Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (18893 Views)

No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Map Out Strategies To Survive Fg’s ‘no Work No Pay’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 12:54pm On Aug 26, 2013
priceless pearl: Those who are clamoring for the strike to continue are not wearing the shoes of the students. Granted, the public university is a far cry from what a standard university should be but making students sit at home for too long is not the best way to fight 4 what is right. Anyway I can only pray FG co-operates.

Calm down, we have been there before and we know how it feels. I for one spent roughly 7yrs in Ife for a 5yrs course despite not having a single carry over throughout.
It's unfortunate but this is the only language FG understand. If we don't benefit, our children must.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by GlorifiedTunde(m): 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
I really feel ashamed of Nigerians pointing accusing fingers at ASUU, if you have not been to a university abroad before, at least you watch movies. Your parents pay taxes, everyone contributes one way or the other to this nation, and your government gives u terrible leadership, and you are here opening your mouth against ASUU. Graduates are now so unskillful, non-innovtive, substandard quality etc.

Their children skool in private institutions and abroad and come back as better products to be your bosses.

What is 500billion to University education? Good countries don't question the cost of education at all, because its for the future.

That's why we all live with a bleak future, when those in power are myopic illiterates calling themselves graduate.

They loot hundreds of billions a day and give peanuts back to the masses.

Now you prefer to praise FG (Thieves), than support ACADEMICS (Nation builders).

Continue o! Na there your grand pikin go meet you. SHIO!!!

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by seunajia: 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2013
Isusman: i wish ASUU will know what am passing through as a result of the strike.

Don't blame ASUU, its fighting OUR battle. Blame the government for promising and reneging, blame the government for underfunding our schools, blame the government for the mass of half baked unemployed and unemployable graduates roaming our streets. What is sense in getting a degree not worth the paper it was written on? This was one of the things Tim the British expatriate wrote about.

Imagine the avalanche effect an excellent educational system would have on our present economic state? considering that most of the technologies which the Nigerian people pay top dollar for are usually the work of university undergraduate or researches of other countries.

What is wrong with you people?! What kind of thoughtless docile youths do I myself amongst?

If truly "the youths are the future", as they say, I make it known to you this afternoon, without an atom of doubt in mind, THIS COUNTRY HAS NO FUTURE.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2013
I support ASUU on this ground....

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Sojebrand(m): 1:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
damoobaba:
You are a serious fool? ur brain is as empty as the brain of the leader of the govt u suppport.why don't u tell GEJ and his team to make sure the money released (if they do release the money) is well monitored & used only for the purpose it was meant for. (For the university devt). Do u have to be told dat education is dying in Nigeria? When foreign high schul expatriate workers are prefered over Nigerian graduates,when PHD holder are only good for driving jobs at Dangote.what's d essence of going to schul and nt sitting ur damn arse in your father's house until this is resolved or we force off those idiot's heads.
GOD bless you for this comment
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ignis: 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nice move from the FG, though coming a bit late.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Burger01(m): 1:45pm On Aug 26, 2013
Donalð Genes: make i sleep jawe after half a day tiring hustling

yawnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Ol boi, you waw waw no be small..

sad

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Ikandah: 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2013
#500billion? So, if FG can afford the #87billion for their supposed earned allowances in arrears, they wont go back to classes? This strike has definitely entered "Season Two".
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2013
Rome wasn't built in a day we don't expect our universities to transform overnigh, what ASUU is doing is great it would have been better if they had done it without the strike all this talk about ASUU been patriotic also bear in mind that as we speak half of them are travelling the world or going into private businesses we students are the ones bearing the burden so think again before u support ASUU or fg
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by david290(m): 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
Are u a student?
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by striker9(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2013
osy baby: Rome wasn't built in a day we don't expect our universities to transform overnigh, what ASUU is doing is great it would have been better if they had done it without the strike all this talk about ASUU been patriotic also bear in mind that as we speak half of them are travelling the world or going into private businesses we students are the ones bearing the burden so think again before u support ASUU or fg
You have a point,I'm not supporting fg but I think ASUU should use another method to achieve their aim.Most of the people supporting ASUU here are graduates,why must the earned allowances be the only problem with ASUU.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by david290(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2013
I'm not sure if u're a student.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by victor260(m): 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2013
Martx: The lecturers should go back to school and stop been adamant about this, all thier children are schooling outside the country.
Do u even fink b4 u type anitin here? lecturers dat are fighting for allowance, which money will they use 2 send their children abroad

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by timwezzb(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2013
Please Help ME...Were am I Standing?
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Fash20: 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2013
Off point noni
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by OlaRB(m): 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
The truth is that every Nigerian seems to have interest only for themselves and their immediate family. while it is Good to have more fund earmarked towards the growth of our tertiary institutions, I do not see this present strike as a solution. we all should understand that this issue of infrastructural deficit is not limited to our citadel of learning; the nation as a whole is faced with this same problem. so the question is, will the N500bn being agitated for not be marred with corruption. I won't be surprise in some years to come if I hear of so so and so committee making investigation on how N500bn fund was .................. just like oil subsidy and many other government project. Until every Nigerian begin to imbibe the virtue of sacrifice, Nigeria will not be a nation to make boast of.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by 4Play(m): 3:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
One thing that is not understood in discussing public policy is that any request to spend more requires an examination of the trade offs the extra spending entails. People say the FG should acquiesce to ASUU's demands since, after all, it spends a lot on militants, legislators and corruption. However, does anyone seriously believe that the money spent on meeting ASUU's demands will come from the money lost through corruption, militants or legislators?

Nigerian Govt revenues end up, for simplification, in 3 main pots: public sector wages/pensions, capital projects and corruption. The first and last probably soak up more than 90% of Govt revenues. Most Nigerians, perhaps 95%, are not in power or public sector workers or even dependants of those who fall under either groups. This means that more than 90% of Govt revenues is taken up by less than 5% of the population. The main benefit 95% of the population gets from Govt, apart from the questionable fuel subsidy, is public projects: roads, hospitals, schools, rail, ports,e.t.c. Therefore, a request to increase public sector wages is effectively a request to take out from the pot meant for the 95%, cos you know the money won't be taken out of the part that the politicians take. This is the trade off that is not considered.

Some will say that ASUU's public demands are not entirely selfish. Of course, but that's a publicity stunt. I started at UNN in 1999 and I remember ASUU had an 8 months, at least, strike. The demands preceeding the strikes included the usual: wages and increased education budget. Yet, as soon as the former was met, the latter was forgotten. To the extent that the education budget has increased over the years, almost all of the increase is swallowed up in personnel costs.

There is a huge problem with corruption in this country. But if the unions are serious about tackling that, instead of lining up their pockets whilst pointing accusing fingers at others, nothing stops them and Nigerians in general from engaging in strikes and civil disobedience specifically to request resignations from corrupt public officials and the investigation and prosecution of the corrupt. Why won't NUPENG and PENGASSAN go on strike to highlight the reprehensible activities of the Petroleum Minister and force her removal?

Lets face it, like that current popular British expatriate's articles notes, all each Nigerian wants to do is line up his/her pockets as much as they can. This is what this ASUU strike is about and when their demands are met, it will be at the expense of most Nigerians who will never attend university because the country has not invested in them.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by yungcyrus(m): 3:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
*arranges d pillow n continues sleepin*...........................abeg peeps till dis shit is over......DONT WAKE ME UP........mtsheeew.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by nnasino(m): 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
ASUU I support u abeg. even if I don't reap d benefits, the unborn ones will eventually reap it. education in Nigeria is just one big joke
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2013
striker9: You have a point,I'm not supporting fg but I think ASUU should use another method to achieve their aim.Most of the people supporting ASUU here are graduates,why must the earned allowances be the only problem with ASUU.

When u say other methods,can u be more specific. What methods do u have in mind that u think will work. Remember that before this strike, both ASUU and govt have been talking.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by bolakale30(m): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
emma4eva: Anybody looking for a part time or full time job opportunity to pass the time should halla me
bros, abeg i dey find job sef o..... abeg
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by emmasege: 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2013
It seems the FG made a rash agreement with ASUU in 2009 in order to get them back to classrooms at all cost, not minding if the agreement was realistic. Truth be said, Nigeria's public (i mean federal) universities are better funded now than in the 90s. If u ever attended a federal uni like UI or Ife in the 90s (pre-1999), a visit to the school will confirm that federal unis are gradually picking up again since the advent of this democracy. The UI I attended was worse than the current UI in terms of infrastructural devts, those facilities have been upgraded and new ones added. While i blame the FG for making a rash agreement with ASUU, ASUU on their own part should also appreciate Govt's efforts and commitments thus far and go back to the classrooms in the overall interest of Nigerian educational system that they are trying to protect.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Odoetonu(m): 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
Am seeing tinz... U guys hv said it all,,,. Lets jst fold our arms nd watch d drama dat unfolds after dis Threat.. Peace
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by gbengadada2004(m): 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 26, 2013
govt should stop their salaries. greedy and corrupt ASUU.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Dbeliever(m): 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2013
If industrial action was not the right of aggrieved citizens, the federal government would have ordered for the arrest of Nasir Faggie.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Idrismusty97(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2013
ASUU is not at fault,they should strike to the last!,Imagine our senators are the best paid in the world.even the prime minister of england does not earn half as much as one of nigeria senators.I can recall venezuela protestin against the government for using half a million dollars to build road.They should come to nigeria where a road is build for 4billion dollars and we are even happy(as long as we have a road)

They are over 77,000 nigerians studying in Ghana alone.we have forgeting that ghana was once like us but they decide to shut down all tertiary institution for 2years! to tackel her educational problems.now ghana is the side attraction for nigeria students.For every great gifts they is great difficulty and this is a price we must pay for a better education with a world class standard.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Omadachi(m): 10:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
FG should settle ASSU jor.If it were to be political allowance,it would have been settle long ago.But at the same time same ASSU should also curtail lecturers that collect bribe from student to pass them.We have lots of corrupt lecturers in our universities.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Idrismusty97(m): 10:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
Glorified_Tunde: .Their children skool in private institutions and abroad and come back as better products to be your bosses.
Very correct.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by brosun(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2013
unmask: Good one from ASUU.....and for those of you clamouring to end the strike, just so you can resume the shit work you are being taught I believe you should have a rethink......any sane person in any public university knows what goes on in most of these universities.....and if the fear is in the corrupt practices of the lecturers, let the government implement their demands, then give their own demands as regards corruption in universities......that way we kill 2 birds with no stone
VERY GOOD ONE. THIS!
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by brosun(m): 7:21am On Aug 27, 2013
Abbycite: Wait o.....Are they being paid for the period of strike? That would be irresponsible from the part of the government. How can a sector go on a meaningless/meaningful strike and you continue paying them for the work they refuse to do.
It has come a stage where I will advise the striking lecturers to honourably resign if they felt their working condition is not topnotch. Give space for the young and vibrant Nigerians that want to sweat and build this country not people that keep waiting for the government to provide everything for them.

BOTTOMLINE: It is now clear that ASUU is a bunch of hypocrites....so far, the little they have provided for them, what have they done with it? Are they not the same set of people that are molesting their female students, or those it required N500 billion to stop that. Those it require N87 billion to start coming to lecture hall regularly. What are they saying?
YOu are clearly not in touch with the issues on the ground. You need proper education. I won't be surprised if you are a product of the bad educational system ASUU is complaining about. Just read your English all over!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Aryourkunlay(m): 5:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
Smh!!! "//=//==='' ' '' ' ' '' '

Get me a Bazooka, lemme shoot the FG

"//=//==='' ' '' ' ' '' '

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kpmg Aptitude Test 2017 / Nigeria Has Highest Number Of African Students In The U.S -- Open Door Report / Please How Do I Improve My Grades(cgpa)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.