Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,497 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? (12913 Views)

An Encounter With A Stranger / Silent Confrontation-i Wore Same Dress As My Husband's Mistress / Advise : My Wife Is Pregnat For A Stranger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 4:33am On Sep 04, 2013
We all have pet peeves,I have mine,one of them is running into someone wearing the same outfit as myself
Gosh!!
That is soooooooo annoying
Worse at a dress up party.
You spend some money,go to Dillards or Lord and Taylor to pick out an outfit that'll cost a couple of hundreds
Get your nails done,eyebrows arched,the right shoes and handbag to match and appear at the occasion and there's a lady dressed just like you.

I have been there
It was not amusing.
Being budget conscious,I've never stepped into Bloomingdales ,Neiman Marcus and such high end stores that affords one fewer chances of seeing someone wearing your dress.
I am contented going to Macy's (with my coupons),Kohl's and Marshalls unless I need a formal wear,then I go to Dillards or Nordstrom.That's about it.
So there's always the "risk" of running into women who shop at the same stores wearing the same things
I can handle it in a casual outing though,few minutes,you part ways tbut I never expected this to happen in this formal setting.

Here I was,rocking this new outfit,feeling on top of the world and I spotted this woman wearing the same top and same color bottoms and my heart just about dropped into my groin area.
Oh Lord why?
Why did I have to drive hours to a party to support a friend and run into a fellow guest wearing practically the exact same outfit.
My friends tried to consoled me by saying I wore it better (LOL) but that wasn't enough
I avoided being close to the girl
she probably hated me too
We avoided eye contacts
She was heavier than me so that made me feel better (LOL)

At dinner time,I looked around,she was no longer there,I heaved a sigh of relief as I dug into my fried goat meat.
She couldn't take it probably
good for me,good for her too
At dance time,I spotted her,poor girl
she had changed her outfit
I won
I wasn't going to change
I didn't even have anything befitting to change into so that wasn't even a choice
Someone needed to change,thank God it was her lol
I felt a little sorry for her because our dress was better than what she changed into
Obviously the asho ebi we had on was her first choice.
but I was glad she did the right thing
I enjoyed the rest of the party, alleluia!

http://www.nigeriancircle.com/forum/showthread.php?393-My-simple-life

4 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 4:58am On Sep 04, 2013
Loool. . . Ive been there too.
Mine was at a wedding.
We dressed so alike even to the shoes. No one believe we had never met. They all thought we planned it.

When our eyes met we laughed at each other. Turned out we had the same personalities cos we started talking and we've been close friends since then.

18 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 04, 2013
Been there and learnt the hard way.

I buy clothes and don't wear them until they have lasted 9 months in my closet. cool
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by mysticgal(f): 7:23am On Sep 04, 2013
i attended a wedding recently,bought this beautifull wrapper,designed it,and then on the d day,knack it with sandals,and people were like,argh,person should not mistake me for the bride,smiley only to get the venue to see one alien from planet neptune wearing the same wrapper.to worsen it,my competitor was a guy,before i know it,one old woman came up to me and asked*nne,is that your husband* pointing to the guy embarassed arghhhh my day was ruined,got home and cried afterwards,the clothe still the my box shaundecided

4 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by temi4fash(m): 7:50am On Sep 04, 2013
mysticgal: i attended a wedding recently,bought this beautifull wrapper,designed it,and then on the d day,knack it with sandals,and people were like,argh,person should not mistake me for the bride,smiley only to get the venue to see one alien from planet neptune wearing the same wrapper.to worsen it,my competitor was a guy,before i know it,one old woman came up to me and asked*nne,is that your husband* pointing to the guy embarassed arghhhh my day was ruined,got home and cried afterwards,the clothe still the my box shaundecided

Sowi oo but y did u cry?

1 Like

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 04, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by damiso(f): 8:15am On Sep 04, 2013
Its never really happened to me at a party or event but very well at church and work.And they were often shirts by one company TM Lewin angry or even Hawes and Curtis sef. ; grin grin ;DD.TM lewin shirts esp became like aso ebi for most nigerians so if you to a majorly naija church chances are someone will be wearing somethibg like your shirt grin.So I started wearing them to work and decided to buy the plain ones at least a plain white shirt is a plain white shirt.

I dont even really buy their shirts anymore cos I have discovered some other shops do tailored shirts well.A bit pricier but well worth the additional few quid.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 04, 2013
mysticgal: i attended a wedding recently,bought this beautifull wrapper,designed it,and then on the d day,knack it with sandals,and people were like,argh,person should not mistake me for the bride,smiley only to get the venue to see one alien from planet neptune wearing the same wrapper.to worsen it,my competitor was a guy,before i know it,one old woman came up to me and asked*nne,is that your husband* pointing to the guy embarassed arghhhh my day was ruined,got home and cried afterwards,the clothe still the my box shaundecided
Just imagining how u will feel.
Very embarrasing at times.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 04, 2013
damiso: Its never really happened to me at a party or event but very well at church and work.And they were often shirts by one company TM Lewin angry or even Hawes and Curtis sef. ; grin grin ;DD.TM lewin shirts esp became like aso ebi for most nigerians so if you to a majorly naija church chances are someone will be wearing somethibg like your shirt grin.So I started wearing them to work and decided to buy the plain ones at least a plain white shirt is a plain white shirt.

I dont even really buy their shirts anymore cos I have discovered some other shops do tailored shirts well.A bit pricier but well worth the additional few quid.

I'm interested in trying out other brands too. Tired of the T.M thing.
My fear is that I don't know which brand to go for and how to get the original.
Can u pls name some good ones for me.
Thanks
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 04, 2013
Well, its not custom made na.
If person get him money buy cloth, I also use my money buy cloth no wahala na.

Its just a dress to me oh. The one I don't do is wedding aso ebi, not because I don't like wearing same clothes but because I find it wasteful and unnecessary.
Why must I buy a new wrapper for every wedding.

Why can't I wear what I want?

IT happened to me, I laughed it off called her my twin and we had a "who wore it better" conversation.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 04, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 04, 2013
This is why some of us would never understand women fully. When you bought the dress, you saw at least another 10 of it on display. Why would you think no one else would ever buy it. Anyway, I just cant get women at times.

But does it matter who was wearing the dress. If it was some rich woman that is a very popular socialite, would you still feel bad wearing the same dress with her?

13 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by RoyalRoy(m): 10:19am On Sep 04, 2013
Nashville: This is why some of us would never understand women fully. When you bought the dress, you saw at least another 10 of it on display. Why would you think no one else would ever buy it. Anyway, I just cant get women at times.

But does it matter who was wearing the dress. If it was some rich woman that is a very popular socialite, would you still feel bad wearing the same dress with her?

So on-point!!!

Can't be bothered if I share an outfit with someone else, as long as he looks well & good in it.

I have had regrets way back though, while I was in University, bought this very expensive Nike snickers.
I treat it like the car I never had at the time!

I wear it only when I have some "toasting" job to do!!

Got a fine chic to toast one faithful day, wore my $100 Nike snickers, all clean & dazzling!!

Getting down from the cab, I opened the ladies hostel gate, I got in & discovered their gateman had the same snickers on...all tattered & well used!!

I lost my morale,started having stomach cramps & I got muscle pull of the mouth.
Couldn't toast the lady anymore.

What a ruined day!!!

11 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 04, 2013
This happened to me at a friend's wedding last year. Mine was so embarrassing. I was told the colors of the day so I went shopping, bought a dress that had one of the major colors. The day came, i wore the dress with a nice shoe and purse to go, feeling cool and on top of the world. Got there and Alas! The bridal train wore the exact color and Style! (With very little variation) angry . I just couldn't stop hiding that day. My friends laughed me to Scorn! These days, I ask the color and even style of the bridal train before going for any wedding.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 04, 2013
Royal Roy:

So on-point!!!

Can't be bothered if I share an outfit with someone else, as long as he looks well & good in it.

I have had regrets way back though, while I was in University, bought this very expensive Nike snickers.
I treat it like the car I never had at the time!

I wear it only when I have some "toasting" job to do!!
Got a fine chic to toast one faithful day, wore my $100 Nike snickers, all clean & toosh!! Getting down from the cab, I opened the ladies hostel gate, got in & discovered their gateman had the same snickers on...all tattered & well used!!

I lost my morale, had stomach cramps & muscle pull of the mouth.

What a ruined day!!!

LOOLLL, Its even worse for club supporters, I remember my cousin gave me money to buy him a Jersey, had his name writen at the back as original as they come.
The day he came to collect it, he removed his shirt and wore it proudly, as we were seeing him off to the car, there comes this shoe shiner in his same Jersey, my cousin after the initial "shock" shouts "Up Gunners" at the shoe shinner who equally replies, they had a hand shake and case closed. Didn't stop him from walking around proudly in it.

There are over 7billion people in the world, the best I can hope for is tht its just one me! But for wearing the same clothes, that one na tall dream so its easier to just free your mind

6 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by damiso(f): 12:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
yellowpawpaw:

I'm interested in trying out other brands too. Tired of the T.M thing.
My fear is that I don't know which brand to go for and how to get the original.
Can u pls name some good ones for me.
Thanks

YPP as CC said Thomas Pink is a very good one though they are never on sale (God knows why), I dont know if they have started selling Charles Tyrwhit (I hope I got the spelling right) in Naija but they are also nice.Next too also has the odd nice tailored shirts and I also buy Zara but they dont do shirt shirt I.e tailored shirts.They are more smart casual but we women depending on where you work can get away with some things that men cant.

Another trick (might be boring for some people) is to buy plain shirts.I prefer plain shirts now and there is just something so simple yet elegant about a plain white shirt with anything(jeans, skirts, trousers, chinos pants etc).I find all those stripe pattern pattern are the ones that often look like uniforms.

Like CC and debrief I am begginning to hate aso ebi,, its just getting ridiculous.In the year before I got married and I am not exagerrating if I do a rough appraisal of how much I spent on aso ebi I.e fabric and sewing, it would be over 300k cos I had weddings almost every saturday back then.Half of those are back in my old room in Naija I probably cant fit into them anymore embarassed.At least other clothes are more functional.I also almost never wear them again.What a waste of resources.I also almost always hate the colour scheme, fabric or this one that they do now in the Uk is pick something with a ready made style ie oleku angry.Except you are close to me, am begginning to diplomatically refuse to buy (to my husband's delight grin).

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
damiso:

YPP as CC said Thomas Pink is a very good one though they are never on sale (God knows why), I dont know if they have started selling Charles Tyrwhit (I hope I got the spelling right) in Naija but they are also nice.Next too also has the odd nice tailored shirts and I also buy Zara but they dont do shirt shirt I.e tailored shirts.They are more smart casual but we women depending on where you work can get away with some things that men cant.

Another trick (might be boring for some people) is to buy plain shirts.I prefer plain shirts now and there is just something so simple yet elegant about a plain white shirt with anything(jeans, skirts, trousers, chinos pants etc).I find all those stripe pattern pattern are the ones that often look like uniforms.

Like CC and debrief I am begginning to hate aso ebi,, its just getting ridiculous.In the year before I got married and I am not exagerrating if I do a rough appraisal of how much I spent on aso ebi I.e fabric and sewing, it would be over 300k cos I had weddings almost every saturday back then.Half of those are back in my old room in Naija I probably cant fit into them anymore embarassed.At least other clothes are more functional.I also almost never wear them again.What a waste of resources.I also almost always hate the colour scheme, fabric or this one that they do now in the Uk is pick something with a ready made style ie oleku angry.Except you are close to me, am begginning to diplomatically refuse to buy (to my husband's delight grin).

Thanks so much.
I will look out for them. Its just that chinco is too much in naija, if u r not careful u may buy inferior quality.
Again thank u.

As for d asoebi, pple get time. I stopped it at school. Just tell me d color, that's all. Even during my wedding,I told them my colours. U can wear anything u want. I so much hate uniform. Even me and hubby don't do that.
I dress up for church or a function and he wears d same, I don pull be that. Makes me uncomfortable.

CC thank u ma,I've taken note
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nawah oh . . Change my outfit co someone else was wearing it? For wetin? I don't see myslef doing that, it's silly really. As far as it's not a customized outfit then a lot of other women has the exact same attire.

Me I no dey send that kind thing jor . .

1 Like

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by baby124: 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
I will bone and wear mine proudly. Though after the event, i will go and hide the dress or dash it out. Especially if i know in my heart it was a very cheap buy. grin

1 Like

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
babyosisi: We all have pet peeves, I have mine, one of them is running into someone wearing the same outfit as myself
Only two ways to avoid this.. (1) Luck. (2) You're wealthy enough to buy only bespoke apparel. . . . Otherwise, na you sabi.

1 Like

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by simdam500(m): 11:46pm On Sep 04, 2013
Br3nd4: Loool. . . Ive been there too.
Mine was at a wedding.
We dressed so alike even to the shoes. No one believe we had never met. They all thought we planned it.

When our eyes met we laughed at each other. Turned out we had the same personalities cos we started talking and we've been close friends since then.
maturity

4 Likes

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 05, 2013
pro01:
Only two ways to avoid this.. (1) Luck. (2) You're wealthy enough to buy only bespoke apparel. . . . Otherwise, na you sabi.

Lol very true .... but still , what are the odds??

Wore same outfit as the couple ( Evening party , Shina peters played wink) ..... cool Austrian ribbon lace.. some Nigerians sha , the woman sworn the design was limited then.

People mistook us for the couple and gave us envelopes several times. Got few bad looks when the couple came out tho. undecided

As for aso ebi , I like buying it... I heard if you have many girls you need to.

1 Like

Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by vivianc(f): 4:11am On Sep 05, 2013
Ujujoan: Nawah oh . . Change my outfit co someone else was wearing it? For wetin? I don't see myslef doing that, it's silly really. As far as it's not a customized outfit then a lot of other women has the exact same attire.

Me I no dey send that kind thing jor . .

My sister i tire o. Me sef no send.

I'd really love to wear same attire with hubby sometimes when the time comes.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 4:23am On Sep 05, 2013
I may be the only Nigerian woman that doesn't have uniform with hubby
Not a single one and it bothers me not
Don't be shocked,I am married to a suit wearer and I am a pants and blouse kinda girl
We no dey for too much trado
I match my tops with his ties sometimes sha
I hate asho ebi,I never wear them after the event
I just don't like wearing uniform with people
Most of my colleagues wear scrubs to work,I hate uniforms so I don't wear scrubs
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Ndipe(m): 4:45am On Sep 05, 2013
Pettiness! Guys dont care but I just wonder why women care about wearing an identical outfit as a fellow guest, yet at wedding ceremonies, they are the first to line up to buy identical aso-ebi.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 5:12am On Sep 05, 2013
^^ that's women for you grin

After you buy the aso ebi , you receive another aso ebi as a favor /gratitude again.. enough aso ebi grin
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by armyofone(m): 5:23am On Sep 05, 2013
never happened to me. i'm almost always in Jeans anyway.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Pataki: 8:23am On Sep 05, 2013
armyofone: never happened to me. i'm almost always in Jeans anyway.
Skinny jeans?? *Drooling*
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 05, 2013
^^Lol

@topic

I don't remember ever buying aso ebi.....
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 05, 2013
Pataki:
Skinny jeans?? *Drooling*

Ashewo!
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by Pataki: 11:14am On Sep 05, 2013
Ujujoan:

Ashewo!
SHARAPP! Olodo.
Re: Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event? by august5: 12:24pm On Sep 05, 2013
you are not the only one,same with hubby,no single native&i am also the jean&top typeso we have never worn aso ebi.too
babyosisi: I may be the only Nigerian woman that doesn't have uniform with hubby
Not a single one and it bothers me not
Don't be shocked,I am married to a suit wearer and I am a pants and blouse kinda girl
We no dey for too much trado
I match my tops with his ties sometimes sha
I hate asho ebi,I never wear them after the event
I just don't like wearing uniform with people
Most of my colleagues wear scrubs to work,I hate uniforms so I don't wear scrubs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Does Marriage Mean To You? / MOTHERS’ DAY: A Poem Dedicated To All Mothers / Whose Church Should The Wedding Be Held?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.