Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,399 members, 7,822,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria (1575 Views)

What Sort Of Business Can I Run With 400k? / Why I Quit My High Flying Finance Job In London And Moved Back To Nigeria / I Want To Start An Ibo Restaurant In London And I Need Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 9:55am On Aug 27, 2013
Morning

I have recently found out about Nairaland while I was doing my research on how to start up a business in Nigeria.

I have been running my business in London since 2010 and its going very well I sell
Brand new basic and designer watches
Perfumes
Children school items such as shoes lunch boxes bags etc
and I also sell refurbished Mobile phones.

I am in the process of moving our business to Nigeria and was wondering what I would need to move my business to Nigeria?
What kind of things would I need to look out for?
I have already created a website and I am in negotiation with radio presenter regarding advertising. I just want to make sure I have not missed anything out so I thought I would ask Naira landers for their hints tips and views on business in Nigeria as I am sure it is completely different to business in London.

1 Like

Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by cityhood: 10:53am On Aug 27, 2013
atr ypu can you expand your biz?
supplying of onions in large quantity is very profitable imean very profitable
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by Sunglow: 3:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hi,are u planing on coming down here to establish it?What type of website do u have?Back home here there's a lot of hype for online shopping.Like jumia.com.,dealdey.com,konga.com etc.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by idlaw2k3(m): 4:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
Time registered: August 07, 2013
Time spent online: 1 hour

Shine you eyes
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by xugo: 4:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hello what do intend to venture into or still the same line of business you were doing before?
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 4:39pm On Aug 27, 2013
I was thinking of initially coming down to set up the business then after hire someone who will be supervised by my sisterto run the business. I would come to nigeria every 3 months or so to check on things as I will need to be in London also for the business here
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by xugo: 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
What kind of business do you intend to venture into over here? Or still the previous type.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2013
I am quite open to new options as I understand that the nigerian market is different to the demands and needs in the UK. But the start off I would have the same stock I sell in the UK
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by xugo: 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
with my understand, i have been in business for long more than 15 yrs so i can beat my chest and tell what works and what to expect. If you want to establish a business over here consider going into joint venture since you will not be around, because if you open a business and hand it over to someone it will not be flowing well as if its you, runing the business.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
thanks for the tips its just that not alot of people can be trusted so I am limited to who I can do long term business with.

do you have any ideas? Also how is the online market in nigeria I know that nigerians have trust issues due to fraud does this affect people buying on line?
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by sascoj: 7:43am On Aug 28, 2013
Firstly, I think you should do a little survey on the Nigerian market. Because some of the products you mentioned are seasonal. I don't know about you, but I like selling FMCG. Find out what people would buy readily. After this, location is another issue. Your shop should be one that's easy to locate.
About the online service, people might want you to deliver the goods since there are trust issues when it comes to pay before service. You might to employ someone to do strictly delivery depending on the quantity though. If you have any questions, please ask.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
I didnt realise that it would be this complex penertrating the Nigerian market : (

Please what does FMCG stand for?

Do you think it's worth conducting a survey on nairaland and would the information I receive be accurate?

What are the ways to gain trust besides payment on delivery? If the customer has to pay once the item is delivered then that kinda voids the whole e-commerce shopping title.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by sascoj: 8:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
It is not difficult at all, if you have the right products and mode of advertising.
FMCG means Fast Moving Consumer Goods
Carrying out a survey on nairaland isn't meant to give you accurate results, but an idea of what to bring in. And as for the delivery, trust isn't built in one night but overtime. It's a only suggestion that you should start with delivery and the customers pay for delivery.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by lanreecom(m): 2:20am On Aug 29, 2013
@Ladyaa, Hello, i've been reading the thread on your matter from the beggining. i think everyone has spoken well as much as they know but i have much more to talk about.

I am a marketing professional, i've been in the bizness of selling phones and laptops far back as 2002 - 2003. I started with a cousin of mine who lives in London, he buy the product from london and ship them to me and i handle the marketing. This is how we operate, we agree on a price that makes me able to sell and make profit. E.G if the market price of the phone is N25,000, he can give it to me for N21,000 - N22,000. Every week i remit the sales proceed into his domiciliary Account according to our agreement on price.

However, periodically we had to review the prices we agreed on as the prices of the product drops in the market. we operated till 2007 before he moved from london and decided to change bizness and then he introduced another person to me who lives in USA. I'M presently running the business with the US guy but this guy does not seem to understand how to source for product over there (USA) at competitive price and at the right specification, and this is making the business somehow uninteresting for me. HE BUYS AND SHIP WHAT HE SEE AS CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE TO HIM AND NOT WHAT IS IN HIGH DEMAND HERE IN NIGERIA - HE IS TOO MUCH PROFIT CONSCIOUS.

PLEASE, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY IN THIS BIZNESS AND REMAIN IN THERE FOR A LONG TIME, DONT BE GREEDY OF GAIN. THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHER THINGS I'LL LIKE YOU TO KNOW ABOUT WHICH WILL HELP YOU IN THE COURSE OF THE BIZNESS. IF YOU DON'T MIND YOU CAN CALL CONTACT ME ON: 08036988797 OR Email: oliveland.t@gmail.com
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by muhdT: 6:28am On Aug 29, 2013
As already stated by one of the OP here that fast moving consumable products are in hot demand at all the time, i would have advice you to give products like semovita, spaggethi, macaroni and other household products a trial. First of all make your plan survey, market survey, customers location demand survey. E.g Populace around Ikoyi/V.I axis don't have or have less competitive super stores or shops where they buy all these products, most have to come down to iddo market before they can get it like wise those living around Ajah axis cos they can't buy most of these products on large scale at shoprite or park'n'shop. So with this you can still look more into other locations.
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by muhdT: 6:46am On Aug 29, 2013
As for someone to trust, trust isn't build in a night but overtime. They're thousand of Nigerians to trust even though it may seems rare. Also, never too expecting much or more of profit from the person managing your business cos he/she cannot perform miracle to deliver over night. For the Golden Penny products as earlier posted, the company has centralise customers database which each individual customers statement of transaction is send to them at the end of the month. On the statement, you will see the money you deposited, the goods you buy, the incentives/rebate paid to you by the company and others you will also be attach to a sales officer that will monitor your transactions to the company, with this you can use it to track your business even though you still need to put in more strategy. If you're interested in any of Golden Penny products, follow through this link www.nairaland.com/1384430/golden-penny-distributorship-enquries-customers#17699041
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by ladyaa: 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2013
Thanks guys

I will take all of your views on board smiley
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by freaklyme(m): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2013
I will be more than grateful if we can become business partner right away.
Hedges is my name.I T Expert,professional Photographer,Business Enthusiast. Having had 5 years of Experience in this field of Businesses,I v been able to start up to some level.Capital has always been on a low side which has not help in the total turnaround.I am looking for someone who is willing to invest into the Business with turnover of 80 to 100k monthly.Let's meet and both plan this out.08088348107,vanesabill@gmail.com
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by OLASANJO: 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
My dear bro. any business that you wish to do, prayer is the number 1 thing , then any business that you cannot handle by yourself don't do it please ,am also a business man in a little way of mine .Notepaper thing daily business is advisable i.e what people can not do without a day and don't allow your price to be high ? is that clear .thanks 08068893883 olajohnmajek@gmail.com .
Re: I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria by flavourwole: 5:29pm On Sep 18, 2013
let give ur products standard visual TV adverts,pple want to c wht you want to offer them.we can create gud concepts for u and gv it to TV stations.call 08029714968 whn u r ready.thanks

(1) (Reply)

Pls Share D Steps U Took In Registering Ur Business NAME. / Elephant Cement Simply The Best...buy At Affordable Price / How Profitable Is Lingerie Business [pants,bras,boxers Etc]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.