Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,871 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister (9933 Views)

Federal Government May Soon Ban Christian And Muslim Prayers At Pub Functions / FG Will Stabilise Price Of Rice By April-Ogbeh / FG Will Renegotiate Contracts Awarded Under Jonathan – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by rozayx5(m): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2013
ok waiting for Dangote Fish lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 28, 2013
weazley: nonsense, I thought frozen chicken was banned a couple of yrs bac? I just bought 2 kilos dis morning,
They now make those in Nigeria. Places like obasanjo farms, onigbinde farms, zartech etc.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by ednut1(m): 10:21am On Aug 28, 2013
drnoel:
its no more imported but processed in Nigeria, or so I heard.
its smuggled from cotonou duh
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Prettytimah(f): 10:24am On Aug 28, 2013
rozayx5: ok waiting for Dangote Fish lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
grin
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Sweetlemon(f): 10:25am On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Who cares? Fish is more expensive than frozen chicken. Thank God for my neighbor who gives me fresh fish at no cost every week. He's a sailor BTW. cool

You dey enjoy mehn!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Tolexander: 10:25am On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Who cares? Fish is more expensive than frozen chicken. Thank God for my neighbor who gives me fresh fish at no cost every week. He's a sailor BTW. cool
at no cost?
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by MAYOWAAK: 10:25am On Aug 28, 2013
While frozen fish are caught in the high seas in Asia, Europe and America, from where we import, our dominant domestic product is catfish, which is a little bit expensive for the poor. The varieties of imported frozen fish, which are the staple of poor Nigerians, are not produced locally, at least not yet in commercial quantity. These are herring (shawa), sardine, horse mackerel (kote), sardinella (agbodu), and whiting (panla or Okporoko). Our underdeveloped trawling industry is seriously encumbered with security and pollution issues. I am yet to see a roadmap to address these issues. Even though we may have potential in salt-water fish, only the catfish has become accustomed to breeding and farming in Nigeria. Others have not been successful. They are either too expensive to breed or do not adapt to our local conditions.
Since the rationale for import bans is import-substitution, what then is the sense in banning what you cannot produce locally? There are various implications. Nigerians cannot be forced to switch to catfish overnight.

Also, frozen fish will still find its way into our market through Benin Republic, only that it will become more expensive, logically. There could be some social disorder if the major source of healthy animal protein is cut off from millions of poor homes. What is the likely economic and nutritional impact on the masses? How long will this impact last? Can we actually eliminate some species of fish from our market and our diet? What alternatives can we develop and how long will it take to develop them? Has the government properly thought through this policy?

Get me right: I am not saying that we should continue to import frozen fish forever. Far, far from it! However, government must do proper impact assessment before rolling out a policy that could affect the lives of over 100 million Nigerians. A well-intentioned policy that is poorly conceived and poorly timed will have a devastating effect on the people. I don’t think any government would like that. Luckily, the drawing board is still there for our policymakers. They must do their home work properly.

8 Likes

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Sweetlemon(f): 10:25am On Aug 28, 2013
rozayx5: ok waiting for Dangote Fish lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lol!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Youngzedd(m): 10:26am On Aug 28, 2013
honey86:
They now make those in Nigeria. Places like obasanjo farms, onigbinde farms, zartech etc.

My farm is missing on that list grin grin

Youngzedd Farm.

Soon I will declare a day for free chicken for Nairalanders. Just announce my farm everywhere you go and I will do yit.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by maclatunji: 10:28am On Aug 28, 2013
MAYOWAAK: While frozen fish are caught in the high seas in Asia, Europe and America, from where we import, our dominant domestic product is catfish, which is a little bit expensive for the poor. The varieties of imported frozen fish, which are the staple of poor Nigerians, are not produced locally, at least not yet in commercial quantity. These are herring (shawa), sardine, horse mackerel (kote), sardinella (agbodu), and whiting (panla or Okporoko). Our underdeveloped trawling industry is seriously encumbered with security and pollution issues. I am yet to see a roadmap to address these issues. Even though we may have potential in salt-water fish, only the catfish has become accustomed to breeding and farming in Nigeria. Others have not been successful. They are either too expensive to breed or do not adapt to our local conditions.
Since the rationale for import bans is import-substitution, what then is the sense in banning what you cannot produce locally? There are various implications. Nigerians cannot be forced to switch to catfish overnight.

Also, frozen fish will still find its way into our market through Benin Republic, only that it will become more expensive, logically. There could be some social disorder if the major source of healthy animal protein is cut off from millions of poor homes. What is the likely economic and nutritional impact on the masses? How long will this impact last? Can we actually eliminate some species of fish from our market and our diet? What alternatives can we develop and how long will it take to develop them? Has the government properly thought through this policy?

Get me right: I am not saying that we should continue to import frozen fish forever. Far, far from it! However, government must do proper impact assessment before rolling out a policy that could affect the lives of over 100 million Nigerians. A well-intentioned policy that is poorly conceived and poorly timed will have a devastating effect on the people. I don’t think any government would like that. Luckily, the drawing board is still there for our policymakers. They must do their home work properly.

You are into maritime, shipping and fishing?
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nightshift(m): 10:29am On Aug 28, 2013
In the 80s Nigeria, tasteful fishes in our markets were from Oron and Maiduguri. For some years now Nigeria imports fish from Costa Rica, including my favorite tilapia. The imported ones tastes different from the local freshwater fish from the towns i mentioned above.

Putting a stop to such imports will boost local fishery industry again. Stockfish should be the only exemption from import prohibition.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by weazley(m): 10:31am On Aug 28, 2013
koolet: Fish wuld now become expensive I.e Competition wuld be there within fishermen diz days....
Haw wil it b xpensive wen there is competition, na wa u oh
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Babasquare: 10:33am On Aug 28, 2013
I can only help but laugh at this. Seems like the minister is taking the p***. This is just basic economics, demand and supply. Even with the continuous increase in fish farming/aquaculture, the local fish production just can't meet the nation's fish demand at the moment. Fish is a relative cheap source of animal protein. The population of the country is always on the increase and most of the citizens are resource poor. That's why the local demand for fish is very high. Lack of capital, over-exploitation, climate change, pollution are the major constraints in meeting the local fish demand. These are the problems that should be tackled aggressively and the churning out of
"feel-good statements" like this.

1 Like

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 28, 2013
I hate fresh water fish. I prefer my oku eko and stock fish.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by everyday: 10:42am On Aug 28, 2013
Thats a good development.It will support local industries
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by solomon111(m): 10:44am On Aug 28, 2013
Babasquare: I can only help but laugh at this. Seems like the minister is taking the p***. This is just basic economics, demand and supply. Even with the continuous increase in fish farming/aquaculture, the local fish production just can't meet the nation's fish demandat the moment. Fish is a relative cheap source of animal protein. The population of the country is always on the increase and most of the citizens are resource poor. That's why the local demand for fish is very high. Lack of capital, over-exploitation, climate change, pollution are the major constraints in meeting the local fish demand. These are the problems that should be tackled aggressively and the churning out of "feel-good statements" like this.
Did you read the report at all? The Minister said the FG have taken steps to increase local fish production and will not implement the ban until the programme yield results.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by MrPresident1: 10:45am On Aug 28, 2013
MAYOWAAK: While frozen fish are caught in the high seas in Asia, Europe and America, from where we import, our dominant domestic product is catfish, which is a little bit expensive for the poor. The varieties of imported frozen fish, which are the staple of poor Nigerians, are not produced locally, at least not yet in commercial quantity. These are herring (shawa), sardine, horse mackerel (kote), sardinella (agbodu), and whiting (panla or Okporoko). Our underdeveloped trawling industry is seriously encumbered with security and pollution issues. I am yet to see a roadmap to address these issues. Even though we may have potential in salt-water fish, only the catfish has become accustomed to breeding and farming in Nigeria. Others have not been successful. They are either too expensive to breed or do not adapt to our local conditions.

Good analysis. And for over a year now issuance of licences to import fish has been put on hold. Technically any frozen fish in the market is unlicensed and illegally imported.

1 Like

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by iterator25: 10:47am On Aug 28, 2013
Babalegba: Idiotic government, so now the poor will not be able to afford the only source of protein affordable to them.
go to your bedroom, sit down, relax and read your comment.. tell me if it makes sense. #thinks. ***if for say internet de like one kind physical realm, I for plank this guy ** angry
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by tayoccu(m): 11:09am On Aug 28, 2013

You have spoken well, God bless you!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by brownlord: 11:14am On Aug 28, 2013
because tht minister don follow go cut fish for alpha river e won ban importation abi.

Anyway na for newspapaer dem dey ban, thank God for cotonou, even the minister self go follow do bizness for tht rd. Na niger we dey
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Lunar2010: 11:14am On Aug 28, 2013
I hope say no be Cassava fish dem go soon tell us to chop...!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by shobabey: 11:24am On Aug 28, 2013
....as we now have these fish willingly importing themselves to the shores of most of our beaches... grin grin grin...
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by pappykay360: 11:25am On Aug 28, 2013
Chai, naija!! Nothing wey una no fit import,so all dis fish wey I dey chop na imported fish?? Kai.. Small time now una go start to dey import garri !! Warrant nonsense! a nation that can not feed herself, empowerment is what we need!!! Empower our fishermen,and stop fish importation
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by slimming: 11:27am On Aug 28, 2013
Fish! please rethink the health benefit
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by chriseruba: 11:33am On Aug 28, 2013
weazley: nonsense, I thought frozen chicken was banned a couple of yrs bac? I just bought 2 kilos dis morning,
wat they banned was the imported one not locally frozen chicken
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 28, 2013
I think this more like to tell Nigerians to be wise if they ban importation of fish don't panic! Just start with one big politfishians around u .. They ar big enough for us to eat jare cheesy
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by sensaraj(f): 11:36am On Aug 28, 2013

wetin concern Fish with frozen chicken grin grin
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by yanni1(m): 11:37am On Aug 28, 2013
water will wash them fish to the shore...if dem like make dem ban am..
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Dee60: 11:42am On Aug 28, 2013
We are waiting. With the lapses in our system and our porous borders I hope this will not just be a step to close the door to official and genuine importers and give smugglers a field day and also make consumers pay more for smuggled fish.

Has the FG not banned textile fabrics? Where is all the fabric coming through? have they not banned fruit juice? Even the big stores (names witheld) sell imported juice.

!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Okijajuju1(m): 11:44am On Aug 28, 2013
Dee60: We are waiting. With the lapses in our system and our porous borders I hope this will not just be a step to close the door to official and genuine importers and give smugglers a field day and also make consumers pay more for smuggled fish.

Has the FG not banned textile fabrics? Where is all the fabric coming through? have they not banned fruit juice? Even the big stores (names witheld) sell imported juice.

!

[b]Omo!

That Fruit Juice matter tire me.. But I'm happy that Foreign juice still enters this country, because all the locally made juices are piss, excluding none..

[b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osasu Igbinedion, Mike Adenuga, President Of Ethopia Receive Daar Awards 2019 / See The Underage Girl Nnamdi Kanu Impregnated PHOTOS / Imo PCC: Ihedioha Is Only Interested In Hijacking Campaign Funds - Mike Ikoku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.