Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK (95121 Views)

List Of The Best & Most Affordable States In The Western Part Of Nigeria / Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / 15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 29, 2009
m
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2009
NobiGod:

@Sagamite

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Before I become renown I will tell my wife about you.
I think I will wait another year (age is not on my side tho)  to save up but can't afford to do latter
u made it seem what it is, Kalokalo. And I'm usually not the lucky type.

BTW, I know Warwick to be ambitious but didn't know their placement is tight.

Chei, I don leave Nigeria for too long o.  grin

I had to google kalokalo before I understood what it meant. Those waffi boys fit sell me with broken english as I have lost touch.  grin

Warwick is a top university all round. But it is particularly strong in quantitative related subjects like Maths, Economics, Engineering and Finance. I would say after Top 5 it is the strongest in these areas and might even be pulling a competition with UCL, hence their students predominance in High Finance.

It also has a top business school.

My attitude is that life is a game of chess. Even if life does not deal you the best cards, your tactical approach to life might be what would differentiate you and help you compete effectively to get the checkmate. Most people that want to enter the IFC and World Bank might not have the tactical thinking of looking beyond the norm and build a profile by taking a different street to the destination to avoid the traffic jam.

If you get the experience of working with firms that deal with poor people and combine this with your qualifications, it just might be the edge that would get you to your goal. So look at Charities and even the emerging micro-finance banking, micro-insurance and micro-credit sector.

If you get a job in FINCA International, Gamelan Council or Grameen Foundation and build a strong profile and knowledge in investment/strategy/finance in any of them, who the hell is the IFC not to give you a job?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2009
hacker777:

@sagamite
i think you are the last blessing i got for november! Thanks alot.

Since neither RGU nor Abeerden will allow me do a top-up, i'll rather first get through the top-up with kent, then, i will move up for the Masters.
Or do you have a better thought?

Wetin be top-up?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Chei, I don leave Nigeria for too long o.  grin

I had to google kalokalo before I understood what it meant. Those waffi boys fit sell me with broken english as I have lost touch.  grin

Warwick is a top university all round. But it is particularly strong in quantitative related subjects like Maths, Economics and Finance. I would say after Top 5 it is the strongest in these areas and might even be pulling a competition with UCL, hence their students predominance in High Finance.

It also has a top business school.

My attitude is that life is a game of chess. Even if life does not deal you the best cards, your tactical approach to life might be what would differentiate you and help you compete effectively to get the checkmate. Most people that want to enter the IFC and World Bank might not have the tactical thinking of looking beyond the norm and build a profile by taking a different street to the destination to avoid the traffic jam.

If you get the experience of working with firms that deal with poor people and combine this with your qualifications, it just might be the edge that would get you to your goal. So look at Charities and even the emerging micro-finance banking, micro-insurance and micro-credit sector.

If you get a job in FINCA International, Gamelan Council or Grameen Foundation and build a strong profile and knowledge in investment/strategy/finance in any of them, who the hell is the IFC not to give you a job?

U can even raise the spirit of the North Koreans cheesy
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Wetin be top-up?

simply upgrade your HND degree to UK BSC by doing some 'top up' courses recommended by school.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 29, 2009
v
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 11:15am On Nov 30, 2009
NobiGod:

U can even raise the spirit of the North Koreans  cheesy

The Korean one na tough assignment o.  grin

You know that in the rural areas there, the government has installed loud speakers in the village centre that blasts a reminder every morning for about an hour telling them that "their lives are great, there is suffering in the rest of the world outside North Korea, that everyone wants to be North Korean, that in South Korea they are all dropping dead of hunger, that they are lucky for having such a fantastic life", despite most only able to afford one square meal of poor quality food.  grin grin grin grin grin

Anyway, as I said tactics is the differentiator. Most successful people are streetsmart. It is not enough to just have qualifications and be academically smart from reading books, astuteness and ingenuity plays a big part and a lot of redbrick guys would not have this as you can not be taught it.

Get the tactics right and when you ever get the chance to get interviewed for the job of your dream, blow their mind out with your performance at the interview in such a way they would feel a breeze just entered the room. Let them keep having reminiscence months afterwards that they met one fantastic candidate once.

Take a look at this guy that graduated from Middlesex University but went on to take leading positions in Goldman Sachs and now Global Head of Fixed Income at UBS (i.e his salary would be north of £4m a year).

http://www.pr-inside.com/ubs-names-carsten-kengeter-global-head-r789125.htm

He did do a MSc in LSE to gloss up though but in most cases, that undergrad university background would have been a handicap when Oxford boys with Harvard MBA are applying for the same job.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 11:27am On Nov 30, 2009
NobiGod:

simply upgrade your HND degree to UK BSC by doing some 'top up' courses recommended by school.

hacker777:

@sagamite

the top-up program gives HND holders a chance to upgrade to BSc or BEng. They are addmitted into year3.

Or howelse can one upgrade an HND to uk bsc?

I can understand 3 years to upgrade an OND to a BSc, but for a HND? shocked

I thought HND was on par with BSc. undecided

Anyway, I really know nothing about top-ups.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by youngproffesor: 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2009
@sagamite,r there no skools one cn apply directly 4 masters wit HND
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 12:04pm On Nov 30, 2009
youngproffesor:

I guess there would be, just check there websites for application criteria.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by jaybee3(m): 12:08pm On Nov 30, 2009
youngproffesor:

you can never be accepted unto a MSc degree with just a HND.
Minimum pre-requisite for MSc are undergraduate degrees (BSc or BEng)
However, you can try the Post-graduate diploma route (this should normally take a year) then upgrade it to MSc.

Good luck
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 4:38pm On Dec 03, 2009
I just checked the top 20 universities' career fairs, and to my surprise, Mckinsey is visiting EXACTLY the top 10 universities I have on my league table only. This is a firm that only recruits the best of the brightest (not just the brightest) and very difficult to get into, arguably the most prestigious employer of graduates in the western world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinsey_&_Company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McKinsey_%26_Company_people
http://www.careers-in-business.com/consulting/topfirms.htm

The other 2 that make up MBB (Boston Consulting Group and Bain) appear to only visit the top 4 and they have a fair in their London office for other applicants (mainly the top London Unis).

Note:

1) I did not bother checking Oxford and Cambridge, common sense helps make the assumption that Mckinsey would be there.

2) Two universities require a login to view the employers visiting them, Warwick and Nottingham. I doubt Mckinsey go to Nottingham.

So I am feeling more confident that I got the ratings fairly right based on prestige.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 5:28pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sagamite:

I just checked the universities career fairs, and to my surprise, Mckinsey is visiting EXACTLY the top 10 universities I have on my league table only. This is a firm that only recruits the best of the brightest (not just the brightest) and very difficult to get into, arguably the most prestigious employer of graduates in the western world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinsey_&_Company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_McKinsey_%26_Company_people
http://www.careers-in-business.com/consulting/topfirms.htm

The other 2 that make up MBB (Boston Consulting Group and Bain) appear to only visit the top 4 and they have a fair in their London office for other applicants (mainly the top London Unis).

Note:

1) I did not bother checking Oxford and Cambrigde, common sense helps make the assumption that Mckinsey would be there.

2) Two universities require a login to view the employers visiting them, Warwick and Nottingham. I doubt Mckinsey go to Nottingham.

So I am feeling more confident that I got the ratings fairly right based on prestige.

I beg to disagree that they are aguably the most prestigious employer of graduate . They are a top firm no doubt but I think the
tag you gave them is subjective. I have a guy here who left them just after 3 months working with the firm. This now brings us to offices,
not all offices maintains the high standard of US and Uk in terms of profitability, entry difficulty etc. Here in North europe (western world) there application process is riddle with mediocrity. I know cause the said guy is very average. However is a very good company to work, a Mckinsey
on your resume certainly opens door.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 5:38pm On Dec 03, 2009
NobiGod:

I beg to disagree that they are aguably the most prestigious employer of graduate . They are a top firm no doubt but I think the
tag you gave them is subjective. I have a guy here who left them just after 3 months working with the firm. This now brings us to offices,
not all offices maintains the high standard of US and Uk in terms of profitability, entry difficulty etc. Here in North europe (western world) there application process is riddle with mediocrity. I know cause the said guy is very average. However is a very good company to work, a Mckinsey
on your resume certainly opens door.

Ok, if not US and UK, which country was your friend hired in?

Can you give a brief on his background so as to highlight the mediocrity?

And, finally, WTF is the name of the chic on your profile? Damn, that is how a woman should look. Not the skinny, scallywag, almost-about-to-drop-dead models women aspire to have their body shape.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 5:49pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sagamite:

Ok, if not US and UK, which country was your friend hired in?

Can you give a brief on his background so as to highlight the mediocrity?

And, finally, WTF is the name of the chic on your profile? Damn, that is how a woman should look. Not the skinny, scallywag, almost-about-to-drop-dead models women aspire to have their body shape.

The guy got a business analyst role without a degree honestly (completed all courses with average grades and just started with his thesis) . He was in his 4th year in the university when a friend introduced him to a partner (a scandinavia office). He got the job and left after 3 months for a technical role with Accenture.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 6:05pm On Dec 03, 2009
NobiGod:

The guy got a business analyst role without a degree honestly (completed all courses with average grades and just started with his thesis) . He was in his 4th year in the university when a friend introduced him to a partner (a scandinavia office). He got the job and left after 3 months for a technical role with Accenture.

You didn't answer the chic question.

In regards to this guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he lied his way in (including overstating his grades) and was kicked out after 3 months because that is quite a shocking story, he only lasted stayed a few months and then ended up in Accenture doing technical stuff, not consulting stuff.

The scenario suggest to me that most likely he was let go as he did not cut it rather than leaving voluntarily, and obviously he would not say that to people.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 6:40pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sagamite:

You didn't answer the chic question.

In regards to this guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he lied his way in (including overstating his grades) and was kicked out after 3 months because that is quite a shocking story, he only lasted stayed a few months and then ended up in Accenture doing technical stuff, not consulting stuff.

The scenario suggest to me that most likely he was let go as he did not cut it rather than leaving voluntarily, and obviously he would not say that to people.

To be fair, the guy has some tight internship experience with Nokia, ABB and Fujisu. He was not let off I believe cause Accenture happens to be winning best place to work in this said country. He left for a technical role cause he's quite good with database and some coding, studied IT.
Believe it, he got the job without sweat and left for better pay. simple.

As for the girl, I got the pic from a friend's fb, she look so much like a ex so I adopted it.  wink
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:16pm On Dec 03, 2009
NobiGod:

To be fair, the guy has some tight internship experience with Nokia, ABB and Fujisu. He was not let off I believe cause Accenture happens to be winning best place to work in this said country. He left for a technical role cause he's quite good with database and some coding, studied IT.
Believe it, he got the job without sweat and left for better pay. simple.

Best place to work is usually mostly a measure of how satisfied you with your work place and the way you are treated. Not really about the challenge and difficulty of getting a job there.

I really find it hard to contemplate someone living strategy consulting in a MBB to do Relationship Database Management. The former is likely a high speed train to C-level management (including CEO and CIO), whilst the former is likely a donkey ride through the valleys of back-office middle-management.

He either loves IT like a crazed man or is a rare exception and quirk in the system or he is telling some fibs.

NobiGod:

As for the girl, I got the pic from a friend's fb, she look so much like a ex so I adopted it.  wink

Bros, you know over time, me and you have become tight buddies. We should be looking out for each others best interest as best friends.

Abeg, shey you still get that ex's phone number, make you pass am to me. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by NobiGod: 10:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sagamite:

Best place to work is usually mostly a measure of how satisfied you with your work place and the way you are treated. Not really about the challenge and difficulty of getting a job there.

I really find it hard to contemplate someone living strategy consulting in a MBB to do Relationship Database Management. The former is likely a high speed train to C-level management (including CEO and CIO), whilst the former is likely a donkey ride through the valleys of back-office middle-management.

He either loves IT like a crazed man or is a rare exception and quirk in the system or he is telling some fibs.

Bros, you know over time, me and you have become tight buddies. We should be looking out for each others best interest as best friends

Accenture here is like Mckinsey Uk while Mckinsey here is like Monitor, Bain , BCG etc in UK. It's very difficult indeed to get a job with Accenture as they demand your result/transcript from high school to university except when you have some quality experience like his case. However I share your concern, leaving Mckinsey for Accenture is folly to say the least. What even baffles me is that the said guy is Iraqi which just happens to find the best jobs. I heard He's going into partnership with some friends to start a real estate business. You can't fault the guy for a
lack of ambition just a misplaced one.

Abeg, shey you still get that ex's phone number, make you pass am to me. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

lol lol

I won't wanna mess up ur life, she's too confuse and stubborn like a mad woman. She's a point 5 that enjoys attention and happens to get
more than enough of it from guys. Funnily, she makes u take her as a serious person and then drop u like bad habbit. And no she's not into flings literally grin grin grin
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:22pm On Dec 03, 2009
NobiGod:

Accenture here is like Mckinsey Uk while Mckinsey here is like Monitor, Bain , BCG etc in UK. It's very difficult indeed to get a job with Accenture as they demand your result/transcript from high school to university except when you have some quality experience like his case. However I share your concern, leaving Mckinsey for Accenture is folly to say the least. What even baffles me is that the said guy is Iraqi which just happens to find the best jobs. I heard He's going into partnership with some friends to start a real estate business. You can't fault the guy for a
lack of ambition just a misplaced one.

I get your point.

In Germany, I think Mckinsey is second to Roland Berger and a company like AT Kearney is on par with Bain and BCG there.

NobiGod:

I won't wanna mess up your life, she's too confuse and stubborn like a mad woman. She's a point 5 that enjoys attention and happens to get
more than enough of it from guys. Funnily, she makes u take her as a serious person and then drop u like bad habbit. And no she's not into flings literally grin grin grin

shocked shocked shocked

Oya, abeg, carry your wahala dey go.   grin  grin grin

See wetin you wan dash me. I no get time for yeye immature girls that don't know when to grow up and act like adults.  grin

Nothing irritates me more. undecided
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by DisGuy: 1:22pm On Dec 04, 2009
jay bee:

you can never be accepted unto a MSc degree with just a HND.
Minimum pre-requisite for MSc are undergraduate degrees (BSc or BEng)
However, you can try the Post-graduate diploma route (this should normally take a year) then upgrade it to MSc.

Good luck

I was looking into this with someone and i think newcastle and some traditional engineering/manufacturing unis accept HND for Msc with string background (workinh experience) Newcastle
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by jaybee3(m): 4:14pm On Dec 04, 2009
You sure about that??
Newcastle is a top uni for 'em engineering degrees. I am certain the MSc will be 2 yrs rather than a single Yr

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/subjects/eece/courses/118

They don't even consider 3rd class (who does anyway).
Nice uni to study offshore engineering though
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 06, 2009
Is it possible to get an mba in aberdeen or rgu under 15k pounds and without doing a gmat or what other school can anyone advice with especially good chance of getting a great job after studies cos i have a couple of guys who came back from england and are still jobless till now.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Dec 07, 2009
ctrume:

Is it possible to get an mba in aberdeen or rgu under 15k pounds and without doing a gmat or what other school can anyone advice with especially good chance of getting a great job after studies cos i have a couple of guys who came back from england and are still jobless till now.

Get a good job with the MBA where? UK or Nigeria?

Your guys, what did they do in the UK and where?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sauron1: 10:32pm On Dec 07, 2009
ctrume:

Is it possible to get an mba in aberdeen or rgu under 15k pounds and without doing a gmat or what other school can anyone advice with especially good chance of getting a great job after studies cos[b] i have a couple of guys who came back from england and are still jobless till now.[/b]

They musta studied History and Physical Education while they were in the UK. grin cheesy
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by DisGuy: 12:55am On Dec 08, 2009
ctrume:

Is it possible to get an mba in aberdeen or rgu under 15k pounds and without doing a gmat or what other school can anyone advice with[b] especially good chance of getting a great job after studies cos[/b] i have a couple of guys who came back from England and are still jobless till now.

chances of getting a great job is not just based on your university and qualification it's also based on the individual!! seems we in naija esp HR are still nuts about certificates
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 09, 2009
As a matter of fact,one studied business management at manchester and d other has an mba from cardiff,d one wt an msc from leeds could only get a 45k per month job at one environmental regulatory organisation in abuja,
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:55pm On Dec 09, 2009
ctrume:

As a matter of fact,one studied business management at manchester and d other has an mba from cardiff,d one wt an msc from leeds could only get a 45k per month job at one environmental regulatory organisation in abuja,

I am assuming these your friends had their first degrees in Nigeria.

With that background, in the job market environment we are in at the moment where 1 in 10 are unemployed, they would have had to go to the top 5 Unis for their MSc to have a good chance of a job.

The one with MBA from Cardiff has virtually no hope in the UK in this job environment.

There are LBS MBAs and several redbrick Uni graduates that are unemployed at the moment that would be preferred by employers.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:02pm On Dec 09, 2009
ctrume:

In the current job market environment, except you plan to return to Nigeria after the MBA, you are better off and would get a better return on your £15K by going to a high society party and spraying your money on ikebes pretending to be a Bigman so as to network with the yellow-fever, bleachers like Akala for a contract than waste your money for a MBA from Aberdeen or RGU.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2009
If you have a Nigeria-based educational background and you have this lofty dream of doing a MBA and then getting a good job in the UK rather than go back to Nigeria, then I would advice your MBA school should not be anything short of:

LBS
City
Judge
Said
Imperial
Cranfield (only if you have significant mid-management experience)
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by vicade(m): 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2009
Oxford or Middlesex , use your head people. school does not teach you how to make money. Use your head. Education is an advantage but not the focal point of being successful in Life. I did my Masters degree in Scotland and Bsc. in Babcock and today i run my own Professional Certification Business covering IT management topics in Lagos state.

Some of my friends that went to Imperial and London Business School are working in the counters at ASDA and Tesco back in the UK

Imagination is greater than Knowledge . Although Paid Education gives one an edge/advantage,one has to look beyond the ordinary.

What you become in life has more to do with you and your vision than the schools you attended

1 Like

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:54am On Dec 17, 2009
Prestige-based underperforming Universities

Universities that should be higher up the table based on quality but lack a bit in brand prestige

1) UCL - Often rated very highly but still can not compare based on prestige to its peers, LSE and Imperial, when going into the job market.
2) Manchester - As I said earlier, brand is affected by size of students, hence loosing prestige.
3) Glasgow - Very good uni, but lost as most talented people find it a trek to go that far especially as it is not that up there. Most will elect to go to Edinburgh or St Andrews instead (if deciding to going far) or go to somewhere like Southhampton or Birmingham (its peers that are closer).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Best Polytechnic In Nigeria / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.