Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? (31460 Views)

The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Ajuran: 6:36am On Oct 05, 2013
A SOMALI WAS HERE
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 05, 2013
Black Kenichi:
They are both linguistic groups not races! Either way Germanic peoples like Bantu peoples are hardly united.
they are both more united than west Indians or black americans anyway . so what is a race?
btw we don't need ur approval to b united ,u don't even have to see it. we feel and it is enough . now define what is a race since Bantu is not a race
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 10:41am On Oct 05, 2013
Black Kenichi:
They are both linguistic groups not races! Either way Germanic peoples like Bantu peoples are hardly united.
How do you define a race?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 10:43am On Oct 05, 2013
Ajuran: A SOMALI WAS HERE
Sorry mate,there is no free food vouchers over here! grin angry

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: they are both more united than west Indians or black americans anyway . so what is a race?
btw we don't need ur approval to b united ,u don't even have to see it. we feel and it is enough . now define what is a race since Bantu is not a race
alanmwene:
How do you define a race?
I have to use Steve Sailer's analogy - A Race is simply an extremely extanded family based on a Continental scale.

There I've defined it.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 2:39pm On Oct 05, 2013
Black Kenichi:

I have to use Steve Sailer's analogy - A Race is simply an extremely extanded family based on a Continental scale.

There I've defined it.
Your definition doesn't any sense at all!What really goes into this "extended family"?The language?The colour of skin?The culture?What does the "contentinental scale" has to do with the definition of a race?In asia,there isn't a single a race that spans the entire continent,but would you say that Indians and Chineses belong to the same race?I think you need to find something better!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2013
alanmwene:
Your definition doesn't any sense at all!
It doesn't make sense if you don't believe in an "extended family".

alanmwene: What really goes into this "extended family"?The language?The colour of skin?The culture?
Ancestry and Genetics.

alanmwene: What does the "contentinental scale" has to do with the definition of a race?
Scientists have found that human genes do for seperate genetic clusters around continental areas. These "genetic clusters" more or less fit into what old anthropologists called races. Hence you have terms like "Amerindian/Native American", Austro-Melanesian, South Asian/Indian subcontinental etc. Is "race" a neatly packaged model? Nope.
Hell scientists use the term "ancestry" or "populations" to describe "race"

alanmwene: In asia,there isn't a single a race that spans the entire continent,but would you say that Indians and Chineses belong to the same race?I think you need to find something better!
Never said there was. However they do find that West and East Eurasians are pretty distinct from each other on a genetic level. South Asians are distinct from the former populations that I mentioned on a genetic level as well.

Either way I don't wanna derail this thread any more.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 4:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
If ancestry and genetics define and an extended family,can you tell us why aren't bantus an extended family?Bettter still,going by your definition of a race,can you tell us why aren't bantus a race?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 4:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
alanmwene: If ancestry and genetics define and an extended family,can you tell us why aren't bantus an extended family? Bettter still,going by your definition of a race,can you tell us why aren't bantus a race?
Bantus are to a certain extent an extended family as their underlying genetic component is Niger-Kordofanian/West African, however Bantus have absorbed a lot genes from other Africans during their expansion.
Bantu has and always will be a linguistical term. It was never meant to be a racial or genetic term. It only became racial or genetic term when Euro-colonists decided that Bantus are homogenous because they speak similar languages.

I have no problem with the word/term Bantu! I certainly think more research should be done on the Bantu Migration.

However as I said to CAMEROONPRIDE:
Black Kenichi:
No you don't. What does a Central African forest dwelling bantu have in common with a Xhosa speaking pastoral bantu?
What does a Mijikenda ethnic groups on the coast of Kenya have in common with the say the Ovimbundu ethnic on the coast of Angola?

The fact of the matter is that Bantu don't have much in common apart from the similar languages

I mean look at the area that the Bantu occupy and you're telling me that Bantu speaking ethnic groups have loads in common?:

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 12:13am On Oct 06, 2013
onila:

igbos are the most successful ethnic group in Africa

best believe that
Ugly igbos /Dog eaters are the most successful ethnic group in nigeria/ west africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 06, 2013
alanmwene:
Your definition doesn't any sense at all!What really goes into this "extended family"?The language?The colour of skin?The culture?What does the "contentinental scale" has to do with the definition of a race?In asia,there isn't a single a race that spans the entire continent,but would you say that Indians and Chineses belong to the same race?I think you need to find something better!
don't mind .we are a race and proud one . I knew he was going to bite his tongue.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 1:53am On Oct 06, 2013
onila: senegalese grin

igbos are found everywhere in Africa doing business and doing well
In my country they are selling "white sugar" illegally to my people, I don't consider them as business woman/ man. @ Cameroonpride I salute you. Bantu was offensive word during apartheit period in south africa, especially to us black south africans, Now I understand the root of the word Bantu because of you and others. Inyama(meat) umuntu,motho,mutu(person) ndawo( is a place in sa, you call it house). Thank you ones again Cameroonpride.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 5:14am On Oct 06, 2013
Mr P(SA):
In my country they are selling "white sugar" illegally to my people, I don't consider them as business woman/ man. @ Cameroonpride I salute you. Bantu was offensive word during apartheit period in south africa, especially to us black south africans, Now I understand the root of the word Bantu because of you and others. Inyama(meat) umuntu,motho,mutu(person) ndawo( is a place in sa, you call it house). Thank you ones again Cameroonpride.
whites hate us because we are one of the rare if not the only African that fought and defeated them.so don't mind the pigs my brothers. Now others Africans are pouring their hate and frustrations on us, but the truth remains the most successful African countries are ruled by Bantu, the richer , wealthier. Never ever consider Bantu as offensive. Bantu is what we are and we are proud of it .

I really feel honored by your comment. All is well my brother, our race is great and shall remain great

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 06, 2013
Mr P(SA):
btw don't mind that Onila. Who are the Igbos before any Bantu? What is an igbo?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 5:22am On Oct 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: btw don't mind that Onila. Who are the Igbos before any Bantu? What is an igbo?

Who were the Bantus before Bantu?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 06, 2013
Fulaman198:

Who were the Bantus before Bantu?
i don't get your question .
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 5:58am On Oct 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i don't get your question .

Khoisan came before Bantus
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 06, 2013
Fulaman198:

Khoisan came before Bantus
where ?.I'm really confused my man .I don't know where u are going with that.
What I meant by before is in front of us lol
What is an igbo or A non Bantu in front of a Bantu?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 9:03am On Oct 06, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: where ?.I'm really confused my man .I don't know where u are going with that.
What I meant by before is in front of us lol
What is an igbo or A non Bantu in front of a Bantu?

I'm not so sure what you mean my friend, Bantus might be older than Igbo people, I'm not 100% sure.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
Fulaman198:

I'm not so sure what you mean my friend, Bantus might be older than Igbo people, I'm not 100% sure.
we are older. That's a fact
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 15, 2013
I was really hoping Zairois would be completely ignored.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Abagworo(m): 10:07am On Oct 15, 2013
btw don't mind that Onila. Who are the Igbos before any Bantu? What is an igbo?

I even thought Igbos were Bantu. Are Congolese Bantu?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Zairois: 10:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
Igbo aren't bantu they are FUFU like all you west africans fufu
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 11:10pm On Oct 15, 2013
Abagworo:

I even thought Igbos were Bantu. Are Congolese Bantu?

Congo has a variety of ethnic groups, but yes they are Bantus
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 11:12pm On Oct 15, 2013
Zairois, faut que tu te calmes. J'ai debloqué quelques posts ou tu utilises des mots pas necessaires.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Zairois: 7:32am On Oct 16, 2013
Okay let me rephrase my self. Bantu isn't a race it's a linguistic group! It simply means that in the language I speak and the one the one Paul kagame speaks have a similar word for "people" we both refer to people as Bantu. Althought if you refer to us as bantu it is similar to us congolese Rwandese and Tanzanians Kenyans etc referring to west Africans as Fufu since you all eat that and call it the same word.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 7:38am On Oct 16, 2013
Zairois: Okay let me rephrase my self. Bantu isn't a race it's a linguistic group! It simply means that in the language I speak and the one the one Paul kagame speaks have a similar word for "people" we both refer to people as Bantu. Althought if you refer to us as bantu it is similar to us congolese Rwandese and Tanzanians Kenyans etc referring to west Africans as Fufu since you all eat that and call it the same word.

What you said does not even make sense, Fufu is a food. Bantu is a language group. West Africans have several language groups from Nilo-Saharan, to Niger-Congo (which has languages like Igboid, Yoruboid, Senegambian, etc.) and Afro-Asiatic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ogun Eyonu Awon Agba Todaju / History Made In Ikorodu As Solat Was Observed On Their Late King / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.