Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African (2555 Views)

Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. / The Hypocrisy On Nairaland / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
I say I want Africa to get better and I spend my time complaining about how it is ...but I will never go home to do something to make it better. (Diasporan)

I want our local industries to compete well with imports...but everything I buy is imported. (Middle class wannabe)

I want "the youths" to go out and protest...but I'd rather stay in and follow the Twitter protest hashtag.

I want Africa to be respected...but I spend my time online bad-mouthing it for the world to see.

I want my children to grow up with a sense of African pride...but I'll give birth to them in America. You know, just in case.

I insist I love myself the way I am...but I spend N50,000 a month on Brazilian hair extensions. Because you know, African hair is just so DIFFICULT to maintain.

I don't cultivate an inferiority complex in my kids...but I make sure their dolls and action figures are non-African, they only watch non-African TV and my girls burn their hair with chemicals to make it straight. Because African hair is so, y'know, DIFFICULT.

I'm all about "Africa Rising!" and "Black Power!"...but my new SUV is a Toyota. Innoson makes SUVs of the same specification and price range...but buying an African made car is you know, what you will do SOMEDAY .

I believe in the future of Africa...but my kids will grow up aspiring to go to Yale and Oxford so that white people will teach them to work for white people and solve white people's problems. We gotta get paid right?

"I believe that God created everyone equal and so as a Christian/Muslim, I have risen above the concept of race"...but I will burn the skin and hair God gave me so that I can look like someone else. I will also use much of my income to buy their hair and cover my own with it. God apparently didn't...you know...make me white enough.

14 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 21, 2013
All black folks world wide should read this.
Its deep.

3 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by ThaProphet(m): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2013
So very on point!! For about a year now, I have tried as much as possible to increase my patronage for African/Black products while limiting European patronage. While I am doing better, I am not doing a good enough job, hypocrisy always creeps in here and there.

The biggest problem Africa has is the modern day African.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by MamiWata: 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
daz_york: I say I want Africa to get better and I spend my time complaining about how it is ...but I will never go home to do something to make it better. (Diasporan)

I want our local industries to compete well with imports...but everything I buy is imported. (Middle class wannabe)

I want "the youths" to go out and protest...but I'd rather stay in and follow the Twitter protest hashtag.

I want Africa to be respected...but I spend my time online bad-mouthing it for the world to see.

I want my children to grow up with a sense of African pride...but I'll give birth to them in America. You know, just in case.

I insist I love myself the way I am...but I spend N50,000 a month on Brazilian hair extensions. Because you know, African hair is just so DIFFICULT to maintain.

I don't cultivate an inferiority complex in my kids...but I make sure their dolls and action figures are non-African, they only watch non-African TV and my girls burn their hair with chemicals to make it straight. Because African hair is so, y'know, DIFFICULT.

I'm all about "Africa Rising!" and "Black Power!"...but my new SUV is a Toyota. Innoson makes SUVs of the same specification and price range...but buying an African made car is you know, what you will do SOMEDAY .

I believe in the future of Africa...but my kids will grow up aspiring to go to Yale and Oxford so that white people will teach them to work for white people and solve white people's problems. We gotta get paid right?

"I believe that God created everyone equal and so as a Christian/Muslim, I have risen above the concept of race"...but I will burn the skin and hair God gave me so that I can look like someone else. I will also use much of my income to buy their hair and cover my own with it. God apparently didn't...you know...make me white enough.

You speak no lies here. We are our own worst enemy and have been so for some time now. The only thing I disagree with is the part about Christianity and Islam. I'll follow an indigenous religion until the day I die and it is not my goal to "rise above" my ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
MamiWata:

You speak no lies here. We are our own worst enemy and have been so for some time now. The only thing I disagree with is the part about Christianity and Islam. I'll follow an indigenous religion until the day I die and it is not my goal to "rise above" my ethnicity.
I am a native practitioner myself. The point was to point out the existential hypocrisy of adherents to colonial religions which claim to promote good but are tools of colonialism.
Mods front page pls

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
This most definitely should be on fp!!
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by MamiWata: 6:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
daz_york:
I am a native practitioner myself. The point was to point out the existential hypocrisy of adherents to colonial religions which claim to promote good but are tools of colonialism.
Mods front page pls

Thank you for clarifying. Your point is understand. It's great to find so many people who follow ATR's here. Yes replacing our religions was actually one of the most efficient ways to reinforce colonization. Only the education system has been more effective.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
MamiWata:

Thank you for clarifying. Your point is understand. It's great to find so many people who follow ATR's here. Yes replacing our religions was actually one of the most efficient ways to reinforce colonization. Only the education system has been more effective.
I actually think that religion has been worse for Africa because Western education has not reached maximum penetration like foreign religion. The average tin shack village in the hinterlands likely has some christian or islamic agent teaching children that African spirituality and native science is 'witchcraft' and that their salvation must be imported from Jerusalem or Mecca.
I followed someone to their church service recently, and the white suited fool on stage was praying "You shall be the one to import cars from Dubai in Jesus, name" and I thought to myself, this Jewish god must really hate us Black people if he wants us to use what precious little economic leverage we have to IMPORT finished goods from an Islamic nation while our local industry remains moribund and our balance of trade reflects a negative balance which further weakens our currency and cements our status as a Banana republic.
Yet such people have a large, almost cultic following. The ways in which we Africans mock ourselves is nothing short of tragic.

3 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 21, 2013
And mods please this is at least as deserving of front page as a thread about celebrity pictures. This is serious stuff with real economic implications. Please do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by MamiWata: 1:00am On Aug 22, 2013
daz_york:
I actually think that religion has been worse for Africa because Western education has not reached maximum penetration like foreign religion. The average tin shack village in the hinterlands likely has some christian or islamic agent teaching children that African spirituality and native science is 'witchcraft' and that their salvation must be imported from Jerusalem or Mecca.
I followed someone to their church service recently, and the white suited fool on stage was praying "You shall be the one to import cars from Dubai in Jesus, name" and I thought to myself, this Jewish god must really hate us Black people if he wants us to use what precious little economic leverage we have to IMPORT finished goods from an Islamic nation while our local industry remains moribund and our balance of trade reflects a negative balance which further weakens our currency and cements our status as a Banana republic.
Yet such people have a large, almost cultic following. The ways in which we Africans mock ourselves is nothing short of tragic.

You are right in many ways. Most followers of Abrahamic religions follow little more than something called "hypocrisy as a way of life." They may claim the name muslim or Christian but one would never really know by their behavior. Your example of praying for materials goods is typical of that type of behavior. The reason why I believe education is more toxic is because all of the people running our countries, from independence until today, have essentially been taught to view the word from a Eurocentric viewpoint. They aren't even allowed to think as Africans without wild justifications! I know Ivorians and Senegalese who know more about Russia than their own countries. We have a class of leaders and elites who fail to identify with Africa because they think nothing of her, just as their teachers trained them.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 22, 2013
For the African, being African is the hardest thing to do because the brainwashing and indoctrination has eaten too deep.

The religion thingy is what makes me weep.
Most christian homes got a picture of a white saviour hanging somewhere in the house.
Ironic.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 5:17am On Aug 22, 2013
daz_york: We gotta get paid right?

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 5:18am On Aug 22, 2013
*Kails*:
All black folks world wide should read this.
Its deep.

lipsrsealed especial u kails
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 5:20am On Aug 22, 2013
daz_york: I followed someone to their church service recently, and the white suited fool on stage was praying "You shall be the one to import cars from Dubai in Jesus, name"

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by daisyella: 5:44am On Aug 22, 2013
cryWe r all guilty
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 6:20am On Aug 22, 2013
daisyella: cryWe r all guilty

speak for u person
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 6:21am On Aug 22, 2013
angry MODS!! do the right thing
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by daisyella: 7:54am On Aug 22, 2013
419forlife:

speak for u person
We r all guilty in one way or another
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 11:30am On Aug 22, 2013
daisyella:
We r all guilty in one way or another

it will become criminal act to accuse some person what dey have NOT done.criminal act!!!
only reason i see it some will be guilty so want all to feel guilty.now lets build with those not guilty and maybe if u are guilty u might become less.

blame has to be place proper all are not guilty. OP is not
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2013
@419 Do I know you??
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 11:35am On Aug 22, 2013
do u no me

Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 22, 2013
Mschew.

daz_york: And mods please this is at least as deserving of front page as a thread about celebrity pictures. This is serious stuff with real economic implications. Please do the right thing.

Agreed.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 11:40am On Aug 22, 2013
only a few gon no me kwangi is it
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by daisyella: 12:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
419forlife:

it will become criminal act to accuse some person what dey have NOT done.criminal act!!!
only reason i see it some will be guilty so want all to feel guilty.now lets build with those not guilty and maybe if u are guilty u might become less.

blame has to be place proper all are not guilty. OP is not
Lol don't take it so seriously abeg, what I mean is dat we imitate d white people in one way or d oda, let's take for example, in dressing, r u telling me dat u always go on traditional attire. Read wot d op wrote again and tell me u r not guilty of even one or won't b guilty if u have d opportunity
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 5:24am On Aug 23, 2013
daisyella:
Lol don't take it so seriously abeg, what I mean is dat we imitate d white people in one way or d oda, let's take for example, in dressing, r u telling me dat u always go on traditional attire. Read wot d op wrote again and tell me u r not guilty of even one or won't b guilty if u have d opportunity

every money i get use it for a black if i always have choices i buy black includes a tradition attire plus more. now if i don have a choice will i be guilty? no i will NOT bc i don have a choices. if u feel guilty about a past den its U who are guilty and not the innocents. as for me i don want to be guilty reason why i imitate tradition religion as such.
so much for u theory.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 23, 2013
Why is this not on front page angry
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by daisyella: 12:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
419forlife:

every money i get use it for a black if i always have choices i buy black includes a tradition attire plus more. now if i don have a choice will i be guilty? no i will NOT bc i don have a choices. if u feel guilty about a past den its U who are guilty and not the innocents. as for me i don want to be guilty reason why i imitate tradition religion as such.
so much for u theory.
U've proved U̶̲̥̅̊я point. What a traditional man grin
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 12:20pm On Aug 29, 2013
angrymods!!! front page for readers
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by somalia11: 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2013
Stop using african All those things are done by negroids

Somalis, Ethiopians, Erireans and north africans dont do that stuff

which proves my point that negroids are not smart
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by 419forlife: 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
somalia11: Stop using african All those things are done by negroids

Somalis, Ethiopians, Erireans and north africans dont do that stuff

which proves my point that negroids are not smart

[img]http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/images/blackface_minstrel-show-poster.jpg[/img]
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2013
We've got to start getting ourselves "dehypocrisied".
Re: The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African by somalia11: 12:58am On Aug 31, 2013
419forlife:

[img]http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/arts/images/blackface_minstrel-show-poster.jpg[/img]

somalis are not slaves. unlike u negroids. Your self obsession for non negroids disgusts me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad / Names Of Animals In Central Igbo Language (asụsụ Igbo Izugbe) / Inter Tribal Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.