Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,504 members, 7,812,554 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") (4377 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Google Talk (Gtalk) Is Down / GAIM Instant Messenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Chxta(m): 10:06am On Aug 27, 2005
GAIM supports Google Talk
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2005
@jogego: Thanks! I appreciate the info.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by IAH(f): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2005
Gtalk is not cool. cry Hope they'll improve on it since it's still beta.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 9:37am On Sep 29, 2005
I wrote this on the 6th of April, 2004
Predicting a Google Messenger: Advice for Google

I am neither a business analyst nor a google insider, just a compulsive google user and a young student of e-business. Do I have the right to give advice to the internet's hottest company? No, but I will anyway. That's what bloggers do! My opinions will often be quite accurate, but then they might be wrong at other times, hence the comment section. So here's some advice for Google!
[list][li]Google is right to move into areas which put it into direct competitiion with portal sites such as Yahoo and MSN, because there is no other viable choice. Yahoo used to run their searches using google's infrastructure, now they have committed their own search engine. Microsoft, which owns MSN.com, intends to play a Netscape on Google by developing their own search technology and integrating it into the next major Windows version ("we will catch them", said Bill Gates about google).[/li][li]Therefore, GMail is a perfect plan announced at a perfect time. However, I do not think they really need to have started out by offering 1gb storage. They probably should have started with a smaller number (50mb? 200mb?) which would still have seemed enormous to free e-mail users, and gradually increased the space they offer over time, making waves each time they do so. Anything above 50mb hurts other free e-mail providers; anything above 50mb hurts paid e-mail providers and even some web hosts! Did google really need to start with the vaporware practice at this time? I think not! Google needs not have made people realise that gmail is real before it was ready to start signing people up.[/li][li]Now the next thing is this: google needs to provide a messaging service for its gmail account holders. How hard is this? The answer is, not hard at all. Google just needs to set up an extremely scalable, distributed Jabber server and configure it to use the same user authentication database as gmail. Google might also want to configure a free Jabber client for gmail users (Google Messenger?), and figure out if it needs to serve contextual ads in the chat client. The advantage of using Jabber is that Jabber is an Open standard, so gmail users can chat with those who use jabber accounts on other domains. Plus, there are ready-made solutions for connecting Jabber networks with proprietary IM networks.[/li][li]Google is wrong to drop the Google Directory, based on the Open Directory Project (dmoz.org) from the home page, without offering a replacement. Google's 'similar pages' feature doesn't work as accurately as finding other links in the same Open Directory category. It has always been nice to be able to conduct a search and go straight to the Directory category that is most closely related to the search.[/li][li]In the same vein, I believe that Google is absolutely wrong to put Froogle on the home page. There's no such thing as "objective product search"(aka Froogle). Besides, Froogle is at the time of this posting still marked "BETA". Or what do you think?[/li][/list]

Googlescape, GOOGLE!, GBay, Googlesoft is a really hilarious web page that talks about 4 possible directions for the future of google, parodied after Netscape, Yahoo!, EBay and Microsoft.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by vexxy(f): 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2005
Seun, the link you provided leads to a message of "page not found" undecided
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 3:13pm On Oct 02, 2005
Corrected. Thanks for noticing it!
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 4:30pm On Nov 19, 2005
Today's Google is just like GBay:
"Google achieves platform-style success, spawning a new industry where [b]millions of bloggers depend on its ad placement servic[/b]e as their primary source of income. Google becomes the second most recognizable brand after Coke. "I'm feeling lucky" becomes a national catchphrase. Rivals complain that Google squeezes out competition, but no one seems to care. The courts begin to hold the company liable for all sorts of wayward transactions."
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 3:29am On Feb 19, 2006
UPDATE: You can now chat from within Gmail.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by burteeone(m): 12:19pm On Mar 07, 2006
Gmail excellent, Gmail chat cry cry cry cry lipsrsealed
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 12:49pm On Mar 07, 2006
What's bad about Gmail chat?

1 Like

Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by yabiwed: 7:28pm On Apr 15, 2006
hi brother let i hear from u :
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Kave(m): 8:49am On Apr 18, 2006
Do dey have mobile services like mig33. For mobile phone users?
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by walemuse(m): 11:41am On May 21, 2006
Google Talk is all hype.I don't see it competing for the market share with yahoo.
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by Seun(m): 12:18pm On Jun 20, 2006
I like it because it's lightweight. It's nice. It's not something to spend millions of dollars building, or a major revenue earner, but it's invaluable for the few people that'll use it. I can't do without Gtalk. And it's fully encrypted, too!
Re: Google Instant Messenger ("Google Talk") by tck2000(m): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

Change My Laptop Language To English. Window Vista Home Premium. Please Help / How To Make Your Windows 7 Genuine / E Book Reader In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.