Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International (2244 Views)

Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / Lagos IGR Now 75% Of State Budget...And IGR of each State / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 8:19am On Aug 13, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Absolute rubbish. cities transform by lifting inhabitants out of poverty, creating opportunities that will lift the poor out of poverty not forced transformation into megacity. Fashola thinks by alienating the poor from Lagos, Lagos will turn to new York, London etc. lol. leader indeed! and 80% of these poor are yorubas btw.
Where do you guys keep getting these your statistics from??

People just keep pouring in and he must lift them all out of poverty?? Is he Jesus performing mass miracles??

The fact that under his Administration, not a lot of Nigerian cities can touch some Local Govts in Lagos says a lot about his efforts.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by FreeGlobe(f): 8:21am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: By the time you look up from your Laptops and smart-phones, Fashola would have commissioned another project.
I guess these projects being commissioned are all situated in Mars right?

1 Like

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 13, 2013

The report called on Lagos authorities to halt the forced evictions aimed at bringing order to the chaotic and crowded metropolis which is home to about 15 million people.
“The Lagos State government has violated
the right to adequate housing of the
residents of Badia East by failing to put in place any of the legal safeguards required under the international law, prior to evicting thousands of the residents.

Government should build affordable houses for people that most of them either live on less than a dollar per day or wretchedly poor ? shocked shocked I just wonder if most of these people talking think that the lagos state government is a charitable organization.

Why should these people live in slums all in the name of they must live in Lagos ? They either upgrade their lives or go back to wherever they emigrate from !
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: I thought this thread was developed so we can share our point of views but it seems its just another political smear campaign against Fashola.

I'll love to hear what your Governors are doing about "The poor".

By the time you look up from your Laptops and smart-phones, Fashola would have commissioned another project.

Sit there and criticize him while your regions continue to wallow in obscurity. So busy bending over to see Fashola's ars*hole they forget theirs is wide open.

You can create another thread about any governor you wish to criticise..

As long as this thread exist.. We will continue to talk about the fraudulent slogan "eko o ni baje" targeted to edify the poor in Lagos..

5 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 8:24am On Aug 13, 2013
FreeGlobe:
I guess these projects being commissioned are all situated in Mars right?
Only the blind can't see when its right in front of them.....are you blind??
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by FreeGlobe(f): 8:26am On Aug 13, 2013
acidosis™:

As long as this thread exist.. We will continue to talk about the fraudulent slogan "eko o ni baje" targeted to edify the poor in Lagos..
cheesy cheesy cheesy
some people are not comfortable with the truth staring them directly into their eyeballs

2 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 8:27am On Aug 13, 2013
acidosis™:

So you're now an advocate for the poor all over Nigeria or just Lagos alone??

You better adopt a Nationwide stance because anything less than that reeks of an attempt at cheap Political points.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 13, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Government should build affordable houses for people that most of them either live on less than a dollar per day or wretchedly poor ? shocked shocked I just wonder if most of these people talking think that the lagos state government is a charitable organization.

Why should these people live in slums all in the name of they must live in Lagos ? They either upgrade their lives or go back to wherever they emigrate from !

Shut up there!!
Some of those living in these slums are indigenes of Lagos state..

2 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: Only the blind can't see when its right in front of them.....are you blind??

Sir,

There is a big difference between Laws & Projects..

From my observations:

Lagos projects are targeted at the RICH

While the laws are made to make life difficult for the POOR

5 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2013
acidosis™:

Sir,

There is a big difference between Laws & Projects..

From my observations:

Lagos projects are targeted at the RICH

While the laws are made to make life difficult for the POOR
Who are the hands that execute these projects?? The rich initiate them and the poor are used to execute them.

Those laws were put in place to check the menace the poor were becoming. We shouldn't let them ruin everything because they're "poor".
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 9:05am On Aug 13, 2013
In order for there to be progress, some people have to be left behind.

Imagine someone on the thread on the new mode of advertisement saying that "why explore new modern modes of advertsement in the midst of all this poverty"?? We can't keep ignoring their short comings because they're poor.

It due to that that we now have mega slums, stoopid danfo drivers, dangerous Okada riders, people sleeping under the bridges when they would have been better off in their villages living in a hut and making a decent living farming.

This thread is a reflection of Nigeria, not just Lagos. Other cities are no different. Okadas were banned in Lagos, okadas were banned in countless Nigerian cities, Lagos deports destitutes, other cities deport destitutes too, Approximately 75 percent of Lagosians live in slums.....Approximately 75 percent of Nigerians are poor......see any pattern??
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by deeptesting(m): 9:33am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: Are these posters above me really concerned about the poor living in Lgos slums??....Or they just want to poke fun and feel all righteous??

Well, it doesn't stop the fact that when told to post positive developments and locations in their home states, they'll struggle to fill a page while Lagos will probably run for over 10.

You all better know that a large number of your people constitute the occupants of those slums and them returning home will do the LASG a big favour so that they can demolish what they left behind and replace it with housing estates.

SMH at how they leave their villages to come expand the slums in Lagos, this is exactly what Fashola is trying to stop and they're busy screaming "He's anti-people" only to come back and laff at the slums they help create.

I am referring to your post because I believe you are also pointing fingers at me because my comment came before yours, now the issue is not about been happy seeing people living in slums,if they have a choice I believe no one wants to stay or live in slums...Don't forget majority of people in Ijora slums are Yorubas except you have not been there...You don't rob Peter to pay Paul, the slums will be demolished rebuilt and sold to the rich. Go and check the millennium estates built by Bola Ahmed Tinubu, they are beyond the reach of the common man. What amnesty has called for is an adequate compensation ( to enable these people resettle in their villages as you have suggested) or relocation of this HUMANS not animals to a more befitting government housing Estate . When has poverty become a crime? Bros, I don't want to be angry this early Tuesday morning please.

3 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 13, 2013
MOST CITIES IN NIGERIA DO HAVE SLUM BUT SOME OF THE E TOUTS HAVE TRIED TO PAINT A PERFECT PICTURE OF LAGOS JUST BECAUSE OF SENTIMENT FASHOLA IS REALLY TRYING AND THE TRUTH IS DAT HE DID NOT HATE ANY TRIBE BUT HIS LAST ACTION OF DEPORTATION AND IMPRISONMENT IS BAD AND ILLADVISED.I WISH NIGERIAN YOUTHS LIKE ME WILL JUST GROW UP
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by taharqa: 10:28am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: Are these posters above me really concerned about the poor living in Lgos slums??....Or they just want to poke fun and feel all righteous??

Well, it doesn't stop the fact that when told to post positive developments and locations in their home states, they'll struggle to fill a page while Lagos will probably run for over 10.

You all better know that a large number of your people constitute the occupants of those slums and them returning home will do the LASG a big favour so that they can demolish what they left behind and replace it with housing estates.

SMH at how they leave their villages to come expand the slums in Lagos, this is exactly what Fashola is trying to stop and they're busy screaming "He's anti-people" only to come back and laff at the slums they help create.
Oh! SHUT ya mouth tha, my frnd. You usuali post sensible comments on NL, but there are few times where it seem you miss a nolt smwhere in ya head.....@topic, d Lagos State Govt has a history of bn Anti-poor. Its a CONSISTENT history. No surprises tha. Though, I disagree with d data that suggests 70% of Lagos is Slum. That's not possible...
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by activeguy: 10:37am On Aug 13, 2013
O.D.B.:

Now you are blaming other tribes for the squalid condition of Lagos. Yorubas are privately and publicly dirty. check out ibadan and other yoruba states

You 've just hit the mace on the head!!
But its really true...they are the dirtiest tribe.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by malc619(m): 10:43am On Aug 13, 2013
Interesting... This is one more reason why Fashola must continue to reunite destitutes with their families.

cool

1 Like

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by homesteady(m): 10:46am On Aug 13, 2013
O.D.B.:

Now you are blaming other tribes for the squalid condition of Lagos. Yorubas are privately and publicly dirty. check out ibadan and other yoruba states
FreeGlobe:
lol. #fact

I wanted to say you are lying, but I checked google, and google told me it is true! gringringrin

3 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 10:59am On Aug 13, 2013
taharqa: Oh! SHUT ya mouth tha, my frnd. You usuali post sensible comments on NL, but there are few times where it seem you miss a nolt smwhere in ya head.....@topic, d Lagos State Govt has a history of bn Anti-poor. Its a CONSISTENT history. No surprises tha. Though, I disagree with d data that suggests 70% of Lagos is Slum. That's not possible...
The poor have their excesses and they need to be curtailed. They have been allowed to overun the environment in the past without being touched....."Because they're poor".

I didn't drive today, I walked from Jibowu to Yaba and some of the poor i saw will be better off in their villages.

When a "poor" man sees a large body of water, he sees a refuse bin and a toilet while those not poor see beauty and a place of relaxation they'd pay to live by. Its the same way the poor view the environment around them.

I'm against total segregation of them but they should still be checks and balances in place to curtail their excesses.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by deeptesting(m): 11:05am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: The poor have their excesses and they need to be curtailed. They have been allowed to overun the environment in the past without being touched....."Because they're poor".

I didn't drive today, I walked from Jibowu to Yaba and some of the poor i saw will be better off in their villages.

When a "poor" man sees a large body of water, he sees a refuse bin and a toilet while those not poor see beauty and a place of relaxation they'd pay to live by. Its the same way the poor view the environment around them.

I'm against total segregation of them but they should still be checks and balances in place to curtail their excesses.

Just as we have material poverty we also have mental poverty....Now you know the group where you belong, tell me what should be done to that group because they also constitute public nuisance both to our physical environment and public forums like NL.

2 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

Just as we have material poverty we also have mental poverty....Now you know the group where you belong, tell me what should be done to that group because they also constitute public nuisance both to our physical environment and public forums like NL.
I supervise construction sites so i make sure i employ them....only if they're skilled. If they have a skill and they're good at it, I use them as my constant workers in any site i'm on. I have workers i'v been using for years now.

They must have a skill for me to help them and if they don't, I hire them as site labourers. If they obtain skills and people related to their area of specialization hire them, they'll be less poor on the streets.

We all have a part to play, not just the Government. The educational system isn't helping too when they train people to be job seekers not job creators.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by deeptesting(m): 11:25am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man: I supervise construction sites so i make sure i employ them....only if they're skilled. If they have a skill and they're good at it, I use them as my constant workers in any site i'm on. I have workers i'v been using for years now.

They must have a skill for me to help them and if they don't, I hire them as site labourers. If they obtain skills and people related to their area of specialization hire them, they'll be less poor on the streets.

We all have a part to play, not just the Government. The educational system isn't helping too when they train people to be job seekers not job creators.

Mr. Man I have only said you belong to the group of mental poverty.....Live and let those of material poverty live.

4 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 11:34am On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

Mr. Man I have only said you belong to the group of mental poverty.....Live and let those of material poverty live.
You think you "know" but you really don't. Your learning hasn't even started yet.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Yeske2(m): 11:50am On Aug 13, 2013
Fash again, just providing an alternative for them isn't much to ask for instead of exposing them to the elements. He's used to it anyway.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by doncaster(m): 11:53am On Aug 13, 2013
ba7man:

I didn't drive today, I walked from Jibowu to Yaba and some of the poor i saw will be better off in their village
. What if those poor people are in their village already? Or are jibowu people all rich?

1 Like

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by talktimi(m): 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
doncaster: . What if those poor people are in their village already? Or are jibowu people all rich?
jibowu people are originally from upper iweka in onitsha. They should go back home
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fresh Air. Eko ti Baje O... embarassed
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by iresearcher(m): 12:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
A lot of people on this thread are so deluded. You are always crying for the poor yet
any opportunity you have to better their lots, you turn your eyes away.

The question I have always asked is; who owns the land?
Do you erect a structure on what is not yours and claim poverty.
Has anybody come to your fathers village with Tipper to level your
home and the world is not supporting you to fight.

Again,shanties and slums harbor the greatest no of criminals.You cant eat your
cake and have it.

It is the duty of these country reps to make noise because that is the
only way they can get funding. Make no noise, make no dollars.

Dont support evil because you dont like someones face.
I guess if the slum sites were your fathers property, you would
dash it to the poor because they would always be with you.

Ignorance is indeed bliss
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by naijaswag1: 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
With a single action, he pulled the rug off his feet to reveal the dirt hidden in the rug.
He is being heckled from all sides. Not only his countrymen but the international community have reminded him of what a Holy Man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
He did it to himself, it was not an anti-party gang up. The spiral effect of his singular action has destroyed some people's political ambition somewhere in the SE. He cannot even venture that zone because he will be deported on arrival, maybe he will never campaign there when he hopes to run for presidency.
He forgot the fundamentals of being a public figure.
The over 90% of poor people in this country now regard him as their enemy because he will not fail to displace them if he has his way in other to build mega cities.
If he becomes president, he will banish everyone who does not have a job, everyone who is poor to the countryside so he could build mega cities.
In Fact he hates national integration.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by 4Play(m): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
I keep saying Nigeria is full of savages. In civilised countries, spending per capita on the poor exceeds spending per capita on the richer demographic. In Nigeria, it's the reverse. The Governor is lauded for projects which have minimal impact on the lives of most of the inhabitants of the state.

The mark of a civilised society is how it treats its weakest members. In a state of 15 million, simply detaining and relocating the poor is not the most well thought out anti-poverty policy. If you deport 72 every couple of months, I bet at least 72 babies are born to the poorest or most destitute households in a couple of hours in that state.

2 Likes

Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by basilo101: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
I have been telling them that all those high rise by multinationals and FG is not real development. Economic empowerment of the ppl through SME is what will bring real development.
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by ba7man(m): 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
iresearcher: A lot of people on this thread are so deluded. You are always crying for the poor yet
any opportunity you have to better their lots, you turn your eyes away.

The question I have always asked is; who owns the land?
Do you erect a structure on what is not yours and claim poverty.
Has anybody come to your fathers village with Tipper to level your
home and the world is not supporting you to fight.

Again,shanties and slums harbor the greatest no of criminals.You cant eat your
cake and have it.

It is the duty of these country reps to make noise because that is the
only way they can get funding. Make no noise, make no dollars.

Dont support evil because you dont like someones face.
I guess if the slum sites were your fathers property, you would
dash it to the poor because they would always be with you.

Ignorance is indeed bliss
Thank you!!!....I've been away but I'v managed to pay two people money for the service they rendered me and i refered one for another job.

3 people will smile home to their families because of me today and i thank God for being able to affect people with the opportunities i receive. I am only able to help the poor if they have a skill.

They only advocate online for the poor to feel righteous. Very sentimental lot, I try to be logical in all my dealings not emotional. Ask them what they've done for the poor today and I'm sure the answer is "Nothing".
Re: 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International by JudiciumDei: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
FASHOLA is simply renovating roads and nothing more. He has failed in other areas of governance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Leads APC In Niger State Senatorial Bye-election As INEC Says Inconclusive / Fear Grips Presidency, PDP Over Buhari’s Declaration Rally / Ngige Paid Reverend Father Mbaka N850million To Join Apc Campaign Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.