Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") (4379 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Google Talk (Gtalk) Is Down / GAIM Instant Messenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 5:10pm On Aug 23, 2005
Rumors abound that Google plans to launch an instant messaging (chat) application, Google Talk, tommorrow.

"Continuing its rapid expansion into new product categories, the Internet search giant plans to launch an instant messaging program called Google Talk as early as Wednesday, according to people familiar with the service.

"According to a person who has seen the service, Google plans to let users chat using more than just their keyboards. Like similar programs from competitors, Google Talk also will let computer users with a headset have voice conversations with other computer users with headsets, this person said.

"One source said Google intended to release the product Wednesday. Another source did not know when Google planned to release Google Talk, but said the company had been testing the service for at least a month.

"A spokeswoman for Mountain View, Calif.-based Google said early Monday that the company planned to release a new product this week. She declined later in the day to say whether that product was Google Talk."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fi-google23aug23,0,1191504.story

I saw this coming, but I expected it to have a cool name, like "Gmail Messenger, a way to chat with your Gmail buddies". Tommorrow is the day it's likely to be launched, and I'm going to be one of the first to review it!
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Greatpeter(m): 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2005
This is a good news but will I be able to use it? My yahoo instant messanger is not even working here because everything is configured by the company.

Or can anyone be of help?
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 5:31pm On Aug 23, 2005
This is definitely something worth looking into. Thanks for the "heads up!"
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Farriel(m): 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2005
Well, I can't wait to try it. I'm into anything that has the brand Google (except the Picasa). A great step in the continuation of the fierce competition between Google and rival companies like Yahoo and AOL.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by obong(m): 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2005
i'd give up yahoo and msn if its as good as thier other services

1 Like

Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Greatpeter(m): 6:32pm On Aug 23, 2005
We Nigerians are quick to make judgements.

We will dump "A" and still come back to thesame "A" at a mere challenge of using the later.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by kazey(m): 7:51pm On Aug 23, 2005
GP have you tried Yahoo Web Messenger? I mean since your company blocks the normal messenger.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by joftech(m): 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2005
Google has been working on an IM client for sometime now. There people who reported seeing traces of a chat protocol in their desktop search tool.

Since their acquisition of Picasa in Jul 2004, there has been strong speculations that Google will make Hello(www.hello.com),which is a Picasa product.

I hope the product will have a good reception, but i don't see it displacing yahoo and other well established IM services.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by kazey(m): 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2005
I think they should do what they always do. Corporate solutions. The messenger can be designed to suit inter-company support and client support needs.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by obong(m): 9:05pm On Aug 23, 2005
GP, i go where quality is. I've moved away from yahoo ever since i got a gmail account. its plainly superior
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 9:11pm On Aug 23, 2005
Since having a gmail account, I've rarely used it. I'm so accustomed to Yahoo, which has never done anything for me to abandon it, that I'm afraid I may do the same with the Google chat.

Like they say, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" That's the way I feel about Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger. I'll check out Google, but I'm not making any promises of a switch.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by kazey(m): 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2005
trust me gmail rocks compare to yahoo. The features says it all. Just try it for one week grin
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Greatpeter(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2005
kazey:

trust me gmail rocks compare to yahoo. The features says it all. Just try it for one week grin

Ok I will give it a trial.

I will open tomorrow.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by kazey(m): 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2005
hehe you too? nice. Google you need to pay me for marketing o.. grin
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 2:14am On Aug 24, 2005
"I'm on Google Talk right now. Google Talk = Google's new IM service that they're announcing tomorrow. All you need is a Jabber-compatible Instant Messaging client (such as Apple's iChat, or GAIM), and a GMail address."
http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/08/im-on-google-talk-right-now.php

For the impatient ones among us!
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 2:45am On Aug 24, 2005
I don't mean to sound slow but what exactly is GAIM?
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by hotangel2(f): 8:40am On Aug 24, 2005
Google talk. I bet it'd be better than Yahoo/msn/aol.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Today is my birthday, And, Whoever says the world doesn't evolve arround me is a liar, because today, It does. I am sixteen
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by joftech(m): 9:57am On Aug 24, 2005
I have tried Google Talk it fall short of what i expected, and others( http://news.com.com/Google+unveils+instant-messaging+entry/2100-1032_3-5842254.html?tag=nefd.top) have been complaining too.

I hope Google will work some magic soon to convince people why they will have to switch from the current IM clients they are using.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by tcherokee(m): 11:25am On Aug 24, 2005
I've just downloaded gchat (google talk) and i must say i'm loving it. the voice quality is very lovely (or maybe google is just optimizing it over our network). and combined with google desktop and gmail i must say i'm feeling very excited right now. added the fact that gchat is so light compared to the rest of them. Yahoo has their work cut out for them cos i'm planning on converting everybody to the google world. and it's beta. expect great things......
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by hotangel2(f): 11:35am On Aug 24, 2005
Where's the link to download it?
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 1:19pm On Aug 24, 2005
http://talk.google.com (it's now been launched!)
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by IAH(f): 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for the link. I'll be among the first people to use it! Hurrah!!! Happy birthday to hot-angel and Google Talk, since you are both birthday-mates. grin
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Chxta(m): 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2005
Google Talk

Fast download - about 3 minutes on a modem (900K)
Requires Windows XP/2000, minimum 56k (broadband recommended)
Mac and Linux users can connect to Google Talk using other IM clients rolleyes

I checked it out, it's actually just based on Jabber and they put up their own server so they're using existing technology (which is open source btw people). Jeeks (a friend of mine in Sweden) and I tested it, and I don't see why I should leave Skype for Google Talk. To me it seems barebones but just usable. Don't really get why anyone will use Google Talk, it doesn't have anything that other IMs don't have.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by obong(m): 4:25pm On Aug 24, 2005
yeah, i just started using it. irs great. i have to rea dup on all the features though
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2005
Don't really get why anyone will use Google Talk

In other words, it's not bloated! In addition to that, it's tightly integrated with GMail. THose who spend a lot of time using the Internet for critical taks tend to prefer software that's simple, fast, light, easy to use. Like Gmail and Google Talk.

Unfortunately, it's not working for me right now sad(
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by tcherokee(m): 3:14am On Aug 25, 2005
Seun:

In other words, it's not bloated! In addition to that, it's tightly integrated with GMail. THose who spend a lot of time using the Internet for critical taks tend to prefer software that's simple, fast, light, easy to use. Like Gmail and Google Talk.

I agree the first thing that made me really like gtalk was the amount of time it to to set up which was just under 5mins(downloading included) and besides all the clutter in the yahoo messenger is hardly being used anyhow. i mean in nigeria streaming music is hell, who checks out the foreign stock and other stuff like that.
Now combine gmail gtalk and google desktop( the version 2) and u have ur stock, ur rss feeds, news headlines updated frequently, integration between your gmail and outlook/thunderbird (if u use them). the only downside i can see to gtalk right now is maybe the fact that they do not have emoticons, video calling, call conferencing and a chat room for you chat lovers. since i hardly use any of the aforementioned, i don't feel the loss. Anyways it is still beta........

Did i metion the desktop browser also has a google search engine integrated....... grin
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by jogego(m): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2005
vexxy:

I don't mean to sound slow but what exactly is GAIM?

@ vexxy, seems nobody has answered you. Gaim is a multi-protocol messaging open source program. It works on Linux( thats what I use), and also on windows. It allows you to integrate all your IM clients in one program so you dont need to have MSN, Yahoo messenger, Aim, Jabber, Trillian etc. And it also uses the features such as emoticons of the native client. Check it out here: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Greatpeter(m): 9:39am On Aug 26, 2005
Alas! the link did not work for me.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 27, 2005
vexxy i feel u totally

"Since having a gmail account, I've rarely used it.  I'm so accustomed to Yahoo, which has never done anything for me to abandon it, that I'm afraid I may do the same with the Google chat.

Like they say, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"  That's the way I feel about Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger.  I'll check out Google, but I'm not making any promises of a switch."

as some nerdy guy said when reviewing google talk "WELCOME TO THe STONE AGE OF IM" grin. lets face it yahoo messenger runs the Nigerian market 99% and at the way things stand google talk ain't going no where. it'll likely only going to be used by peeps with their own PCs.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 3:44am On Aug 27, 2005
I've downloaded Google Talk and so far I am unimpressed. Other than not having anyone to chat with on it, it looks like any other chat only with less visible features. undecided
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by joftech(m): 6:51am On Aug 27, 2005
this was due to the fact that GMAIL was an invite based service (at least until now). with time it will have users and chat rooms, but i don't see it's usage as big as in the magnitude of AIM and Yahoo messenger.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by WesleyanA(f): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2005
hey joftech smiley

gone are the days you had to beg to get an invite rolleyes
.i still prefer yahoo to gmail though. and i prefer aim to yahoo mesenger.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Change My Laptop Language To English. Window Vista Home Premium. Please Help / How To Make Your Windows 7 Genuine / Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo's New CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.