Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,752 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) (14884 Views)

How Gov Obiano Is Transforming Awka To A Modern City Pics Of Old And New Awka / Biafra VS Boko Haram. Pix Of Their Arraignment / Pix Of Gov Rochas Okorocha As Surprise Uninvited Guest At A Wedding Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by emiye(m): 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
History of Ibadan

According to the literature, creation of Ibadan was circumstantial. The history of Ibadan had long been preserved through oral history but written record says it was formed in 1829. After the collapse of the Yoruba Empire towards the end of the 18th century, ‘Eba Odan’ had been populated by Yoruba rebels. ‘Eba Odan’ means between the forests and the plains and it was surrounded by seven hills, it functioned as a sacred area for the fighters that fled the war. Before the existence of Ibadan, Oyo, a very powerful empire, was long established and govern larger part of Yoruba land, many fierce independent warriors emerged from Oyo such as Bashorun Gaa.

Bashorun Gaa was the head of the Oyo Mesi, He was a monster in the kingdom. While on the throne as prime minister between 1750 and 1774, Bashorun Gaa was a classical tyrant ruler. He instrumental the killing of four kings or forced them to commit suicide (Faleti,1972). Alaafin Labisi 1750 after 17 days on the throne; Alaafin Awonbioju 1750 after 130 days on the throne; Alaafin Agboluaye 1750-1772 (Agboluaje submitted to Bashorun Gaa’s dictation but was later forced to commit suicide under the command of Bashorun Gaa) and also executed Alaafin Majeogbe 1772-1773. He also instructed the murder of the daughter of Alaafin Abiodun and later used the victim for money ritual. Bashorun Gaa, unconstitutionally hijacked all the political power and machinery of Oyo kingdom.

The elimination of Bashorun Gaa was a difficult task. It cost the old Oyo kingdom lots of both human and natural resources. Alaafin Abiodun and Oyo warriors in
collaboration with Aare-Ona-Kaka-N-fo Oyalabi, arrested Gaa. He was tied to a stake at Akesan market and Alaafin Abiodun ordered that every citizen should cut a pound of flesh from his body and drop it in a huge fire in front of him. He was made to smell the odour of his own flesh, his nose was not allowed to be cut. The remains of his body were later burnt in fire to prevent his re-incarnation. His embarrassing death led to the popular Yoruba saying that “Bi o ba la’ya O si’ka; bi’o ba ri’ku Gaa, O sooto” which means (if you are wicked and pigheaded when you see the death of Gaa, try to be good and speak the truth)

Before 1829 Lagelu, the Jagun (commander-in-chief) of Ife and Yoruba's generalissimo, left Ile Ife with some people from Ife, Oyo and Ijebu to found a new city, at Eba Odan, the first city was destroyed due to an incident at an Egungun (masquerade) festival when an Egungun was accidentally disrobed and mocked by women and children in an open marketplace. Meanwhile, In Yorubaland, it was an abomination for women to have eye-to-eye contact with Egungun, Egungun was considered to be the dead forefathers who returned to the earth each year to bless their descendant. When this news reached Sango, the then Alaafin of Oyo, he commanded that Eba-Odan be destroyed for committing such abominable act.

Lagelu and some of his people fled to a nearby hill for protection (sacred place). On the hill they survived by eating Oro fruit and Igbin (snails); later, they cultivated the land and made corn and millets into pap meals (eko), which they ate with roasted snails. They improvised a bit by using the snail shells (Ikarahun Igbin) to drink the liquefied eko. This eating habit formed part of the ancestral praise (Oriki) of Ibadan people today. Later, Lagelu and his people came down from the hill and founded another city called Eba'dan on the same spot.

They began to welcome more people to expand. Eba’dan became a refugee center. Various people, such as warriors, war escapee, escaped slaves, people in exile etc from various parts of other Yoruba cities. They developed more flexible laws because of the diverse nature of the people. Ibadan grew into an impressive and sprawling urban centre so much that by the end of 1829, Ibadan dominated the Yorùbá region militarily, politically and economically. Shortly, Lagelu died, leaving behind a politically oriented people and a very stable community.
Around 1826/27, Afọnja of Ilorin, who was the Arẹ-Ọna-Kankan-Fo of old Ọyọ Empire, refused to carry out the order of Alaafin, when told to wage war against Iwere-Ile, a Yoruba town in modern day (Kwara).

An unresolved rivalry brewed between Alaafin and Afọnja. Afọnja formed alliance with Alimi, the head of Fulani warriors (who are settlers in Ilorin) against Ọyọ, and Oyo kingdom was destroyed. Unfortunately, Fulani supporters turned against Afonja as well and killed him on the order of Alimi. Ilọrin also lost its independence and became Fulani controlled territory. Therefore, whenever Yoruba says Ilorin is afonja’s city, Fulani will say ‘’it is Alimi’s city. This led to the present saying of ‘Ilorin afonja-Geri alimi’. In 1840, Fulani Caliphate began to raid towards Ibadan, Oyo indigenes begin to retreats towards Ibadan, a well developed Ibadan army confronted them and pushed Fulani back to Ilorin. Few people later moved back to Oyo to form new Oyo Kingdom, but a weaker one, and many decided to stay in Ibadan.

Ibadan kept growing economically and politically and become a safer zone for all Yoruba people. During this booming era of Ibadan, one of the powerful business woman was Efunsetan Aniwura, an Egba descendant (who became Iyalode of Ibadan). Efunsetan Aniwura (owner of Gold) was a wealthy business woman at Oja-Oba in Ibadan, she owns lots of landed property and hundreds of slaves. Oral evidence reveals that she had three large farms with no less than 100 slaves working on each at a time. She extended credit facilities as form of ammunition to the various Ibadan warriors (Ajagun’ta) when they were going on their military expeditions in 1872.

She had a terrible sense of loss. Her only daughter died in 1860 during childbirth. Therefore, with the stigma of not having a progeny to inherit her legacies, she blamed God for her tragedy and vent anger on her slave and the society, becoming wicked, cruel and heartless. Her slaves are usually identified in the market with signs of cane stripes all over their body. Efunsetan kicked against the military expansion of Aare Latoosa and stopped extending credit facilities to Latoosa when Latoosa set out for another war in 1874 (Osewa, 2005; Ilesanmi, 2010). After returning from battle field, Latoosa levied three charges against Efunsetan which led to plot of death against her around 1874.

In 1893 Ibadan area became a British Protectorate after a treaty signed by Fijabi, the Baale of Ibadan with the British acting Governor of Lagos, George C. Denton on 15 August. By then the population of Ibadan had grown to round 120,000 which made Ibadan the third most populated City in the whole of Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg. The British developed the new colony to facilitate Ibadan commercial activities and Ibadan shortly grew into the major trading center that it is today

Long live Ibadan…Long live Yoruba...

By: Raymond Ayinla Ajeigbe

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by emiye(m): 9:12pm On Aug 23, 2013

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by oduaboy1: 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
cheesy:p:p
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
odua boy: Very rich history,i need igbos history

you dey look for trouble o! you go wound o!
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by funnyx(m): 10:15pm On Aug 23, 2013

Singing palava you dey want undecided
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by oduaboy1: 10:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
Does this mean ibos dont any history,so they were just pulled out from the forest in 1914
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by IGBOSON1: 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2013
odua boy: Does this mean ibos dont any history,so they were just pulled out from the forest in 1914

^^^Bros, dem take Ndigbo swear for you!? undecided

Someone posted a history of Yorubas, and you're agonizing over Ndigbo; wanting to see theirs as well! Of all the 200+ ethnicities in Nigeria, you zero in on Ndigbo, demanding they post theirs!

Bros, you see your life!?

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 24, 2013
odua boy: Does this mean ibos dont any history,so they were just pulled out from the forest in 1914
Haba ehn, wetin be ur problem self, leave dis people (Ndigbo) alone now!
@OP, dis is sweet, I like the way it connects some of the scattered histories I have. But I know fit see d picture o!
Noo wonder, d place to go for all Yoruba people is Ibadan, b4 d emergence of mordern Lagos and even up till today! Ibadan is a 'no man's land' of the Yorubas! I wish to settle there one day!

1 Like

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by emiye(m): 1:54am On Aug 24, 2013
cogitoErgo: Haba ehn, wetin be ur problem self, leave dis people (Ndigbo) alone now!
@OP, dis is sweet, I like the way it connects some of the scattered histories I have. But I know fit see d picture o!
Noo wonder, d place to go for all Yoruba people is Ibadan, b4 d emergence of mordern Lagos and even up till today! Ibadan is a 'no man's land' of the Yorubas! I wish to settle there one day!

Apologies not attaching the picture, i have not been a able to figure out why the pix refuse to be attached, i hope i will do that soon.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Ikengawo: 2:04am On Aug 24, 2013
War seemed to be so consistent in yoruba history. It seems so many cities and sub groups were formed off people fleeing or running form war. There are large groups of displaced Yoruba tribes are far as delta state
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 4:17am On Aug 24, 2013

Dud, why must u pick only d ibo tribe among. Hundreds of tribes to know their history in a very rude insulting way without any provocation

I think u are suffering from a very serious inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 24, 2013

Dud, why must u pick only d ibo tribe among Hundreds of tribes to know their history in a very rude insulting way without any provocation

I think u are suffering from a very serious inferiority complex.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by seanet02: 4:19am On Aug 24, 2013
Ikengawo: War seemed to be so consistent in yoruba history. It seems so many cities and sub groups were formed off people fleeing or running form war. There are large groups of displaced Yoruba tribes are far as delta state
Yes war is very prominent in Yoruba history because we don't use wrestling to settle our disputes especially on land and trade powers tussle.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Katsumoto: 4:33am On Aug 24, 2013

Very unnecessary. Your comments will likely detract from the main purpose of the thread.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 24, 2013
Ikengawo: War seemed to be so consistent in yoruba history. It seems so many cities and sub groups were formed off people fleeing or running form war. There are large groups of displaced Yoruba tribes are far as delta state
So u want to join Odua Boy to start nonsense, abi?
who no get war dat time? Fulani get war, war dey Tuareg, Mali, Sudan, even Europe and America get wars. If ur people na d only people wey no get war dat time, den lucky you!
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by oduaboy1: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2013
Lol seems am getting on many ibos nerves
Was only joking ooo before una go eat me
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by T8ksy(m): 8:35am On Aug 24, 2013

yes o, as it was the theme in those days. Anyway, it still hasn't stopped you guys from calling us "cowards" and "war-shy" even when we have proof of having fought a 17yrs war among ourselves which you guys impishly refers to, as a wrestling contest.

If we yorubas are not prone to fighting over little issues, its not due to our lack of intestinal fortitude but rather because we have learnt the cost of gratuitous war where simple diplomacy and dialogue would have suffice.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by goldfish80(m): 9:15am On Aug 24, 2013
T8ksy:

yes o, as it was the theme in those days. Anyway, it still hasn't stopped you guys from calling us "cowards" and "war-shy" even when we have proof of having fought a 17yrs war among ourselves which you guys impishly refers to, as a wrestling contest.

If we yorubas are not prone to fighting over little issues, its not due to our lack of intestinal fortitude but rather because we have learnt the cost of gratuitous war where simple diplomacy and dialogue would have suffice.
I think what he's saying is that Yorubas have many sub-groups displaced in other parts across Naij as a result of those running away from the fight/war/wrestling match or whatever you guys call it.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by T8ksy(m): 10:00am On Aug 24, 2013
goldfish80:
I think what he's saying is that Yorubas have many sub-groups displaced in other parts across Naij as a result of those running away from the fight/war/wrestling match or whatever you guys call it.

Ibadan is not the only town that owes its creation to yorubas internal conflicts. Abeokuta is another classical example. They were WARS. Even the colonialists witnessed some of them and they recorded it as WARS but you guys who have no recorded history of having participated in any major war (save the biafran war which you lost, woefully) demeans it in your usual malicious trait by calling it "wrestling contest". Yet you guys have not been able to show us any culture that created an empire as big as the Oyo empire from wrestling contests.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Horus(m): 10:37am On Aug 24, 2013
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 24, 2013
Horus:
is that the old Ibadan? which year is that pic taken? couldn't help but notice the metal roofing sheets!
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 24, 2013
lovely piece
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by warlei(m): 11:34am On Aug 24, 2013
cogitoErgo:
is that the old Ibadan? which year is that pic taken? couldn't help but notice the metal roofing sheets!

i beleive ibadan is a beautiful city depending on which way you see it,i have lived there for a year.
Most of my relations from ibadan cant stay in lagos 4 1 week they will run back 2 ibadan.
i'm hoping to establish a foundation,that will fund the re-roofing of this city and building of little walkways with street lights
Im from ondo,bt IB and ABK are 2 cities i love with passion.
When ever i see early pictures of ibadan. I see what AWO beleived in.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by juman(m): 11:40am On Aug 24, 2013
warlei:
i beleive ibadan is a beautiful city depending on which way you see it,i have lived there for a year.
Most of my relations from ibadan cant stay in lagos 4 1 week they will run back 2 ibadan.
i'm hoping to establish a foundation,that will fund the re-roofing of this city and building of little walkways with street lights
Im from ondo,bt IB and ABK are 2 cities i love with passion.
When ever i see early pictures of ibadan. I see what AWO beleived in.

Yeah, Ibadan is good place to live.

I lived in Ilorin but stayed in Ibadan for some months. It was a good, nice and cool place to live.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by juman(m): 11:42am On Aug 24, 2013
nigerian buildings are too backward and not up to standard.

No to one nigeria.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by kunlekunle: 12:18pm On Aug 24, 2013

after the war you form a nation and live happily. From their you create a monolithic system that embraces all.
check world history.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by kunlekunle: 12:22pm On Aug 24, 2013
T8ksy:

u shd remind him of ogendengbe's statement. that after the kiriji war there would never be a single war again in and on yoruba land. all were involved and suffered.
thats why the igbos are struggling to create a monolithic system in the east.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by kunlekunle: 12:24pm On Aug 24, 2013
T8ksy:

Ibadan is not the only town that owes its creation to yorubas internal conflicts. Abeokuta is another classical example. They were WARS. Even the colonialists witnessed some of them and they recorded it as WARS but you guys who have no recorded history of having participated in any major war (save the biafran war which you lost, woefully) demeans it in your usual malicious trait by calling it "wrestling contest". Yet you guys have not been able to show us any culture that created an empire as big as the Oyo empire from wrestling contests.

u shd let him realise no one studied igbo empire in sec school?

1 Like

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Katsumoto: 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2013
kunlekunle:

u shd remind him of ogendengbe's statement. that after the kiriji war there would never be a single war again in and on yoruba land. all were involved and suffered.
thats why the igbos are struggling to create a monolithic system in the east.

Aare Latoosa is responsible for that statement. His belief was that he was going to defeat all other sub-groups and that after that, there wouldn't be other wars. He meant he was going to crush them. But it was quite prophetic nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Horus(m): 1:00pm On Aug 24, 2013
cogitoErgo:

I don't know which year that picture was taken
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 24, 2013
Horus:

I don't know which year that picture was taken
I was just thinking of how mordernization came to Ibadan while many part of Nigeria could still be under their grass roofs!

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Pukkah: 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2013
Ibadan - running splash of gold and rust, flung among seven hills, like broken china in the sun. J.P. Clark

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Red Cross Threatens To Vacate Nigeria Following The Killing Of Hauwa Liman / Enugu Holds Requiem Mass For Pupils Of Presentation School Who Died In Accident / APC Membership Hits 15.2 Million, Vows To Win 2019 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.