Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! (17502 Views)

The Long Snake Killed At A Mechanic-Workshop In Port-harcourt (Graphic Pics) / Little Boy Creates His On Drum Set And Beat (video) / Amazing: See Nigerian Homes Made Of Plastic Bottles And Mud (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by CaptainPlanet(m): 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2013
Promhize: He copied it. It was an indian or philippine that invented it, I downloaded d video of an indian that did d samething a while back. Its on youtube, lemme look 4 d link

It's not even something u can use @ nite.
Y r yu even telling me 4 God's sake?
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
Calling Aba boy to illustrate the concept.

God purnish devil, boys must hammer this year! grin grin
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Dbeliever(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
This is so wonderful. Infact iam challenged.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by BrightCar: 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
SimonAndal:
This is not logical. Light is most needed at night and this will not work at night.
TRUE TALK. WHAT HAPPENS AT NIGHT, WHEN SUN FADES AWAY? MAYBE THE MOON WILL TAKEOVER
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Jonwesley(m): 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
caesaraba: This one is more expensive than buying bulbs na! Haba! From getting the water bottles, filling them up with water and adding bleach. Then to the unthinkable boring of holes in the roof and using adhesives to hold the bottles in place! Why not buy 50 naira bulb that can serve you both during the day and most importantly at night.

On the creative side, it's cool. But it's not really productive......well except of course I find myself in a prehistoric times or in a very remote region without electricity.

Haba, so if u buy N50 bulb to serve both day and night, do u get the light free or u do not remember ur meter or almighty PHCN. Do u think before u talk? Compare the overtime usage of electricity with this concept that only has a fixed cost at the beginning: the cost of bleach, and adhesives.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by BrightCar: 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2013
Jonwesley:

Haba, so if u buy N50 bulb to serve both day and night, do u get the light free or u do not remember ur meter or almighty PHCN. Do u think before u talk? Compare the overtime usage of electricity with this concept that only has a fixed cost at the beginning: the cost of bleach, and adhesives.
DON'T MIND HIM, HE HAS NO SENSE OF SCIENCE, SO CAN BE QUICK TO MUTTER ANYTHING.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Youngzedd(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2013
Have seen this in Kenya before.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by SayITnw: 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2013
As far as I am concerned, this is far from impressive and it's surprising that anyone will want to give this cheap publicity. The big question which answer appears obvious is "what happens in the night, when the sun cease to shine". This is poor. The researcher should take a step further and find a way to conserve the illumination within the bottle at least for a night long with the hope of recharge soon by the morning!......

If you want to make a case for day time....consider the tropics where rains and rainstorms can be really an issue, also think of high rise buildings. Why can I simple use a transparent PVC roof where I want light from sunshine during the day? I am not cool with the adhesive resin thing...what's the durability. Well may be this will pass for bush bars application " la be igi"....
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 15, 2013
See as i just rush open thread thinking it was Naija mechanic gringrin
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by semid4lyfe(m): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
Quite old. It originated from INDIA and not Brazil.

It's been used by many NGO's to light up household in rural areas without electricity.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by BigBabyJesus: 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
zig2ryme04: ok...so? should i shout hallelujah or jump up?

No. But you can crawl back to the other cockroaches under my kitchen sink
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by FOLLEY20(m): 4:27pm On Aug 15, 2013
It's a good job & it's divine. But how can we make it work @ night?
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by redsun(m): 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2013
Somehow they might find a way to store the sun heat in the plastic to make it work at night like the solar panel.Or probably just work with the ray only.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by oxygen47: 4:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
Did he say If I pour bleach inside water,
I can stop paying 4 NEPA light
RUNNING.........
Bola, where is my hypo
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by nijanigga: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2013
I gave them this news to benefit Nigerians, but they never give me credit.

nijanigga: Politics / Re: Bukola Saraki Interrogated By EFCC In Abuja by nijanigga: 7:28am On Aug 13

Alfredo Moser: Bottle light inventor proud to be poor. Nigerians can try this out in the absence of NEPA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23536914

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
So them still D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take light for Brazil. ;DSo them still D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take light for Brazil.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
well done class go!!!kpa kpa kpa-kpa-kpa-kpa
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by thelonestranger: 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2013
Lunatic. How will this work at night when you really need light.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by blaise26abj(m): 5:30pm On Aug 15, 2013
caesaraba: This one is more expensive than buying bulbs na! Haba! From getting the water bottles, filling them up with water and adding bleach. Then to the unthinkable boring of holes in the roof and using adhesives to hold the bottles in place! Why not buy 50 naira bulb that can serve you both during the day and most importantly at night.

On the creative side, it's cool. But it's not really productive......well except of course I find myself in a prehistoric times or in a very remote region without electricity.

Think and read carefully before typing. It is to serve you when when there is power outage during the day. unless of course ur 50 naira bulb can power itself.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Joshcoli(m): 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
Very creative and realistic not some very fearful statue created by some Nigerian called aero plane that I always see at Ikeja along... LAWD HAVE MERCY
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Sike(m): 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
Promhize: He copied it. It was an indian or philippine that invented it, I downloaded d video of an indian that did d samething a while back. Its on youtube, lemme look 4 d link

It's not even something u can use @ nite.

Yeah I got d link, its actually a philippine (date - 06/05/2011) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBWi3NtND68&gl=IN&hl=en-GB&guid=&client=mv-google
Busted!
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by tomzman: 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
Quite creative of him.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by joe4christ(m): 6:58pm On Aug 15, 2013
Waiting for china to improve on the idea of this invention, that's what they're very good at.
Fingers crossed!
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by adeoflagos: 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2013
According to the World Bank, the inventor is Alfredo Moser (use Google). For now, its application is limited to day-time in human settlements (e.g. slums) where rooms are in darkness day or night. I read someone (SayITnw) write something about seeking cheap publicity on nairaland for such a great and in-use concept. How much publicity does an idea that is already on the website of a global financial institution need. "Nada"!!! Not from nairaland.

How could this be more expensive than buying electric light bulbs (ELB)? You pay for the ELB as well as the electricity. How much energy goes into production of the ELB and the electricity, which are likely produced from non-renewable sources. More so, some energy that is converted from electric energy to light energy by some bulbs is lost as heat. The initial cost of the solar light bulb (SLB) will likely be recouped over the life time of its use. The other benefits (i) wastes bottles are recycled and reused (ii) in the long-term the amount of waste-bottles that end up in landfills is reduced and the energy cost for transportation of wastes-bottles to the dump/landfill is reduced (iii) it empowers individuals installing the solar light bulbs to generate income (electric bulb makers are large corporation not individuals). Other indirect benefits include less green-house warming (think about the production processes used for electric light bulb production, the CO2 from electricity generation, and the CO2 released during transportation of wastes bottles to the landfill). Young Nigerians need to learn to think holistically, so that they do could better than their parents who successfully put the country in the mess that it is in now.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by mozeybee: 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
yunfazz: What a brilliant idea!

A Brazilian mechanic has invented a way of lighting bulbs without electricity- using plastic bottles filled up with water and a splash of bleach.

The secret: Adding two capfuls of bleach to a bottle of water stops it from turning green when exposed to sunlight. He then drills a hole in a roof tile and pushes the filled bottle in from below. He keeps the bottle in place with polyester resin, which waterproofs the 'window' in his roof. More photos after the cut:

During a power shortage, it was his boss that first suggested the use of a plastic bottle filled with water as a lens to focus the sun's rays on dry grass and to light fires in case of an emergency. It was after then that Mr. Moser developed the concept into his Moser Light.

In a statement to the BBC World Service, he was quoted as saying: 'It's a divine light. God gave the sun to everyone, and light is for everyone. Whoever wants it saves money. You can't get an electric shock from it, and it doesn't cost a penny."

Wow..!!! The man should patent his invention immediately and not forget to fly to Nigeria asap too...we have plenty of water bottles and sunlight!!!

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/08/plastic-water-bottle-bulbs.html
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by mozeybee: 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
[quote author=mozeybee. As much as much credit should be given to such seaming creativity, I have reservations on its need.
1. U have to drill through the roof. what should a man in the ground floor of a multi-storey building drill?
2. Even if the bleach keeps the water colourless, what will keep the "plastic " bottles from melting after persistent solar radiation absorption? Common sense will tell that plastic will contract/shrink/melt when exposed to solar radiation beyond its thermal limit.
3. Even if you aren't living under storey buildings, why perforate ur roof (giving room to leakage during rainfall) when a transparent roof would simply do? I've seen many warehouses with such desings to allow sunlight in from the roof.
4. Again, since it only works in the day, why drill the roof when the windows would let in sunlight anyway?
5. Finally, electricity gives us much more than lightning the room. Can the mosar bulb power the electrical appliances in the house?
I really commend the trial but it isn't SCIENCE since there is no TRANSFER OF ENERGY. Thinks about it - It's just LIGHT ENERGY to LIGHT ENERGY.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by soloxxng: 8:18pm On Aug 15, 2013
Christmasdon: ..end time tinz!!
grin
Christmasdon: ..end time tinz!!
.. I just cant stop laughing @ u?..... Everytin na 'end time tinx'
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nicepoker(m): 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2013
Promhize: Op u are a very funny somebody o
Patent what, what do u patent about this.
So because I want to put a bottle filled with water In my roof, I will call him and his team or seek his approval, are u high??
op is high on cheap drugs
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by caspet(m): 8:33pm On Aug 15, 2013
Wow......Thnk God,the days of PHCN yanga will soon be over. grin grin cry
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by adeoflagos: 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
mozeybee: [quote author=mozeybee. As much as much credit should be given to such seaming creativity, I have reservations on its need.
1. U have to drill through the roof. what should a man in the ground floor of a multi-storey building drill?
The solar light bulb (SLB) is not for everybody. Meaning that if you live in the ground floor of a multi-storey building, even in the darkest slum, it is less likely that you will use it, even if you live in the top-most floor. The cost of installation in the latter case will likely increase.
2. Even if the bleach keeps the water colourless, what will keep the "plastic " bottles from melting after persistent solar radiation absorption? Common sense will tell that plastic will contract/shrink/melt when exposed to solar radiation beyond its thermal limit.
There are other option apart from plastic bottles. But important to note that common plastic bottles are made with PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) which I understand has a melting point of 250 oC, more than twice the boiling point of water. So, common plastic bottle is ideal, except if you live close to the sun or in the middle of an hydrothermal vent.
3. Even if you aren't living under storey buildings, why perforate ur roof (giving room to leakage during rainfall) when a transparent roof would simply do? I've seen many warehouses with such desings to allow sunlight in from the roof.
A living space is different from a warehouse. The general preference for roofing are non-transparent materials. Transparent material may increase temperature in the room.
4. Again, since it only works in the day, why drill the roof when the windows would let in sunlight anyway?
Not all houses have the luxury of a window. You need to take a trip to a typical slum.
5. Finally, electricity gives us much more than lightning the room. Can the mosar bulb power the electrical appliances in the house?
The application is for lightening not electric generation.
I really commend the trial but it isn't SCIENCE since there is no TRANSFER OF ENERGY. Thinks about it - It's just LIGHT ENERGY to LIGHT ENERGY. If this is not science, so what is science? More so the concept is already being used in some countries. So what proof of concept (i.e. trial) are you talking about?
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by shamson: 11:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
This will be good for fulani's
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by dowjones(m): 11:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
i see sombody pouring bleach into his television and putting it under the sun so it'll work without light?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Four Lions Test Positive For Covid-19 At Barcelona Zoo / SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch / Weird Things Humans Do Daily, And Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.