Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking (11170 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 9:11am On Oct 21, 2013
No Work No Pay Rule Is Obsolete, Inhuman And Barbaric - ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has declared that no amount of threat through the implementation of no-work-no-pay rule applied by the federal government would force its members to suspend their four months old industrial action.

According to a statement issued in Ado-Ekiti State, yesterday by ASUU, Ilorin Zone and signed by its coordinator, Dr. Ayan Adeleke, the union said owners of private universities, who had allegedly been advising President Goodluck Jonathan to whip ASUU into line through no-work-no-pay rule, were doing so for selfish motives.

Adeleke said the threat against his members for their failure to suspend the strike would not deter it from fighting to a logical conclusion.

The body, who lashed out at those advising the president to apply the rule, which he described as ‘barbaric, obsolete and inhuman’, said no amount of pressure would dissuade the union from ensuring that the federal government implemented the agreements reached with the body in 2009.

Adeleke, who is the Chairman of the Ekiti State University chapter of ASUU, expressed displeasure at the federal government’s resort to blackmail to coerce ASUU to back-down on the struggle.
According to him, this would further fan the ember of acrimony between the body and the government.

He urged “people and organisations appealing to ASUU to call off the strike to first appeal to the federal government to implement the agreements freely entered into in 2009. to also prevail."

The ASUU Chairman said the union was appealing to the President of National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Yinka Gbadebo, to dissociate himself from ASUU’s strike.

He said the action was the least expected from a body the academic union was trying to protect.
Adeleke assured that ASUU would thwart the alleged efforts by some leaders and cabals, who are masquerading as proprietors of private universities to stifle the public universities to expand the scope of their business empires.

He said: “ASUU is fighting for the sustenance of the Nigerian universities so that half-baked graduates will not litter the labour market while the society will come back to blame their lecturers.
“We will not succumb to blackmail. We will remain focused and insist that the 2009 agreements be implemented,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/strike-no-work-no-pay-rule-will-not-deter-us-ASUU-insists/162222/
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 9:13am On Oct 21, 2013
You know there's a problem when savages are accusing others of barbarism! Intellectuals indeed.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Webmoneycccom: 9:17am On Oct 21, 2013
"Prayer and Love is all we need to survive" God bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by demelza: 9:25am On Oct 21, 2013
Striving to eat in a place where you dont work is also barbaric, obsolete and shouldnt be condoned.

21 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by TechRev: 9:41am On Oct 21, 2013
demelza: Striving to eat in a place where you dont work is also barbaric, obsolete and shouldnt be condoned.
Thats one of our problems, Nigerians don't want to reap what they sow, rather they want to reap what they did not sow and where they did not sow.
Am not supporting FG but No work no pay has always been a fair bargain from time.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:43am On Oct 21, 2013
This people are obviously living in the stone age. Here in the UK, you don't get paid for any hour you are on strike.

8 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 21, 2013
Technically, not paying them their salaries is forcing them against their wish/will.
These people are advocates of better tertiary institutions for and in Nigeria, though the movement is somewhat selfish.

However, if it materialises, the fate of our universities will change for good.

On another note, the ASUU never considered the psychological welfare of the students before deciding to embark on an indefinite strike... They should have looked for other alternatives instead.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Very soon, MTN and other networks will start making money from ASUU Strike. You'll see stuff like: To get all news on ASUU Strike, text ASUU to 38343. Costs N100/week. Predict when ASUU will call off strike and stand a chance to be a winner in the MTN PREDICT AND WIN PROMO. Text your predictions to 38323. N100/SMS. Download the new ASUU Callertune and get your callers grooving.

20 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Idokosolomon(m): 9:47am On Oct 21, 2013
ASUU should know that they are suffering students of public Universities.They should have a rethink for the seek of Nigeria students.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:53am On Oct 21, 2013
They don't want to work but they want to get paid in the process using their students as the sacrifice. The word inhuman should be used for ASUU because have never seen an organization whereby u don't work and yet u expect to get paid.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by lertee(f): 9:56am On Oct 21, 2013
The FG is gradually achieving their aim,they are noww playing the victim.

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by PointB: 9:56am On Oct 21, 2013
No work, no pay is standard practice. It's fair and square.

If ASUU want to be paid, they should get back to 'work' !

6 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Afam4eva(m): 10:02am On Oct 21, 2013
How is it barbaric and inhuman. Why should people reap where they did not sow?

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:24am On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva: How is it barbaric and inhuman. Why should people reap where they did not sow?
Was thinking your gonna close this topic when I saw ur name as the last poster. grin
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2013
Afam4eva: How is it barbaric and inhuman. Why should people reap where they did not sow?

So, you mean the dilapidated, STDs, rotten infested toilets and other facilities in the universities are humane treatments?

The packing of students in lecture theatres is humane too?

The inadequate dirty hostel facilities is humane abi?

What about the scanty laboratories? Humane too?
Students reading with torchlights and lanterns, humane too?

I'm not justifying their embarking on strike though, but looking at the situation from two angles will pay more.

Or what do you think?

7 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 10:31am On Oct 21, 2013
emmysenior:

So, you mean the dilapidated, STDs, rotten infested toilets and other facilities in the universities are humane treatments?

The packing of students in lecture theatres is humane too?

The inadequate dirty hostel facilities is humane abi?

What about the scanty laboratories? Humane too?
Students reading with torchlights and lanterns, humane too?

I'm not justifying their embarking on strike though, but looking at the situation from two angles will pay more.

Or what do you think?
Why dont you try speaking from just one side of your mouth? Speaking from both sides makes you sound like a half wit.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 21, 2013
emmysenior: Technically, not paying them their salaries is forcing them against their wish/will.
These people are advocates of better tertiary institutions for and in Nigeria, though the movement is somewhat selfish.

On another note, the ASUU never considered the psychological welfare of the students before deciding to embark on an indefinite strike... They should have looked for other alternatives instead.
I had wanted to rebuke you but a second look at your last paragraph stopped me. Those foools need to go back to job market. Only then will they realize the effect of their stupidity and selfishness on the future leaders of Nigeria. They don't work but they expect salaries. Idiioots undecided

6 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:33am On Oct 21, 2013
emmysenior: Technically, not paying them their salaries is forcing them against their wish/will.

Dude, no work no pay is standard practice. In the UK, you don't get paid for days you are on strike.

If transport operators should go on strike because of the bad state of our roads, should the government then compensate them for losing income on those days?

10 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by donphilopus: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2013
Enough Is Enough na, why are they doing this na?? I don't like this na, they should try and suspend the strike and continue with their Negotiation
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Abbycite(m): 10:54am On Oct 21, 2013
Hunger don dey set in for them (ASUU).... I av always blame d FG, how can pple go on strike and u contiue to pay their salaries. If u decide to go on strike either for just or unjust cause, u should know d financial implication of ur action.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:02am On Oct 21, 2013
This makes me remember the Biafran War. Why feed the enemy, they will just get stronger if u keep feeding dem. On the other hand if u starve them dey would come back to their senses and surrender

2 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2013
Disruption of the students academic calendar is Barbaric,obsolete and inhuman too

3 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 21, 2013
He that does not work, let him not also eat.
-Paul of Tarsus

4 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by 1MCN: 11:12am On Oct 21, 2013
My take is this, for as long as they stay at home, their salaries and other emoluments should be kept on hold pending when they resume work. Then their full arrears should be paid to them.

Secondly, when they return, they should be slammed a heavy law suit by the students who pay their fees and never get any service whatsoever for their money, and no apologies. Labour must have some power/voice in every clime but this our own are simply acting like MOST HIGH. Or, is their no laws protecting the rights of students from such infringements in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2013
^ There probably are but no one seems to have any need for them. The moment the strike is called off, students are just too glad to be back in school that the mere talk of a lawsuit would sound like treason!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by anselm791(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
Is it just me or is ASUU news begining to get boring?

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Demdem(m): 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
Kudos to ASUU. am really proud of them.
They shouldnt bother themselves with the no work no pay shyte.
Govt will still pay them and the years of allownaces being owned them not yet paid.
Those that were not paid for years in Unilorin were eventually paid in a day making them multi-millionaires even though they were teaching in other Unis.
No work no pay no matter how honourable it is isnt the solution, the solution is the implementation of signed agreement. its honourable on the part of govt to honour her part of the agreement and let ASUU also honor hers
A labourer is entitled to his wage. let Govt Pay ASUU what is being owned them in allowances over the years and see ASUU get back to classes. Failure to do that, i dont expect them in there.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by PeeDaVinci: 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2013
afaik, No Work No Pay Rule is the rule in the western countries, so, i guess they are barbaric. imo, you should only be paid for the number of days you work. i am aware that this gives the govt some undue privileges, but i believe fair is fair, you dont work, you dont eat.
the fight to save the university should not be fought in collaboration with all the stakeholders in university education- students, nasu, parents, even industries. and in case they are not really willing to be part of the fight, there are ways that ASUU can use to force them to join in this fight without going on strike "technically" e.g. delaying exams indefinitely because of some course modules that can not be taught given the current funding, not releasing exam results, slowing down the curriculum, giving students assignments that cant be solve because of university funding, not graduating students etc.

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by sambas: 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.. Thank God we are not the only one being affected by the strike, The useless lectueres children are also at home. No work no pay! lets see how they will manage their affairs, In the game of football we call this 2-0.. In my own case its 2-1 cos they are paying my father... Bastard ASUU

2 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
Demdem: Kudos to ASUU. am really proud of them.
They shouldnt bother themselves with the no work no pay shyte.
Govt will still pay them and the years of allownaces being owned them not yet paid.
Those that were not paid for years in Unilorin were eventually paid in a day making them multi-millionaires even though they were teaching in other Unis.
No work no pay no matter how honourable it is isnt the solution, the solution is the implementation of signed agreement. its honourable on the part of govt to honour her part of the agreement and let ASUU also honor hers
A labourer is entitled to his wage. let Govt Pay ASUU what is being owned them in allowances over the years and see ASUU get back to classes. Failure to do that, i dont expect them in there.
DemdeMoron, there's a difference between 'owned' and 'owed' was it non payment of salaries that made your lecturers not teach you that? Ok I see you were supposed to have learnt that in primary school. Now tell me, if our entire education budget is channeled towards tertiary education and paying lecturer allowances how do we cater for children and give them good basic education? Or would you rather we keep churning out semi literates that do not know the difference between 'owed' and 'owned'?

5 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Demdem(m): 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
wesley80: DemdeMoron, there's a difference between 'owned' and 'owed' was it non payment of salaries that made your lecturers not teach you that? Ok I see you were supposed to have learnt that in primary school. Now tell me, if our entire education budget is channeled towards tertiary education and paying lecturer allowances how do we cater for children and give them good basic education? Or would you rather we keep churning out semi literates that do not know the difference between 'owed' and 'owned'?
[b]
Wesfool, why don't u proceed to literary section of the forum and start picking up typo errors. I ain't interested in such. Continue ur rants, the pleasure is mine.
Back to business cheesy
Again, was the agreement not made and agreed upon before the budget itself was conceived? Didn't Jonathan also agreed with the details when Yaradua signed it?
When ASUU went on strike last year and later called off having had an MOU with the govt then, was the budget prepared then?
What foolish budget are u even reffering to?
It's obvious to sane minds that the govt simply don't want to honour the agreement and that explains why its not reflected in the budget but oduahs cars and abuja city gates seems to be there grin grin
Anyway, that's not ASUUs headache but govt. ASUU just want agreement honoured which I believe its noble enough.
Let Jonathan send supplementary budget or whatever to NASS, agreement must be honored.

Fool, budgets are prepared by humans and not celestial beings. Those that delibrately refused to incorporate details of signed agreement into it will be forced to.
[/b]

8 Likes

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by wesley80(m): 1:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
^ Typo indeed. Instead wey you go gree say you didnt know the difference you're blaming it on typo. You've made that same mistake in virtually every thread you've had this discussion and here you are blaming it on 'typo' when someone finally points it out. Olodo

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ado-ekiti "admission Stuffs,update,post Utme Info" / Nnpc/chevron 2011/2012 Undergraduate Scholarship For Nigerians / Uniben Students Sign Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.