Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate (35984 Views)

The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student / Nigerian Law Graduate Makes History In The University Of Reading UK (Pictured) / The Plight Of The Nigerian Overseas Federal Scholarship Students - Ikenna David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by KweenAdz(f): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2013
Take heart dear.. If possible,shun d law sch na..Go and work in ur father's company.. Sorry o... Chai..*shedding tears of love!
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by obongtunji: 11:53am On Aug 20, 2013
zonaking: Did u pass jamb? That's the reason. You took the short cut hoping to avoid the due process but were caught in between. So you ve to wait.

GOD bless you, I rest my case......lop
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by ayodeji752: 11:53am On Aug 20, 2013
Madonna graduated more dan 500 law graduates in a session? And u think u ppl deserve to go to law school? D proprietor of dat school is greedy. So u xpect law school to admit 500 candidates frm just one school?

6 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Wublue2(m): 11:55am On Aug 20, 2013
@Op:

One or two reasons might be responsible for your plight, the principal problem being that in the eyes of several Nigerian public institutions( NLS included), private universities are less regarded in comparison to public universities. While one may indulge in the debate between the merits and demerits of private and public universities, I believe that the mere fact of attending a private uni should not disqualify one from certain privileges, like getting admitted into the Law School. The question is, Is Madonna accredited and permitted to have a law faculty? If the answer is Yes, then I see no reason why law school slots shouldn't be given to them. Following from this, the next question to ask is, Is Madonna given a law school quota that represents the number of students they can admit to study law? If the answer is yes, then that is fine. If the answer is negative, then that is wrong. Because law school will normally give a certain quota to universities commensurate with the number the universities can admit to study law. If the universities exceed this limit by over-admitting students( a common occurrence) then there will be problem with students from that universities seeking law school admission.

Now, the above is all just pure theory. Now, to the practicals. One, you and others of like minds can do a strongly worded letter to your VC through your Dean, detailing your plight and asking that something be done. I understand the next batch of admission into law school is currently underway. Make the letter as strong as possible and see their reaction. And second, you could decide to raise the money on your own and pay to get admitted. Now, I'm not sure how legal this is. So you might want to ask first to know the legality or otherwise of this action.

I wish you luck in your efforts.

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Big4wig(m): 11:56am On Aug 20, 2013
Well OGA ON TOP(GOD) will help you..just pray & fast if possible...my own case na ''ASUU''

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by jayriginal: 11:58am On Aug 20, 2013
What is the shortcut in going to a private university?

Were they not established under the law? Federal and state Universities have an even bigger backlog problem than private Universities.

The issue of backlog is a notorious one. The problem is that most law faculties overshoot their admission quota. So for instance, based on accreditation, they may be asked to admit only a hundred students for a given year, but instead, they will admit much more than that in a bid to collect more school fees.

At the end of the five year course, only a hundred forms will be made available as this was the number the Faculty was asked to work with. The law school gives each faculty the precise number of forms corresponding to the number of admissions they were supposed to take. After going round all the faculties of Law, then they may distribute extra forms amongst the Univesities with a backlog to compensate for extras including spillover students. These forms are usually not enough.

The problem is over-admission and not enough law schools. Each law school has a capacity and unlike Universities, they will NEVER over admit.

One last word.

It is not every on who passes JAMB and PUME that is able to get into school and it is not everybody in a private school that has rich parents.

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by shejane: 11:58am On Aug 20, 2013
500 wot? wow dats much in a year nd dat skul has nuffn
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 20, 2013
KweenAdz: Take heart dear.. If possible,shun d law sch na..Go and work in ur father's company.. Sorry o... Chai..*shedding tears of love!

Are you alright
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 20, 2013
500 is too much

Madonna was only concerned about chopping school fees

this one na 1chance
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by osifred(m): 12:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
@ op were you not aware of the hold up before you went to study law in Madonna?

@14yrs I knew I will face this challenge you r facing now so I left the skol.

Please don't argue anywhere atleast for now that the Nigerian Law School should give more slot to private uni over state and federal universities or even same slot. Private school admit more and has got more population.

@op my advise is you pay the money if you can and if it is legal
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Boss13: 12:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
Actually Private Universities are better than Public universities. They teach better. They don't go on strike. However, they have no social life. Businessday just concluded their writers awards and 2 students from covenant university were selected. The overall winner is from covenant university. I attended a public university and calling private university a glorified secondary school is a way of making ourselves feel better. But the truth is, many of us at that time could not afford the high school fees or maybe the stringent laws attached to private universities.

But to note, the lecturers are almost the same (many public lecturers facilitate their services in private universities).

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Amozever12: 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
I think the problem is with the skul mgt who is only intrested in admiting & graduating batallions of law students with no plans for them. Its rare for Federal universities to graduate more than 500 law students in a session, considering that there are other faculties in the university, so its either Madonna authorities want to decongest their campuses or just want the students money at the expense of the law school...

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by SamConquer(m): 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
Assuming You know You would have attended Igbenidion University...There Law Faculty is among the top Ten Best In Nigeria,and for the Records they produce a student with First class from the Nigeria Law School who now have a Phd in Law from Harvard.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by ocheejemb: 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
zonaking: Did u pass jamb? That's the reason. You took the short cut hoping to avoid the due process but were caught in between. So you ve to wait.

Your are a bitter asshøle for this comment...

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by kara(f): 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
When I entered UNIBEN in 2003, about 300 students were admitted, by the time I was in year 4, new intakes per year had reduced to roughly about 150 students mainly because of the number of law school slots that were allocated to the Law faculty. A private university has no business admitting 500 students per year especially when they do not have enough slots to send the majority of their students to Law school. Sadly your situation is as a result of the "I must maximize profit attitude" of your institution.

My advice to you is to be proactive. With this present ASUU strike, some universities might not have enough graduates to send to law school. Do your research, try and establish contacts and approach those universities. In the meantime, also apply for jobs or do a masters degree, learn a foreign language etc. In order words, get a plan B,C,D and even a plan E.

I pray you achieve your dreams of being a lawyer. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Collinsony: 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
If you are not admitted then you go and pay since payment of big money has become part of you guys..... i hate private universities.....
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
yuzedo: op bro. u studyed law? ok den, sew dem!!! is ur right. angry angry angry
He studied law not tailoring

6 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by ocheejemb: 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
I think you and those like you affected need to ensure that Maddonna does all they can as a matter of priortiy to sort this out. If they dont make such noise about it that people will stop enrolling into the Law programme there and then they will be forced do address it.

As for you people deriding private universities, how are you enjoying the strike? Idiots. I went to Unilag in case you are wondering, but I feel its a shame what rubbish goes on in our public unis. At this rate in 20 years when I have my children, I strongly doubt any sane person will consider sending thier children to these unis. Something needs to be done.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by mellB(f): 12:12pm On Aug 20, 2013
venorite: I am a law graduate from Madonna University. I finished from Madonna in 2011 and am yet to get admission in to the Nigerian law school. This has been the case with more than 1000 graduates that are yet to get admitted into the Nigerian law school. I and my colleagues have contacted the school without getting any response.

Madonna graduated more than 500 law students in 2011 and only 55 names (give or take) got admitted into law school via Madonna, others had to lobby their way into law school. The in thing now is that some students pay big money to get admitted into law school while some that have ogas at the top have their names included in the supplementary list which comes from bwari, Abuja. The ones that are unable to pay or have no one are left to their fate. This is what so many of us have been subjected to and currently, there are only 52 Madonna students names on the law school websites while other state and fed school get as much as 130-200 names (Abia state has 130 names)….

My question is (1) why can’t private universities and Madonna in particular get as much slots in law school as Fed and State Universities, (2) why do we have to pay our way into law school after spending 5years and exorbitant amounts to get a law degree (3) what is the solution to this? The annoying thing is that without your B.L degree, your LL.B Hons degree is pretty useless cos u can’t practice with it and getting a job is pretty difficult.

Pls relevant authorities should take notice and find a solution to this cos it seems this is only peculiar to private school and Madonna university in particular.

Mod Pls move to front page
abeg abeg in burna boy voice. Go for a refund of ur fees from ur uni if can't pay. Big man is equals to big problem. Don't try to slow me down
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by nerodenero: 12:16pm On Aug 20, 2013
Fadelex: @op, I feel ur pain. I have a friend that is goin thru d same tin, she's still lobbying to have her name but nothing yet
I will advice you to apply to d newly established law school in yola, you'll have better chance there than Abuja and Lagos. did u people have alumni? if yes, then let dem meet d school authority and sort out d problem then you guys should try and collect signatures then petition Law school
Boko Haram's enclave!!!Guy, wear bomb-proof when going there o.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by nerodenero: 12:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
spongeback:
Yuzedo is a clown. Don't take him seriously.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by sucess001(m): 12:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
@ Op

i am a lawyer and this problem is not peculiar to your school.

i finished from a fed uni and we even had the problem as far back as 8 yrs ago when i was about to enter the law school.

The problem is caused simply by the fact that the current capacity of Nigerian lawschool cannot cater for all the graduates being churned out by Nigerian Universities.

So you dont waste your time however, i would advise you to apply to do your youth service in the meantime and go to the law school later. Thats what a lot of my friends did back then. Alternatively, you can try see if you can do a foreign masters while you await law school.

And you can get a job as equally as anyone with a degree. it just doesnt have to be a 'law practice' kind of job.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 20, 2013
spongeback:

It seems u are a learner abi... Minding Yezudo.. cheesy cheesy
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Symphony007: 12:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
There is a current revolution going on in the nigerian judiciary. The law schools are angry that universities produce too many lawyers and the streets are littered with too many lawyers thereby making the noble practise cheap. So now law schools are not only frugal in how they admitt students they have now streached their claws in to universities faculty of law regulating how many students they admit and even the situation of classrooms and facilities used by law students.

My uncle is the DVC of the rivers state university of science and technology and he told me how hard they are trying to keep up with the law school demands. Before the cut off mark to study law in ust varied between 50 and 55. If you have cash or friends on top you can even get in with below 50.Today it has shot up to 62 to 65 and even he has no power to influence admission into the faculty. I really feel for you because it's not gonna be easy. I hate to encourage corruption but paying might be your only course of action.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by abu0710102013: 12:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
If u can pay 4 private y cant u pay to get law skul. NO POOR MAN PIKIN DEY GO PRIVATE
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
ledafaze:

It seems u are a learner abi... Minding Yezudo.. cheesy cheesy
I know Rita dummynick ex lover grin
nerodenero: Yuzedo is a clown. Don't take him seriously.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Symphony007: 12:33pm On Aug 20, 2013
Boss13: Actually Private Universities are better than Public universities. They teach better. They don't go on strike. However, they have no social life. Businessday just concluded their writers awards and 2 students from covenant university were selected. The overall winner is from covenant university. I attended a public university and calling private university a glorified secondary school is a way of making ourselves feel better. But the truth is, many of us at that time could not afford the high school fees or maybe the stringent laws attached to private universities.

But to note, the lecturers are almost the same (many public lecturers facilitate their services in private universities).
i disaggree with your premise that private uni's are better than public. Especially in equality of lecturer's. Right now in the rivers state university of science and technology, serving judges and lawyers lecture their law students, can a private uni afford such service?

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by brownlord: 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2013
yuzedo: op bro. u studyed law? ok den, sew dem!!! is ur right. angry angry angry

Blood of God wetin happen na?

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Baddestguyp(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2013
Anuoluwap: Take a break and look at diz LATEST UMBRELLA. Wat do u tink? -www.nairaland.com/1404370/latest-inventions-nubrella-funny-looking-hands-free-umbrella
oloriburuku nie! We are talking of important matter and u r bringing umbrella into the matter
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Excelboi(m): 12:37pm On Aug 20, 2013
Thatz why i love BUK. 200 slots in the law school is been given to them. Its a federal school by the way. @ OP, dont waste time waiting for them, go for your service then proceed with your masters. Just pray before you are through, it will be sorted out.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by danny301: 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
Honeyhill: am in my llb5 nw,unical..........we are given 150 slots....still yet[b] results issh and strike wont let unical send d full 150.......like nw with ASUU strike,no hope of law school dis[/b] yr.......just pay d mony,if u can afford fees for 5yrs.....u can afford dis last one for sure

You are in 500 level and you are making such grammatical blunder....Do you mean you have never been told that 'still' and 'yet' mean the same thing and cannot be used together.... That is what we call 'tautology'. And some you will think that because you attended federal or state owned universities you are better than those that went through private Universities.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Claroo(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
@Op.....The problem is not only associated to ur skul, bt inlcudes Federal Uni. My faculty slot in the NLS each year is 150 slots. Since d number of students are more dan d available slot, ur chances of goin 2 law skul in ur year of graduation depends on d class of honours u graduated with. Eg a first class or 2.1 students is assured of goin 2 NLS dat year. While others will hopefully wait 4d supplementary list, if dey are nt among d 150 student.
Hopefully, d ASUU strike will be of help, and u will be mobilised for Law Skul dis year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

LAUTECH Investigates Death Of Final Year Student Who Fell Into Soakaway (Photo) / Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / Unilag Student Survives Ritualist Attack On Campus ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.