Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,428 members, 7,846,785 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

What Are Friends For? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are Friends For? (4659 Views)

9 Tips On How To Raise Siblings Who Are Friends / Ladies, Is It Right To Choose Friends For Your Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 7:22pm On Jun 02, 2006
favourwal:

make new friends and keep the old

one is silver and the other is gold.
hmm, i like this
Re: What Are Friends For? by Seun(m): 2:10pm On Jun 04, 2006
No wonder Nigerian friends are scarce; your ideas about friendship are really disturbing!

Unfortunately, I disagree. Friends are meant to criticize -- anyone who does anything other than that when you're wrong is a flatterer.
In a world of absolute right and wrong, this attitude might be tolerable, but in the real world it's downright disgusting. Friends are supposed to tolerate each others' difference of opinions. If what you are doing is wrong by my way of seeing things, but you honestly believe it's right, it's my duty as a friend to support you all the way. if your idea of friendship is to be followed, then people of different religions cannot be friends. That's anti-social!

I've dropped friends whose ideals are different from mine -- muslim haters, gay haters, white haters, black haters and such. I'm sure that's conditional acceptance.
How many friends do you have left? Probably zero. Perhaps that is the price of intolerance?

I will always refuse to say sorry when my friend is heading the wrong way and I tell him my mind. If he takes it as an insult, so be it -- I do not take back my words.
This is not friendship, this is politics. This is not rationality, this is senseless egotism. Even Seun the proudest forum admin says sorry to strangers, not to talk of friends that feel insulted or hurt. If you say something and your friend is hurt, it is most likely a result of how you said it and not what you said. Be sorry for that, at least!

Friends sometimes make you sad. Love is not utopian or governable by any laws. Some of my best friends say painful things to me -- but I know them to be true, and I strive to change.
perhaps you don't know what real friendship is about, or maybe you don't go out. There is no scarcity of people who are willing to say painful things to you! Unless you are doing nothing important in your life, you will have many critics bringing pain into your life. If criticism is what I want, I don't need friends. What I want: support, loyalty.

My friends know me better than I know myself and my friends arent scared to keep it real with me.
This is absolute bullshit. there is no way someone can know you better than yourself. What you said is like saying, "my friends think they know me and they like to criticize me". Sister, those are horrible friends!

to an extent i concur with you seun but talking about a friend not appreciating your numerous ideas
I don't mean not appreciating in terms of seeing flaws in my ideas. I mean "too dumb to comprehend".

hmmmmmmmm i think it is the duty of a friend to tell you if your idea is dumb or out of order (at times that friend might be wrong, but that is fine).
Why is it fine to discourage someone's great idea and make that person to fail? That's an enemy, not a friend!

i think it's only a Friend that can tell u sincerely if you're out of track without caring if his/her words augur well with you or not.
Listen to yourself. A friend is someone who imposes her point of view on you 'without caring'? Are you crazy?
Re: What Are Friends For? by Badman888(m): 2:11pm On Jun 04, 2006
ahh Seun is this an exam, free the people now
Re: What Are Friends For? by Seun(m): 2:28pm On Jun 04, 2006
Ib: Friendship for me is like a bond, it takes me a lot of time to make friends because friendship is like a relationship that should never go sour, almost like a mother child bond. It takes me time to find it but when i find it, i hold on to it so tenaciously, almost like a crab holding on dearly for life.

I feel soooooo disappointed when a friend lets me down, it could be for the simplest of reasons. I expect a friend to be there for me whether i am right or wrong, and support me through the difficult and the fun. I can kill for my friend so i expect the same commitment.

Thats why i have just 2 people i consider to be my friends right now, all the rest are just groovemates, boyfriends, acquintances, workmates etc
Will you marry me? kiss

"hot-angel":
I'm with Zah on this one.

To me friends are people that are there for you. They can be assholes, dumb-asses, but when they are your friends, there's always that bond that keeps y'all together. U might fight, quarell, call each other names, but there's always that BOND, that thing that keeps it going.

Friends are for so many thing, they are meant to annoy you, to be there for you.
Why would anyone will want to be friends with annoying ass-holes and dumb-asses? (thanks, IAH)

"lauryn":
A friend would criticize u to your own face, but yet defend u to the core in public
Instead of criticizing my friends, I just point out alternative points of view: alternative actions that may lead to better results. I trust my friends' judgement; they are in the best position to recognize what's best for themselves.

"bolex":
A good friend would always tell you the truth even if it would hurt you
A good friend will strive to tell you the truth in a way that will not hurt you. In a way that you can best bear.

lovito: A true friend
Strenghtens the heart,
Repairs the hurt,
Encourage your new discovery
Banishes your loneliness
Understand your anxieties
And increase your Knowledge
Will you be my second wifey? kiss

otokx: they are for the good and bad times. In season and out of season.
And you will be my best man! kiss

babymine:
I love my friends, they are my wealth.
And I love you! kiss

darqly: My friend tells me what I don't need to hear.
May Zeus deliver us from terrible friends. Amen.
Re: What Are Friends For? by jaybaby(f): 4:32pm On Jun 04, 2006
vickybabe (f)
USA

Re: What Are Friends For?
« #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:50 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HUMMM

FRIENDS FRIENDS FRIENDS

FRIENDS CAN SAVE YOU,

FRIENDS CAN ALSO KILL YOU

IT IS LEFT FOR YOU TO KNOW

HOW TO CHOOSE

CHOOSE WISELY !

FRIENDS!HMMMMMMMMM
FRIENDS R NOT WORTH IT

i once had a friend when i was in school- her family are not that okey! i feed,cloth,do most of the things for her!whenever my parents sends me money-she knowz -i dnt hide anything from her - jus cuz of a little mis_standing we had ! cuz i cautioned her of her bad behaviour ! she went around saying so many things about me.which was so baaaaaaad! since she was d 1 close to me i tell her everything about me-i almost lost my integrety in that process!Everyone around were so surprised @ her
i'm not sure if i have any friend now (BEST)
My only best Friend now is GOD.

BEST FRIENDS R UR WORST NIGHTMARE!
Re: What Are Friends For? by Zahymaka(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2006
In a world of absolute right and wrong, this attitude might be tolerable, but in the real world it's downright disgusting. Friends are supposed to tolerate each others' difference of opinions. If what you are doing is wrong by my way of seeing things, but you honestly believe it's right, it's my duty as a friend to support you all the way. if your idea of friendship is to be followed, then people of different religions cannot be friends. That's anti-social!

My friendship does not take into account religion -- my very best friend is a muslim. It does take into account biased people and racists -- I do not walk with that crowd. Friendship to me means more than talking to someone. I can talk to racists and muslim-haters but I don't consider them friends, and neither do I hate them.

How many friends do you have left? Probably zero. Perhaps that is the price of intolerance?

While I have few friends, none of them have ever left me -- I'm ready to stand by them all the time. If you don't know me, I don't like going out -- I just stay in my room and write code, maybe visit Nairaland and go on IRC.

This is not friendship, this is politics. This is not rationality, this is senseless egotism. Even Seun the proudest forum admin says sorry to strangers, not to talk of friends that feel insulted or hurt. If you say something and your friend is hurt, it is most likely a result of how you said it and not what you said. Be sorry for that, at least!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Perhaps you're talking of a different Seun. . . I've had a friend who beat up someone for no just cause and I told him my mind -- I do not hide my feelings.

perhaps you don't know what real friendship is about, or maybe you don't go out. There is no scarcity of people who are willing to say painful things to you! Unless you are doing nothing important in your life, you will have many critics bringing pain into your life. If criticism is what I want, I don't need friends. What I want: support, loyalty.

If it's support and loyalty you want, why not buy a dog? I'm not saying friends aren't loyal -- I'm saying sometimes they'll hurt you. Expecting blissful friendship with someone is simply put, living in an imaginary paradise.

When someone is always supportive of you even when you know yourself to be wrong, you'd better check out yourself again -- only flatterers and enemies do that.
Re: What Are Friends For? by Seun(m): 4:58pm On Jun 04, 2006
When someone is always supportive of you even when you know yourself to be wrong, you'd better check out yourself again -- only flatterers and enemies do that.
From my own point of view, I am always right in whatever I do. Therefore I would feel very happy to have enemies and flatterers like those you have described. It's a pity that the supportive people I've found are all friends.
Re: What Are Friends For? by Zahymaka(m): 5:05pm On Jun 04, 2006
I rest my case grin -- it's going to be hard to convince you [although I may be wrong undecided]. I hope you don't learn your lessons the hard way.
Re: What Are Friends For? by Darkchild(m): 9:22pm On Jun 04, 2006
Friends mean different things to different people. However, from my point of view, YOU should have friends that positively influence u and you could also have friends for different occassions. Thats what i have. But I do keep the most positive of friends closest to me. i.e My Wifey!!

My 2 kobos
Re: What Are Friends For? by Seun(m): 9:26pm On Jun 04, 2006
I rest my case Grin -- it's going to be hard to convince you [although I may be wrong Undecided]. I hope you don't learn your lessons the hard way.
In case you haven't noticed, I'm older than you. I have more life experience. I'm handsome, but I'm old and wise. You, on the other hand, are a typically arrogant teenager who doesn't know the first thing about friendship. wink
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 10:24pm On Jun 04, 2006
@ seun

i was going to ask you if your ideas were always right but i got an answer in one of your posts, you really believe you can't be corrected, 'because according to you, you're always right in all that you do, well too bad you have friends who can stand up and put you in check. when i stated that your friends could advice you and could be wrong, i don't mean they are purposely trying to displace you in life or kill your dream, all i'm saying is it's only true friends that would air their views about whatever you share with them, they might not be right, 'because we all can't claim Infallibility (although you seem to know it all) but the point is they tell you genuinely what they think about your idea and it's left to you to give cogent reasons for your decision and sincerely a true friend would support you even if they don't understand, only note that they won't say "oh, that's the best idea in the world" when they don't see what you see.

and when i say they don't care about their words auguring well with you, i'm still talking about their sincerity when to them you're wrong, if i'm your true friend i can't be scared of you getting mad, i don't mind you getting mad the point is you get to the desired goal, not me imposing my ways on you, i mean you don't have to accept every word you hear that's why you have that inner intuition but friends will always be there to tell you what the whole world is scared of telling you.

FOR THE RECORDS THOUGH, I'M NOT CRAZY!!
Re: What Are Friends For? by Zahymaka(m): 10:46pm On Jun 04, 2006
Seun:

In case you haven't noticed, I'm older than you. I have more life experience. I'm handsome, but I'm old and wise. You, on the other hand, are a typically arrogant teenager who doesn't know the first thing about friendship. wink

No comment.
Re: What Are Friends For? by LAHLAXZA(m): 11:37pm On Jun 04, 2006
A good friend allways has your back.Imagine being in a club filled with haters and knuckle heads.If something jumps off who has your back?Your true friends thats who smiley
Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 1:12am On Jun 05, 2006
Seun:

In case you haven't noticed, I'm older than you. I have more life experience. I'm handsome, but I'm old and wise.
lmaoooooooo *dead*
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 1:21am On Jun 05, 2006
@ Scorpio

Girrrrrrrrrl, i thot i was the only one who considered that funny. lolololol
Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 1:23am On Jun 05, 2006
Okoro feeling funky, lol grin
Re: What Are Friends For? by hotangel2(f): 2:03am On Jun 05, 2006
Seun, u think friends are spose to be ANGELS? They are humans for God sakes, They are meant to annoy you sometimes. They are not spose to always have the same View as you. BUt a good friend won't FORCE u to go with his/her views.
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 2:41am On Jun 05, 2006
abi oh hot angel, seun believes his friends are supposed to always dance to his tune, nice or wowo
Re: What Are Friends For? by hotangel2(f): 2:56am On Jun 05, 2006
Seun is all about "HIM" "HIM". I think a robot should be made specially for him as a friend.

Seun: Robot, do u think i look fat in this baggy jeans.

Robot: Noo, agbani darego is fatter than you, the jeans make u look skinny.

Seun: Do u think i should dance at the presidential suite?

Robot: Yes yes, Go wild in front of george bush, he'll love you!! Infact, fart in his face, heheheh.

Seun: I love you robot, we kinda have the same MIND. *seun hugs robot*. Awww

Seun don't be mad oo. it's just what i see.

Seriously, your friends can't do all what you want them to do.
Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 3:00am On Jun 05, 2006
buahahahahaha, i sorry for d unfortunate robot,lol
Re: What Are Friends For? by lauryn(f): 3:02am On Jun 05, 2006
respect the man's beliefs, abeg
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 3:05am On Jun 05, 2006
@ HA

LOLOLOLOL, really funny.

@ Lauryn

what belief is there to respect he asked us questions and we answered and he lashed out at us. doesn't seem to me like he respects our opinions. what do you think?
Re: What Are Friends For? by Badman888(m): 3:07am On Jun 05, 2006
thats oga admin for u let him tell us what a friend is self? seun where u dey i have been supportive of u till this point. angry
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 3:11am On Jun 05, 2006
abi Oh! mii i'm patiently waiting on him to come and tell mii what he thinks.

Mister Admin show face oh, i know you won't have anything to say aside what you said earlier anyway
Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 3:12am On Jun 05, 2006
lauryn:

respect the man's beliefs, abeg
beliefs ko, arguments ni! u actually think he's worth it  embarassed
Re: What Are Friends For? by hotangel2(f): 3:13am On Jun 05, 2006
I know everyone has different views and ish lauryn, but come on, he actually wants his friends to be robots, as in friends that won't criticize or have differents views with him.

Where will u find that kind of friend? It's good to keep wishing for a 'perfect' friend, but face it, u won't get a 'perfect' friend. Human beings will always act like assholes once in a while. it's the power and bond btwn u and that person that'll keep the relationship/friendship. Real friends forgive each other. Because they are "real friends" does not mean they won't get on each others nerves once in a while.
Re: What Are Friends For? by omogenaija(f): 3:40am On Jun 05, 2006
@ Seun when i said my friends know me better than i know my self , i didnt mean it that way. i meant it as my friends know when i'm lying,happy , mad, etc.

and my friends keep it real with me is the truth. they tell me good or bad things so i can have an open mind and there is nothing wrong with that.
Re: What Are Friends For? by zionchic(f): 3:42am On Jun 05, 2006
seun got us all explaining ourselves where is he sef
Re: What Are Friends For? by lauryn(f): 4:24am On Jun 05, 2006
I mean if he hopes on finding someone that would kiss his feet evryday, then let him be,that might be all he got left, so y take it from him?. Y'all should leave him be, please. I'm neither supporting nor against his beliefs.
Re: What Are Friends For? by Scorpio(f): 5:09am On Jun 05, 2006
lmao@ that might be all he has left, dat's wikkid cheesy
Re: What Are Friends For? by Skidoc(m): 6:37am On Jun 05, 2006
Ib, Gentleman Seun has proposed marriage please come and accept the offer from the waiting dude. grin cheesy

Seriously, I think both sides are correct. Seun is describing what an ideal friend should be. An ideal friend should stick with you through thick and thin. But in reality, that's not the case and that's the message people like H-Angel and Zahy are trying to pass across. It's really not that way in reality. Most friends are only there when things are rosy and you don't find them when you are in sh*t. There's no perfect friend anywhere. Despite these shortcomings, we have learnt to accept them as friends.
I want to hear people like 2Cantango, Chinani & Davidylan's take on this. Pls direct them here. smiley
Re: What Are Friends For? by Coco29(f): 6:54pm On Jun 05, 2006
SEUN is doing what he does best, rolling in the attention

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name / All You Need To Know About Wizkid's Baby Mama, Shola Ogudugu [pictures] / thank God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.