Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,446 members, 7,861,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:54 AM

The Ifes And Modakekes!! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ifes And Modakekes!! (6588 Views)

Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 03, 2013
nawti:

The Modakeke's are not farmers, but warriors from the Oyo kingdom - read the excerpts I posted earlier wink

Modakeke is a melting-point for the defeated Owu and escapees from Oyo. As I've said earlier, Owu town was sacked and they migrated to Ife to be accepted, hence were given land and also the Oyo escapees/survivors were lumped with them to form the Modakeke town. These people were made to work as farmers/labourers on Ife farms - I didn't say they were not warriors.

How would a king from another city own land without conquering the residence and their king. The said land was up till the palace of the Ooni, hence the name Enu-owa. The palace was spared because it was regarded as the cradle of the yoruba race and should not be desicrated.

Bro, after Owa Ajibogun and Agigiri (founders of Ilesa and Ijebu Ijesa respectively) came back with what was needed to cure their father, Owa Ajbogun (founder of Ilesa) was made to pick a starting point of his land to any extent and he started from the Aafin gate to as far as near Ekiti. Ijesa for once never had any war with Ife, instead relationship between Ife has been one of the best ever. You'd always find Ijesa supporting Ife in most situation and vice-versa.

This part is correct
I am from Ife and I know my people, we are royalties and would not normally fight wars except pushed, the Modakeke's on the other hand are warriors and fighters. The only way we can match them in combat on a normal day is by cunningness and not an all out war. These people fight for a living... the baby sacrifice was denied by my Ife uncle as well, but they both agreed on the issue of a letter from the British protectorate at Ibadan which was written in red ink, but was thought to be written with human blood, coupled with the sacrifice of the day old baby (although denied by my able Paternal Uncle)

Sir, I'm from Ife (full blooded) from the original families. Heck, my grandma's sister is even the Iya-loja of Ife/Osun State and Obalesun and Yeye-lorisa (chief priest/ess of Obatala) are both picked from my family - I'm so original than you think and I'm never far from home. Ife for once never had a standing army, so war is not part of our activities. The Modakeke on the other hand have been warriors like you said but Modakeke relied solely on support from Oyo town and other Oyo allies in present day Oyo state. It wasn't as though Modakeke solely fought the war, they sought for support externally which is acceptable in war.

i admitedly made a mistake in my write up about them starting the towns in Ikire, but the other towns were started by fellow kinsmen from the old Oyo empire.

Yes, the other towns sprouted as a result of the Modakeke/Ife war - they also gave support to Modakeke in every war.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

This is a good and insightful read but you'll have to agree with me that the bolded names were at no time Oonis, hence the write up is still subjective. Goto: http://theooni.org/pastoonis.htm see if you can find the names or any almost similar names. cool

on the link, Abewela's name was mis-spelled as well I am suspecting that Ayikiti is the same as ORARIGBA, because his reign was just 2 years
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 03, 2013
nawti:

on the link, Abewela's name was mis-spelled as well

I noticed that but Ayikiti being a past 'Ooni' should be known by his popular name of 'Ayikiti'.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 2:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

I noticed that but Ayikiti being a past 'Ooni' should be known by his popular name of 'Ayikiti'.

Hopefully our uncles should know of his real names, because from the accounts, he was a great warrior-king
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
wow.brilliant thread. I have learnt a lot today. I previously only know about the wars with modakeke just before the reign of Olubuse 1. Hence the reason I called them refugees fleeing the kiriji war. I have never heard of ayikiti too. The oriki of some ife royals may or may not include the name.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2013
nawti:

Hopefully our uncles should know of his real names, because from the accounts, he was a great warrior-king

No doubt about it. I'll make calls to see what I can find.

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

Bro, after Owa Ajibogun and Agigiri (founders of Ilesa and Ijebu Ijesa respectively) came back with what was needed to cure their father, Owa Ajbogun (founder of Ilesa) was made to pick a starting point of his land to any extent and he started from the Aafin gate to as far as near Ekiti. Ijesa for once never had any war with Ife, instead relationship between Ife has been one of the best ever. You'd always find Ijesa supporting Ife in most situation and vice-versa.

The story about the sick father is incomplete, because the returning Prince the founder of Ijesha was angry on his return that he started to wage war against his brothers in other towns and conquered them.

When the Olofin became blind from old age he was much depressed in mind from this cause ; efforts were put forth to effect his cure, all of which proved fruitless, when a certain man came forward and prescribed for him a sure remedy which among other ingredients contained salt water. He put the case before his children, but none made any effort to procure some for him save his youngest grandson. This was a very brave and warlike prince who bore the title of Esinkin amongst the King's household warriors, a title much allied to that of the Kakanfo, He was surnamed Ajaka, i.e., one who fights everywhere, (on account of his proclivities) being fond of adventures. He volunteered to go and fetch some wherever procurable.

Having been away for many years and not heard of, the aged sire and every one else despaired of his ever coming back ; so the King divided his property amongst the remaining grown-up children. Although the Alado (king of Benin) was the eldest yet the Oloyo was the most beloved, and to him he gave the land, and told him to scour it all over, and settle nowhere till he came to a slippery place, and there make his abode ; hence the term Oyo (slippery) and hence Oyos are such slippery customers !
After they had all gone and settled in their respective localities, all unexpectedly, the young adventurer turned up with water from the sea ! The monarch made use of it as per prescription and regained his sight ! Hence the Ijesas who subsequently became his subjects are sometimes termed " Omo Obokun," children of the brine procurer.
Having distributed all his property he had nothing left for Ajaka he therefore gave him a sword lying by his side with leave to attack any of his brothers, especially the Alara or Alado, and possess himself of their wealth, but should he fail, to retire back to him hence the appellation " Owa Ajaka Onida raharaha " (Owa the ubiquitous fighter, a man with a devastating sword).

The Owa Ajaka settled a little way from his grandfather, and on one occasion he paid him a visit, and found him sitting alone with his crown on his head and—out of sheer wantonness—he cut off some of the fringes with his sword. The old man was enraged by this act, and swore that he would never wear a crown with fringes on.^
The Aregbajo was one of those who had a crown given to him, but the Owa Ajaka, paying him a visit on one occasion, saw it, and took it away, and never returned it : hence the kings of Igbajo never wear a crown to this day.
The Owa also attacked the Olojudo and defeated him, and took possession of his crown ; but he never put it on. On every public occasion however,it used to be carried before him. This continued to be the case until all the tribes became independent.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 3:18pm On Sep 03, 2013
As a Lagos boy, majority of the story were told to me by my father.. Bt am Ife n am feeling u guys ; dis a plus and I feel intimidated nt being able to give a constructive account..

Av read wide about this saga but it wud av been so swit if @ least I was within d region then...
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 03, 2013
When the Olofin became blind from old age he was much depressed in mind from this cause ; efforts were put forth to effect his cure, all of which proved fruitless, when a certain man came forward and prescribed for him a sure remedy which among other ingredients contained salt water. He put the case before his children, but none made any effort to procure some for him save his youngest grandson. This was a very brave and warlike prince who bore the title of Esinkin amongst the King's household warriors, a title much allied to that of the Kakanfo, He was surnamed Ajaka, i.e., one who fights everywhere, (on account of his proclivities) being fond of adventures. He volunteered to go and fetch some wherever procurable.

Having been away for many years and not heard of, the aged sire and every one else despaired of his ever coming back ; so the King divided his property amongst the remaining grown-up children. Although the Alado (king of Benin) was the eldest yet the Oloyo was the most beloved, and to him he gave the land, and told him to scour it all over, and settle nowhere till he came to a slippery place, and there make his abode ; hence the term Oyo (slippery) and hence Oyos are such slippery customers !
After they had all gone and settled in their respective localities, all unexpectedly, the young adventurer turned up with water from the sea ! The monarch made use of it as per prescription and regained his sight ! Hence the Ijesas who subsequently became his subjects are sometimes termed " Omo Obokun," children of the brine procurer.
Having distributed all his property he had nothing left for Ajaka he therefore gave him a sword lying by his side with leave to attack any of his brothers, especially the Alara or Alado, and possess himself of their wealth, but should he fail, to retire back to him hence the appellation " Owa Ajaka Onida raharaha " (Owa the ubiquitous fighter, a man with a devastating sword).

The Owa Ajaka settled a little way from his grandfather, and on one occasion he paid him a visit, and found him sitting alone with his crown on his head and—out of sheer wantonness—he cut off some of the fringes with his sword. The old man was enraged by this act, and swore that he would never wear a crown with fringes on.^
The Aregbajo was one of those who had a crown given to him, but the Owa Ajaka, paying him a visit on one occasion, saw it, and took it away, and never returned it : hence the kings of Igbajo never wear a crown to this day.
The Owa also attacked the Olojudo and defeated him, and took possession of his crown ; but he never put it on. On every public occasion however,it used to be carried before him. This continued to be the case until all the tribes became independent.

This write up still did not state Owa at any time waged war against Ile-Ife.
And I might have misconstrued what the bolded part means but is it saying there was founder of Oyo and Benin (Oloyo and Ado) were Oduduwa's offspring and different people? What happened to Oranmiyan? Oduduwa grandkids never included Oba of Benin or Alado, let's be guided.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2013
dr dams: As a Lagos boy, majority of the story were told to me by my father.. Bt am Ife n am feeling u guys ; dis a plus and I feel intimidated nt being able to give a constructive account..

Av read wide about this saga but it wud av been so swit if @ least I was within d region then...

LOL! You should familiarize yourself with your roots more and leave Lagos alone to real Lagosians.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 3:48pm On Sep 03, 2013
Man must Chop my brother..
D govt. Should create an enabling environment.
Na wher man dey work im go shop o!!
olorisa:

LOL! You should familiarize yourself with your roots more and leave Lagos alone to real Lagosians.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 4:15pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

And I might have misconstrued what the bolded part means but is it saying there was founder of Oyo and Benin (Oloyo and Ado) were Oduduwa's offspring and different people? What happened to Oranmiyan? Oduduwa grandkids never included Oba of Benin or Alado, let's be guided.

here is the answer to that:

Orafiyan the grandson of Oduduwa succeeded his grandfather on the throne. He was a very brave and warlike Prince, and of an indomitable courage. He was the founder of the order of the Esos. His body-guard consisted of 150 well- tried soldiers.

How he headed his brothers on an abortive expedition to the east to avenge the death of their great-grandfather, and how they quarrelled at Igangan and dispersed from that place, has been told in Part I. After founding the city of Oyo where he resided for a time he was said to have pushed on to a place called Okd, leaving Oyo in charge of one of the princes. This is not unlikely when we remember that that was not an age of settled government, but that the warlike and restless King was engaged in extending his dominions far and wide. Much that was known of him has been told in Part I. He resided at 6k6 for many years and according to some died there, but others affirmed that he died at He Ife, where his grave is shown to this day. But the Yorubas have a custom whenever any one died away from home, to cut the hair of his head and pare his nails, and these are taken to the place where they would have him buried, and there ceremoniously and religiously deposited. It may thus have been the case here.
But an anecdote connected with his later years must here be told :It was said that after a long period of reign an urgent necessity made him revisit the city of He Ife, which he had left for so long a time perhaps to arrange some family affairs, or to possess himself ; of some of his father's treasures left in charge of Adimu. He left his son Ajaka as Regent and went. Having stayed much longer than the time fixed for his return (communication between the two places being then dangerous and difficult) the people thought he was dead, or that at any rate he would no more return to 6k6 ; the OYO MESI who were the authorised rulers of the town consequently confirmed Ajaka on the throne, investing him with full powers, and all the insignia of royalty.
But his father was returning ; and having come within a short distance of the city, his attention was arrested by the sound of the Kakaki trumpet—a trumpet blown for the sovereign alone. Upon enquiry, he learnt what had taken place. He thereupon retraced his steps quietly to Ile Ife where he spent the rest of his days in peaceful retirement. An obelisk termed Opa Oranyan (Oramiyan's staff) erected on the spot he was supposed to have been buried is shown at Ile Ife to this day. This would seem to confirm the view that he died and was buried at Ile Ife and not at 0ko.

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
Orafiyan the grandson of Oduduwa succeeded his grandfather on the throne. He was a very brave and warlike Prince, and of an indomitable courage. He was the founder of the order of the Esos. His body-guard consisted of 150 well- tried soldiers.

How he headed his brothers on an abortive expedition to the east to avenge the death of their great-grandfather, and how they quarrelled at Igangan and dispersed from that place, has been told in Part I. After founding the city of Oyo where he resided for a time he was said to have pushed on to a place called Okd, leaving Oyo in charge of one of the princes. This is not unlikely when we remember that that was not an age of settled government, but that the warlike and restless King was engaged in extending his dominions far and wide. Much that was known of him has been told in Part I. He resided at 6k6 for many years and according to some died there, but others affirmed that he died at He Ife, where his grave is shown to this day. But the Yorubas have a custom whenever any one died away from home, to cut the hair of his head and pare his nails, and these are taken to the place where they would have him buried, and there ceremoniously and religiously deposited. It may thus have been the case here.
But an anecdote connected with his later years must here be told :It was said that after a long period of reign an urgent necessity made him revisit the city of He Ife, which he had left for so long a time perhaps to arrange some family affairs, or to possess himself ; of some of his father's treasures left in charge of Adimu. He left his son Ajaka as Regent and went. Having stayed much longer than the time fixed for his return (communication between the two places being then dangerous and difficult) the people thought he was dead, or that at any rate he would no more return to 6k6 ; the OYO MESI who were the authorised rulers of the town consequently confirmed Ajaka on the throne, investing him with full powers, and all the insignia of royalty.
But his father was returning ; and having come within a short distance of the city, his attention was arrested by the sound of the Kakaki trumpet—a trumpet blown for the sovereign alone. Upon enquiry, he learnt what had taken place. He thereupon retraced his steps quietly to Ile Ife where he spent the rest of his days in peaceful retirement. An obelisk termed Opa Oranyan (Oramiyan's staff) erected on the spot he was supposed to have been buried is shown at Ile Ife to this day. This would seem to confirm the view that he died and was buried at Ile Ife and not at 0ko.

Are you saying the Ajaka in your post is the same Ajaka you referred to as Owa Ajibogun the founder of Ijesa? From your excerpt, this Ajaka refers to an Oyo prince an on Oyo throne not Ile-Ife.
The question is the 'oloyo' and 'Alado' - see your previous post below:

Having been away for many years and not heard of, the aged sire and every one else despaired of his ever coming back ; so the King divided his property amongst the remaining grown-up children. Although the Alado (king of Benin) was the eldest yet the Oloyo was the most beloved, and to him he gave the land, and told him to scour it all over, and settle nowhere till he came to a slippery place, and there make his abode ; hence the term Oyo (slippery) and hence Oyos are such slippery customers
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2013
The origin of d name is quite fascinating. I learnt a bird called Stork was endemic in the region they domiciled den n these bird were known to make the sound mo-da-ke-ke.

D bird is called Ako in Yoruba Language.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
dr dams: The origin of d name is quite fascinating. I learnt a bird called Stork was endemic in the region they domiciled den n these bird were known to make the sound mo-da-ke-ke.

D bird is called Aro in Yoruba Language.
It's actually called "ako", and there is a festival celebrated in Modakeke called Akoraye. The word, Akoraye literally means ako (the bird) has the privilege. It states how the sound, "ke ke ke", made by the bird got the town its name, Modakeke.
I did my project partly in the palace of their traditional ruler, the Ogunsua of Modakeke.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 7:14pm On Sep 03, 2013
Learning continues *tanks*
Orlando Owoh:
It's actually called "ako", and there is a festival celebrated in Modakeke called Akoraye. The word, Akoraye literally means ako (the bird) has the privilege. It states how the sound, "ke ke ke", made by the bird got the town its name, Modakeke.
I did my project partly in the palace of their traditional ruler, the Ogunsua of Modakeke.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 03, 2013
It's good to be here, I love this thread. I'm Ijesha(both parents have been in Ilare since 1974) I was born and raised in Ile-Ife. I have heard various stories about Enuwa, some relatives used to call me Omo Ife whenever I go to Ilesa they say Ijeshaland starts from Enuwa as given to Ajaka by Olofin but I have never heard Ifes and Ijeshas fought any war in my 30yrs in Ilare Ile-Ife till I relocated to Abuja. Modakekes quest to have a crowned king caused the animosity which eventually led to war. If they had applied wisdom and patience(though they are warriors) I believe they would have gotten the crown and even local government without war. Owus never fought Egbas yet they got a crowned king. Virtue pays. War will never occur again, I work with DHQ and from little knowledge I have here I believe it will be difficult for towns to fight themselves now. DHQ through DTOP is ready to send soldiers to stop any crisis anywhere in Nigeria now unlike before when govt used to send Mopol and when soldiers come they command both sides to shealth their swords disobedience will lead to soldiers teaching them some lessons which may lead to extermination if they don't surrender on time. A o ni r'ogun mo, a o ni r'ote mo. Whoever was in Ife between 1997 and 1999 would not pray for it's re-occurence. Both sides lost people. RIP Apollo, RIP Femmo, RIP Yellow and the other fallen heroes.....Cheers
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 03, 2013
Konmight: It's good to be here, I love this thread. I'm Ijesha(both parents have been in Ilare since 1974) I was born and raised in Ile-Ife. I have heard various stories about Enuwa, some relatives used to call me Omo Ife whenever I go to Ilesa they say Ijeshaland starts from Enuwa as given to Ajaka by Olofin but I have never heard Ifes and Ijeshas fought any war in my 30yrs in Ilare Ile-Ife till I relocated to Abuja. Modakekes quest to have a crowned king caused the animosity which eventually led to war. If they had applied wisdom and patience(though they are warriors) I believe they would have gotten the crown and even local government without war. Owus never fought Egbas yet they got a crowned king. Virtue pays. War will never occur again, I work with DHQ and from little knowledge I have here I believe it will be difficult for towns to fight themselves now. DHQ through DTOP is ready to send soldiers to stop any crisis anywhere in Nigeria now unlike before when govt used to send Mopol and when soldiers come they command both sides to shealth their swords disobedience will lead to soldiers teaching them some lessons which may lead to extermination if they don't surrender on time. A o ni r'ogun mo, a o ni r'ote mo. Whoever was in Ife between 1997 and 1999 would not pray for it's re-occurence. Both sides lost people. RIP Apollo, RIP Femmo, RIP Yellow and the other fallen heroes.....Cheers

At the bolded: Fact, pure fact! Ife and Ijeshas are so close and at times I feel they just love one another naturally. It beats my imagination though.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 10:18pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

Are you saying the Ajaka in your post is the same Ajaka you referred to as Owa Ajibogun the founder of Ijesa? From your excerpt, this Ajaka refers to an Oyo prince an on Oyo throne not Ile-Ife.
The question is the 'oloyo' and 'Alado' - see your previous post below:

Was in transit earlier...

The Ajaka that was a prince was the original Ajaka. The second one who went to look for cure had another name but was nicknamed Ajaka because of his personalty.

I have no reason to doubt the existence of the two people, because the latter Ajaka who founded Ilesha was a warrior King that fought his people out of anger. We all know that the indegenes would not include some bad details about a progenitor of a group of people, there are even situations where they are given god-like status and are worshipped. The historian on the other hand would include everything, whether good or bad especially when they have nothing to lose.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 10:38pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

I just re-read the questions you posed.
The Oloyo was the real son, while Ajaka was a grandson, what I understand is that Ajaka fought everyone close to him as the story of the captured crown of Igbajo was verified which was why the Kings in Igbajo don't wear crowns. I don't know if they do wear it now.

P.S How is the research about Ayikiti coming up?
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:36am On Sep 04, 2013
Konmight: It's good to be here, I love this thread. I'm Ijesha(both parents have been in Ilare since 1974) I was born and raised in Ile-Ife. I have heard various stories about Enuwa, some relatives used to call me Omo Ife whenever I go to Ilesa they say Ijeshaland starts from Enuwa as given to Ajaka by Olofin but I have never heard Ifes and Ijeshas fought any war in my 30yrs in Ilare Ile-Ife till I relocated to Abuja. Modakekes quest to have a crowned king caused the animosity which eventually led to war. If they had applied wisdom and patience(though they are warriors) I believe they would have gotten the crown and even local government without war. Owus never fought Egbas yet they got a crowned king. Virtue pays. War will never occur again, I work with DHQ and from little knowledge I have here I believe it will be difficult for towns to fight themselves now. DHQ through DTOP is ready to send soldiers to stop any crisis anywhere in Nigeria now unlike before when govt used to send Mopol and when soldiers come they command both sides to shealth their swords disobedience will lead to soldiers teaching them some lessons which may lead to extermination if they don't surrender on time. A o ni r'ogun mo, a o ni r'ote mo. Whoever was in Ife between 1997 and 1999 would not pray for it's re-occurence. Both sides lost people. RIP Apollo, RIP Femmo, RIP Yellow and the other fallen heroes.....Cheers
You only looked at the current war between Ife and Modakeke which, as you put it, was as a result of the quest by the Ogunsua of Modakeke to be given a bidded crown. You are wrong. The war dates back hundreds of years ago when the Ife became jealous of the prosperity of (Oyo) Modakeke and asked them to leave their town, cursing and even preventing the lineage of Ooni Awebela (who gave the Oyo land) from producing an ooni.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
You only looked at the current war between Ife and Modakeke which, as you put it, was as a result of the quest by the Ogunsua of Modakeke to be given a bidded crown. You are wrong. The war dates back hundreds of years ago when the Ife became jealous of the prosperity of (Oyo0 Modakeke and asked them to leave their town, cursing and even preventing the lineage of Ooni Awebela (who gave the Oyo land) from producing an ooni.

What prosperity? Please be careful of the statements you type in your posts.
Other than population boom, encroachment and the recent need for beaded crown king, I do not see where jealousy comes in.
Both parties are predominantly farmers and traders. Plus Ife seems to have the edge ahead as far as Osun state is concerned.

And it is Ooni Abewela not Awebela.
So..

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2013
nawti:

I just re-read the questions you posed.
The Oloyo was the real son, while Ajaka was a grandson, what I understand is that Ajaka fought everyone close to him as the story of the captured crown of Igbajo was verified which was why the Kings in Igbajo don't wear crowns. I don't know if they do wear it now.

P.S How is the research about Ayikiti coming up?

I called the 2ndIC to Obalesun whom I share a good rapport with but his number isn't going through, I'm always nervous when talking to Obalesun himself so I do not feel comfy calling him. I've already asked my Mom and my big aunt, neither of them have ever heard the name 'Ayikiti'.
I'm still on it my brother
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:16pm On Sep 04, 2013
olorisa:

What prosperity? Please be careful of the statements you type in your posts.
Other than population boom, encroachment and the recent need for beaded crown king, I do not see where jealousy comes in.
Both parties are predominantly farmers and traders. Plus Ife seems to have the edge ahead as far as Osun state is concerned.

And it is Ooni Abewela nit Awebela.
So..
I'm talking of the recent but hundrends of years ago.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
I'm talking of the recent but hundrends of years ago.

Recent or 100yrs ago, my man there's no jealousy. In the scheme of things Ife is still very much ahead
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:53pm On Sep 04, 2013
olorisa:

Recent or 100yrs ago, my man there's no jealousy. In the scheme of things Ife is still very much ahead
When the people of Ife received the Oyo people (later came to be known as Modakeke) by Ooni Akinmoyero (1770-1890), little did they know that they know that they would prosper.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by sangresan(m): 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nawt,it is better for you to research very well before dumping shit on Nairaland...The whole gist you have been vomiting here is pure mischief...Rev Johnson was an Oyo prince who wrote from Oyo perspective and was never objective...Professional Yoruba historians have found reason to vehemently disagree with Johnson....The first rebuttal to his half-truths was published as far back as 1904 by H. Atundaolu titled,'The History of the Ijesas and other Hinterland Tribes'...Even Johnson's book wasnt yet officially launched by that time...If you really want to educate the people about the history of ethnic relations between the Ifes and the Modakekes,you will do well to consider what numerous scholars have to say...Dont depend on Johnson alone...Johnson stayed in Oyo Alaafin and was told the whole stories by Oyo and Ibadan chiefs...What kind of an intellectual will accept that?Can an Arab be permitted to write Jewish history?...Consider the works of the Yoruba Historical Society(defunct)led by Prof Saburi Biobaku..Read from Prof Banji Akintoye,J F Ade-Ajayi,Akinjogbin, J D Abiola and other greats....To show you how wrong you can be,Ajaka was an Oyo king right but Owa Ajaka isnt the founder of Ilesa...Owa Ajaka(though a warrior king) is different from Owa Ajibogun...This is one of the lies propagated by Johnson as told him by Oyo Griots....I rest my case for now....I do like what I am reading because it can serve as an avenue to enhance brotherhood...What I wont take is a casual fixation with a particular narrative about Yoruba History....There are countless historical records in the National Archive and the Uni of Ib Archive to dispel such rumours...Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2013
sangresan: Nawt,it is better for you to research very well before dumping shit on Nairaland...The whole gist you have been vomiting here is pure mischief...Rev Johnson was an Oyo prince who wrote from Oyo perspective and was never objective...Professional Yoruba historians have found reason to vehemently disagree with Johnson....The first rebuttal to his half-truths was published as far back as 1904 by H. Atundaolu titled,'The History of the Ijesas and other Hinterland Tribes'...Even Johnson's book wasnt yet officially launched by that time...If you really want to educate the people about the history of ethnic relations between the Ifes and the Modakekes,you will do well to consider what numerous scholars have to say...Dont depend on Johnson alone...Johnson stayed in Oyo Alaafin and was told the whole stories by Oyo and Ibadan chiefs...What kind of an intellectual will accept that?Can an Arab be permitted to write Jewish history?...Consider the works of the Yoruba Historical Society(defunct)led by Prof Saburi Biobaku..Read from Prof Banji Akintoye,J F Ade-Ajayi,Akinjogbin, J D Abiola and other greats....To show you how wrong you can be,Ajaka was an Oyo king right but Owa Ajaka isnt the founder of Ilesa...Owa Ajaka(though a warrior king) is different from Owa Ajibogun...This is one of the lies propagated by Johnson as told him by Oyo Griots....I rest my case for now....I do like what I am reading because it can serve as an avenue to enhance brotherhood...What I wont take is a casual fixation with a particular narrative about Yoruba History....There are countless historical records in the National Archive and the Uni of Ib Archive to dispel such rumours...Cheers.

Thanks for the clarifications on some grey areas of the narratives by Rev Johnson, however I would like to point out that the major bane of the history of the Yorubas is the absence of detailed record keeping which leaves much powers to the multiple Authors, with each one of them making assumptions and conclusions based on what they are told by their different sources. I have always heard about Owa Ajibogun, but his records were conspicuously missing from narrative. While we should not take anything away from information as recorded by Rev Johnson, I still believe the information depicts true events as confirmed by other sources that I have personally consulted. Each narrative irrespective of the author would lean to the sentiments of the author, a notable example is the narrative on the Biafran war by Chinua Achebe, which to some extent blamed the war on the Yorubas while exonerating the Igbos. A more complete record would be one written by a body of scholars authorized by the different Kingdoms in the yoruba empires, whose King will certify the authenticity of the information contained therein.

I believe sharing some of these records with regards to how it relates to the Ife would very much help us that would not have an easy access to such archives based on our location.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 04, 2013
sangresan: Nawt,it is better for you to research very well before dumping shit on Nairaland...The whole gist you have been vomiting here is pure mischief...Rev Johnson was an Oyo prince who wrote from Oyo perspective and was never objective...Professional Yoruba historians have found reason to vehemently disagree with Johnson....The first rebuttal to his half-truths was published as far back as 1904 by H. Atundaolu titled,'The History of the Ijesas and other Hinterland Tribes'...Even Johnson's book wasnt yet officially launched by that time...If you really want to educate the people about the history of ethnic relations between the Ifes and the Modakekes,you will do well to consider what numerous scholars have to say...Dont depend on Johnson alone...Johnson stayed in Oyo Alaafin and was told the whole stories by Oyo and Ibadan chiefs...What kind of an intellectual will accept that?Can an Arab be permitted to write Jewish history?...Consider the works of the Yoruba Historical Society(defunct)led by Prof Saburi Biobaku..Read from Prof Banji Akintoye,J F Ade-Ajayi,Akinjogbin, J D Abiola and other greats....To show you how wrong you can be,Ajaka was an Oyo king right but Owa Ajaka isnt the founder of Ilesa...Owa Ajaka(though a warrior king) is different from Owa Ajibogun...This is one of the lies propagated by Johnson as told him by Oyo Griots....I rest my case for now....I do like what I am reading because it can serve as an avenue to enhance brotherhood...What I wont take is a casual fixation with a particular narrative about Yoruba History....There are countless historical records in the National Archive and the Uni of Ib Archive to dispel such rumours...Cheers.

Thank you for the input.
I raised the same notion on the 'Kiriji war' thread few months ago.

Nawti's inputs are very much welcome, they only open the debate to further interpretions. From his 4 recent posts it is obvious Owa Ajibogun and Owa Ajaka are different people because I raised that notion.

Anyways, let's all input our tid-bits then we find a common interpretation then string it all together.

Now the question is what can you bring to the discourse of Ife-Modakeke relations(war) from "Yoruba Historical Society(defunct)led by Prof Saburi Biobaku..Read from Prof Banji Akintoye,J F Ade-Ajayi,Akinjogbin, J D Abiola and other greats"

Thank you and I also await your response.

3 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2013
@ Mr Nawti

I finally got word back from home.
No such king named or nick-named 'Ayikiti' ever ascended the throne in Ife or became Ooni.
Note: I asked the 2ndIC to Obalesun who said no and to further prove he asked Obalesun himself who said the same and contacted the Ooni's palace where he was told 'no such person with that name ever became Ooni in Ile-Ife (or known in Ife history for that matter).

Though they promised to reach me if they find anything related to the name.

Now I'm beginning to doubt the authenticity of the content of the book you culled your excerpts from.

wink

2 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Haywhymido(m): 8:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
Akoraye a gbe wa o. grin
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
Hmm, dat reminds me of Prof. Saburi Oladeinde Biobaku of blessed memory..; 1 of d greatest Yoruba Histographers..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Brief History Of Late Chief MKO Abiola / Nigerian Soldier Wins The Heart Of Passengers.see What He Did(photos) / 2023 Election: Despite Challenges, INEC Had Many Positive Outcomes - Chima Amadi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.