Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans (40036 Views)

How To Obtain Student Loans In Nigeria Through Skye Bank / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
This strike is going to bin long. So better engage in computer lessons,driving schl or fashion schl.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by dokson(m): 3:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
UNCARING government
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Truman155(m): 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
'The youth are leaders of tommorow. To this, they should make themselves avaliable for leadership at all levels in nigeria, so that their fatherland can benefit from the vibrancy of this endowment' guess who said that............ Goodluck jonathan. I wish i wasnt a nigerian!
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by dedons: 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2013
K
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by pillzthadrugz(m): 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nigerian govt will always find a way out.........
This is another approach.......since plan 'A' did not work maybe plan 'B' might see the light of the day.
But come to think of it, the students are not complaining of any hardship, infact we have all gotten used to it.....
You guys should finish with our oga @ da top (ASUU) first before introducing another propaganda into the nigerian institution.
WE DON TURN TEDDY BEAR NA.....
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by sexyjessy(f): 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2013
hmmm undecided..i jes dey observe
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by deor03(m): 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
what i want the Federal government to do in logical order is this

1. Task NUC to carry out detailed study of the present universities, with a view to determining their worth in Naira and Kobo

2. Privatize all the universities and mandate all the private buyers to have affilition , including staff & student rotation , with Top 50 universities in the world.The buyers should immediatetly upgrade the universities to world standard in terms of facilities,labs , building etc

3. Grant student loans to all the students, upon admission into the institutions, and continues to maintain this award based on student's satisfactory performance ( measured based on Attendance, behaviuor and grade)

4. Consession reputble property companies to build world class accomodation with 24/7 power supply / high speed internet ( blocking all video sharing, Ph0nography , etc). Accomodation will be included in the loan

With government awarding 1Million Naira per student for each academic year, these can be taken care off. For 4 year courses, it will cost the government 4M , for Engineering 5M and Medicine 7M

Once students proceed on NYSC, the capital to be repaid should drop by N500,000.

Student should pay back the loan to the government over 20 years at an interest rate of 3% Max

4 Likes

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by mankand(m): 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
When i speak the truth that this government is headless, some goons will come out bashing. Why introduce student loans on what grounds?

Have these idiots visited the Nigerian universities of late and see the decadance? they are introducing loans which is another form of scam which is going to be benefitted only by them and their family alone, as we are going to be seeing soon that they will require collateral in order to obtain this kind of loan.

I have completely given up on Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Burger01(m): 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
Now, this is getting more interesting.

Next to Season 2 Episode 1

Students, Una want loans? Abeg no jeopardize your future over a tin of milk.

grin

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by watered(m): 3:49pm On Aug 27, 2013
Whatever they choose to do is left to them. As for me d FG has done its best and d stubborn ASUU shouldn't expect a miraculous transformation of the education system.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Mexyz(m): 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2013
As much as i dnt agree wit fg abt nt implementn the agreement they had wit ASUU,i think ASUU has really been infiltratd by the opposition. Mr Nasir Fagge nd fg re playn politics wit our future.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by chinaze4real(m): 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
If u can borrow 50million good deal take the money nah usa I go port go porting tin grin
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by deor03(m): 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
chinaze4real: If u can borrow 50million good deal take the money nah usa I go port go porting tin grin

They are not gonna give cash o
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by kevoh(m): 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
If I'm not mistaken I believe student loans used to exist way back in Nigeria when things were still good. Anyway bring back the loans, add scholarship or special grant (20 000 Naira) to every student that scores above 220 in Jamb.

This should give hope to the poor that with or without money they can send their kids to school.

A good identification process like the social security number used by Americans should be put in place first to track defaulters and the loan deducted instalmentally as soon as they graduate and are registered as employees if not the student loan scheme will be a 'dead on arrival' project as people will

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by atlwireles: 3:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
Glorified_Tunde: Kai! I feel so enraged. Well its not FG's fault, they take the masses for fools and know we'll take every sh*t they throw @ us even propaganda.

FG is now looking for CHEAP support from the masses and trying to paint ASUU black using old skool tactics (infiltration by opposition). That was how they claimed fuel subsidy removal protest had been hijacked by opposition.

They really don't know ASUU is filled with intelligent folks.

Provide LOANS? A ma se nkan o! This GEJ administration is the WORST of all. Its a synergy of Clueless + Corruption!

I suggest everyone comes out boldly to support ASUU, its now FG vs. Nigerians in every matter.

FG is filled with Terrible, Careless, Greedy and Useless Thieves! angry

The end product of these intelligent folks are 85% unemployable graduates.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by antifat(m): 3:59pm On Aug 27, 2013
Lilpeco007: FG don dey mad abi??

Yes
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by atlwireles: 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
http://www.punchng.com/education/nigerian-professors-among-best-paid-in-the-world/

A new research has rated full professors in Nigeria’s public universities as one of the best paid academics in top 28 nations of the world.

Never mind the ivy league; professors in the maple-draped ivory towers of Canada are on average the best-paid in the world, new research shows.

This means the University of Toronto with the loftiest campus pay-cheques in the country, could have the highest paid teachers of all — save for the most famous private Ivy-schools such as Harvard and Princeton.

In a new study of public university salaries in 28 countries — from the knowledge hubs of Asia to the powerhouses of Great Britain and the United States of America. — it is Canadian professors who outstrip all others in their pay’s purchasing power.

Other countries in which salaries of professors are compared include Italy, which came second; South Africa, (third); India, (fourth); US, (fifth); Saudi Arabia, (sixth); Australia, (seventh); Netherlands, (eighth); Germany, (ninth); and Netherlands.

A Nigerian full professor, which according to the report, earns an equivalent of $4, 629 per month in public institutions, is rated the 13th best paid don among the 28 nations.

While some blame soaring salaries for driving up the cost of higher learning — Ontario economic guru Don Drummond has called for smaller post-secondary raises — others argue they give us an edge in courting the best and brightest.

“In an increasingly international labour market, it’s good to offer strong compensation,” noted education professor Glen Jones of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at U of T and who is part of the Canadian team of researchers on the study.

The research, released Thursday, was led by the Boston College Center for International Higher Education and the National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moscow.

The study adjusted the dollar-value of full-time salaries to the cost of living in each country to allow a true comparison of the value of the pay. In adjusted dollars, Canada’s average full-time professor earns $7,196 per month, compared to $6,054 in the US and $5,943 in the UK.

And while the study excluded private institutions, including ivy league names such as Harvard and Princeton, these are relatively small schools that likely would not have changed the US average by much, noted Jones.

“Canadian professors work hard, they’re productive and they’re one of the reasons our universities are relatively well ranked,” said Jones, “and unlike other jurisdictions, their full-time tenure stream is still strong.”

Some of the Nigerian professors who reacted to the report said that it did not reflect the general wages of a professor. They however admitted that with the new consolidated salaries in federal universities, the estimated earning might not be far from the truth as some of the most senior professors earn about N600,000 per month.

Asked whether a Nigerian professor earns the equivalent of $4, 629 per month, Prof. Ayodeji Olukoju, who is also the Vice-Chancellor, Caleb University, Imota, Lagos State, said, “I will say yes and no. Yes, because before I left the University of Lagos, a federal university over a year ago, a consolidated salary was introduced where most of our allowances were monetised and imputed into our salaries. And then if you were a senior professor, your salary would be over N500,000. I don’t know what the situation is now but the report may not be far from it.”

But is the wage the same thing in private universities? Some of the vice-chancellors of the private universities including Olukoju said yes. They said some private universities, including the Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, were even paying a little more than the federal universities.

“If you don’t lure lecturers with good pay, they won’t come. That is why most of us (private universities) are paying even a little higher than the federal universities,” one of them who pleaded anonymity said.

A professor at the Faculty of Education, Lagos State University, Ojo, Ademola Onifade, who confirmed the report, however, explained that it was not all professors that earn as much. According to him, professors are in categories as seniority counts in deciding what a professor earns.

“The report is very close to it. But you should understand that a professor of one year experience will not earn the same thing with another one that has five or 10 years experience,” he said.

Asked whether there was disparity between the wage of professors in a federal university and that of a state university where he works, Onifade said no. “We earn the same wage. There is no difference,” he said.

But there’s a cost to those heady salaries. Canadian universities are increasingly turning to part-time, contract, lower-paid instructors who can be excellent, but who often say they are underpaid, overworked and unconnected to campus life.

And there are too many of these part-timers these days to ignore in any study of salary, warned Constance Adamson, president of the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations.

“This study focussed on full-time tenured faculty but as we know, almost half of teaching is being done by non-tenured, contract academics staff,” she said. Still, high salaries are not out of line for a profession so highly educated that “most of them don’t get to start their careers until their early 30s.”

What else drives up these Canadian pay cheques? Almost all Canadian campuses are unionized, said Jones, and far more of our professors are full-time, tenured staff than other countries such as the United States.

Canada’s university professors saw their salaries climb by 46 per cent between 2001 and 2009 — nearly three times the rate of inflation, which was 16 per cent, according to Statistics Canada.

“A lot of it has to do with the way that pay levels were set when new money came into the sector at the turn of the century (2000) and we were trying to compete with American institutions,” said education analyst Alex Usher of Higher Education Strategy Associates. “And then the dollar rose by 65 per cent. And an extraordinary number of our institutions are trying to compete with the top tier of American universities.”

Physics professor George Luste is president of the University of Toronto’s faculty association, and he admits there are some blue-ribbon names on the U of T payroll.

“But they’re not typical,” he said. “It’s like having Bill Gates walk into a poor village and immediately raise the average income. There may be some professors who are making $300,000 — but they also work in an area where houses can cost more than $1m.”

Though, some professors in Nigerian university system though commended the federal and state governments for increasing their wages, they called on to inject more funds into the provision of physical and academic facilities in the nation’s universities.

2 Likes

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
smh for fg and ASUU
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by searay(m): 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
I like Gov Fashola in matters like this. By now new lecturers would have been recruited.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by alexleo(m): 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
Just wondering how a government that cannot fund the maintainance of the universities and staff will fund student's loan. By the time they bring out conditions for the loan, only a very little percentage of students will be able to access it. Then after a few years the loan idea will be kicked out. Then the whole thing goes back to square one. Too bad for any student who rejoices over this.

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by mazizitonene(m): 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
Yahoo on my mind...since ds ppl no wan make I go skul....@least wen me and my boys go don collect lyk 25million graduate wifout job....dey chop d money small small
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by sam13(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
FG and ASUU wahala ABA market here i comecheesy
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by phayvoursky(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
student loan?

JONSING
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by shineeye1: 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Jonathan's government never fails to disappoint. To Jonathan and his clueless team, any man who articulates and demands his rights is arrogant and unyeilding. All they want of the oppressed is to slave on to the slaughter slab. Jonathan is soft on corruption if not a party to it. As a result, he is a misfit for the task of the hour. If corruption is checked in Nigeria, our basic needs can be met and goverment obligation to society fulfilled. Jonathan has abandoned the war against corruption with the EFCC now moribund. Let Jonathan give way for the try of another compatriot.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by theimmortals(m): 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
olalekan1: Sooner or later this will be the solution. I have said it before and will continue to say it. Student loan is the solution, it will allow for competition among universities. School can increase their school fees to the maximum but only interested student will apply. #mouthsealed for now
Well sound intresting to me.........we will now set screening for the universicties right? grin
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by sharubutu(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2013
Fadelex: irresponsible government will always blame d opposition
for all it's inadequacies. was it d opposition that signed d agreement back in 2009? no... were you hypnotized when you signed d agreement? no... then as an honourable government, do d right thing by signing d agreement u made... that simply shows your dubious character, you signed an agreement knowing you won't honour it.. Abeg stop trading blame and do d right thing

No, they think Nigerians are still as unlearned and uninformed as they were about a century ago.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by PuffyT1(m): 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
serzly i cant stop laughing overhere

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by AdeniyiA(m): 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
hahahahahahaha..... when did this our government turns Baba Suwe , students loans ko lecturer bonds ni.
which job are they prepared to provide after graduation in order to facilitate repayment, does the government even have a comprehensive citizens' database in order to monitor them?
our govt is just a big joke.
they better be watchful because revolution looms

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by sapien(m): 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
searay: I like Gov Fashola in matters like this. By now new lecturers would have been recruited.
Which kind mumu you be nah?
So, Fashola will recruit new lecturers in all the Universities in Nigeria?
I swear, your mumu na first class!

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by ayusco85(m): 4:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
deor03: what i want the Federal government to do in logical order is this

1. Task NUC to carry out detailed study of the present universities, with a view to determining their worth in Naira and Kobo

2. Privatize all the universities and mandate all the private buyers to have affilition , including staff & student rotation , with Top 50 universities in the world.The buyers should immediatetly upgrade the universities to world standard in terms of facilities,labs , building etc

3. Grant student loans to all the students, upon admission into the institutions, and continues to maintain this award based on student's satisfactory performance ( measured based on Attendance, behaviuor and grade)

I gbadun this ur idea sha. One shld be able to pay over 20 yrs.

4. Consession reputble property companies to build world class accomodation with 24/7 power supply / high speed internet ( blocking all video sharing, Ph0nography , etc). Accomodation will be included in the loan

With government awarding 1Million Naira per student for each academic year, these can be taken care off. For 4 year courses, it will cost the government 4M , for Engineering 5M and Medicine 7M

Once students proceed on NYSC, the capital to be repaid should drop by N500,000.

Student should pay back the loan to the government over 20 years at an interest rate of 3% Max
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Donmams(m): 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
I wonder what the FG is complaining about. They claim they can't give ASUU 500 billion when in just one month GEJ's agents in the creek stole 300billion naira. ASUU fire on jare. These crooks in gov't cannot blackmail you.

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Boss13: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
deor03: what i want the Federal government to do in logical order is this

For how long will this plan continue? Do you want the country to be so broke? How would corporate Nigeria absorb the graduates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records / Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) / UNIZIK Defers Award For Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.