Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,755 members, 7,955,872 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:34 PM

FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister (9988 Views)

Federal Government May Soon Ban Christian And Muslim Prayers At Pub Functions / FG Will Stabilise Price Of Rice By April-Ogbeh / FG Will Renegotiate Contracts Awarded Under Jonathan – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 28, 2013
MAYOWAAK: While frozen fish are caught in the high seas in Asia, Europe and America, from where we import, our dominant domestic product is catfish, which is a little bit expensive for the poor. The varieties of imported frozen fish, which are the staple of poor Nigerians, are not produced locally, at least not yet in commercial quantity. These are herring (shawa), sardine, horse mackerel (kote), sardinella (agbodu), and whiting (panla or Okporoko). Our underdeveloped trawling industry is seriously encumbered with security and pollution issues. I am yet to see a roadmap to address these issues. Even though we may have potential in salt-water fish, only the catfish has become accustomed to breeding and farming in Nigeria. Others have not been successful. They are either too expensive to breed or do not adapt to our local conditions.
Since the rationale for import bans is import-substitution, what then is the sense in banning what you cannot produce locally? There are various implications. Nigerians cannot be forced to switch to catfish overnight.

Also, frozen fish will still find its way into our market through Benin Republic, only that it will become more expensive, logically. There could be some social disorder if the major source of healthy animal protein is cut off from millions of poor homes. What is the likely economic and nutritional impact on the masses? How long will this impact last? Can we actually eliminate some species of fish from our market and our diet? What alternatives can we develop and how long will it take to develop them? Has the government properly thought through this policy?

Get me right: I am not saying that we should continue to import frozen fish forever. Far, far from it! However, government must do proper impact assessment before rolling out a policy that could affect the lives of over 100 million Nigerians. A well-intentioned policy that is poorly conceived and poorly timed will have a devastating effect on the people. I don’t think any government would like that. Luckily, the drawing board is still there for our policymakers. They must do their home work properly.
Arrant nonsense! Oh boy, when last did you buy fish in the market? As i speak to you, All kinds of fish that are in the market are phucking expensive. Please don't say what you don't know. na we wey dey go market go tell you wetin dey happen! angry
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Okijajuju1(m): 11:51am On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Arrant nonsense! Oh boy, when last did you buy fish in the market? As i speak to you, All kinds of fish that are in the market are phucking expensive. Please don't say what you don't know. na we wey dey go market go tell you wetin dey happen! angry

Berem...

When last did you cook for me?! angry
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 28, 2013
Tolexander: at no cost?
ehe? undecided
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

Berem...

When last did you cook for me?! angry
Okija, when last did you give me money to cook for you? abi make i go thief for market?
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by ceejay80s(m): 12:05pm On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Who cares? Fish is more expensive than frozen chicken. Thank God for my neighbor who gives me fresh fish at no cost every week. He's a sailor BTW. cool
u go live wit ur neighbour 4ever? ï
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by BigBen10: 12:10pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tolexander: Make dem no ban the importation of shark o.

Jonathan has foresight. Trying to prepare a nice retirement after 2015 of course he is a fisherman. just like obasanjo is doing in his farm.

Anybody can make any interpretation out of Anything but what will be WILL BE.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Asabeq(f): 12:16pm On Aug 28, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin I heard many lagosians have started fish pepper soup joint!
God sends manna from heaven!
Mammywater sends mammal from the ocean! cheesy

nickz: No fish importation for the main time #ALPHA BEACH TINS. grin grin
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Asabeq(f): 12:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
Did u read his post at all like an educated lady? undecided

[
berem: Arrant nonsense! Oh boy, when last did you buy fish in the market? As i speak to you, All kinds of fish that are in the market are phucking expensive. Please don't say what you don't know. na we wey dey go market go tell you wetin dey happen! angry

1 Like

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
ceejay80s: u go live wit ur neighbour 4ever? ï
As long as i dey chop free fish, no wahala!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by anonimi: 12:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
I hope the Minister knows the implication of "total ban on IMPORTATION" of any item vis-a-vis our commitments to various related international treaties.

The usual thing to do is to increase the import DUTY on the targeted item to encourage local production and consumption.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by maxisfield(f): 12:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
Seriosly I dint knw we import fish too embarassed..I tot we do alota fishin here, our agric sector iz vry vry poor ooo!..vry soon we wil import ogili okpei angry
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
Asabeq: Did u read his post at all like an educated lady? undecided

[
No i didn't! please read it on my behalf .
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Policewoman(f): 12:43pm On Aug 28, 2013
Abeg mke una no ban am o!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by taharqa: 12:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
Symphony007: These are some of the things that really makes my blood boil. Just imagine the amount of fish, amatuer fishermen are producing, just imagine if they had modern fishing boats and trawlers, it is will produce more fish for us, some to exports, provide employment for the fishermen, the fisherment will get more money to spend, the more money they spend the better the ecobomy gets, the fishermen pay tax to the government, the government gets foreign exchange and internal revenue. The government is always talking about developing the economy, they don't know that one thing leads to another.
Bros, wetin you dey try to talk upon all these grammar. Hope you are not slowly losing ya mind o
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by taharqa: 12:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
Longeria: Hmm.@ no cost? A sailor gives you fish every week without collecting "THAT THING" from you?

Berem, look into my eyes and confess that you are a habitual liar.
grin grin grin ..... Bull's eye
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
THE PROBLEM IS NOT BANNING
ITS THE FARMERS THAT SHOULD PRODUCE ENOUGH TO MEET THE DEMANDS
PRODUCE ENOUGH FLOOD THE MARKET WITH FISH AND IT WOULD BE
FOOLISHTO GO IMPORTING FISH
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2013
Longeria: Hmm.@ no cost? A sailor gives you fish every week without collecting "THAT THING" from you?

Goodness gracious! why am i just seeing this comment? You dey craze o! grin
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by mapet: 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2013
I think so too. Fish is so essential that I imagine if we can match the consumption level.....many other countries import fish, even China fish in the waters of Australia and New Zealand
saintkola: Not a bad move tho..
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2013
nuceo: It will go a long way to boost the economy
Bayelsa is good place to encourage fish production. Any where D water gathers in Bayelsa there is fish. And i beleive they can produce rice too due to Swampy nature.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Josephnice: 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
adanny01:

That is from Otta farm.
no never, they are being smuggled into the country through benin republic. It'll only make the commodity to sky rocket in price and enable the nigeria custome service personnel smile to the bank on daily basis. I pity those who say they are in support of the ban, if only you knew how many metric tones of fish nigeria consume daily which is not even enough to meet its demand. This minister must be high on something
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2013

***falls into Nyaba Stream***
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
Nigeria has no business importing foods,we can adequately produce what we need.
Most of these canned and processed foods from abroad are all laced with chemicals and the crops are Genetically modified to boost yields,all these have long term effects on health.
Government of Nigeria boost Agriculture,let us stop sending our money abroad buying food when God has blessed us with all we need.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Stallion84(m): 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
How realistic will this be. The giants importing fish into Nigeria are Indians and am sure they will do everything to make sure that the ban does not take effect
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Okijajuju1(m): 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Okija, when last did you give me money to cook for you? abi make i go thief for market?

shocked JESUS OF IBARI OGWA?! shocked

Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

shocked JESUS OF IBARI OGWA?! shocked

Lol! now you remind me of Ibari Ogwa. cry
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Montaque(m): 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2013
Babalegba: Idiotic government, so now the poor will not be able to afford the only source of protein affordable to them.
o boy,which plan will you applaud in this country?we import almost everything here,even agricultural products dat we are endowed with naturally.l heard rice importation will stop next year,and am happy cos we have better climes than thailand and china in rice production. Now its fish,i love it more cos our agric faculties have been rendered impotent cos of importation,and it goes out to all the sectors.our gov is nt idiotic,they are making decisions that wil put u,us on track.they shud even ban importation of finished clothes nd garments,okrika and all such things we can produce internally.even the abt to be revived train service wil help us curb the amount of revenue we give to japan,and the destruction of our roads by over pressure.Bros,sit tight and kip mute,jst feel the fresh air
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Originalsly: 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
Why import what is available locally? If not banned then imported fish should be heavily taxed. I hope the FG is not planning to promote the production of genetically modified fish or import fish foods.
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by israelbenzion: 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2013
berem: Who cares? Fish is more expensive than frozen chicken. Thank God for my neighbor who gives me fresh fish at no cost every week. He's a sailor BTW. cool
But what do u give him every night in 'appreciation'? *i pull my shoes, hold dem in my hands, and run faster dan Usain Bolt before dem carry pestle break my head*
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by TCUBE(m): 7:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
weazley: nonsense, I thought frozen chicken was banned a couple of yrs bac? I just bought 2 kilos dis morning,
we are coming to arrest you and your 2 kilos okay. Keep typing!!!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Tolexander: 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
berem: ehe? undecided
hmmm!
Berem!
Eh eh o!
Mo ti gbo o!
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by telexfree1: 8:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:

***falls into Nyaba Stream***

Are you from Nnewi ?
Re: FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister by Niloticus: 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
Mr President: Good analysis. And for over a year now issuance of licences to import fish has been put on hold. Technically any frozen fish in the market is unlicensed and illegally imported.

Yes..the half year fish import license is under suspension...effective from the July 2013, however some major members of AFISUN have huge numbers of Form M's already established prior to the suspension of license ...they are still importing partials on those Form M's...so technically speaking not all frozen fish in the market is illegally imported. Without a valid for Forex Form M...importers will have problem remitting bills to suppliers oversea.

BTW....the minister is about to sign the directive authorizing the FDF to start issuing licenses. Some big guns in AFISUN have complained at the highest level of goverment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Boko Haram Seize Mubi In Adamawa, Sack Army HQ / Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Trial Adjourned / Power Grid Record 206 Collapses In 9 Years, Foreign Funded Investment Hits N715B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.