i have to watch what i say and how i say. That's how Tiger Woods was angry that his fellow golfer said something about Chicken and the guy had to apologize. These black people should wit playing the race card all the time. At times i even pity some of these white people. Dem don suffer no be small.

5 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by fr3do(m): 11:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
Flimsy excuses
she's racist
That's final

13 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by NellyGhenghen(m): 11:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
More like sales [/s]girl[s] grandma grin grin grin
Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
and the story goes on..
we were not dia so we dnt kow who is telling the truth

1 Like

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by curiouslad(m): 12:16am On Aug 13, 2013
People who feel offended by supposed "racial" abuses are the cause of the prevalence of such

So she told you you can't afford it, why not show her you can if you can
That's one less "racist" to deal with

People really need to work on their self esteem.

Yes I'm BLACK!!!
BLACK!!! What you gonna do bout it

5 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by GooseBaba: 4:29am On Aug 13, 2013
curiouslad: People who feel offended by supposed "racial" abuses are the cause of the prevalence of such

So she told you you can't afford it, why not show her you can if you can
That's one less "racist" to deal with

People really need to work on their self esteem.

Yes I'm BLACK!!!
BLACK!!! What you gonna do bout it

Let me get your logic. In order for Oprah to squash one racist she has to spend 25k just to show that she has the money, even if she does not like the bag..?

Yes you are black but your head no correct !!! You damn right I said it.!!

19 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Enoquin(f): 4:43am On Aug 13, 2013
undecided so, if Oprah said "can, I see that bag?" what stopped the sales girlwoman from saying "oh, certainly!"
I don't think it's the racist card though even though it has a tiny bit of racism to it like how much does a black woman earn anyways? Still, it could have happened to any white poorly dressed woman... tongue

5 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by druid06(m): 5:50am On Aug 13, 2013
To solve this problem, a surveilance footage of the store precisely at the moment where Oprah walked into the store till when she left should be displayed for the world to see. I think Oprah is absolutely right on this one. The sales girl and the company she works for are liars and they just used this recent crisis as a publicity stunt.

2 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by druid06(m): 5:50am On Aug 13, 2013
To solve this problem, a surveilance footage of the store precisely at the moment where Oprah walked into the store till when she left should be displayed for the world to see. I think Oprah is absolutely right on this one. The sales girl and the company she works for are liars and they just used this recent crisis as a marketting strategy.

1 Like

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by IAMBREEZY: 6:02am On Aug 13, 2013
Ok we have heard
Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by 3ace(m): 6:52am On Aug 13, 2013
‘I didn’t know who she was
when she came into the store.
This could be a possibility that she was guilty. But having said that, no one can really know what actually transpired between both of them. I know some blacks always quickly assumes any treatment from white is racism but they shouldn't blame us. They started it by inculcating that consciousness in us.

1 Like

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Chanchit: 7:04am On Aug 13, 2013
Opera should just shut up. What d sales girl did was understandable, you knw how women are, they want to prize everything even when they know they are not gonna buy. Can you bring down a N5m bag for everybody that wants to see it..? Did Opera insist on seeing the bag..? She should just shut up and stop crying foul.

4 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by NSNA: 8:05am On Aug 13, 2013
African Americans seem to take it to seriously when it comes to racism

If you are looking for it you will find it.

Live in the present!
Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Nomski0(f): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2013
Chanchit: Opera should just shut up. What d sales girl did was understandable, you knw how women are, they want to prize everything even when they know they are not gonna buy. Can you bring down a N5m bag for everybody that wants to see it..? Did Opera insist on seeing the bag..? She should just shut up and stop crying foul.
In any sales store, irrespective of your colour sales people access you before concluding on what you can afford. Its general, in Dubai sales people see Nigerian customers as good buyers cause the ones that buy spend enough money. Its not a racist thing. As someone rightly mentioned it happened in pretty woman to Julia Roberts. Oprah is one of the richest women in the world, she could have easily bought that bag to prove the sales girl wrong(that is if the girl's comment was really racist) and maybe sell it online if she really didnt like it

3 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by chreldb(m): 9:32am On Aug 13, 2013
Maybe it was all just a big misunderstanding due to miscommunication. Probably the way the woman expressed herself in English to Oprah could be regarded as racist but that might not have been her intention. After all English is not her first language. Just saying. BTW is she a sales girl or sales woman?
Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Sweetlemon(f): 10:10am On Aug 13, 2013
ROSYL: why do we blacks always play the racist card?How is this racist? Not really sure why race always has to be the issue. Did she say, "No, it is too expensive because you aren't white?" That word is used waaaay too often when certain people don't get what they want. Perhaps Oprah was acting like she was "all that" and got offended that this employee had no clue who she is.

Oprah has obviously never watched the film Pretty Woman. One scene is of Julia Roberts trying to buy her first set of expensive clothes; On walking into a Beverley Hills store the two haughty saleswomen refuse to tell her the price of dresses and say they are too expensive for her. They assume by her dress she has little money. I wonder what Oprah was wearing when she went into the shop she is complaining about. Not all insults are down to racism Oprah.

God bless you! We black people really need to get over themselves, it's getting boring really. Even here in Nigeria when you walk into an upper class store, the assistants give you a thorough look before attending to you. Oprah might have looked very ordinary that day and not everyone in the world knows who Oprah Winfrey is!

2 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Kizuba: 10:11am On Aug 13, 2013
Oprah would not be making the claim if nothing had happened, why would she want to tarnish a poor girl's reputation?
The girl obviously made the comments without realising that it was ophrah winfrey and later on she has to tell a story to cover up.

We now one thing is certain, she will NEVER do it again;

that is how white people like to make fools of us, they want to turn every rasict situation into a situation that looks as if the black person is paranoid, it is an old trick. am sure if you ask british people whether John Terry is rasict they will tell u NO, as if we are all paranoid

15 Likes

Re: 'Oprah Lied" - Salesgirl Accused Of Racist Comment by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 13, 2013
Oprah has always had issues. Right now her network is struggling and she misses the attension.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Davido Disburses N237m To 424 Orphanages Across Nigeria Through His Foundation / Gogo Ombo, Nollywood Actor Is Dead! / Teebillz Reacts To Harrysong's Depression Saga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.