Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? (6526 Views)

8 Things You Should Never Do For A Lover You’ve Not Married / Why Are You Not Married Yet / I Am On Nairaland To Find A Husband. Month Of June And Still Not Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 29, 2006
Sup guyz, i want to ask this question cos i've been making research about it. Please tell me why are some successful sister not married? Is it their fault as in they dont want a man to control their life when they are married or the fault of the men, their ego thing; Do the men have that "i-dont-want-her-to-earn-more-than-i-do" thing in them so they tend to leave the sister unmarried.

Holla back.

Chao
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Hotstepper(f): 5:39pm On May 29, 2006
sum men gat inferior complex that they don't want a lady that is way successful than he is PERIOD
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Seun(m): 6:44pm On May 29, 2006
sum men gat inferior complex that they don't want a lady that is way successful than he is PERIOD
Well they wouldn't be thay way if their mamas didn't submit to condescending treatment from their fathers. having observed their parents, they have concluded that men are supposed to dominate women, and they can't be happy if they are with a woman who has ambitions of her own. Mothers should step up and reorient their boys. angry
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 29, 2006
Seun u are right, i must agree with u on that.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Hotstepper(f): 6:58pm On May 29, 2006
that I know datz why i said wat i said so I don't blame da ladies if they r single cuz the world has changed
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 29, 2006
But babe, dont forget that some ladies become arrogant immediately they start earning more than their fiancee' or boyfriend, and its always bad if the guy doesnt even have any job!
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by lunafish(f): 7:12pm On May 29, 2006
When you have success; you need someone to meet your match to make a power couple. A lot of successful guys marry "normal" girls.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by babwilms(m): 7:46pm On May 29, 2006
All you've said are all possibilities. Mind you:

1) Some of them has no manners
2) They've got issues
3) No home training
4) Arrogant, not humble
5) Some of them might have dated a guy who was suppose to be their husband as a boyfriend. Thats messed up.
5) Some are too westernized, no submission, 50-50 idea and many more.

In my opinion, any reasonable man will run away from any lady be it successful or unsuccesful with the problems listed above
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Seun(m): 7:58pm On May 29, 2006
<sarcasm>
Some of them has no manners
She doesn't readily kneel down properly when serving me food.

They've got issues
When I treat her bad, she gets angry. As if a woman has that right.

No home training
When I say, "get me some food" she insists on hearing the word "please".

Arrogant, not humble
She won't accept the fact that my broke-ass self has the right to give her orders.

Some of them might have dated a guy who was suppose to be their husband as a boyfriend. Thats messed up
He never supported her dreams and she caught him cheating on her. So what?

Some are too westernized, no submission, 50-50 idea and many more.
She thinks she's not inferior to me. What a lame joke!
</sarcasm>
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by babwilms(m): 8:25pm On May 29, 2006
@seun. First why would you want to talk to or treat your woman the way you stated as a sensible man.

Believe it or not, until this unmarried successful or unsuccesful women fail to address their inner issues, they will stay unmarried or fail to get a responsible man.

I'm not denying the fact that some men do not have their own issues as well. Some men don't treat their women right. I've seen succesfull women raising their hand to hit their husband to be, because of a slight misunderstanding. Now tell me as a man wouldn't you run for your life.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Bright2(m): 8:27pm On May 29, 2006
They took their time screaning men,making option 2 de one of higher class, forgeting that de real men for marriage doesn't xpose their class,it is de dubious men dat does xpose their high class 2 achieve wat they want easily.B/4 some ladies will realise dis,alot of time has been waisted which might have taken her 2 her late age,many are called but few are chosen,2 me it depend on how dey make their choice initially.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by hotangel2(f): 10:02pm On May 29, 2006
70% of the reason come from the guys.

They don't wanna marry a lady that is more successful than they are.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by desiree(f): 10:38pm On May 29, 2006
The inferiority complex comes from various areas Looks, family background, education and personal income. Only a strong minded guy would over look all those things as long as the girl gives you the love and respect you deserve.

Yeah, successful women don’t get married because they are too busy being SUCCESSFUL…duh!!!
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by LadyB(f): 3:24am On May 30, 2006
well , i believe it is a cultural thing. particularly with nigerians.

it is a misconception. not every successful ladies is pround and one that see herself as equal to her man, with all this women liberation bull shit.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by dachosen1(f): 6:27am On May 30, 2006
because some sister r too busy tryin to keep there success successful. they feel that getting married might get in the way of their success. i used to think that also until i had a change of mind. dont get me wrong i'm not married not reay for yet. and i aint successful just yet. im in the makin of it and now i dont think a man would get in the way of that.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by ontop(m): 3:57pm On May 30, 2006
desiree:

The inferiority complex comes from various areas Looks, family background, education and personal income. Only a strong minded guy would over look all those things as long as the girl gives you the love and respect you deserve.

Yeah, successful women don’t get married because they are too busy being SUCCESSFUL…duh!!!

I dont consider it a success for a woman who is not married no matter your level of material possession, education, family background and social status.

The impression I got about an un married lady when she is due is inability to be submissive to a man.

It is irritating to see women who refuses to bow to the authority of men.

Men are the crown of women.

When you are due for marriage and you are not married it is just like a king without a crown.

I am speaking to the highly selective ladies who are waiting for MR PERFECT.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Hotstepper(f): 4:50pm On May 30, 2006
is there really a MR OR MS. RIGHT? i don't think so, u have to find sum qualities and overlook others cuz noone is perfect but works 2wards perfection which she/he will neva get dere, lol
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Rhodalyn(f): 4:50pm On May 30, 2006
Cuz the cowards[men] are scared to propose to them embarassed grin cheesy embarassed cheesy embarassed
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Idekeson(m): 5:01pm On May 30, 2006
ontop:

I don't consider it a success for a woman who is not married no matter your level of material possession, education, family background and social status.

The impression I got about an un married lady when she is due is inability to be submissive to a man.

When you are due for marriage and you are not married it is just like a king without a crown.

I can't believe you're able to access the internet despite your level of ignorance.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by eveseh(f): 5:15pm On May 30, 2006
they dont want to married yet,they wanna enjoy life abit grin cool
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by kimba(m): 5:29pm On May 30, 2006
hhmmm

many successful sisters who dont want to get married coz the success has gotten into their head. Its like this: they want things to be extra perfect, so that and just in case they finally agree to marry somebody, at least if the relationship doesnt work out, they could have something to fall back on,

a lot of successful brodas who decide not to get married too, so maybe birds of the same feather should find themselves and begin to flock together.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by ikamefa(f): 5:31pm On May 30, 2006

[quote][/quote]

shocked can;t believe i am reading this @ontop that was arrant nonsense/ crap/ bullshit.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by dayopaul: 5:56pm On May 30, 2006
the main reason is that most successful women dont know how to manage a relationship . they feel they can use the same professional /academic skills for a relationship . My successful lady out there , the truth is that in a relationship it is a completely different ball game . when ever u are with ur man , forget about the office completely, forget about ur status completely and behave like a very young girl just falling in love a new .

Men love to have attention , they love being in charge , the major truth is that an average real man whats to be a boss somewhere . if he can not be the president , if he can not be the boss in his office , if he can not be a senator at least he want to be the boss in his relationship ,
That is a man for u . so if u realize that as a woman the better for u . so make sure the very next man u grap treat him like a king and i bet u he would be all over u . and before u know it , he wants ur hand in marriage
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nia: 5:58pm On May 30, 2006
To answer your question, I'll say there are various reasons why successful women don't/choose not to marry. A few being that some don't see the point, especially if you're abroad and almost half of marriages end in divorce anyways. They choose to forgo all the hassles, while keeping their check book intact.
Being successful doesn't mean you'll become arrogant. However, if you're the type of woman who's used to telling people what to do, maybe you're the CEO/president of your company or something, and you've worked hard all your life to get to where you are, understandably, you won't want to be "submitting" to anyone, especially if it means in an undignified manner.
Yes, some women also try to marry people who are financially on their level, contrary to men who usually don't mind "marrying down" financially, so to speak.
There are also women out there who are raised to see success as being more important than marriage, because marriage is less reliable. So they focus more attention on being successful.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 30, 2006
Rhodalyn:

Cuz the cowards[men] are scared to propose to them embarassed grin cheesy embarassed cheesy embarassed

I dont think so shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by princeonx: 7:50pm On May 30, 2006
Thats exactly what we're talking about! just take a look at this topic! before we talk one una don talk ten! men this men that! as if all men are the same? nobody here is saying SOME men or even MOST men! Do you girls of today think you're smarter than our mothers that submitted to our fathers? do you think you work harder than them? or more successfull than them? how many of you will like to see your mum shouting or passing intructions to your dad because she brings more money home? or when you dad say red instead of suggesting blue she insist or instruct it to be blue? Listen sisters its going to be even worst than what it is now in future if you guys don't slow down! equal right sh**t or 50/50 whatever name you call it! is going to hurt most of you! The bitter truth is no man want to marry any woman that matches head for head with him, shoulder for shoulder, world for world, help me out you girls know the names! all that! NO!! even some guys that think they're westernized so its no big deal! some are going through HELL at home but are too proud to say a word outside. I know some people are waiting to crucify me over all I just said but heeey do what you got to do! hopefully my helmet and bullet proof will help but thats my own oppinion. Most girls especially in early 20s or younger will run their mouth on me but run it from Jerusalem to Jericho and back its is the truth! Some older once might have tried all that equal sh**t and realized that they are scaring the men off and backed up! Look at our western 50/50 world and the type of marriages and relationships they're into! separation and divorce is like cutting steak while jumping from one relationship to another is like flipping chanels! but all well! and folks pls stop that some successful women CHOSE not to be married nonsense cux its not true! you don't know what they're going through!
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by princeonx: 8:00pm On May 30, 2006
One more thing! why is it that when a woman is more successful it becomes a topic or issue in marriage? my brother married a girl and all the family including papa, mama, brothers, and sisters moved in and nobody said a word! I wonder what it'll be if it was the other way round!
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nia: 8:05pm On May 30, 2006
prince_onx:

Thats exactly what we're talking about! just take a look at this topic! before we talk one una don talk ten! men this men that! as if all men are the same? nobody here is saying SOME men or even MOST men! Do you girls of today think you're smarter than our mothers that submitted to our fathers? do you think you work harder than them? or more successfull than them? how many of you will like to see your mum shouting or passing intructions to your dad because she brings more money home? or when you dad say red instead of suggesting blue she insist or instruct it to be blue? Listen sisters its going to be even worst than what it is now in future if you guys don't slow down! equal right sh**t or 50/50 whatever name you call it! is going to hurt most of you! The bitter truth is no man want to marry any woman that matches head for head with him, shoulder for shoulder, world for world, help me out you girls know the names! all that! NO!! even some guys that think they're westernized so its no big deal! some are going through HELL at home but are too proud to say a word outside. I know some people are waiting to crucify me over all I just said but heeey do what you got to do! hopefully my helmet and bullet proof will help but thats my own oppinion. Most girls especially in early 20s or younger will run their mouth on me but run it from Jerusalem to Jericho and back its is the truth! Some older once might have tried all that equal sh**t and realized that they are scaring the men off and backed up! Look at our western 50/50 world and the type of marriages and relationships they're into! separation and divorce is like cutting steak while jumping from one relationship to another is like flipping chanels! but all well! and folks please stop that some successful women CHOSE not to be married nonsense cux its not true! you don't know what they're going through!
LOL. My, you seem very passionate about this.
But let me ask why you concluded that to remain marriageless is not a choice for some. For example, in the case of a woman who has been raised to be independent and to always go after what she wants, and that to consider herself "below" anyone is an insult to herself, what makes you think that she will not choose to not marry? Now I am talking about people who--similar to how some men are raised to think they should "dominate"-- you have women who have been raised to believe, that they should not "submit" to anyone or feel "inferior" to anyone, that is, they are equal to all. What makes you think she will not be happier to forgo marriage in the absence of a 50-50 union? Or if she thinks that since marriages are less reliable anyway, she shouldn't even bother?
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by princeonx: 8:34pm On May 30, 2006
I think your question is very clear to the extent that what you're looking for (answers) is in it! Like you said/asked, those women CHOSE not to submit because they were raised to go for what they want or raised to be independent women! thats a good reason not to get married as for as they are concern but is that what they really want? NO! its like thats the only choice for peace/respect in their life. These same women will love to get married if they meet a man that will deal with all that! she's a Boss at her job so she's used to passing intruction at work so its also OK at home! she was raised as an independent lady so my oppinion at home don't count cux she was raised like that! common now! and talking about 50/50 is really not an issue atleast both make about the same amount or share about the same idea! The word Successful here is those that make way way more money than their boyfriend or those that will like to marry them!
Passionate about this? Not really! I just feel sorry for a whole lot of girls that think that way! putting your success before your happiness all in the name of being raised like that! or looking for Mr equal everything! sitdown dey wait he's on his way!
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by diddy4(m): 9:07pm On May 30, 2006
i dont think watching there dad has anything to do with it, didnt dey go to school to know better dan generalize dat men are meant to be on top. is true men are the head of the family but he mustnt be the only one providing and i agree with hotstepper, inferiority complex has something to do with it. i dont see a problem with a woman being successful, i will like my wife to be as successful as me. it doesnt matter, it means she can take care of herself without buggin me and dat whenever she asks me to buy something for her, it aint cuzz she cant afford it, but cuzz she wants me to buy it.

i like independent woman. they take no shiit from no one and dey are always able to take care of themselves without pestering around. its cool with me. dont know about the others.
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by Nia: 9:49pm On May 30, 2006
prince_onx:

I think your question is very clear to the extent that what you're looking for (answers) is in it! Like you said/asked, those women CHOSE not to submit because they were raised to go for what they want or raised to be independent women! thats a good reason not to get married as for as they are concern but is that what they really want? NO! its like thats the only choice for peace/respect in their life. These same women will love to get married if they meet a man that will deal with all that! she's a Boss at her job so she's used to passing intruction at work so its also OK at home! she was raised as an independent lady so my oppinion at home don't count cux she was raised like that! common now! and talking about 50/50 is really not an issue atleast both make about the same amount or share about the same idea! The word Successful here is those that make way way more money than their boyfriend or those that will like to marry them!
Passionate about this? Not really! I just feel sorry for a whole lot of girls that think that way! putting your success before your happiness all in the name of being raised like that! or looking for Mr equal everything! sitdown dey wait he's on his way!

Thanks for your reply. While you have answered my question I notice an assumption in your post which is that everybody is born to want to get married or that everybody is born to see marriage blissfully. There's nothing innate in us that tells us that we HAVE TO get married (to be happy) or that marriage will make us happy. While it is true that majority of people does/want to/choose to get married, this mentality is more of a societal scructure one based on our personal experiences, parental influences, cultural, and etc,

Now when you say

prince_onx:

Like you said/asked, those women CHOSE not to submit because they were raised to go for what they want or raised to be independent women! thats a good reason not to get married as for as they are concern but is that what they really want? NO! its like thats the only choice for peace/respect in their life. These same women will love to get married if they meet a man that will deal with all that!
I agree with you so a certain extent. That is, if women who see marriage as 50-50 meet like minded individual, they will most likely want to get married, assuming every other circumstances is alright. But then you wrote:

prince_onx:
she was raised as an independent lady so my oppinion at home don't count cux she was raised like that!
This leaves me a little confused. If some women are raised--or through personal experiences--to understand marriage to be of little significance or an activity that they can do without, why then would they look forward to it happily or think it will make them happy when they get married?  You seem to be saying that as long as you're married you'll be happy.
But if we know that "MARRIAGE IS HAPPINESS" is a mentality that is heavily influenced by our personal experiences, society, and parentage etc. how can we conclude that someone who believes that marriage is not significant or significant enough to "submit" yourself or make yourself inferior to someone else is depriving themselves of happiness? If they are in a union where they feel inferior to their partner, do you think they will be "happy" in that marriage simply because "at least they're married?" We can't wave off parental influences or how we grow up. Different people have different ideas about what marriage is and should be. And if these people have decided that they'd prefer to not get married rather than "submit" or compromise themselves, their ideas, and beliefs, simply because the marriage instituion is not significant enough, who are we to judge?
Re: Why Are Some Successful Sisters Not Married? by my2cents(m): 9:55pm On May 30, 2006
Herez my 2 cents:

According to a newsweek magazine I read, women are overtaking the guys in pretty much all aspects of life, but in particular education (in the US). I think the ratio of graduating females is 55% as opposed to 38% for males. What does that say? To me, naturally, people want to gravitate towards people they can relate to. Others are just superficial. Letz face it, a cab driver could be a better lover than a doctor, but how does that help at the company christmas party ("Hi, my name is Tunde and I own my own transport company - yeah right)?

So, in my opinion, the women are looking for a man they can relate to, but such men are fast disappearing. Of course the down side is that they look for mr right who doesn't exist. Before you know it, they waste their lives bouncing from one man to the next (usually such men date them for ego purposes) and then they hit the biological junction and they end up marrying the person they should have married from the get-go. Of course, it is usually too late by then. They have become, sorry to say, 10th hand. Again, sorry to say this, but tis true.

You can't and shdnt blame a woman because she knows what she wants and goes for it. On the other hand, there should be a trade-off. I remember my Dad telling me that back in college, in a sociology class, he was taught that 5 "tions" have ruined the traditional family set up: Globalization, Education, Industrialization, Liberation, and sorry but I can't remember the last one (sorry Dad grin)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Wrong With My Girl ?? (picture) / How Can I Stop Having Feelings For My Female Neighbor / Fashola Signs Law Against Abandonment Of Pregnant Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.