Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate (35981 Views)

The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student / Nigerian Law Graduate Makes History In The University Of Reading UK (Pictured) / The Plight Of The Nigerian Overseas Federal Scholarship Students - Ikenna David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by GoddyJumbo(m): 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
Poverty is d worst disease dat can eva inflict a man... D fact d u cant afford d fees for d comfort n quality of education dat students in d private school enjoy doesn't mean u should hate them... Just pray that God should grant u d priveledge 2 give dis 2 ur children.... U guys have every right 2 b angry.... Cos u rememba all d strikes n d struggles... My friend I'm a madonna Engineer, just see if u can complain it 2 FATHER... I knw he would do something abt it..

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by tayo4me(f): 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
@op, the problem is not peculiar to only Private University students. I know of people who attended state universities and had to wait between 1-3 years for Law school admission. The problem is created not by Law school, but by the Universities- for example, why should a university given 100 slots admit 300 students? In my opinion, such university should admit only between 120 and 150 students (bearing in mind those that will fall by the way side during the years).

And to those making fun of the op because he attended a private uni- if you have nothing positive to say, it's better to hold your peace. Most of you would have preffered a private uni if you could afford it, so stop the beef!
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2013
But really this Madonna issue is getting out of hand. Last two years they overadmitted law students and in a bid to cut down their number, they moved all 2.2 students to other departments. Very annoying school!
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2013
gbolahanoluyemi: @ venorite, blame it on your school, I finished from the Law School few years ago and I know the Law School has quota for every school depending on accreditation status and past record in terms of results, your school (madonna) should have admitted based on their quota and not take 500 when it only has a quota of 40 or thereabout. Am sure Igbinedion does not have similar problems so its nt abt your school being private

The only sensible analysis so far. Since Madonna is aware of the quota, what they need do is stall on their law school admissions. That way, those of you still waiting will get a chance. If they keep on admitting, then the problem keeps compounding.
@OP Ignore all the ignoramuses that keep abusing you because you chose a private uni. 90% of them are the worst candidates in their so-called federal and state unis. You won't see a well-read candidate from federal/state unis make such comments because they know better.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by brownlord: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2013
poshdiva: Op you say you are a law graduate? Then i believe you should know what to do. Arent you an activist? Dont you have activists in your graduating set? Who is your faculty President? As a law student when you speak, things should happen! When you make threats people should shake!

There is nothing as effective as collective action. Get a list of your classmates who havent gone to law school and get them to sign. Now draft a letter to your Dean and copy your father whatever his name is, threaten to take legal action. Also get your University Act as a backup. You should find something there to support your case. Also try to get this published in a national daily.

I would advise you resolve it before October. Many federal schools would be unable to send students to law school because of the ASUU strike and law school resumes October 21st. Only private universities and federal schools like UNILAG and UNILORIN have written their final exams and submitted their list to law school so there will be many empty slots this year. Do something! stage a protest! Be active, let your voice be heard!!!!

Secondary school student activist and should stage a protest? omase o where dem get the mind from, when most of them never even argue before, most of their girls have not kissed or let alone experienced heart break before, apart from the mumu letter when dem dey write and few minutes talk them dey get wit each other for class, so where dem won get mind from? student that are yet to protest for their freedom in campus are now to stage protest after living school.

fold my hands dey look MACDOWELLS UNIVERSITY student protest while i sip my alomo waiting for this bike man to deliver my SK

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by owolabifunke14(f): 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2013
gentlefada: if you no go secondary school then how you take know pesin wey sabi write well...... Na for ur house you school....
My mama tell me say wen dem born me say excess IQ been dey worry me. I dey six months old begin pronounce words. Talk say I tell you.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by brownlord: 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
To all our foreign fans who are curious about knowing the meaning of ASUU Strike: ASUU Strike is an annual festival
done in Nigerian Universities whereby students are not allowed to go to school during the festival. The date of the event
is always fixed by the lecturers of Nigerian state and federal universities. The event is remarkable in that everyone is a spectator. Highlight of the festival is the wrestling match between federal executive council and the
leaders of the lecturers. There is no referee to officiate the wrestling match, as such, the wrestling comes to an end when both contestants are tired .The duration of the festival is indefinite depending on the strength of the wrestlers. If you are wondering where to spend your vacation then Nigeria should be your destination because the festival is at its peak now!!!
Happy ASUU STRIKE to Nigerian students who re on strike we pray d Contestants get tired soon!!!
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by tayo4me(f): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
[b][/b]
lovemychild: This is the problem with us nigerians, instead of looking for solution to help our brother, we fustrate him the more with hating words. why? if u dont have any positive advice, pls keep quite. what is wrong in attending a private uni? @op, i understand what u'r going thru cos i went to the uni too. u guys should gather urselv and write to the sch authorith. u can even meet with father chancelor to discuse it. am sure, he will do something about it. if there's need to sue nig law sch, it will make more sense if madonna university do it. u dont need to brieb

My dear, they can't sue the Nigerian Law school, because it's not the school's fault. NLS will only admit based on the list sent to it by the University. Madonna university should sort out its internal problems and comply with the Law schools directives first

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by brownlord: 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
Goddy Jumbo: Poverty is d worst disease dat can eva inflict a man... D fact d u cant afford d fees for d comfort n quality of education dat students in d private school enjoy doesn't mean u should hate them... Just pray that God should grant u d priveledge 2 give dis 2 ur children.... U guys have every right 2 b angry.... Cos u rememba all d strikes n d struggles... My friend I'm a madonna Engineer, just see if u can complain it 2 FATHER... I knw he would do something abt it..

Just pray that God give your children the brain to pass JAMB.

Chai, thank God my parents dint have the money to send me to private University, imagine how i for graduate begin behave like mumu, one of their first class student come out the other day say "I DINT KISS A BOY" imagine say i go school like AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY i no bleep any girl before i graduate, wetin i come gain? na so i go just go school go waist my papa school fees, i no nack the girls when dey my dept. faculty and school when i go for 4 yrs chai i for tear my result go write jamb again.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by gentlefada(m): 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
owolabifunke14: My mama tell me say wen dem born me say excess IQ been dey worry me. I dey six months old begin pronounce words. Talk say I tell you.
sorry for you o
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Kelklein(m): 2:46pm On Aug 20, 2013
who cares
! angrywho cares
!
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Yippsy(m): 2:51pm On Aug 20, 2013
Mke una wey fail jamb dey go private skool naw. Dem go so bounce u. Jamb iz also required for admission and dey cut of iz always 180. Even match some cut off with federal and state unis. So kini big deal? Na stl ds same naija we go work hand in hand togeda. So lets jus put d negativity outside. Biko and luk 4 way forward
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by touchmeder: 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
zonaking: Did u pass jamb? That's the reason. You took the short cut hoping to avoid the due process but were caught in between. So you ve to wait.

lol are you for real
give the private students a break. so many igbenedion BIU etc don't have issues. i personally know some of these people. is Madonna not doing something these guys are doing?
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2013
Na wa o! Bros u wicked o.
Op I think this matter shud be addressed by the schl cuz I had a frnd who suffered d same fate thou private universities have been subjected to some sorts of ridicle and neglect evn thou most of them passed jamb and are actually intelligent but somp pple in d society see them as kids who had to pay high with or without jamb just to go to schl early. But d truth of d matter is that 50%of them are there becos of d strike situation in this country. I remember a soldier mocking some corpers who graduated wit 1stclass in convenant university,sayin its for free in private unis! Neva went to a private schl but I didn't find it funny atleast not when its comin from a soldier that had just a 1st schl leaving certificate!
Op pray hard!u will go to Law schl this year. smileysay Amen!
zonaking: Did u pass jamb? That's the reason. You took the short cut hoping to avoid the due process but were caught in between. So you ve to wait.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by stariobran(f): 3:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
lmfao. gawd ds dude is funny as anytn
yuzedo: op bro. u studyed law? ok den, sew dem!!! is ur right. angry angry angry
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Bigcake: 3:20pm On Aug 20, 2013
venorite: I am a law graduate from Madonna University. I finished from Madonna in 2011 and am yet to get admission in to the Nigerian law school. This has been the case with more than 1000 graduates that are yet to get admitted into the Nigerian law school. I and my colleagues have contacted the school without getting any response.

Madonna graduated more than 500 law students in 2011 and only 55 names (give or take) got admitted into law school via Madonna, others had to lobby their way into law school. The in thing now is that some students pay big money to get admitted into law school while some that have ogas at the top have their names included in the supplementary list which comes from bwari, Abuja. The ones that are unable to pay or have no one are left to their fate. This is what so many of us have been subjected to and currently, there are only 52 Madonna students names on the law school websites while other state and fed school get as much as 130-200 names (Abia state has 130 names)….

My question is (1) why can’t private universities and Madonna in particular get as much slots in law school as Fed and State Universities, (2) why do we have to pay our way into law school after spending 5years and exorbitant amounts to get a law degree (3) what is the solution to this? The annoying thing is that without your B.L degree, your LL.B Hons degree is pretty useless cos u can’t practice with it and getting a job is pretty difficult.

Pls relevant authorities should take notice and find a solution to this cos it seems this is only peculiar to private school and Madonna university in particular.

Mod Pls move to front page
Guy u ve said it all. We whr go federal Uni na mugu we be abi? Abeg carry ur cross jor
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by BibiBasy(f): 3:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
Honeyhill: am in my llb5 nw,unical..........we are given 150 slots....still yet results issh and strike wont let unical send d full 150.......like nw with ASUU strike,no hope of law school dis yr.......just pay d mony,if u can afford fees for 5yrs.....u can afford dis last one for sure
Malabite! Guy u don fall my hand o. >>> concerned malabress<<<
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by phunmydahdah(f): 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2013
why the jealousy, take it or leave it if Ilorin had admitted me to study law I wouldn't have gone to babcock . I wrote jamb thrice and they kept offering me something else to study. op I am a graduate of Babcock university and by God's grace am a lawyer I was called to bar last year November.
what I want to say is your school made the mistake of admitting too many people when they are quiet aware that law school gave them 55 slots. for example my school was given 50 slots.
second another thing the school considers before sending you to law school is your result. its first come first serve thing, depending on how your cgpa is that's how they send people to law school. it after this they start to consider those with long legs.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2013
Boss13: Actually Private Universities are better than Public universities. They teach better. They don't go on strike. However, they have no social life. Businessday just concluded their writers awards and 2 students from covenant university were selected. The overall winner is from covenant university. I attended a public university and calling private university a glorified secondary school is a way of making ourselves feel better. But the truth is, many of us at that time could not afford the high school fees or maybe the stringent laws attached to private universities.

But to note, the lecturers are almost the same (many public lecturers facilitate their services in private universities).
but finally the best University in Nigeria is not even a private school. Private schools are not even in the top 5.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by PStacks(m): 4:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
God forgive me sha! Av never one day liked private universities.

Thank God I finished from a cream Federal University.

Madonna kor, Rihanna ni.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
Ify Angela:
but finally the best University in Nigeria is not even a private school. Private schools are not even in the top 5.

What matters is that you get value for your money. If you get good quality education from a private university, then good for you. On the other hand, if your federal university is the best in the country and "YOU" gain absolutely nothing from you school besides your horrible 2.2 or pass certificate, then whats the benefit of attending the so-called best university?
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by chingydaboss(m): 4:15pm On Aug 20, 2013
No offence bt fast food dey purge poor man belle.. its not ur fault, wat u can't afford, u just hv to hate.. poor people always tink dey have an opinion...

No offence bt it sucks say in rubbish ....[ quote author=P.Stacks]God forgive me sha! Av never one day liked private universities.

Thank God I finished from a cream Federal University.

Madonna kor, Rihanna ni. [/quote]
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
correct! Wat more do u wanna hear @ op
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2013
venorite: I am a law graduate from Madonna University. I finished from Madonna in 2011 and am yet to get admission in to the Nigerian law school. This has been the case with more than 1000 graduates that are yet to get admitted into the Nigerian law school. I and my colleagues have contacted the school without getting any response.

Madonna graduated more than 500 law students in 2011 and only 55 names (give or take) got admitted into law school via Madonna, others had to lobby their way into law school. The in thing now is that some students pay big money to get admitted into law school while some that have ogas at the top have their names included in the supplementary list which comes from bwari, Abuja. The ones that are unable to pay or have no one are left to their fate. This is what so many of us have been subjected to and currently, there are only 52 Madonna students names on the law school websites while other state and fed school get as much as 130-200 names (Abia state has 130 names)….

My question is (1) why can’t private universities and Madonna in particular get as much slots in law school as Fed and State Universities, (2) why do we have to pay our way into law school after spending 5years and exorbitant amounts to get a law degree (3) what is the solution to this? The annoying thing is that without your B.L degree, your LL.B Hons degree is pretty useless cos u can’t practice with it and getting a job is pretty difficult.

Pls relevant authorities should take notice and find a solution to this cos it seems this is only peculiar to private school and Madonna university in particular.

Mod Pls move to front page

1. Understand that the Council of Legal Education has a system of quotas for different faculties of law according to their reputations and size. Traditionally, the big federal universities have respected and sometimes big faculties. It follows that they usually produce the larger numbers of students in law school.
State universities generally don't get much joy too...

This quota system isn't set in stone. Circumstances and pro-active faculty administrators look for ways to send as many students as they can to law school. Seems your school has failed to look out for the students' interests and its a shame.

However, it is not uncommon for faculties to have backlogs. Many people use that opportunity to serve or gain further legal education (llm) ...

2. I don't understand what you mean by exorbitant amounts but I believe you refer to the fees you've been paying to your school,Madonna, for a legal education. There's no need to moan about that now really. The real issue is some people have conspired to take advantage of the situation your school faculty has found itself to line their pockets. I suspect this will be at both ends (Madonna law faq and Bwari, abuja).

3. The solution is that the government and the council of legal education should build more law schools or allow private bodies to establish and run more law schools. I understand that the Council are particular about standards but law is also a profession and as it is everywhere, time finds a way of separating the wheat from the chaff...usually ...
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
cool
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Dammexz: 4:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
Madonna.....a skol wit a diffrenc, ma bro, all s well. I knew I went through before I graduated as an EEngr.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by mfm04622: 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
Yomieluv: if you can pay your way through the school-as in school fees wise,i see no reason you cant pay your way to Law school,if you are that concerned,and worried...it goes to show that most private unis are glorified secondary school.

It is not a matter of being able to afford to bribe to get admission, the question is the morality! Why should any law graduate need to bribe to get admission to law school? That is the question

Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2013
djmummy: Na wa.
More than 500 lawyers graduated in a single year.
Wia all of dem dey?

How big is Madonna University? 500 law graduates in one session appears to be fraudulent. I think 'Law School' knows what it is doing.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2013
MBEGBU CC: The boy said that about 500 student's graduated from law in Madonna university in 2011, if I am to judge the number is outrageous because I know in my school UNN, they admit about 120 to 130 student's every session.

That's another thing ....

Madonna University has fleeced these ones bad.

Even the big law faculties usually have 150-250 students...

God dey.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by bankyc: 4:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
Madonna graduated more than 500 law students? On what ground? Where is d capacity? I doubt d credibility of those students, they ar nt managing human but running a factory.
Re: The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate by durella32: 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
Mehn bro urs is beta ooh dnt knw if u've heard of leadcity university d skul runs an illegal law progrmme nd students do graduate every year nd all dy do is to sit @ home wit no hope of goin to law skul

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

LAUTECH Investigates Death Of Final Year Student Who Fell Into Soakaway (Photo) / Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / Unilag Student Survives Ritualist Attack On Campus ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.