Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

What Does Marriage Mean To You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Does Marriage Mean To You? (12910 Views)

Does Marriage Change Men For The Better? / Does Marriage Mean More Expenses? / Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Fynestboi: 7:02pm On Nov 15, 2013
Perhaps 50 years ago, it would have been awkward and superfluous to ask this question. In the late 60s through the 70s and earlier part of the 80s, marriage was seen as what a man and a woman go into for the rest of their lives; it was very odd to hear of separation and divorce.

In fact, it was normal for a woman to be unmarried than to be a divorcee. But I must also add that troubled marriages were all around as I grew up.

In those days too the only meaning of gay I knew was happiness. I cannot recall gay being associated with homosexuality as a synonym. Today homosexuality comes tops when searching for synonyms of gay. These and other factors prompted me to pose this question today; what does marriage mean to you? I am sure if everybody is to answer there will be varied answers as there are varied human beings and personalities.

So I am just going to answer the question from my perspective What is marriage? Marriage to me is”the matrimonial covenant between a man and a woman for life, (which) by its nature (is) ordered towards the good of spouses and the procreation and education of offspring…”( The Catechism of the Catholic Church).

Marriage is a partnership for life… “And God said, ‘for this reason a man will leave his father and mother and unite with his wife, and the two will become one.’ So they are no longer two but one. Man must not separate then what God has joined together.” (Mathew 19:5-6). It is not easy to separate what has been merged. I was actively involved in the merger of Fidelity Bank, FSB International Bank and Manny Bank. Today the initial blurred dividing lines between those three banks have evaporated. All we know today is Fidelity bank. If those three banks were to revert to their pre-merger status, I do not even want to contemplate the mess and chaos it will create.

Marriage is also a covenant. A covenant is a binding agreement between or among the parties going into it. Marriage as a covenant binds the spouses forever; it is an irrevocable commitment only death can annul. This covenant is likened to the relationship between Jesus Christ and his church as St. Paul teaches the early Christian community at Ephesus in the First Century (Ephesians 5:21-33). In addition, because marriage as a covenant it involves sacrifice, and sacrifice involves death. Death in this case is death to self (putting the other person and his/her interests before yours or subsuming your interests …). Sacrifice requires you to give up something, hence King David said: “I will not offer sacrifice to the Lord, my God which will cost me nothing.”(1 Chronicle 21:24; 2Samuel 24:24).

Marriage cannot be successful if you go into it with your whole self without putting to death some aspects that might be unhealthy… and invariably endanger its success.

A person who goes into marriage with whole self is selfish, and selfishness does not cohabit with successful marriages. Making sacrifice is not about your spouse only; it also includes your children; that is if you want them to turn out well.

You think it is convenient for Barrack Obama to leave his busy schedule to attend his daughter’s school game? In the mid-90s I accompanied my boss to his children’s school’s end-of-year activities. There I met so many movers and shakers of corporate Nigeria, men you normally see regularly only in the media. Was their presence convenient for them? I guess not; they had to make sacrifices to be there for their children.

Marriage and family are delicate and tricky issues. Like Rome there are many ways to a fulfilling marriage and happy family life. I do not claim to know all or have all the answers. Every marriage is a work in progress.

That is why the marriage institution has not produced a single graduate since its establishment in the Garden of Eden. You enter and exit a student. It is one institution where you cannot be too relaxed or take things for granted lest you fail. Sometime ago, a 99-year old Italian man filed for divorce of his 97 years old wife of 77 years. Reason: The wife had an affair over 60 years ago, but the man just stumbled on the evidence (letters from the lover boy).

Only God knows why she was still keeping those letters! When he confronted her, she owned up to the affair. Swiftly, the man filed for divorce. By the time the divorce is through, they will enter the Guinness book of records as the oldest couple to divorce and probably the oldest marriage to fall apart. Some record, you would say, but it brings to fore the delicate nature of marriage.

Al Gore’s (former Us Vice President under Bill Clinton) and his wife, Tipper Gore, separated after 40 years of marriage! In 1998, the 38 years marriage of Frederik Willem de Klerk (last President of apartheid-era South Africa) to his wife, Marike de Klerk, collapsed due to the former’s infidelity. Marriage reminds me of St. Paul’s admonition: whoever thinks he is standing firm had better be careful that he does not fall. (I Corinthians 10:12).

No happy or successful marriage happens by accident; it is the product of hardwork and conscious efforts.

By Farancis Ewherido

12 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 16, 2013
Marriage is simply ''LIFE'' .... And it deserves to be protected unless it become a threat !!!

2 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 17, 2013
The coming together of man and woman to become Husband and Wife!!
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Roland17(m): 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
A situation when you finally realize and accept that "LOVE IS NOT EVERYTHING"

3 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Etumgbe(m): 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2013
Man and woman staying together and doing 'something' every night

1 Like

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by angelTI(f): 1:41pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage, Marriage, Marriage!

One of the most dreaded institutions
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by homesteady(m): 1:41pm On Nov 18, 2013
It means a lot! It goes beyond the normal definition of 'A man and woman coming together to start up a family'
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by pembisco(m): 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2013
A man nd woman fu*kin each oda legally
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by iluvweed(m): 1:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage to my own understanding means naively committing yourself to one person for the rest of your life... undecided, while choosing to ignore the fact that in a few years say 5-10yrs they are going to become the most boring, annoying, aggravating, foolish, bad-mannered, unattractive slob you've ever met.... embarassed, and you're going to wake up every morning wondering what the HELL you were thinking when you were scoping yourself that you'd be happy forever with this person you can hardly stand!.............. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Then you get divorced, and fight over the kids for the next 10-20yrs........ grin grin grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Aromas: 1:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
Fabulousuzo: The coming together of man and woman to become Husband and Wife!!
CONTINUATION
Also a high institution where by both hands need to work together to accomplish their set of goals.
EXAMPLES OF GOALS ARE
1 Bringing up a reasonable children with moral value n education.
2 Praying together every moment they are together.
3 Marital sex should be like flowing of ocean which we not let the other hand to look outside.
4 Respect to every members of families.

1 Like

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by donguutti: 1:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
MARRIAGE - A Place Where unhappy people Go, to either find happiness or make others Unhappy grin

8 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 18, 2013
Part of God's commandments.
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Ruq: 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2013
Signing up for one pusssy for life.

1 Like

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by buchibabe: 1:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
1. Life long institution
2.Death sentence (depending on d kind of partner u marry)
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by mumumugu(m): 1:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
an organised legal sex
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is the husband

4 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by cocobabe(f): 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
Aromas:
CONTINUATION
Also a high institution where by both hands need to work together to accomplish their set of goals.
EXAMPLES OF GOALS ARE
1 Bringing up a reasonable children with moral value n education.
2 Praying together every moment they are together.................why undecidedno food no do do shocked
3 Marital sex should be like flowing of ocean which we not let the other hand to look outside.
4 Respect to every members of families.

THE END grin

4 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by idy15: 1:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
marriage means :
wedding
then
husband, wife secret meeting @ room
then much later pikin come
say daddy, mummy,
Family things

next question
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage to me means, deciding to spend the rest of your life and everything you have with that special someone, with the hope of keeping each other happy, satisfied and fulfilled. Oh and of course helping in making each other's dreams a reality. grin wink

4 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
-
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Sijo01(f): 1:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage is the greatest form of love, and it is a sacred bond only two people can share. It means tolerance, perseverance, respect, understanding, sacrifices etc.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2013
Hornyboo0bz: Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is the husband

Haha funny but nice tho.
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2013
donroxy: Marriage is simply ''LIFE'' .... And it deserves to be protected unless it become a threat !!!

Fallacy
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by codeworks(m): 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
bondage
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
mumumugu: an organised legal sex

Is sex all about marriage, it is a microcosm of the macrocosm!
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
buchibabe: 1. Life long institution
2.Death sentence (depending on d kind of partner u marry)

Agreed, especially the comment in parenthesis.
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Ipheyemmy01(m): 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Etumgbe: Man and woman staying together and doing 'something' every night
Baby mentality is it only in the night u have right to ur wife... Well maybe na one room u dey stay.
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by SlyIg(f): 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Na legal sex marathon!
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
iluvweed: Marriage to my own understanding means naively committing yourself to one person for the rest of your life... undecided, while choosing to ignore the fact that in a few years they are going to become the most boring, annoying, aggravating, spiteful, bad-mannered, unattractive slob you've ever met.... embarassed, and you're going to wake up every morning wondering what the HELL you were thinking when you kidded yourself that you'd be happy forever with this person you can hardly stand!.............. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Then you get divorced, and fight over the kids for the next decade........ grin grin grin grin grin grin

Cant agree less!
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage is like a three-speed gearbox: affection,
friendship, love.
Re: What Does Marriage Mean To You? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 18, 2013
Fynestboi:

No happy or successful marriage happens by accident; it is the product of hardwork and conscious efforts.

By Farancis Ewherido

What is the hardwork and conscious efforts mentioned in this literature? Please expatiate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

HELP S.O.S- My Wife's New Job / Should We Really Ignore Dysfunctional Families? / Which Bank Is The Best To Open A Kiddies Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.