Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,622 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK (95013 Views)

List Of The Best & Most Affordable States In The Western Part Of Nigeria / Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / 15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by filibust: 10:35pm On Oct 11, 2010
Hello guys,
Pls i need to know how to get to study in the u.k. It's bin my ambition but i don't know how to go about it.
I'll prefer sometime like undergraduate or a radio college. Thanks.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:57pm On Oct 11, 2010
^^^ How old are you? And what is Radio College?
filibust:

Hello guys,
Pls i need to know how to get to study in the u.k. It's bin my ambition but i don't know how to go about it.
I'll prefer sometime like undergraduate or a radio college. Thanks.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Larsoslaw(m): 9:43pm On Oct 26, 2010
Hello Ppl!

Allow me to ask u a couple of questions. I just passed my undergraduate degree (magna cumlaude - Economics) & very good CV. I want to work as a consultant (I prefer biotech. sector, healthcare) / "big 4" management consulting firms, R.Berger, S. Kucher& Partners.

-Which unis. in UK & Germany should I pick?
-Which M.Sc programme should I take: economics, management, healthcare management?
-Does anybody have exp. with IMEX or CEMS programme at LSE?
For now I have a plan to send app. forms to:
UK.: Oxbridge,Imperial,UCL ,Warwick,KCL, LSE, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh.
Ger.: Mannheim,WHU any other good uni?

Thank u all

Cheerio!
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:39pm On Oct 26, 2010
Larsoslaw:

Hello Ppl!

Allow me to ask u a couple of questions. I just passed my undergraduate degree (magna cumlaude - Economics) & very good CV. I want to work as a consultant (I prefer biotech. sector, healthcare) / "big 4" management consulting firms, R.Berger, S. Kucher& Partners.

-Which unis. in UK & Germany should I pick?
-Which M.Sc programme should I take: economics, management, healthcare management?
-Does anybody have exp. with IMEX or CEMS programme at LSE?
For now I have a plan to send app. forms to:
UK.: Oxbridge,Imperial,UCL ,Warwick,KCL, LSE, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh.
Ger.: Mannheim,WHU any other good uni?

Thank u all

Cheerio!

First of all, something tells me you are not from Nigeria?  wink

I don't know much about German unis. I am also guessing there is less of an exclusivity access into universities in most of non-UK Europe so normally there are only a handful of unis that are regarded as above others and even that said the gap is not that high. I think in the UK, most likely only LMU Munich and Heidelberg might be really known but their advantage is really minimal, most likely people will look at your grades from a German Uni.

In regards to UK, you seem to have the right mix of university you plan to target, so no need to go further in advising. You can go back some few pages on this thread to see the Universities consultancies specifically target.

If you want to work in Healthcare/Life Science Consulting, target the universities with the best Medical/Science schools. You will do your chances a lot of good if you have a PhD as most of your clients in that industry would be PhD holders and the consulting firms would really want to show they are bringing someone on par that can add EXTRA value and knows the industry into detail or is highly familiar with research (the beans and toast of the sector).

Take note that:

- S. Kucher & Partners is a marketing focused consultancy with leading expertise and reputation in pricing.

- The Big 4 are likely to mainly engage in process and operations consulting (e.g. supply chain, BPR, finance, customer service etc) in the Healthcare industry.

- Roland Berger is focused on strategy, operations and restructuring consulting.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Larsoslaw(m): 11:25pm On Oct 26, 2010
Thank you for the reply. Because I am fluent in German Language I am also aiming some German Unis. or maybe Swiss St. Gallen because of strong German economy, Strong German/Swiss Pharmaceutical and BioScience sectors, Good living standard in Switzerland, etc. I just found that Mannheim is placed high at the financial times ranking and that`s why I put it on the 1st place but I do not know nothin` about Heidelberg and LMU.

No I am not from Nigeria Sir. I met some friendly Nigerian Students and one of my favourite prof. at my uni was from Nigeria really cool prof , but this is not the main point of visiting this forum, to be honest with u I just skim your posts and I found them very useful. Especially b`cause you really know what are you writing and before I send all the stuff I wanted to hear you advice.

Well, what do you think, which programme is better to take prestigious economics programme or "easier" management or sth. else?

Cheerio!
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2010
Larsoslaw:

No I am not from Nigeria Sir. I met some friendly Nigerian Students and one of my favourite prof. at my uni was from Nigeria really cool prof ,  but this is not the main point of visiting this forum,   to be honest with u I just skim your posts and I found them very useful. Especially b`cause you really know what are you writing and before I send all the stuff I wanted to hear you advice.

I guessed as much, mate.  wink

I have had another foreigner contact me before for advice after reading the thread.

Larsoslaw:

Thank you for the reply. Because I am fluent in German Language I am also aiming some German Unis. or maybe Swiss St. Gallen because of strong German economy, Strong German/Swiss Pharmaceutical and BioScience sectors, Good living standard in Switzerland, etc. I just found that Mannheim is placed high at the financial times ranking and that`s why I put it on the 1st place but I do not know nothin` about Heidelberg and LMU.

Good thing you are fluent in German.

In Germany, Roland Berger is the Bees knees (that is creme de la creme, elite, most prestigious) in consulting, so they must be hiring the best of class of students. Since you are fluent in German, you can visit their German website and look at the universities they go to and recruit on campus at. Then you can use this as a guiding principle of the universities that the best students go to in Germany.

In regards to UK, I think this post might be of specific use to you:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.160.html#msg6774001

It is a Healthcare consulting firms advert and it shows how they regard some unis as the only exclusive place they want to recruit from for consulting in the sector you are interested in specifically. So it seems the Golden Triangle universities will give a good leverage for healthcare consulting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Triangle_%28UK_universities%29

Larsoslaw:

Well,  what do you think,  which programme is better to take prestigious economics programme or "easier" management or sth. else?

Cheerio!

Sorry, mate, I would not know much about these specifics, you need to use the school's website for the programme details.

If you are asking about which will get you into consulting, consulting firms are more interested in your intellectual aptitude than what you studied but pharma consulting firms might value scientific research background candidates.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Larsoslaw(m): 12:19pm On Nov 01, 2010
Hello Mr. Sagamite.

What do you think about University of Manchester? Does Uni. of Man. have good reputation among business ppl in UK? Because you didn`t mention it on your list of estemeed unis.

Cheerio!
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 12:32pm On Nov 01, 2010
^^^ Manchester is sometimes a tough sell.

It is a solid university in research section but due to its size, it is not really that exclusive and does not have the snob-factor that is prevalent and essential to elite universities.

For example, none of the snobbish MBBs target the university for recruitment. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.160.html#msg6771301

That said, it is still indubitably a redbrick university.

Here are my earlier comments on Manchester:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.32.html#msg5006697

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.128.html#msg5905180

For easier comparisons, lets use the car industry, if Ferraris, Rolls Royce, Lamboughinis, Porsche etc are top of the prestige flash cars, Manchester would be like BMW. That is, it is quality but easily accessible by a lot of people that work hard enough so the exclusivity and esteem is slightly diminished, although still high. The others are beyond most average people's reach.

That said, there will be very few doors the "Hot Group 1a" can open that Manchester cannot open. Such doors will exist but will not be much of them. On the other hand, there will be far more doors that a "Star" or "In a Class of their Own" Unis will open that Manchester cannot open for a candidate.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2010
Here is another elitism. This time in the Investment Banking industry.

UBS set up a stock market trading challenge competition for first year students but they restricted participation to only students from 9 universities:

1] Cambridge
2] Oxford
3] LSE
4] Imperial
5] Warwick
6] UCL
7] KCL
8] Bristol
9] City

http://www.ubs.com/1/e/career_candidates/graduate_and_intern/europe_middleeast_africa/ubs_challenge.html

[size=18pt]The UBS Challenge 2010[/size]

In 2009, The UBS Challenge began as a pilot competition for first-year students at four universities in the UK. Part fantasy stock exchange and part adventure weekend, The UBS Challenge was implemented to give students an unforgettable weekend and create awareness about UBS.

After its success, the competition is now offered to first-year students at nine universities: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University of Warwick, London School of Economics, University College London, City University, University of Bristol, Kings College London, and Imperial College.

After signing up for the challenge, students are given a virtual budget of £100,000 to trade with on the London Stock Market. Their competition? Savvy student traders at their own university as well as the other eight schools. The players with the highest-earning portfolios from each university are then whisked away to Eastnor Castle in Ledbury, UK to compete in both mental and physical challenges.

From ziplining off the top of a castle to clay pigeon shooting, the students are active all day - apart from a hearty warm lunch by the fireplace. Throughout the day, each individual and team are scored. Last year, the top UBS challengers won prizes such as iPod Shuffles , a camera and a Mac Book Pro.

Interested in getting involved? If you are graduating in 2013 and attend one of the nine universities mentioned above click here to play now.

This is very aligned to my top schools for front office investment banking jobs:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html#msg4632089

It contains exactly the top 8 universities on my list plus City university.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by donyomi(f): 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2010
@ Sagamite

Good to know that you are still following this thread. I am currently applying at the Cranfield University for an M.Sc in Mgmt Information Systems.

I had applied to Warwick and Lancaster but I am considering Cranfield Part-time cos that allows me start earlier than 2011 Sept.

I turned 27 last week, have about 6yrs work experience and have reach mid-level in the financial industries here in Nigeria.

Do you think this is a good call?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 1:38pm On Nov 05, 2010
don_yomi:

@ Sagamite

Good to know that you are still following this thread. I am currently applying at the Cranfield University for an M.Sc in Mgmt Information Systems.

I had applied to Warwick and Lancaster but I am considering Cranfield Part-time cos that allows me start earlier than 2011 Sept.

I turned 27 last week, have about 6yrs work experience and have reach mid-level in the financial industries here in Nigeria.

Do you think this is a good call?

You seem to have 3 good universities there.

Honestly at MSc level in IT after years of work, it is really tough to be differentiating between the 3 because at your level (I don't know about Nigeria but in the UK), employers would be more keen on the technology and IT skills you are experienced in/proficient at, not really the elitism of your school.

If there was some serious gaps between the universities, e.g. Imperial vs Teesside, or if you are intending on taking a postgrad that is research-based then it is a whole different case.

But for these 3, my gut would tell me that you should focus on the course contents and see which university provides you with the chance to learn an area of IT you are keen in and employers want.

Of course you preferences in regards to finances, location, attendance flexibility etc would also count when you select.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by donyomi(f): 2:05pm On Nov 05, 2010
@sagamite

Thank you.

I had gone through this and they all seem really similar.

They have partnerships with SAP and give you a chance to certify while you study.

I guess i will stick to cranfield cos of the start date advantage.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 8:32pm On Nov 24, 2010
University of Oxford's dominance and clout in public life

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10136/1058542-82.stm

[size=18pt]Britain's Old School[/size]
Cameron's appointment as prime minister reinforces Oxford University's dominance in British politics

The British election has finally ended. After a few twists and turns, what seemed inevitable a few months ago has come to pass: David Cameron is prime minister. Mr. Cameron ran on the simple slogan "Time for Change." And while he might change some things about this country, one thing will stay the same: Oxford University will continue to exercise disproportionate influence on British political life.

In the last 50 years, Britain has had 10 prime ministers. Eight, including Mr. Cameron, earned their undergraduate degrees at the university. By comparison, in the same half-century, only one of the 10 American presidents attended Harvard as an undergraduate -- John F. Kennedy.

Mr. Cameron's inner circle further reasserts Oxford's historic dominance: The Conservative Party leader's best friend, Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne; Foreign Secretary William Hague and Education Secretary Michael Gove, all attended Oxford in the 1980s. And London's mayor, Boris Johnson, was a classmate and rival of Mr. Cameron's back in the days when both were members of Oxford's notorious upper-class boozing society, the Bullingdon Club.

The special relationship of the Cameroons has already been chronicled in a television play, "When Boris Met Dave," written by Toby Young, a rough Oxford contemporary of Mr. Cameron. It aired on Channel Four, whose then-chairman Luke Johnson is also part of the Oxford crowd.

But Mr. Cameron's prospects really took off when The Sun newspaper announced it was backing the Tories. The Sun is owned by Oxford grad Rupert Murdoch.

The Cameron government will be scrutinized constantly by news organizations run by Oxford grads including the biggest: the BBC. Mark Thompson. The BBC's director-general, is a graduate, as is political editor Nick Robinson. The BBC's "constitutional expert" is Mr. Cameron's former tutor, Oxford professor Vernon Bogdanor.

The lighter and corrupt side of the new government will be lampooned in Britain's leading satirical magazine, Private Eye. Editor Ian Hislop and deputy editor Francis Wheen both call Oxford their alma mater.

The Oxford connection is also a factor in America. Professional atheist Christopher Hitchens and uber-editor Tina Brown attended Oxford a generation before Mr. Cameron et al. Professional gay-conservative-Catholic controversialist Andrew Sullivan's time at the university fell between Mr. Hitchens and Mr. Cameron.

There are 133 universities in the United Kingdom. Surely one or two others might produce top-flight political leaders. Why in the 21st century should Oxford grads still dominate public life?
Partially, it's the physical impact of the place. To spend three years of your life wandering up painfully pretty back streets like Queen's Lane is to be invited to inhabit the guts of history. The first Oxford colleges were founded in the 11th and 12th centuries. And daily life reflects that unique heritage. Everything seems to happen with costumes on: You sit for exams wearing special gowns and the academic calendar is marked with traditional ceremony after traditional ceremony where fancy dress is required.

The education is about you, you, you. It is centered around a weekly one-on-one meeting with a tutor during which the student discusses an essay he or she has written. There are no classes and no semester grades as such, just exams taken at the end of the first and third years in the student's major. They have to hope those one-on-one tutorials prepare them for that ordeal.

When not working on essays, undergraduates are free to attend lectures and learn as they please, to join clubs, to think great thoughts -- or learn to politic. After three years of this, a person might begin to feel that he or she is special, with a certain entitlement to a leading role in British society.

Another critical reason for the dominance of Oxford is that until very recently admissions were dominated by students from a handful of what the British call "public schools" -- what the rest of the world calls private schools. They include places like Eton, where David Cameron and Boris Johnson were educated, and Westminster, where George Osborne and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg went to school.

A 2008 study by the Sutton Trust showed that 3 percent of Britain's secondary schools provided a third of the pupils accepted to Oxford and its elite counterpart Cambridge (Mr. Clegg's alma mater). The public school graduates arrive at Oxford with an already well-developed sense of superiority that colors much of social life among undergrads.

It was big news about a decade ago when, for the first time, more state school students than public school students made up the Oxford student body. That trend is slowly continuing. Fifty-seven percent of the incoming 2010 class will have graduated from state schools, according to Mike Nicholson, Oxford University's director of undergraduate admissions.

Mr. Nicholson said the undergraduate recruitment process is at the heart of Oxford's success. It works very differently than in the United States. Fewer people apply for Oxford's roughly 3,200 spots than to Harvard or Stanford. One in five applicants is accepted. This is, in part, because British students who apply to Oxford cannot also apply to Cambridge.

The admissions criterion starts with proven academic performance at school and on standardized tests. However, the extracurricular activities beloved of American high school guidance counselors are not important for admission to the two elite British universities, known collectively as Oxbridge.

What counts most, according to Mr. Nicholson, is "potential academic ability. Will a student flourish in the tutorial system?" In other words, you can be coached to do well on Kaplan tests, but there is no way to be coached into talking the talk of the Oxford tutorial. This "talk" is hard to explain but you can get a sense of it listening to cultural programs on BBC radio.

This leads to the downside of Oxford recruitment. Many intellectually gifted high school students feel they can't talk that rarefied talk -- a confident style of speaking that evolved over the centuries when Oxford was even more thoroughly dominated by privately educated, upper-class types -- and so do not bother to apply to Oxford.

Mr. Nicholson was one of those students. He admits his academic work in high school would have earned him at least consideration for admission, but he did not apply because he felt that he would not fit into Oxford society. Now his job is focused on undoing "the mystique of what it takes to get in" and encouraging a more socially diverse pool of high school students to apply.

Julia Paolitto has a trans-Atlantic take on Oxford's secret. A graduate of Yale who earned her doctorate from Oxford and who works for the university, Dr. Paolitto said being drilled in this style of speech is an extra that the Oxford grad earns in addition to a diploma.

"There's an attractiveness in the way they can talk about themselves," Dr. Paolitto said. "They can articulate things in a way that graduates of other types of education might not."

On a recent afternoon at the Oxford Union, the university debating society, it was not hard to find the paradigm of what Dr. Paolitto was talking about.

Laura Winwood is the union's president. Age 21 going on 50, Ms. Winwood runs the union. From her office, its walls lined with crusty old leather-bound books and a significant sound system pumping out progressive rock, Ms. Winwood and her team organize the lectures and debates that keep the union famous.

Ms. Winwood says the old stereotype of the Oxford student -- a gent from Eton passing through, studying history and moving on to run the country -- is out of date, although Mr. Cameron and his team fit that image, as does the fact that the union's officers still attend debates wearing white ties and evening dress.
"I like the fact that we retain tradition," Ms. Winwood said. "That does not mean we are socially elitist."

Elegantly put, but the union presidency by its nature opens the door into the most elite strata of society. First of all, it is an elected position, a perfect opportunity to practice politics before heading into that career. Second is what the job entails. Ms. Winwood explained that she was finalizing arrangements to bring Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia to speak at the union. That meant dealing directly with Mr. Najib's office and making all the necessary logistical and security arrangements. It is the kind of practical experience that buffs up a resume when a graduate goes for her first job interviews.

This is the subtle way in which Oxford continues to influence British public life. When Ms. Winwood leaves she will get a good entry-level job -- she expressed interest in working as a management consultant. Down in London there will be a dense network of super-achieving Oxonians to look out for her.

But is what is good for Ms. Winwood and her peers good for the nation? Alex Connock, who runs a production company with Sir Bob Geldof, is one Oxford grad who has asked that question.

In an e-mail interview, Mr. Connock expressed ambivalence about the university's clout, saying it could well cut the country off from many talented folks.

In any case, Oxford's dominance looks set to continue. The Labour Party is holding an election to replace Gordon Brown as leader and, they hope, put them in position to win the next election. Two candidates are David Miliband and his brother, Ed.

Yes, they are graduates of Oxford.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by AjanleKoko: 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2010
Nice one Saga. Can someone do a similar assessment of US universities? wink
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2010
Thanks, bruv!!!
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:40pm On Nov 30, 2010
One of the university campuses I have always adored is University of Greenwich.

STUNNING!

[img]http://www.teikav.edu.gr/abd/img/greenwich_uni.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img168.echo.cx/img168/2743/image374by.jpg[/img]
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by OmoTier1(m): 11:30pm On Nov 30, 2010
All this blah blah about league tables and what not! Duno how many FTSE 100 companies will recruit you 'cos you attended a university in the top 10 of the league table! Except for Bristol, most of the unversities listed top 10 are pretty useless in Engineering related degree anyway. Amongest the FTSE 100 Engineering companies I have worked in, I could count those of us that were from universities in the top 10 league tables and blimmin' when I had the opportunity to chat with some of the brains behind Concord, A380 aircraft, pretty amazing that none of them were products of these 'Elites' university rather majority were from "old chappy" university.

So my candid words to anyone going into UK university to study desk and workshop related degrees ( and not those desk top degrees), is for you to open your eyes and have a vivid look at the modules content. Take a tour (virtual or real ) of their facilities and try to find information relating to their teaching quality. Go to the professional accrediting body's website and check if the university is on the list of accredited university for the degree award.

At the end employers will only recruit you based on what you have learned and put to use from what you were thought ( i.e. hands on experiencial knowledge) and not by the name of the university you attended, especially if your career prospect is in Engineering - Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical, Civil, Nuclear, etc
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by DisGuy: 11:59pm On Nov 30, 2010
^^ kinda agree to an extent with Tier1, Engineering in these school is not as strong

old chappy? more like traditional engineering school Newcastle Brunel etc

been looking for a postgraduate course and i was considering Aston, its got good rep and good all round facilities in many departments including Business and Engineering but I discovered Exeter also offered the same course and guess what- never heard/knew Exeter had a university on till i met this girl a month ago studying politics and international something there! funny enough it's above Aston in the league undecided
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by despam(m): 4:47pm On Dec 01, 2010
@OmoTier, Sagamite

I will be applying to these Universities for MEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering. I have contacted them and have been asked to apply to them except for Bristol. Still waiting to hear from them.

1. UCL

2. University of Birmingham

3. University of Leeds

4. University of Bristol

5. University of York

6. Newcastle University.

I will apply to only 5 of these universities. If I receive a positive response from Bristol, which of them do you think I should drop from the list. Moreso, University of York offers MEng Electronics & Computer Engineering.

How do you rate the Engineering courses in these universities especially Electronics Engineering.

Thanks.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by OmoTier1(m): 7:06pm On Dec 01, 2010
despam:

@OmoTier, Sagamite

I will be applying to these Universities for MEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering. I have contacted them and have been asked to apply to them except for Bristol. Still waiting to hear from them.

1. UCL

2. University of Birmingham

3. University of Leeds

4. University of Bristol

5. University of York

6. Newcastle University.

I will apply to only 5 of these universities. If I receive a positive response from Bristol, which of them do you think I should drop from the list. Moreso, University of York offers MEng Electronics & Computer Engineering.

How do you rate the Engineering courses in these universities especially Electronics Engineering.

Thanks.
Dude, let me start by saying you have began by making a good choice to go for MEng as most top FTS 100 Enginering companies now prefer MEng students than MSc for the obvious reason that MEng student cover more subject areas and do then to end up with broad knowledge of field of Engineering compared to their MSc counterpart - (at least that was part of the findings from some top UK Engineering companies including Airbus, UK.
As for the list, I would go for Bristol ! Redbrcik university, top notch in Engineering and Medical Sciences. Facility wise ther have it in place. I have been to much of their Engineering facilities , seen it with my eyes first hand and they are right there at the tops when you mention facilities. Another plus for Bristol is their close collaboration with many EU research agencies. The location, Clifton, Watershed/Bedminister area is just ideal for student, as accommodation is relatively cheap, food (thought cheap but African food is abit expensive), transportation-very good network of bus roots with Uni Bristol having their own bus shuttle from the different campuses to city center, First great western Bus 8 connects Clifton to City Center- lots on this route, UWE bus shuttle available too.

Next Uni on that list will be joint UCL /Leeds. Great facilities, good enironment. Had couple of matey in Leeds and they absolutely loved it there.

Like I said, the most important thing when choosing university for Engineering degree is accreditation! So if I were you , I would go to IET website ('cos I know IET accredits Electrical, Mechanical, Aerosapce-Systems/Avionics and whole lots) and check if those universities you listed are all have electrical accredited to MEng level. Mind you some are accredited to BEng level and not MEng and some are accredited for MSc but not MEng.

Finally, as for Bristol, they like to satisfy their top A-Levels posh students first. But if you have very god A-levels result, then you most likely going to get admited into Bristol but you would have to apply early! Okay maybe some people are not aware of this, but most of the UK redbricks universities have allocation/quota reserved for some "elites". Like some years back, Tony Blair's kiddie used that quota to get into Bristol when his dad was still the PM.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by despam(m): 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2010
@OmoTier,

Thanks for your response. The course is accredited by IET up to MEng level for those Universities. I have a list of accredited courses by IET as at October 2010. I happen to be a Member of IET.

Once again, thanks.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NiceSabil: 12:00pm On Dec 15, 2010
@Saga, Tier1,

Hello everyone,

Please whats your take on the new UK tuition fees increase in view of non EU students? Also, there are speculations that the UK govt plans on highly limiting the number of international students coming to UK Unis from nxt year. How would this affect international students especially prospective Postgraduates like myself from Naija?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2010
NiceSabil:

@Saga, Tier1,

Hello everyone,

Please whats your take on the new UK tuition fees increase in view of non EU students? Also, there are speculations that the UK govt plans on highly limiting the number of international students coming to UK Unis from nxt year. How would this affect international students especially prospective Postgraduates like myself from Naija?

To me, there are 2 highly likely manifestation of the restriction:

1) This will lead to slight hike in fees as universities try to fill the funds gap that the previous volume of students provided by charging the smaller body of students more. This is even more likely to happen if they cannot charge home students more in fees.

Or

2) There will be no change in fees for serious students as the restriction is more likely to be mostly applied to students that are trying to attending all the quack colleges (teaching English, BusAdmin, Commerce etc) that students use to get visa and never really attend and instead work. If this was the case then this is unlikely to affect the serious students attending any of the 120 or so universities in the UK.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 4:50pm On Dec 15, 2010
Talking about quack colleges that help immigrants get visa:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-568504.0.html#msg7337723
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NiceSabil: 10:37am On Dec 16, 2010
Sagamite:

To me, there are 2 highly likely manifestation of the restriction:

1) This will lead to slight hike in fees as universities try to fill the funds gap that the previous volume of students provided by charging the smaller body of students more. This is even more likely to happen if they cannot charge home students more in fees.

Or

2) There will be no change in fees for serious students as the restriction is more likely to be mostly applied to students that are trying to attending all the quack colleges (teaching English, BusAdmin, Commerce etc) that students use to get visa and never really attend and instead work. If this was the case then this is unlikely to affect the serious students attending any of the 120 or so universities in the UK.

Hi @Saga

thanks for the info.

Further to this, do you envision any employment restrictions by the UK Govt on international students after concluding their studies from any of the elite Unis?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2010
NiceSabil:

Hi @Saga

thanks for the info.

Further to this, do you envision any employment restrictions by the UK Govt on international students after concluding their studies from any of the elite Unis?

Honestly, that is a toss in the air.

I think once they allow you in to study they would be happy, and have been so far, for you to contribute to the economy after you finish. On the other hand, if the economy is bad and there are not enough jobs, one cannot know if they would harden.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 6:04pm On Dec 29, 2010
King's College Lagos, one of Nigeria's premier secondary schools, has more financial endowment than most UK universities (even some of the elite ones).

King's College Lagos has an endowment of N5bn ($33m). This appears to be the highest in Africa for a secondary school.

The top 2 secondary schools in South Africa are Hilton College and Michaelhouse.

Hilton's endowment is $5.5m and Michaelhouse is $3.2m.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by cfranky: 4:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
Please i need your advice. I have HND in Elect/Elect Engineering. I intend going for a Top up programme in the UK. I have two schools in mind, University of Huddersfield and University of Sunderland. University of Huddersfield have a top up programme in BEng Engineering with technology management (Electronic and Electrical) while University of Sunderland have a Top Up programme in BEng(Hons) Electronic and Electrical Engineering. Which of them is better?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by cfranky: 4:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
Please i need your advice. I have HND in Elect/Elect Engineering. I intend going for a Top up programme in the UK. I have two schools in mind, University of Huddersfield and University of Sunderland. University of Huddersfield have a top up programme in BEng Engineering with technology management (Electronic and Electrical) while University of Sunderland have a Top Up programme in BEng(Hons) Electronic and Electrical Engineering. Which of them is better?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 4:43pm On Feb 24, 2011
cfranky:

Which of them is better is irrelevant, they are both in virtually the same class.

Choose based on course content, fees and location that suits you.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by loma(m): 6:20am On Mar 06, 2011
Anyone currently in Oxford here?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 2:20am On Mar 11, 2011
The Times Higher Education (THE) just released another league table of Global "Top 100 Universities by Reputation" based on the opinion of global academics. The reputation is judged based on research and teaching in the ratio 2:1.

Here are the UK Top 10 for 2011 produced in the format:

UK Rank) Name (World Rank)

THE Top 100 Universities by Reputation (totally Research & Teaching reputation amongst global academics biased [100% weighting])
1) Cambridge (3)
2) Oxford (6)
3) Imperial (11)
4) UCL (19)
5) LSE (37)
6) Edinburgh (45)
7) KCL (61-70)
7) Manchester (61-70)
9) Bristol (81-90)
10) Leeds (81-90)

Warwick and St Andrews were not in top 100. Sheffield and London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine were both in Top 100 in the group 91-100, hence both 11th in UK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II) / Best Polytechnic In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.