Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government (1629 Views)

'Tinubu Has Been Politically Circumcised', Bode George Says / Nupeng, NUT And Some Labour Unions Have Been Politically Compromised- Opinion / ASUU Has Boxed Itself Into A Corner By Abimbola Jones And Adamu Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by ShehuAba(m): 7:04am On Aug 27, 2013
The Nigerian Government has decided to break off negotiation with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over what it called the infiltration of the union by the opposition to discredit the government.
SaharaReporters gathered that as the committee set up by the Nigerian government to negotiatewith the union gave a verdict of non-compromise on the part of the union and 'security report' of the infiltration of the opposition, it decided to break the negotiation.
It was revealed that the committee had reported to the government that the union had remained 'rigid and unbending' to suggestions on how to agree on some of the issues it was agitating for so as to end the strike which had entered its ninthweek.
The committee had told the government that the union leaders were arrogant and selfish as their interest was paramount to that of their students who had been at home all this while.
The government after the report told the committee members that it had fresh security report that the union's stance on the lingering crisis in the education sector was as a result of the opposition's infiltration into the union.
It said the opposition wants to portray the government as irrational and uncaring to the plight of the lecturers and their students as well as present the government in bad light to Nigerians and the international community.
The government in breaking the negotiation has decided to fund individual student's education as it is done in advanced countries.
As a way of making nonsense of the industrial action by ASUU, SaharaReporters gathered that the government plans to introduce loans to the students throughout their period in the university so as to cushion the effect of the financial hardship on the students.
The government expects the students to re-pay the loans after graduation provided they get jobsof their choice. It however could not be ascertained how the loan to the students would compel the lecturers to call off the strike.
The National President of ASUU, Dr. Nasir Fagee, had last week during a press conference at the University of Lagos, Nigeria said the union had pulled out of the negotiation between the union and the Nigerian government citing insincerity as reason for its decision, adding that the union would not call off its strike until the agreement the government signed with the union in 2009 is honoured.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerian-government-break-negotiations-striking-university-professors-claims-ASUU-has-been
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by sammyzacks(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2013
I also suspect APC using ASUU as a puppet.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 27, 2013
I said it. Tinubu and Buhari have infiltrated ASUU. Only a compromised union would remain rigid despite the govt making concessions of N130billion. In the history of ASUU strike, no govt had ever made this sort of committment towards solving whatever the grievances of ASUU are.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by ShehuAba(m): 7:23am On Aug 27, 2013
Instead of speculating and making the whole matter worse.
I think the federal goverment should try as much as possible to meet ASUU'S demands.
Now everything is just too complicated.
ASUU has decided to leave the negotiation commitee.
The commitee also decided to stop negotiation.
F.G says it's all politics of the opposition.
Now Students will have to wait, wait, and wait.
God help Nigeria
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Hohaiiiode(m): 7:23am On Aug 27, 2013
[quote author=sammyzacks]I also suspect APC using ASUU as a puppet.[for christ sake what are u saying? ]
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Provie(m): 7:25am On Aug 27, 2013
Sounds true. Negotiation hz alwz bn a give-&-take thing. Bt here is one Fagge & his cohorts insisting on 100% compliance afta about 3months of strike. He tinks other ASUU presidents b4 him ar stupid 2 acept dat Nigeria is not yet a perfect society.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by ShehuAba(m): 7:29am On Aug 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I said it. Tinubu and Buhari have infiltrated ASUU. Only a compromised union would remain rigid despite the govt making concessions of N130billion. In the history of ASUU strike, no govt had ever made this sort of committment towards solving whatever the grievances of ASUU are.

Sir, be sincere at least for once. U mean u actually believe the FG hook, line, and sinker.
To me, the F.G has failed in its responsibility and should totally be blamed for this.
BTW if ASUU didn't go on strike, will the F.G even be willing to do anything.
Did u hear of any F.G commitee b4 the strike?
Seriously, the F. G Has failed woefully on this, now trying to blame the opposition.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by mankevo(m): 7:38am On Aug 27, 2013
If the opposition has become that powerful to have infiltrated all facet of the nation: Media, ASUU, Police, Court, Oil subsidy,Rivers State, Propaganda, ....(just everything government fails in)

Then I will advise the ruling Party to resign and leave the affairs of the nation to people(opposition) that understands it.

No government anywhere and anytime in the world has left addressing its failings and according opposition powerful status than this our current government.

Soon opposition will be responsible for the mass exodus of citizens to even poorer nations!!!

12 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by omenka(m): 7:39am On Aug 27, 2013
"The committee had told the government that the
union leaders were arrogant and selfish as their
interest was paramount to that of their students
who had been at home all this while."

Funniest thing I've ever heard!!
All these tricks to turn the people against ASUU will be counter productive.

The government had an agreement, they must honour it. End of story.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by homesteady(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2013
omenka: "The committee had told the government that the
union leaders were arrogant and selfish as their
interest was paramount to that of their students
who had been at home all this while."

Funniest thing I've ever heard!!
All these tricks to turn the people against ASUU will be counter productive.

The government had an agreement, they must honour it. End of story.

Many students are already against ASUU!
They are all doing this crap for their personal pocket!! They claim they are also doing it for infrastructure - it is a big lie!! I don't know for other schools, but come to UNIBEN, there are very beautiful structures, and more are still under construction! It is now even called UNIBEST!
The lecturers are just jealous of senators!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Korrection(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2013
homesteady:

They are all doing this crap for their personal pocket!! They claim they are also doing it for infrastructure - it is a big lie!! I don't know for other schools, but come to UNIBEN, there are very beautiful structures, and more are still under construction! It is now even called UNIBEST!
are you a uniben student?.....
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by omenka(m): 8:05am On Aug 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I said it. Tinubu and Buhari have infiltrated ASUU. Only a compromised union would remain rigid despite the govt making concessions of N130billion. In the history of ASUU strike, no govt had ever made this sort of committment towards solving whatever the grievances of ASUU are.

Those of us opurtuned to be privy to the goings on in this whole umbriglio know better. Only yestday, a friend of mine who happens to be a chapter member of ASUU executive committee told me how the Benue state govnor led Fed govt negotiation team is a team constituted solely for the purpose of bribing ASUU members to call off the strike. Only this time, ASUU is unwilling to play ball, so the govt decided to use blackmail after threats of No Work No Pay failed to make them budge.

The Nigerian government is the most insincere body on this planet! You simply can't have an agreement and expect them to hold up their own end of the bargain.

And for them to attribute the duggedness of ASUU to the opposition is just absolutely laughable, I mean, come on.....

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 27, 2013
If one really wants to do something, he'll find a way. But if he does not want, he-ll surely find an excuse.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Licensed2Kill(m): 8:19am On Aug 27, 2013
F_uck ASUU. . .students loan would be awesome!
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by naijaswag1: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2013
Reduce the budget of the presidency and parliament and augment ASUU's demand of 500B. Pay their allowances and dignify the job of a lecturer. Stop feigning excuses.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Kingspin(m): 8:22am On Aug 27, 2013
ASUU should start off with FG 30billion as government say the money will be by phrases and go back to class. TUC & NLC tried and strike a balance with government..why must ASUU resist to insist on 100% than what is dialogue. Before nobdy listen to u now somebody want to commit something than why being rigid or na childs play..
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by jaso1(m): 8:46am On Aug 27, 2013
Kingspin: ASUU should start off with FG 30billion as government say the money will be by phrases and go back to class. TUC & NLC tried and strike a balance with government..why must ASUU resist to insist on 100% than what is dialogue. Before nobdy listen to u now somebody want to commit something than why being rigid or na childs play..

NLC betrayed us all. What is the essence of the strike at the end? The subsidy was never exist and yet some rogues are using it as cover up to empty Nigeria pulse, reason with your brain not foot.
Everything has always been attached to opposition. If Jonathan has a running stomach it is opposition that's behind it. When are we going to reason normally? Nigeria government is most foolish in the world also the citizens. People heard School loan and they have begun to attached seriousness into it how many of you have benefited from SUREP program? They want to give you school loan when there is no job to pay back the loan after school. The basic thing you needed have they been attended to? You must be a fool if you agree with this amateur concoction by PDP.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by DeCleff(m): 8:48am On Aug 27, 2013
I've been expecting FG to come up with this claim but let us be sincere with ourselves, ASUU has nothing to do with the political situation in Nigeria.

ASUU and the FG entered an agreement since 2009 but the FG refused to honour the agreement simply because all the FG officials have sent their children abroad for studies; so they don't care about our public schools.

I bet it that the FG will not release more funds if ASUU dares call off the ongoing strike just because they were given N130bn.

Nigeria is in COMA because our Schools and Hospitals have not been given the desired attentions
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Kingspin(m): 8:56am On Aug 27, 2013
naija_swag: Reduce the budget of the presidency and parliament and augment ASUU's demand of 500B. Pay their allowances and dignify the job of a lecturer. Stop feigning excuses.
Who will do it..do you think giving ASUU the money will not change us or make our universities the best institution..just take a look inside our high schools..the current system there is laughable from the Govs, VC, lecturers, student, non academies staff to securities etc are in a mess. Many countries with good education system has a conducive political & stable environment. ASUU alone will not change Nigeria..So execpt leadership & corruption is fight by Nigerians everything will continue..Even for me the best way for me is to totally make our primary & secondary school level the best and our universities will have little for fault..if u pass through one of our high schools you can tell the problem..we can not turn around thing once. Up ASUU and pls try strike a balance with FG.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 27, 2013
I see.

So the "perfect solution" was to pull out completely from the talks and leave the lecturers to continue the strike?
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by YesBosss(m): 9:02am On Aug 27, 2013
mankevo: If the opposition has become that powerful to have infiltrated all facet of the nation: Media, ASUU, Police, Court, Oil subsidy,Rivers State, Propaganda, ....(just everything government fails in)

Then I will advise the ruling Party to resign and leave the affairs of the nation to people(opposition) that understands it.

No government anywhere and anytime in the world has left addressing its failings and according opposition powerful status than this our current government.

Soon opposition will be responsible for the mass exodus of citizens to even poorer nations!!!

grin grin God bless you. Its funny all the shortcomings and failures of the FG is blamed on Tinubu and Buhari, even the crisis within the PDP. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 27, 2013
GEJ and his media cohorts will probably blame "the opposition" for failing to fix Lagos-Ibadan expressway or the Second Niger Bridge.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Kingspin(m): 9:10am On Aug 27, 2013
jas_o:

NLC betrayed us all. What is the essence of the strike at the end? The subsidy was never exist and yet some rogues are using it as cover up to empty Nigeria pulse, reason with your brain not foot.
Everything has always been attached to opposition. If Jonathan has a running stomach it is opposition that's behind it. When are we going to reason normally? Nigeria government is most foolish in the world also the citizens. People heard School loan and they have begun to attached seriousness into it how many of you have benefited from SUREP program? They want to give you school loan when there is no job to pay back the loan after school. The basic thing you needed have they been attended to? You must be a fool if you agree with this amateur concoction by PDP.
The subsidy never exit but oil marketers went ahead to demand for subsidy money and threat to go striking if nothing is done. You cant just insult yourself.Abi you think the oil is urz. If giving all the whole money now, it will take ASUU many years to fix it..ASUU is doing well but beyond that there is more.. Is not all about money..let move ahead to fight corruption & bad leaders from LG, states & Federal the result will pay more to us as a Nigeria..we should find way for solution and for ASUU if there is need to shift ground why not..Our universities too generate revenue how much each student pay as school fee whats happening is more than money ..any debtor can also allowed to pay in batch..the bottom-line is lets go bk to school.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by ShehuAba(m): 9:10am On Aug 27, 2013
As things are now, am afraid we the students will suffer for F.G's inadequacies
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by dridowu: 9:56am On Aug 27, 2013
According to FG everything is always politically motivated. That means all union in Nigeria have pitch their tent with APC.
******smdh 4 FG******
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 27, 2013
ASUU says implement completely the agreement we had since 2009. that's all.

they have been making that demand continuously and consistently for years now proof of which has been the numerous warning strikes they have been embarking upon.

i don't see how stamping their feet down now for the agreement to be implemented is politically motivated. sooner or later it did have to come to this.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 27, 2013
mankevo: If the opposition has become that powerful to have infiltrated all facet of the nation: Media, ASUU, Police, Court, Oil subsidy,Rivers State, Propaganda, ....(just everything government fails in)

The ruling party at the centre is very busy with GOVERNANCE. It has little or no time for lobbying people and bribing media houses. Its a matter of approach and morality, and the END will justify the means. But its very unfortunate that rather use public funds for governance, the APC is more interested in bribing the media houses and labour unions, and frustrating the FG.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by gerald09(m): 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
And the youths keep on suffering and they allow it. Well Nigerian youths are use to being treated like dogs. Very soon some1 here will ask me what I want the youths to do. Well there is a saying "dem no dey tell blind man say *rain* dey full". "Pikin wey no sleep no dey allow em mama to sleep". Youth u guys need to present ur voice to either the government or ASUU, or una go old for uni. "A word is enough for the wise". Not really a big fan of d FG but it is obvious n it make sense dat d opposition wuld play dis card imagine if APC was dere during d fuel strike. SMH.. Bloody...
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by gerald09(m): 12:09pm On Aug 27, 2013
ShehuAba: As things are now, am afraid we the students will suffer for F.G's inadequacies
Dude u just figured dat out, dat ship sailed during d 2nd week dis is d 9th week una dey wait when its d 3rd year den una go start complain yes! Well good luck.
Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by alcuin(m): 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
homesteady:

Thank you.... Greatest UNIBEN!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by princenonny(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
ASUU chairman is a northerner. What else do u expect when his region has been doing everytin possible to undermine dis govt. Now GEJ has BH on their balls they hv nw resorted to strike. This govt is a divine govt and it wud overcome every challenge by the opposition.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
guy you are loosing it gradually these days, did Apc force the FG to sign the agreement in 2009?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Archbishop Okogie To Jonathan - "Do Not Run For Presidency In 2015" / Arewa People Congress APC leader Ahmed Magaji(aka Tinubu) was at Uni Of Toronto / 25% Derivative Is Not Too Much Considering The Eco Effects Of Drilling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.