Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 (24533 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 6:55am On Oct 01, 2014
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 7:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Addey1: Just want to drop my own two cents on the area referred to as Lagos Colony.

Going by the http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf, the Lagos Colony is not today's "Lagos Island,Ikoyi Victoria Island up to Ebute Metta" as omonnakoda thought. Pazienza was spot on. See excerpts from sections of the colonial report:

58. The construction of the railway made good progress, as did also that of the bridges connecting Lagos Island with the mainland. At the present time the line is open for the conveyance of passengers to Abeokuta but it has not yet been handed over to a railway department immediately under the control of the Local Government. If all goes well the line to Ibadan should be completed by the end of next year, and it is hoped that the bridges will be opened for traffic at the end of January or beginning of February next year

59. During the year a good many miles were constructed in the neighbourhood of Otta, in Jebu Remo, Jebu Ode, Ibadan, Iwo, and Oyo territory, a sum of over £700 being expended on this service

Furthermore, section 41 says Even in Lagos itself the floating population is so large that anything like an accurate estimate cannot be formed. I believe, however, that when the census of 1901 is taken a slight increase will be found in the population of Lagos Island while that of the Colony must be considerably larger, in view of the fact that an extensive portion of the Jebu country was ceded to Her Majesty in 1894.

This to me means that "Lagos itself" is a section of the "Colony of Lagos", not the whole.

1)Have you ever heard of the "Yorubaland Protectorate"?

2) What's the difference between a "subject of the colony" and a "protected person of the protectorate"?

3) Did the Executive Council and the Legislative Council legislate for the Yorubaland Protectorate or did they legislate solely for the Colony of Lagos?

4) What happened to the western provinces (the old Yorubaland Protectorate) in 1939?

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 2:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
naptu,

Long time...how are you?
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 5:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
MayorofLagos: naptu,

Long time...how are you?

I'm recovering from an illness, but I'm doing good. How are you?
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Omololu007(m): 6:49pm On Oct 01, 2014
I dont bliv d trash i read up dia,igbos has alwaz been d majority in lagos till now,,igbos make up abt 80% of lagos population
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 7:48am On Oct 02, 2014
naptu2:

im sad to hear that but glad to have my brother back in good state of mind and body. May God strengthen you, Amen.

Im ok, thank God.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by superstar1(m): 9:11am On Oct 02, 2014
naptu2:

Nice to have you back. Thank God for the the recovery.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by GuyFawkes: 9:15am On Oct 02, 2014
Didn't see any figures of our folks from across the niger, but as at 1966 they numbered 50,000 in Lagos, many fled to the east at the outbreak of the civil war,but after the civil war they came in their thousands and the trend hasn't ceased.
#JustSaying #OkBye lipsrsealed
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by pazienza(m): 9:20am On Oct 02, 2014
naptu2:

1)Have you ever heard of the "Yorubaland Protectorate"?

2) What's the difference between a "subject of the colony" and a "protected person of the protectorate"?

3) Did the Executive Council and the Legislative Council legislate for the Yorubaland Protectorate or did they legislate solely for the Colony of Lagos?

4) What happened to the western provinces (the old Yorubaland Protectorate) in 1939?

Irrelevant questions.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by pazienza(m): 9:22am On Oct 02, 2014
www.nairaland.com/1019602/dont-blame-1914-amalgamation-rather

Now, you yolobars should go through this thread, and learn one or two things from it.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 9:27am On Oct 02, 2014
GuyFawkes: Didn't see any figures of our folks from across the niger, but as at 1966 they numbered 50,000 in Lagos, many fled to the east at the outbreak of the civil war,but after the civil war they came in their thousands and the trend hasn't ceased.
#JustSaying #OkBye lipsrsealed

by 'our folks', do you mean Ibo people?

We need a study and revelation of what was going in Ibo territory in 1891. I would love to do a mythbuster on it. grin

i found some documentation of Lander talking about Ibo but its not lengthy. Its like hunting rabbit and then an ant crawled up your foot and so you mentioned it as a passing episode in your narrative on the rabbit hunt.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by pazienza(m): 9:28am On Oct 02, 2014
Make sure you lots assimilate every single message Obiagu1 delivered on that thread, and don't forget to digest Onlytruth's summary of the yolobar case and the relation between it and what companies do when part of their business is running on deficeit. Don't forget to view those Obiagu's maps wella,by enlarging them. You can take solace in PhyscisQED's damage control there.

Happy reading to you all.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by superstar1(m): 9:28am On Oct 02, 2014
MayorofLagos:

We need a study and revelation of what was going in Ibo territory in 1891. I would love to do a mythbuster on it. grin

i found some documentation of Lander talking about Ibo but its not lengthy. Its like hunting rabbit and then an ant crawled up your foot and so you mentioned it as a passing episode in your narrative on the rabbit hunt.

I miss the mythbursting series. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 9:40am On Oct 02, 2014
superstar1:

I miss the mythbursting series. grin grin grin grin grin

i was going to do one few weeks ago on their population claim but the freaks backed off from the argument. cheesy
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by GuyFawkes: 9:42am On Oct 02, 2014
MayorofLagos:

You know them already wink

Hmmm Ibos in 1891 Bro don't waste your time they were inconsequential in the grand scheme of things during that period, Ijaws,Itshekiris et al had more clout TBH.

I'm always available to bust their myths tho grin
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by MayorofLagos(m): 10:00am On Oct 02, 2014
GuyFawkes:

You know them already wink

Hmmm Ibos in 1891 Bro don't waste your time they were inconsequential in the grand scheme of things during that period, Ijaws,Itshekiris et al had more clout TBH.

I'm always available to bust their myths tho grin

im going to commission and install you the Obioramma the III of Nnewi and Nsukka suburbs. grin You collect tax in Ojukwu town and in Zik town. Build more recreation centers so the next batch of deported refugees from Lagos can be dumped somewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 10:25am On Oct 02, 2014
pazienza:

Irrelevant questions.

grin with no answers grin
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 10:27am On Oct 02, 2014
MayorofLagos:

im sad to hear that but glad to have my brother back in good state of mind and body. May God strengthen you, Amen.

Im ok, thank God.

Thanks very much.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 10:28am On Oct 02, 2014
superstar1:

Nice to have you back. Thank God for the the recovery.

Thanks.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 10:31am On Oct 02, 2014
pazienza: www.nairaland.com/1019602/dont-blame-1914-amalgamation-rather

Now, you yolobars should go through this thread, and learn one or two things from it.

Ah! It's about "yolobars" rather than facts or reason? I see.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2014
I'll add another question.

Have you read the Abeokuta treaties of 1893 and 1904?
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by pazienza(m): 11:47am On Oct 02, 2014
naptu2:

grin with no answers grin

Irrelevant questions deserve no answers. If you are truly interested in learning,rather than hiding behind the veneer of patroitic Nigerian to spread your tribal agenda, then you should find all the answers you need in that thread,that may cure you and your likes of the ignorance you lots have been exhibiting on this thread.
Thanks.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by naptu2: 11:54am On Oct 02, 2014
grin Once again he still can't answer simple questions that are posed to him, but prefers to run away.

Sigh.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by pazienza(m): 12:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
Once again,he refuses to learn from historical facts already presented to him in a link, but would continue peddling irrelevant questions. *grins*
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by llakes4real: 9:44am On Mar 09, 2023
To educate the children on this forum.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by techWriter5: 10:01am On Mar 09, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by FreeStuffsNG: 10:19am On Mar 09, 2023
The population of Lagos Colony was analysed into 'Yoruba' and 'Non-Yoruba' tribes:

1. Eko tribe had fallen from 57% in 1872 to 23.6% 20 years later.
2. Popo or Egun tribe was 15.85%,

3. Other Yoruba groups
Oyo - 11.6%
Ijebu - 11.01%
Awori - 9.26%
Egba - 6.05%
Ijesha - 4.32%
Egbado - 3.63%
Ekiti/Efon people - 1.76%

4. Non-Yoruba groups
Nupe/Tapa - 1.86%
Hausa - 1.86%
The Kru - 1.37%.

emmatok:
No Igbos angry
Igbo are new migrants to Lagos. That Kru are Liberians o and they even have an older history with Lagos. I have heard this before that as recent as the 80s the Igbo were not even prominent in numbers so where the story of them dominating an area in Lagos came from is at odds with reality.

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by christistruth01: 10:21am On Mar 09, 2023
TonySpike:
This is from the many private documentations compiled by archivist Pa Oloko Alli-Balogun, an octogenarian from Lagos.

The population of Lagos Colony was analysed into 'Yoruba' and 'Non-Yoruba' tribes:

3. Other Yoruba groups
Oyo - 11.6%
Ijebu - 11.01%
Awori - 9.26%
Egba - 6.05%
Ijesha - 4.32%
Egbado - 3.63%

4. Non-Yoruba groups
Nupe/Tapa - 1.86%
Hausa - 1.86%
The Kru - 1.37%.

The strength of the Eko tribe was concentrated in Wards A, B, C and D of Lagos Town and Harbour, and the Central District of Ebute Metta/Yaba.

The Aworis were concentrated in the Central District and the Popo's or Egun in the Western District.

This information can be obtained from The Nigerian Nolstagia group 1960 - 1980 project on www.facebook.com

Look
Tnere are at least eight yoruba clans with Ancient Ancestral Lands in Lagos State
Awori with over 75% of Lagos,Ijebu,Ilaje Egba,Egbado, Oyo Owu Ketu

Egun who descended from Oduduwa through the O!upopo own Badagry

The Document below is from
Sir Alfred Moloney
British Colonial Governor of Lagos 1890
Confirming that Lagos is Yorubaland

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by christistruth01: 11:47am On Mar 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

3. Other Yoruba groups
Oyo - 11.6%
Ijebu - 11.01%
Awori - 9.26%
Egba - 6.05%
Ijesha - 4.32%
Egbado - 3.63%

4. Non-Yoruba groups
Nupe/Tapa - 1.86%
Hausa - 1.86%
The Kru - 1.37%.

Igbo are new migrants to Lagos. That Kru are Liberians o and they even have an older history with Lagos. I have heard this before that as recent as the 80s the Igbo were not even prominent in numbers so where the story of them dominating an area in Lagos came from is at odds with reality.

I have been told that the Kru of Liberia and the Ijaws are ethnic relatives
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by FreeStuffsNG: 11:49am On Mar 09, 2023
christistruth01:

I have been told that the Kru of Liberia and the Ijaws are ethnic relatives
No they are not. They are more related to the Yoruba.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by christistruth01: 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
No they are not. They are more related to the Yoruba.

I thought so too
Because they recognize Oduduwa in their History I think they call him Adimu or something like that
and also according to the Ilaje Ancient history when they migrated from Ile Ife they settled near the Ijaws who they described as their relatives and it was the Ijaws that taught the Ilajes how to fish

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by llakes4real: 7:58pm On Mar 14, 2023

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

I Still Want To Rule Nigeria – Donald Duke / Ajimobi Commissions WAMCO Milk Collection Centre / FG to allocate oil blocs to skilled people from Niger Delta – Kachikwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.