Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island (7769 Views)

Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City / 15 Die As Rainstorm Wreaks Havoc In Lagos An Early Morning Rainstorm, Which Beg / Is Mend Attack In Lagos An Ijaw Versus Yoruba War? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 02, 2013
naptu2: By the way, Iddo Island also shares the same characteristics as Victoria Island. Iddo used to be completely surrounded by water, but a peninsula was later created to connect it to the mainland. Another island that has this same characteristic is Banana Island in Ikoyi.
where is the Banana island actually located in Ikoyi? Is it at the outskirts of Ikoyi?
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 9:38am On Sep 02, 2013
berem: where is the Banana island actually located in Ikoyi? Is it at the outskirts of Ikoyi?

That area is another area that has witnessed massive changes.

Banana Island was a minute island in the Lagos Lagoon. A real estate developer conceived the idea of expanding the island and making it one of the best districts in Africa. The military government stole the idea, modified it a little and created the present Banana Island. You can see that it is connected to Ikoyi by a narrow peninsula.

Across the water from Banana Island was Ikoyi Park. It was a very nice park where you could have a ppicnic at the weekends and watch the cattle igrets and the lagoon. The corrupt military governments and land developers transformed Ikoyi Park into Park View Estate, one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Nigeria.

Across the water from Banana Island and Eastern Ikoyi is Lekki Phase 1. The new bridge stretches from Lekki Phase 1 to Alexander Avenue in Ikoyi.

3 Likes

Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Oildichotomy(m): 9:39am On Sep 02, 2013
Some people sha know Lagos ,... Chai
Not some of us that grew up in gated houses that go out only when going to school or some errands.
Respects Naptu
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by TonySpike: 9:59am On Sep 02, 2013
@ OP, I believe this topic should read "Is Victoria Island, Lagos still geographically an Island?". I can see lots of historical threads on Lagos coming up these days. @ oga naptu, your attention is needed on this thread www.nairaland.com/1421083/population-statistics-lagos-british-colony/
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Pyroclast(m): 10:05am On Sep 02, 2013
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 02, 2013
naptu2:

Banana Island was a minute island in the Lagos Lagoon. A real estate developer conceived the idea of expanding the island and making it one of the best districts in Africa. The military government stole the idea, modified it a little and created the present Banana Island. You can see that it is connected to Ikoyi by a narrow peninsula.

Across the water from Banana Island was Ikoyi Park. It was a very nice park where you could have a ppicnic at the weekends and watch the cattle igrets and the lagoon. The corrupt military governments and land developers transformed Ikoyi Park into Park View Estate, one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Nigeria.

Across the water from Banana Island and Eastern Ikoyi is Lekki Phase 1. The new bridge stretches from Lekki Phase 1 to Alexander Avenue in Ikoyi.

You are undoubtedly a repository of knowledge in all things related to Lagos Sir.
Keep up the good work.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Abbott(m): 10:15am On Sep 02, 2013
Naptupedia
http://www.naptupedia.com

Naptu, I'm gbaduning you. #Salutes.

1 Like

Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by TonySpike: 10:25am On Sep 02, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 02, 2013
naptu2:

Thanks for the information naptu2, you're a genius! cool
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 11:38am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony Spike: @ OP, I believe this topic should read "Is Victoria Island, Lagos still geographically an Island?". I can see lots of historical threads on Lagos coming up these days. @ oga naptu, your attention is needed on this thread www.nairaland.com/1421083/population-statistics-lagos-british-colony/

Ok. I'll be there this evening.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 11:40am On Sep 02, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Some people sha know Lagos ,... Chai
Not some of us that grew up in gated houses that go out only when going to school or some errands.
Respects Naptu

Thanks.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 11:41am On Sep 02, 2013
Pyroclast: 'Uncle' Naptu2(I can't afford to call u just naptu2 lol). Pls can I have your email cos I don't wanna derail this great thread. I have been exploring Lagos Island this past 2weeks cos thats where I hail from. I want to know what historical places of interest to lookout for! Thanks. Mine is sayobandeley@rocketmail.com

kseventsng@gmail.com
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 11:41am On Sep 02, 2013
eGuerrilla:

You are undoubtedly a repository of knowledge in all things related to Lagos Sir.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by naptu2: 11:42am On Sep 02, 2013
Abbott: Naptupedia
http://www.naptupedia.com

Naptu, I'm gbaduning you. #Salutes.

grin
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Mustay(m): 11:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Naptu, I told you then I admired your archives.

Now I wanna steal em tongue wink :-XNaptu, I told you then I admired your archives.

Now I wanna steal em tongue wink
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by emmatok(m): 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
@naptu2 Thanks for your contributions.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
naptu2:

Ok. I'll be there this evening.
This evening? isn't it rather late? well the thread has reached almost 10 pages. Your attention is seriously needed there.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by bigben431: 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2013
Please not to sound naive. But was all of lekki a swamp?? If it got land filled what year did this happen?

How did people get to ajah before it was land filled.

Thanks.
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by nlPoster: 8:46am On Oct 11, 2019
Re: Is Victoria Island Lagos An Island by nlPoster: 8:47am On Oct 11, 2019
bigben431:
Please not to sound naive. But was all of lekki a swamp?? If it got land filled what year did this happen?

How did people get to ajah before it was land filled.

Thanks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lekki#targetText=Lekki%20is%20a%20naturally%20formed,part%20of%20Ibeju%2DLekki%20LGA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo Ex-speaker, Victor Olabintan Kidnapped In Abuja / Panama Papers: Falana Wants Public Officials With Foreign Accounts Tried / Nigeria Emerges New Chair Of Gulf Of Guinea Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.