Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? (4913 Views)

Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! / Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? / Is Feminism Un-African and Anti-Human? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 7:02am On Jun 13, 2006
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."
Originated by Irina Dunn, an Australian educator.
But popularized by Gloria Steinem, founder of National Organization for Women (NOW) and Ms. Magazine.
A leading (if not the quintessential) American feminist of the 20th century.
(Just wanted to attribute the quote.)

@ToyM2B
Please, can you tell us why we need to retain patriarchy in societies of the world. Please give examples. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Thanks.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by ToyM28(f): 1:43pm On Jun 13, 2006
@ chinani, their are some positions in soceity that if women take up, wld be inaffective. That is because we are emotional 2 handle such positions. An example of these positions is: RELIGIOUS LEADERS. By religious leaders i aint saying a priest in church, i mean Bishops, Popes (influential religious positions).

Dont get me wrong, i hate male chauvinism and egotistical behavious sometimes. But i have to agree that patriachy and matriachy works well in a soceity 2gether. If wowen were of equal leaders in religious situations, i'm so sure that we'll get 2 upheaved about most of the criticism and emotions that this men can recieve almost everyday.

Patriachy is not bad, equality is good, but we have 2 know the distinction between eqaulity and unreasonability.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Seun(m): 4:32pm On Jun 13, 2006
chinani, their are some positions in soceity that if women take up, would be inaffective. That is because we are emotional 2 handle such positions. An example of these positions is: RELIGIOUS LEADERS. By religious leaders i aint saying a priest in church, i mean Bishops, Popes (influential religious positions).
Was Pastor Bimbo Odukoya, as a prominent female minister, inferior to the men in any way?
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by IAH(f): 4:40pm On Jun 13, 2006
Seun:

Was Pastor Bimbo Odukoya, as a prominent female minister, inferior to the men in any way?

You! beat me to it. I was going to mention Mother Theresa, Kathryn Kuhlman, Joyce Meyer and our own Bimbo Odukoya.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 5:57pm On Jun 13, 2006
Well I for one don't see where men take the religious or moral highground away from women. Think of the number of (male) hypocrites, adulterers and child abusers. . .now narrow your thoughts to only those who've been Pope! You'll find more than 2 dozen. I don't know that a woman could have done any worse.

Also, patriarchy & matriarchy are mutually exclusive. They can not exist at the same time.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Nia: 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

@ chinani, their are some positions in soceity that if women take up, would be inaffective. That is because we are emotional 2 handle such positions. An example of these positions is: RELIGIOUS LEADERS. By religious leaders i aint saying a priest in church, i mean Bishops, Popes (influential religious positions).

Dont get me wrong, i hate male chauvinism and egotistical behavious sometimes. But i have to agree that patriachy and matriachy works well in a soceity 2gether. If wowen were of equal leaders in religious situations, i'm so sure that we'll get 2 upheaved about most of the criticism and emotions that this men can recieve almost everyday.

Patriachy is not bad, equality is good, but we have 2 know the distinction between eqaulity and unreasonability.

LOL
I don't want to make any assumptions here, but I'll say you've got to broaden your horizon and move around with intelligent (and different types) of women so you can get a better perspective on life.
There's nothing written in a woman's DNA code that says she can't or cannot do THIS or THAT. How you grow up and the experiences you grow up with strongly affects the type of person you become. This is where generalizations--like the ones you made above-- loses the plot.

For example, you can't put a woman who grows up being prepped to become successful or to set high goals for themselves in the same category as those who are raised to believe that their ultimate goal in life is to become a good wife and know how to cook, or that being an emotional wreck is the norm. Conventional wisdom tells us that these people will likely take different paths in life. And will use what they have been taught accordingly. All in all, I will encourage you to move around different circles of women.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by spikyn: 7:30pm On Jun 13, 2006
@ Chinani. Kudos, you actually did the footwork and provided those details I'd deliberately omitted. That gives me new respect for you.

But you do know what happened to/with Ms Steinem much later ba? wink
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 7:37pm On Jun 13, 2006
@Spikyn
Are you referring to her marriage? smiley But feminists needn't be spinsters. I don't think that's a prerequisite.
And thanks for the respect.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by SvS(f): 7:40pm On Jun 13, 2006
chinani:

@Spikyn
Are you referring to her marriage? smiley But feminists needn't be spinsters. I don't think that's a prerequisite.
And thanks for the respect.
i agree
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by ToyM28(f): 7:47pm On Jun 13, 2006
U guyz dont get me wrong, and pls dont tell me 2 walk wiv intelligent woen cuz i walk wiv dose nd i work dem as well.

But as for bimbo odukoya, she was a minister but m talkng about high religious ppl. Ok lets 4get i sed religion. All am saying, is dat i'm a lady (well i hope so cheesy), and i know dat sometimes things can be uneaual. But feminist that yap, DOWN WITH PATHRIACHY AND MEN, is taking it 2 d extreme.

I dont care about those, that just want equality, i respect that. But dose that take it 2 d extreme, 2 me are jobless and arent reasoning beyond their present state of mind. Because if ya'll shld think bout it, patraichy is a huge part of our lifes and existence. Whether we like it or not, and by waging war on men in general without having a specific focus (like equal pay or recognition for women enlightenment), they are just creating unnecesarry tension.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 8:05pm On Jun 13, 2006
Well I'm glad you responded Toy2MB, b/c I don't think feminism is about bringing men down. (Or at least not the feminism I subscribe to.) I think that people are afraid of feminism b/c they think it's about bringing men down. Now, there's nothing wrong w/ humbling a person wink (gender notwithstanding) but bringing men and/or women down will not help the cause of humanity. We must respect each other.

Tell me, do you agree w/ Weev's (basic) defn of feminism on page 1?
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by ToyM28(f): 8:09pm On Jun 13, 2006
Honestly, i do not mind that definition. Infact if that is d case i'll subscribe 2 feminism grin

But the truth is that not all feminism is like that, there are some who ve been reported in the papers 2 hold some kind of demonstration saying DOWN 2 MEN, WOMEN SHLD BE D ONLY ONES IN POLITICS, YEEE 2 POLITICAL LESBAINISM!
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 8:10pm On Jun 13, 2006
Well I have never heard or seen that, but you're right: not all feminist philosophy or practice is the same.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by ToyM28(f): 8:14pm On Jun 13, 2006
Dats why i have an issue wiv feminism, not dat my work and walk wiv illiterates. In fact, momsy and popsy, are hell bent on educating african women 2 speak out. And dat it their job. They do that.

So ppl saying i shld walk with more educated are just being unfair, i know wat am talkng about. M not just some illiterate trying 2 sound funky, i know that feminism has been takng 2 d extreme and if we are not careful, it wld be again.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 8:40pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

Dats why i have an issue with feminism, not that my work and walk with illiterates. In fact, momsy and popsy, are hell bent on educating african women 2 speak out. And that it their job. They do that.
I don't completely get this.

ToyM28:
So people saying i shld walk with more educated are just being unfair, i know what am talkng about. M not just some illiterate trying 2 sound funky, i know that feminism has been takng to the extreme and if we are not careful, it would be again.
Well I don't think that the fear of extremes is the best reason to not join. For instance, ice cream and a big Mac might make a child fat and diabetic if they are abused (or taken to extremes) but as long as caution and common sense prevails there is not much to fear. We must trust ourselves with common sense. We can not pretend that men have common sense and we do not. That is not fair and it's irresponsible of women to do/think so. Furthermore, doesn't patriarchy have ugly extremes? The extreme of institutionalized, societal patriarchy is. . . Slavery. That's right folks; it is not only women who suffer under patriarchy. And the "lesser" extreme of patriarchy is serfdom. (I'm sure that living in the UK you must know that such staples as tea time were inventing to keep the unbathed, illiterate working classes alive on hot water and stale bread so that they would not die of malnourishment before the end of their 12 hour work day.)

So you see they both have extremes. But perhaps we'd do better to compare other things and not just the slippery slope.

Abeg, where is the resident feminist on Nairaland, Nferyn? Holiday?
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Nia: 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

Dats why i have an issue with feminism, not that my work and walk with illiterates. In fact, momsy and popsy, are hell bent on educating african women 2 speak out. And that it their job. They do that.

So people saying i shld walk with more educated are just being unfair, i know what am talkng about. M not just some illiterate trying 2 sound funky, i know that feminism has been takng to the extreme and if we are not careful, it would be again.

When I said you should broaden your horizon, I wasn't trying to be offensive. It's just that when someone writes things like "women are too emotional to_______ " or "women can't do this cause they are women " it speaks more about the writer and it comes across like the person who is speaking has a limited view of the real world. Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive. (For example, I know several women who kicks ass in everything they do because they have high expectations of themselves. I also know women who can't be bothered with competing for top positions and those who lack the competitive drive to be in leadership positions.) Having said this, it would be hard for me to make the type of generalizations you did in your post or claim that patriarchy is what society needs.

I understand your point that some people take feminism to the extreme. And I oppose those kind of extreme life styles partly because it is a quick way to turn into the same thing you're trying to fight against. Not to mention that men have also greatly contributed to the feminist movement. 
Having said this, though, the extremities in feminism is no reason to demonize the entire movement or cast a shadow on the accomplishments this movement has made in our world today. Especially when we consider that without such movement, you prolly wouldn't be able to log on to Nairaland and share your opinion unless a male guardian gives you permission cheesy  cheesy cheesy

Most of the freedoms women have today would not be possible without the past feminists that dedicated their lives to such a cause. Again, I, too, oppose extremities and I will also add that feminism still has some ways to go.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by weev(f): 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

M not just some illiterate trying 2 sound funky, i know that feminism has been taken to the extreme and if we are not careful, it would be again.

ToyM28 when exactly was it taken to the extreme?  what would be the extreme? did I miss it?
the definition i gave would be recognized and accepted by any sociologist if you wrote me an essay with this as the basis of you argument you would be my star pupil,

However if anyone wrote, to quote you- "But the truth is that not all feminism is like that, there are some who ve been reported in the papers 2 hold some kind of demonstration saying DOWN 2 MEN, WOMEN SHLD BE D ONLY ONES IN POLITICS, YEEE 2 POLITICAL LESBAINISM!"  they would be rewriting it as they clearly do not understand the feminist perspective.

so ToyM28 stop worrying about the few militant feminists that the media love to report and embrace the feminist in you.

As Nia said if i were not for the feminists of yesteryear you would not be taking part in the discussion today.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by ToyM28(f): 11:20pm On Jun 13, 2006
Nia, i agree wiv u. Not all is taken 2 d extreme. But wen women say, i support eqaul pay nd down wiv chauvinism, can u consider dat as feminism?

Weev, tnx alot. M flattered, but its true nd it happesn
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by weev(f): 11:27pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28- yeah that is most definitely feminism, you are (like it or not) a feminist. let me embrace you my feminist sister kiss

@Nia- i am very impressed

@chinani- as always, excellent points well put.

you ladies put me to shame your arguments are enthralling
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Nia: 4:49am On Jun 14, 2006
@weev, thanks   smiley smiley grin

@ToyM28
IMO, yes, I would consider that feminism as well.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 4:55am On Jun 14, 2006
Thanks Weev! cheesy Now can you write me a grad school rec? ~j/k~
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Nia: 2:06pm On Jun 14, 2006
abeg, what is going on o  undecided ? enh? something (somebody??) keep putting an m next to my name and I know I didn't do it. I am not a man jo!
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by chinani(f): 7:10pm On Jun 14, 2006
@Nia
You can change your gender just got to the "Please update your profile!" button at the top of the page. wink
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by fayahsoul: 5:18pm On Mar 27, 2009
We need to first overstand the impact that colonialism, christianity/islam and capitalism has had on traditional Alkebulan(or so-called african) society.

In pre-colonial times women were treated far more equitably and honourably. Women had political and economic power that was more or less in par with that of males. Women were influential; they served as chiefs, warriors, empresses and held other important positions of authority. Women were part of the divine preisthood who served as intercessors between the people and the Gods/Goddesses/ancestors. Women had equal access to communal lands which conferred the possibility of social mobility and economic empowerment. Some societies in Alkebulan were matriarchal, tracing lineage and entitlements to inheritance through the mothers' family. Monuments, liberal arts, literature and all powerful deities were dedicated to the divine feminine principal(see ancient Kemet/egypt for some of the most elaborate forms of these expressions)

All this was destroyed when Colonialism introduced the masculine ideology of patriachy which drastically re-defined our traditional identities, values, high morals and norms, all of which elevated women to their rightful place in society. Patrimonial political systems were established where patrons whom personalized the state bureaucracy and privatized national resources bought clients over whom in turn organized support from the masses.

Capitalism imposed the commercialization of farm lands which were transformed from communal lands to private lands and ownership were tranfered solely to men. This disadvantaged women and reduced their economic power markedly.The introduction of legal tender/money through taxable cash cropping systems further strenghtened the "male-bread-winner" family code system and, in the proces, female right to employment equity was relegated to the back seat.

Then christianity/islam introduced belief systems that indoctrinated the alkebulanite on the inherent inferiority of women. These religions acknowlegde God the father, God the Son but not God the mother. The supreme position of the divine female principle is denied. Women are banned from preisthood. Women are said to have been made from just one rib in the male despite her genetic superiority. Women in alkebulan identify with, and are devoted to, religions that teach male superiority over wombmen/women.

So my dear sistas, as you can see , the black male is not your enemy. Know your enemy. Your hatred for the oppressor must be externalized not internalized. Be mad at your religion and those white/arab devils who imposed them on your ancestors, Be furious at this universalized liberal market systems that is governed by neo-liberal policies which are anti-woman enpowerment in essence. The white/arab male's enmity toward the feminine principle is genetic and has a long savage history that goes way back to the caves and hills of the caucasus mountians where their females were brutalized in every way imaginable. That's also why white females have a pressing psychological need for liberation.

But as usual these devils have dragged our sistas into their madness and savagery.

My sistas, you must resist being manipulated and used as an instrument of confusion and destruction in our families, and by extension, our communities and nation. Wake up sista, love thy self and join in our collective uncompromising fight against these foreign ideologies and models.

It's all about our right to self-determination.

Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 30, 2009
From my dictionary upstairs ~ Feminism is the process whereby God / earthly demons manufactured a female (girl) and is given birth to by a woman.
cool tongue
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by bluespice(f): 8:36pm On Mar 31, 2009
my signature is what i subscribe to
i think im a feminist because i belive in the equal rights of both genders
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by Phillfree(m): 9:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
It's a movement or theory supporting women's right on the grounds of equality of the sexes.
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by fayahsoul: 12:55am On Apr 01, 2009
The word feminism shouldn't even be on the lips of females of alkebulan descent because that label connotes a eurocentric agenda. Just like every other eurocentric approach to problems that seeks to label, grade, compartmentalize and reduce components of whole dynamic networks, feminism entails the existence of some sort of universal conflict with an opposite pole i.e 'masculinism'. However, this conflict is unique to white/arab societies and the assumed universality is a falsehood. The historical paradigm of whites and arabs disallows any induction of female empowerment as divine law that's why it's framed as an 'ism'

The overlapping of the goals and demands of both 'feminazists' and 'feminists' blurs whatever supposed boundaries that exists between them.

The empowerment goals that our sistas should be engaged in has nothing to do with feminism because it is not an 'ism' rather it is right action; a quickening of the elevation of consciousness. Their empowerment goals should be envisioned as an indigenous movement that will enable women to resurrect the black family and nation, and not as a petty competition with the black man for societal privileges. The usefulness of an empowerment goal must be judged by its effectiveness at facilitating functional and progressive family units and community structures
Re: Definition Of Feminism: What Is Feminism? by mccloud224(m): 3:06am On Oct 29, 2009
Feminism is shit! ! ! Even women are beginning to realize this.Type "feminism" or "dangers of feminism" on you tube and you will be amazed on how. . .

Jezz, this topic is so annoying.I'm done here.Make i sleep jare.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

*For Guys Only* : Assess Nairaland Babes Here / Woman Steals Money, Hides In Her Vagina / 2face Accuires Private Jet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.