Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,355 members, 7,812,006 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) (40036 Views)

SA Daycare Suddenly Has Tigers Living Next Door, Looking Over The Wall (PIX) / Real Live Tarzan Shares Pictures Of Grown Up Tigers He Raised As Cubs / MOMENTS IN THE WILD (PHOTOS) [GRAPHIC] contd. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 7:47pm On Feb 23
Two white Bengal tigers, kept as pets on a property in Impala Park (Johannesburg), were relocated to a NSPCA-accredited wildlife facility in the Free State province of South Africa on February 20.

The tigers made headlines in 2021 after staff at a crèche just behind the property spotted one of them.

At the time, Boksburg SPCA manager Vicky Finnemore said their hands were tied. They had done an inspection and found the tigers in good condition, although they questioned whether their enclosure was adequately secure.

Finnemore explained that owning a tiger as a pet is legal, and owners don’t need permits to keep these wild animals, but they must have permits for transportation.

“Transportation permits are to transport the animal, for instance, if they want to take it to the vet or anywhere for any reason,” Finnemore added.

MOVED TO SANCTUARY

According to the NSPCA’s Jacques Peacock, the Boksburg SPCA proactively and persistently worked with the owner, which led to the animals being taken into the care of the NSPCA.

In a media statement, Peacock said the tigers were “sentenced to a barren, urban enclosure; trapped in a concrete jungle in suburbia, without a speck of grass or a tree in sight. With no freedom to express normal behaviour, the tigers became objects of human gratification”.

“The NSPCA’s Wildlife Protection Unit, in collaboration with the Boksburg SPCA inspectorate and renowned big cat veterinarian Dr Peter Caldwell, attended to the Boksburg property to safely sedate and transport the tigers.

“The operation proceeded smoothly, and the tigers were relocated to a sanctuary providing a habitat conducive to their well-being,” he said.

“Their release was magnificent and heartbreaking – with the tigers taking excited leaps to freedom while interacting with grass for the first time.

“Their bounds were filled with curiosity for their new haven, where they can live the rest of their lives free from concrete and confinement.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmY7kwIrdM?feature=shared

The NSPCA extended its sincere congratulations and gratitude to the Boksburg SPCA for their proactive stance in initiating this crucial step towards ending the confinement of exotic wild species in South Africa.

CRÉCHE NEXT DOOR

According to the crèche owner at the time, who asked to remain anonymous, she noticed one of the tigers looking over the wall on September 23, 2021.

“I got the shock of my life. We have been running the early childhood development centre here for quite some time but were unaware that there are tigers in the neighbourhood. We feel the children’s lives are in danger because the property perimeter wall is not high enough to prevent the animals from jumping over,” she alleged.

“We can’t allow someone’s child to get injured on our watch,” she said, indicating that authorities should look into the matter and, if anything is to be rectified, oversee it.

The crèche owner believes the tigers could endanger the children and anyone in the vicinity.

“There are about four ECD centres and an old age home close to this property,” she said.

The Boksburg Advertiser is trying to get comments from the owners of the tigers and the crèche.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by immortalcrown(m): 7:49pm On Feb 23
Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by 1Alex: 9:36pm On Feb 23
They are well fed. After one month they will be like their peers in the wild.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by richiemcgold: 10:07pm On Feb 23
That's a great freedom!

... but I've read it severally before that there are no tigers in Africa.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by candelahria(f): 11:18pm On Feb 23
That is still true. This post says that the Tigers are native to Bengal in India but being kept in
Africa for some reason. There are no tigers native to Africa.
richiemcgold:
That's a great freedom!

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by poshestmina(f): 12:50am On Feb 24
I'm not even going to live on the street or estate with a Tiger,it's too risky

Wild animals are not pets ,people will never learn until something bad happens.

112 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by TANID(m): 2:55am On Feb 24
I love Tiger But Not As Pet

18 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by etrange: 3:29am On Feb 24
Viral tigers? What does that mean, please?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by MMempire(m): 3:48am On Feb 24
richiemcgold:
That's a great freedom!

That's a fact. No Tiger naturally exist in Africa. They are all brought down to Africa. They are predominantly Asian animals.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 4:14am On Feb 24
etrange:
Viral tigers? What does that mean, please?

The story went viral when the tigers were first seen looking over the fence at preschool kids.

7 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by etrange: 5:18am On Feb 24
MzansiCoolio:

The story went viral when the tigers were first seen looking over the fence at preschool kids.

Oh... OK. You meant the story/pics went viral. Your title made it look as if it was a type of tiger called viral tiger.

31 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Cassandraloius: 6:48am On Feb 24
The last time I checked they're called wild animals, they should be careful tho.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by MVLOX(m): 7:36am On Feb 24
Omo see tiger 🐅 see food.....

1 Like

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:21am On Feb 24
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by bigdammyj: 8:35am On Feb 24
Noted.
Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:35am On Feb 24
Na to relocate for me
Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by easyfem(m): 8:36am On Feb 24
U guys gat to stop playing so that Una no go learn in hard way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by illicit(m): 8:37am On Feb 24
Better
Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Sheuns(m): 8:38am On Feb 24
Ecosystem about to get some changes in that area.

1 Like

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by nairalee(m): 8:38am On Feb 24
if na naija now dem go wait till the tiger chop 3 and half children before them act

5 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Quest7777: 8:41am On Feb 24
Some people will still see these beautiful cats as stomach infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by PortHarcourtcit(m): 8:41am On Feb 24
Healthy looking 🐅 tiger... Well feed...

1 Like

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Exousiang01: 8:44am On Feb 24
candelahria:
That is still true. This post says that the Tigers are native to Bengal in India but being kept in
No sir.
What they meant actually was no Tigers left in the wild.
If we never had Tigers native to Africa every African tribe with not have a name for it in their vocabulary, we have a name for tigers in my place and I remember my great-grandfather would tell us many stories bout his hunting days with his age group and many of those who he told us of their exploits were still alive and could testify. He personally killed and elephant.
We had Tigers native to Africa, but no longer in the wild, what they call wild today are actually game reserves.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Crucialgem(m): 8:45am On Feb 24
Tigers are naturally friendly to human they are like bigger cat unlike lion
Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by oilyngbati(m): 8:46am On Feb 24
candelahria:
Tigers are also native to Siberia Russia and China’s far east. Although, the ones in China have become extinct due to excessive hunting/poaching for Chinese medicines, the ones in Russia are pretty much still in existence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by oilyngbati(m): 8:47am On Feb 24
Crucialgem:
Tigers are naturally friendly to human they are like bigger cat unlike lion
Good, I have one for you to be playing with then

4 Likes

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Olaolex: 8:48am On Feb 24
richiemcgold:
That's a great freedom!

yes, Africa has leopard

1 Like

Re: Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS) by Olaolex: 8:48am On Feb 24
oilyngbati:
Good, I have one for you to be playing with then
😂😂

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Only First Class & 2:1 Graduates Will Be Employed As Teachers - FG / UNIZIK Defers Award For Sanusi / Waec Registration For 2017/2018 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.